Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Circus City IPA - Big Top Brewing Company

Circus City IPA
No picture.

Big Top Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: PorterLambic on 12-03-2013

Deep. Mello. Not fruit. Ale with hop dash and no rash. Sweet afternotes and nice job all around. Not amazing but I have to hand it to the boys and girls at Big Top, being a Sarasota local me-self. We are on the way to making a place on the map for craft wetness.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As a non ipa lover, i was pleasantly surprised. Hoppy, but not overwhelming. Malty, but not sweet. A relatively balanced brew with a very hazy appearance.

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

Arrives a dark honey color with red running throughout. The white head is small with little retention and no lace to speak of.
Smell is notes of hops and malt and not much else.
Taste is a well balanced mixture of hops, malt and grass notes. Not the hop bomb that is so prevalent in most American IPA's, that's why it's listed as an English IPA.
Medium bodied with a lighter than expected effervescence. Drying from start to finish. A little oddly, to me, also a slight warming aspect to it. Very nice.
Well done for a first release. And on a 75 F early December day just a few miles from the brewery, it was well received by all I talked to who partook. Hope the tasting room opens soon.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Just as good as Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City. Florida beer is getting much better.

Revised review 2/12/15 - The most recent six pack I bought was not good. Flavor not as good. Flatter, less citrus. The BIG PROBLEM is the canned beer was over carbonated. Some cans (cold from the fridge) would foam over as soon as I opened them. All cans created a HUGE HEAD when poured. I know how to pour a beer to minimize the head. This is impossible with Big Top IPA. It foams to the top of a pint glass with only about 1 inch of beer on the bottom. You have to let it settle for 10 minutes, then pour some more, then let that settle, then finally pour the remainder of the can.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

Not a particularly robust IPA. The aroma was highly subdued, bordering on vacant and the bitterness that proceeded did not provide a particularly impressive hop character. Overall, a decent beer but not an IPA that I would actively pursue. The hop character on all levels was faint and one would expect, given that Citrus is in the name, that the hop character would lend a substantial citrus character, but it did not

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Brown in color with a tight off-white head and lots of yeast sediment.

Aroma of caramel and juicy tropical fruit.

The taste mixes a quick sharp metallic bitter bite with tannin-like tea-like flavors and sweet malt that reminds me of breakfast breads. The bitterness fades quickly and doesn't linger.

Smooth and creamy body.

Overall a sweeter take on the American IPA.

Pours an amber shade of gold with off-white head. Floral notes, malt, and some hay and grass on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with a bready note. Too malty for me.

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

A-Copper in color, with an off-white head
S-No real hop aroma that I can detect. Malt is not pronounced either. I get a yeast, bread odor
M-Medium to light body, with carbonation being modest and not over powering
T-There is a distinct sweetness at the front end with a weak and mellow bitterness in the finish
O-This beer is as vague and uncharasmatic as its description of itself on the can...read the can, uninspiring.

1.49/5  rDev -55.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is horrible. It's an IPA, but it tastes like coconut water. It even smells like coconut water. Now, I typically like coconut water, but not when I'm supposed to be drinking an IPA.
For instance, I like the smell of fried chicken when it's fried chicken. But if it's my grandmother's feet that smell like fried chicken, it's an entire different ball game.

I bought a can of this today and it's f'n horrible. I'm currently halfway through it and debating calling it quits. I never leave a beer unfinished, but this is a unique situation.
Sorry for not breaking this beer down into notes and tones, but this beer is something I'd much rather forget.
Sorry, Sarasota, but this brew should be called "Clown's Nutsack". Ugggggggggh.

1.03/5  rDev -69.3%

This is the worst beer I've ever tried. I even returned it to the store and I never do that. It tasted overly hoppy and I'm pretty sure they used cheap pellets and too much at that. There was no balance of malt and hop. It was overly powerful with cheap hops and a sour hint of the malt they used, likely cheap. Also Sarasota city water is really bad and disgusting. I doubt they filtered it. People wonder why some breweries move to Manatee county, apart from better economic opportunities regarding brewing, the water is much cleaner and better tasting.

If I could rate it 0, I would. And for $9.99 a six pack, you're better off just throwing that cash in the garbage disposal.

Circus City IPA from Big Top Brewing Company