First Stand - Texian Brewing Company

First StandFirst Stand

Texian Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jame515 on 12-26-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by ExaltedNecrosis:
4.09/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into tulip glass.

A - Pours an opaque gold with 3-4 fingers of foamy white head.

S - Not a strong aroma but I pick up Belgian yeast, clove, and some pepper notes.

T - This has a nice light taste with lots of Belgian yeast, lemon, clove, and a little pepper on the back end. It's crisp and dry with minimal bitterness.

M - Moderate body with very high carbonation. The prickly carbonation brings out the flavors nicely and makes them pop on the tongue. Very refreshing.

O - I was very impressed by this, as I am generally not a fan of saisons. I can see myself kicking back with a few of these in the summer, and the price can't be beaten as far as saisons go. I'm glad to support another Texas brewery that cans, as well. Great job Texian!

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

I did not mention it during a recent interview (no lie!) about The CANQuest (TM), but a useful tenet of action is that if a CAN begins making odd noises and begins to act as though it will burst and explode, it should be reviewed as quickly as possible, no matter where its current place in the CANQueue. Such was the case with another of Texian's CANs yesterday and so I am going to review its brethren today to circumvent any possible explosions. A thanks goes out to @jenray for sending me some of this new brewery's CANs.

From the CAN: "Made in Texas"; "In 1835, Mexico tightened their grip on their states & territories. Mexico had given the town of Gonzales a [CAN]non for protection. Now the army sough to re-take the [CAN]non. The Texians called out for help & soon the town swelled with reinforcements."; "The Mexi[CAN] army arrived to see the Texian fort with the 'Come & Take It' flag proudly waving. After a single [CAN]non shot, the Mexi[CAN] army retreated & the Texas Revolution was born."; "Brewed Proudly in Richmond, Texas"; "Go Texan"; "A fine Texan Ale".

This will be my last stand with Texian beers until JenRay sends me some more, but I have to admit to being inspired by these guys. I now want to fashion a CANnon out of spent CANs! Call it a CAN CANnon and stand by for incoming CANs.

In my best Gomer Pyle imitation, "Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!" The Crack! both reveled a brimful CAN, but I also got some foaming action to go with it. I did not see that coming. Yeah, right. In this case, however, it was more forgivible. It really filled the room with a spicy scent and it did not waste any time in falling. Soon, I was left with barely a finger of rocky, foamy, bone-white head, quickly falling to wisps and leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a cloudy, golden, sunshine-yellow (SRM = 4 - 5) and of course, the Gold Diggers (Mammon, Croesus and Midas) suddenly appeared, all begging for a taste. I did as I always do and shined them on as I CANtinued with my business. Nose was musty, but with a lemon-pepper bite. My mouth was watering and I was beginning to CANtemplate Asian food for lunch. Mouthfeel was sort of thin and watery, but I did not care as the flavor was the key in this one. It was very much like its nose, lemony-citrus with a black pepper bite and a beautiful dryness with an earthy mustiness. Finish was super gaspingly dry and Zephyr winds could be heard blowing across the Sahara as a result. I am not usually a fan of Saisons, but this really hit the mark!

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have been enjoying this more and more as I go through the six pack. It has certainly grown on me. The phenolic yeast is still a bit strong, but I am getting more fruity orange zest than before. Which counters the yeast better. Still not my favorite of the style, but not bad at all.

A: Pours a beautiful hazed orange color. A pillowing, and dense two finger white head forms with good retention and lace. Some cans are slow gushers at first, but not to bad.
S: Peppery spice and phenols up front. Fruity esters like orange rind and lemon zest. A bit of sweetness as well.
T: Again peppery spice and phenols that boarders on plastic and band aid like. Quickly followed by fruity esters and a lingering grassy bitterness.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and effervescent. A bit watery for my tastes. Not hard to drink. I will have no problem finishing the six pack.

This and Stone Saison almost seem like twins to me. Stones version might be a bit sweeter. Not bad, and a good edition to the Texas beer scene. Though Like Stone not close to my favorite versions of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.61/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Six pack of 12 oz cans found at my local Specs for the 1st time. Excited for yet another local TX brewery to be putting out craft cans. My 1st Texian brew was Charlie Foxtrot, a lip puckering Imperial Berliner that I loved so I'm excited to try this one. Some cool literature on the can about the Texas Revolution.

Pours an opaque burnt orange with a pillowing white 2 inch head that recedes quick to leave slight lace as the glass goes down. Smells of spice and some pepper, a little heavy on the pepper for my liking. Taste is heavy on the spice, then citrusy, with a slightly dry, almost bitter aftertaste. A little too spice forward for me. Overall a decent offering and a solid buy at $8 for a sixer. I enjoyed it more towards the end once it warmed than the beginning at fridge temp. I'm excited to see what's in store for this young brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +13%