1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Charlie Foxtrot - Texian Brewing Company

Charlie Foxtrot
No picture uploaded.

Texian Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kjkinsey on 03-14-2014)
Reviews by zander4dawin:
2.31/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A murky apple cider appearance with no head and little to no smell. Taste is a lingering extreme bitterness that is rather over powering and I didn't find enjoyable. Overall I'd pass on this offering, sours are one of my favorite styles and this one just does not get the job done.

zander4dawin, Apr 25, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Comes to me served in a tumbler pint with a turbid yellow body and little head. I kind of like the overboard quantity of yeast in the appearance. Smell is strong on acid, with light, crackery grain. Flavor is full on acidity. I'll admit, this isn't the most complex beer around, but I enjoy the raw sourness. Flavor is heavy with wheat, which makes sense considering how massive the mash bill must be to bring it up to this abv. Mouthfeel is a bit thick for what I want in a Berliner Weiss. Overall, I enjoyed the tongue-burning acidity in this, but the high ABV doesn't make much sense. I'd love to pound something like this all day, but the high octane booze won't allow that. I had to take it way slower than I had hoped with this one.

goochpunch, Mar 31, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Friend brought this over in a 32 oz growler from Premium Draught. To be honest this is my first exposure to this style and had wanted to try it for some time. One difference is that this is declared to be an imperial Berliner, as opposed to the more common, very sessionable beer that is out there.

A - Wow, this is possible the murkiest beer I have ever seen. Almost off-putting for sure.

S - Strong citrus nose up front. One has to wonder if this was the end of the keg maybe?

T - I understand that the Berliner s supposed to be a refreshing, highly drinkable beer. This imperial version has lemon sour finish that is very strong. I could not see myself drinking more than one of these.

M - Medium body. Does not finish with a refreshing "I want another sip" ending.

O - I will not use this as a real first impression for this style. While I thought the beer was okay I do not see myself going back to it.

tpgraham, Apr 08, 2014

JohnBender, May 28, 2014

greenspointexas, Apr 06, 2014

VernonBaxter, Apr 17, 2014

Wayne17, Jun 12, 2014

Dogleg, Aug 27, 2014

Canti4341, May 21, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Hay Merchant, side by side with Saint Arnold Boiler Room.

A: Pours an incredibly milky, yeasty orange/yellow color. This is beyond hazed or cloudy, full on opaque yeast floaties. The half finger white head fizzles to nothing in a second and no lace.
S: A mineral like aroma up front, next comes a metallic/tinny aroma. Lemon zest, orange, and that is about it.
T: A mineral, salty flavor which, for the style I enjoy. Though I do get a metallic/tinny flavor that I am not a fan of. Though, that rip roaring, enamel shredding acidic sourness is what really gets to me even more. Wow, nothing else come through but sharp cutting acidity.
M/D: More medium body, with an effervescent bite. Though not nearly as clean as I would like. Nothing is very well defined here. While the alcohol is well hidden (behind acidity), I just don't get the 8% ABV tag here? Given that, the acidity makes this a slow sipper to begin with.

If all you want is enamel ripping sourness and acidic bite, than this is for you. Maybe this is an offering that will put Texian on the map. Though just not something I can drink a lot of. While, I love the refreshing simplicity of Boiler Room, this is similarly simplistic. Just so much more intensely acidic that it makes it hard to enjoy.

champ103, Mar 21, 2014