Charlie Foxtrot - Texian Brewing Company

Charlie FoxtrotCharlie Foxtrot

Texian Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.50% ABV

Charlie Foxtrot is an "Imperial" Berliner Weisse brewed to combat the Texas heat. This sour wheat beer is tart and dry with citrus and peachy notes from the sour fermentation.

(Beer added by: kjkinsey on 03-14-2014)
Reviews by zander4dawin:
2.31/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A murky apple cider appearance with no head and little to no smell. Taste is a lingering extreme bitterness that is rather over powering and I didn't find enjoyable. Overall I'd pass on this offering, sours are one of my favorite styles and this one just does not get the job done.

zander4dawin, Apr 25, 2014

Tiernan, Nov 16, 2014

jtladner, Oct 25, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

beergorrilla, Oct 16, 2014
3.94/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Comes to me served in a tumbler pint with a turbid yellow body and little head. I kind of like the overboard quantity of yeast in the appearance. Smell is strong on acid, with light, crackery grain. Flavor is full on acidity. I'll admit, this isn't the most complex beer around, but I enjoy the raw sourness. Flavor is heavy with wheat, which makes sense considering how massive the mash bill must be to bring it up to this abv. Mouthfeel is a bit thick for what I want in a Berliner Weiss. Overall, I enjoyed the tongue-burning acidity in this, but the high ABV doesn't make much sense. I'd love to pound something like this all day, but the high octane booze won't allow that. I had to take it way slower than I had hoped with this one.

goochpunch, Mar 31, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

cvenable, Nov 01, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Enochase04, Oct 26, 2014

mendvicdog, Oct 31, 2014

mgr78704, Nov 03, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz bomber pours a hazed, rather dark gold color with a nice cap of dense off-white head. Excellent retention for a berliner.

Nose is mainly light malt and a lemony tartness. Not much else really, except for a sharp CO2 aroma. Surprised there is not more here.

Taste redeems itself quite nicely with a fair amount of sourness and lemon juice tartness. The malt is very light, as most berliners will attest to, but I figured the raised ABV of this would give it more malt character. The ABV is shockingly well integrated, I would have never guessed over 5 at the very most. Quite nice, albeit on the simplistic side.

twiggamortis420, Oct 24, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Zaphog, Oct 16, 2014
4.56/5  rDev +15.7%

kueb, Oct 05, 2014
4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

GwWhite, Sep 26, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Friend brought this over in a 32 oz growler from Premium Draught. To be honest this is my first exposure to this style and had wanted to try it for some time. One difference is that this is declared to be an imperial Berliner, as opposed to the more common, very sessionable beer that is out there.

A - Wow, this is possible the murkiest beer I have ever seen. Almost off-putting for sure.

S - Strong citrus nose up front. One has to wonder if this was the end of the keg maybe?

T - I understand that the Berliner s supposed to be a refreshing, highly drinkable beer. This imperial version has lemon sour finish that is very strong. I could not see myself drinking more than one of these.

M - Medium body. Does not finish with a refreshing "I want another sip" ending.

O - I will not use this as a real first impression for this style. While I thought the beer was okay I do not see myself going back to it.

tpgraham, Apr 08, 2014

ilikebeer03, Oct 05, 2014

JohnBender, May 28, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Very cloudy pale straw colored pour with a one-finger white head. Fairly strong lemony aroma. Taste is quite tart upfront with lemon, salt and a hint of yeast and wheat. Medium bodied. Finishes with a nice lingering sour lemon flavor.

Karibourgeois, Oct 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

jmryan8, Nov 17, 2014

BryantForestry, Oct 30, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

greenspointexas, Apr 06, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Hazy orange-golden color. Nice big bubbly head.

S: Smells yeasty with a lot of lemon zest.

T: Definitely lemon tart. Also yeast and clove, warheads, wet hay, and raspberries. Not as much of a "wheat" character which is nice.

M: Light and crisp. Bubbly.

O: Very pleased with this. Was afraid of it at first as I've never heard of the brewery and the locals down here aren't always the best. This was very nice though.

titty_mcbitty, Oct 29, 2014

VernonBaxter, Apr 17, 2014

Released in bottles for this very first time! I grabbed 3. At a $6 price point for a bomber, I'm all in. It poured very murky and made me think of OJ that's gone bad haha! But honestly who cares how it looks, let's get to the tasting. The nose doesn't have many distinguishable aromas. I smell some clove like spice but nothing intriguing or off putting. The taste starts out nice and tart, and I actually get alot of the yeast characteristics (banana, clove, typical Hefe flavors). I like that I could pick out the subtle flavors, and it wasn't overly sour where your tongue get obliterated. (though I like a good tongue obliteration very much at time lol) then comes the disappointment...straight popcorn buttery diacetyl. The first few sips are very nice, but that creamy butter keeps creeping in and really killing it for me. I remember first trying this beer on a hot day at a beer fest months ago, and had remember enjoying it alot. I don't recall the off flavor before. I don't know if this is new to this batch or if it was always there and I don;t recall it. Either way I don't think i'll be going back to this particular beer much. Having said that I LOVE Texian brewery and have really enjoyed everything they have been doing. I plan to keep supporting them fully.

Wayne17, Jun 12, 2014