Dragon's Milk With Toasted Chiles - New Holland Brewing Company

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Cynic-ale on 04-27-2014

This beer, aged with Chili de arbol peppers in the barrels, is one of a series of innovative specialties to sneak out of our Dragon's Milk Cellar. The earthy pepper character mingles with the dark roasted tones of Dragon's Milk as the spice slowly warms your palate, pleasantly contrasting the deep malt character. Pairings red meat, smoked foods, balsamic, rich cheese & dark chocolate.
to view more.
Ratings: 235 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by SlothB77:
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This brew is hot!! I mean hot!

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle poured into glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a tan head that lingers a little bit.

Smell: Smells pretty much like standard Dragon's Milk - bourbon-y and sweet. No chile smell of note.

Taste: Now THAT is interesting. The fire from the chiles and the sweetness of the base beer make for a very unique pairing. Remind me of a vanilla-y, bourbon-y version of a mole sauce. Definitely has more heat to it than the jalapeno IPA from Alaskan from earlier this year. The alcohol really doesn't smack you like in the base beer, other than the bourbon notes.

Mouthfeel: Pretty clean overall. The fire lingers longer than the sweetness.

Overall: If they made this in 12oz bottles instead, I'd be down with that, but 22oz is a lot of fire. Still, I like it.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into snifter. Vintage 2014 but no obvious bottle date.

A: Pours a deep brown almost black with a two finger light tan head. The head settles to a thin ring with a decent bit of lacing.

S: The nose is sweet overall with milk chocolate, vanilla, toasted malt and a hint of pepper spice.

T: The peppers are significantly more forward in the flavor. Chocolate fudge, spicy chilies, vanilla, coffee, molasses, and chocolate milk. The taste and spice of the pepper blends nicely with the sweet, roasty base.

M: Creamy and full bodied with moderate carbonation. Sweet and spicy finish with chocolate and chilies. I like another reviewers observation comparing this to a Mexican chocolate brownie.

O: New Holland really took Dragon's Milk to the next level with this one. I've always enjoyed the standard Dragon's Milk and the addition of toasted chilies creates a nice complexity. I really wish this was distributed locally for me.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

22 ounce bottle, 2014 vintage. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head that stuck around a little while. There's also a good amount of lacing. The brew smells like chocolate, chilies, roasted malt, oak, vanilla, and some burnt/charred malt. It tastes like chilies, chocolate, burnt/charred malt, dark fruit, oak, vanilla, and a bit of coffee. I like that the chili heat has got a good kick to it, but still doesn't completely overpower the other flavors in this beer. There's also a lingering heat from the chilies. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. I think this is a good example of a spicy imperial stout, I enjoyed this. $8.99 a bomber.

This is my first review I've written on here. I made it a point to review this one because I feel like my tastes are not always well represented on this site. Anyway, I think this beer is outstanding, and one of my favorites. I love stouts, I love bourbon barrel stouts even more, and I love spicy bourbon barrel stouts the most. This beer has the perfect level of heat for my tastes, which means it is spicy enough where you can taste it, burns a little bit, but still allows you to appreciate the base beer. So many other BBA Stouts you barely taste the pepper in it, but this one makes sure you won't forget its in there. Second to potentially only Mexican Cake, this is my favorite beer with chiles in it. Great work and please don't change! <3 Futurepoop

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

1 PINT 6 FL. OZ.
Served in a snifter

L - This beer is almost black. Just the faintest of a ruby glow comes through when held to the light. It is topped with an inch of tan head.

S - Vanilla, dark chocolate, and caramel come to mind in the aroma. It smells just like Dragon's Milk. The peppers do not come through the smell.

T - The taste starts out just like any other bottle of Dragon's Milk. Then it hits. I get a tingling sensation on the back of my tongue and in my throat. Each consecutive sip builds with heat. It is not real spicy, but it's momentum creeps further up my tongue towards the tip.

F - Full and tingly

O - I like this version. I heard that it was pretty spicy. I do not think that it is. I think it has a mild buildup of heat. I would love to try this on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Silver foil capped 22oz bottle from Bruisin Ales (Asheville, NC). 8.50. Vintage 2014 with no dicernable specific bottling date. Served in a New Holland tulip.

Pours deep, molasses brown (almost black) with two and a half fingers of pale tan froth. The head settles to a healthy halo and deposits a decent bit of lace

The nose is sweet overall with cocoa, vanilla, toasted malt and a noticable hint of chillis peppers.

The peppers are significantly more forward in the flavor. Chocolate fudge, sweet, soft bourbon, spicey yet flavorful toasted chilies, vanilla, coffee, molasses, lactose sweetness, slight barrel char, a note that seems like rolled oats and of course some booze. The taste and spice of the pepper blends nicely with the sweet, roasty base.

Creamy, fairly heavy feel with moderate carbonation. Sweet and spicy finish with chocolaye, chilies, bourbony vanilla and a little roastiness. Like a Mexican chocolate brownie.

New Holland really took their flagship to the next level with this Reserve series. I've always enjoyed the standard Dragon's Milk and the addition of toasted chilies creates a nice complexity. I'm quite glad to have tried this variant of an already great beer.

2.64/5  rDev -29.2%

Just a quick review here --

This, I can safely say, is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I normally enjoy chile peppers in beer. I enjoyed Punishment, for god's sake. This beer, however, is detestable.

I knew something was off when I poured it from the bottle and the head was huge, much larger than regular Dragon's Milk. The smell was pretty faint, but the taste was an in-your-face mess of hot emptiness, no substance whatsoever, just heat for heat's sake. The chile was so dominant that the base beer might as well have been water. The mouthfeel, if possible, was even worse: hot, stinging, and nauseating.

Blech. Ugh.

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance and smell were both nice and what you'd expect from a BA Stout... Nice scent of chili peppers too and not too overpowering.

The taste appears to be a slightly above average BA Stout at first, with so much burn as it goes down that it literally destroys every other tasting note for this beer. Just too much heat! Maybe crazy pepper beer lovers will like it, but I'll never revisit it.

Was excited to try this one... WAY WAY WAY too much heat... It practically smothered every other factor and flavor in this beer... I liked Prarie Bomb as well as Luchador En Fuego... If those two were about a 5-6 on the heat scale, this was a 15... If you like drinking bourbon barrel hot sauce, this is your best bet

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

On draft, pours a dark mahogany brown, ruby red hues with a light brown foamy head.

The nose is sweet, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon notes, oak, roasted oats, and a little bit of pepper spice. The flavor is bourbon and vanilla up front, followed by sweet milk chocolate and roast as it dries out a little, then bam, the heat from the peppers hits your throat as it washes down. The heat lingers for a while, really hot, a bit too hot. If the heat faded a bit more, I would like this more as I think the chilies and vanilla would blend well.

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent beer but super hot for me (although I'm kind of a wimp with super spicy foods). Tasted a lot like dragons milk with a ton of heat, just as I would have expected.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Dragons Milk Reserve with Toasted Chilis

Pours dark brown bordering black with off white head and plenty of lacing.
Aroma of dark malts with char and vanilla, a bit of smoke, and chocolate.

Interesting taste; the malt is big right away giving away to a peppery spice. Chocolate, oak, vanilla and chili pepper spiciness. Nice earth tones from the hop, pepper and barrel. Has a charred pepper flavor that is actually really nice.

Nice full creamy body and a small pepper burn. Paired this with a Thai chicken pizza, the beer was spicier than the pizza but it worked.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours with a dark brown color but sits black in the glass. Head of about a finger which is present while drinking. Thick sticky lacing left behind at each level.

Smell: notes of bourbon and vanilla greet the drinker. Potent rustic and earthy fruits with a heavy bite of heat. Sweet malts and silky barrel character come through on the back end.

Taste: the front is everything you'd expect from dragons milk. Potent bourbon, vanilla, oak, milk chocolate, and caramel. As you begin to wonder when the peppers kick in they hit you. Accents of banana, red, and green bell peppers. Rustic fruits showcase themselves into the finish. The heat on the back end is big but certainly kept within reason.

Mouthfeel: creamy vanilla and malts mix well with fruits brought from peppers. Carbonation establishes a middle ground for both sides to shine.

Overall: very impressed. Distinguished flavors are cleanly seperated yet work together so well. This one is a one brainer to seek out and try. Well done New Holland.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Was a very divisive beer amongst the friends I shared it with. I enjoyed the spiceness paired with chocolate creaminess of the beer.

took advantage of $3 pints at the local bar. This is normally a $10 beer. The wise bartender gave me a taste first. The way I think of it is liquid instant heart burn. That's what it feels like. This seems like a Harry Potter gimmick. They should call it Dragon Fire. Taste gross

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/15/2014. Pours nearly pitch black color with a 2 finger dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of chocolate, caramel, toast, roasted malt, toffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon, chili pepper, and roast/oak earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, chili pepper, and oak barrel notes; with good strength. Taste of big chocolate, caramel, toast, roasted malt, toffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon, chili pepper, and roast/oak earthiness. Moderate chile spice on the finish with a large amount of heat after the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, caramel, toast, roasted malt, toffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon, chili pepper, and roast/oak earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, oak barrel, and toasted chili flavors; with a nice malt/barrel/pepper balance and minimal cloying flavors after the finish. Light carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately creamy and lightly slick/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish; mostly masked by the pepper heat. Overall this is a very nice pepper spiced imperial stout. Nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and chili pepper flavors; and fairly smooth to sip on for the ABV. The pepper heat on the back of the finish limits drinkability; but this is a very enjoyable slow sipping offering.

I. Want. My. Money. Back. Thanks for the kick in the balls though.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Vintage 2014 Bomber passed on to me by Overml01. I believe it was cellared before I received it and chilled it to enjoy.

Appearance (4/5): Black with a beige-brown head, pours a solid inch that lasts a while but then fades to a thin ring.

Aroma (4/5): Reminds me of the regular Dragon's Milk stout, and somewhat of barrel aged Plead the 5th, with the addition of the pepper which adds more complexity than heat.

Taste (4.5/5): Amazingly delicious but hampered by the heat. Starts like a dream, but the heat starts to creep up the throat and takes over on the exhale. Up to that point it is nearly perfection, but for me the heat is just too much. It builds over time but never gets completely overwhelming, although it does hide some of the best features of the beer.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Not sure how it could get any better for what they set out to do - viscous and tingly, with the perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

Overall (4.5/5): This could easily a competitor for my favorite beer if the heat was dialed down another notch. As is, I love it, but it falls short of perfection.

A quick aside: I requested the reviews be merged, but its interesting to note the clearly divergent scores between the "Reserve" and "With Toasted Chiles" versions of Dragon's Milk which are actually the same. For whatever reason the Reserve is currently scoring a 4.2/92 while the latter is a 3.7/84.

3.49/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

A- Dark black with a small light brown head that dissipates to a thin ring. When I tilt the glass I can see some light coming through on the edges and it has a reddish tint to it from the arbol peppers.

S- Smells very similar to regular Dragon's Milk with some light vanilla, dark cherry, some light oak and chocolate. Not really getting any of the pepper in the aroma.

T- Similar to regular Dragon's Milk but then the pepper hits you. Some light barrel qualities with light vanilla, oak, chocolate, and dark cherry. The pepper really comes in quickly and over takes all that though. It is hotter that I though it was going to be, I though arbol chilis were more smoky than spicy, guess I was wrong. On the finish your left with chocolate notes and a burn in the throat.

M- A bit light for such a big stout. I'd like to try Dragon's Milk before it's barrel aged but i don't know if the do that.

O- If you like a big pepper presence in your beers you should like this one. I like more subtle pepper notes so this one isn't quite up my alley. I look forward to the fall when the raspberry one comes out.

3.88/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love dragons milk but this bad boy was almost too hot. The heat from the peppers is interesting and complex but it really high jacks the flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

I've never been a big New Holland fan and I wasn't big on Dragon's Milk but I really enjoyed this one. I'll have to go back and give them another shot.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a pretty good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had warning this one was a little spicy, to the point of distraction. Planning ahead, I paired it with habañero chicken so so that it might lessen any overwhelming chili heat. I love heat, just not in my drink.

Got this, a 2014 vintage, as a double-deuce from my aunt. Cellared for two months. Poured into traditional pint glass.

Looks like Dragon Milk, smells like Dragon Milk. So far, so good. No chili on the nose, just bourbony stouty goodness. Either this bottle mellowed over the last two months or the habañeros did the trick, there's not a lot of heat here. More and more Bourbon as the glass warms.

Definite sipper, just like Dragon's Milk should be. Have another bottle still in the cellar, going to pop that next year and report back any difference.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark chestnut brine color that appears pitch black and completely opaque in the glass. One finger beige foam head that quickly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Decent retention, leaving sporadic streaks of soapy lacing on the way down.

Slightly smokey robust dark malt aroma with a prominent dry, roasted pepper presence and some subtle oak. Hints of burnt malt, dark chocolate, oatmeal and coffee grinds complimented by the peppers and charred oak. The oak stands out after it warms but is not overpowering in the nose with faint wood/toothpick character. There's also a decent amount of smoked chili pepper but it's nicely integrated into the beer without overwhelming the other notes. Some sweeter malt notes as well with some baker's chocolate, caramel and toffee. The addition of chili de arbol peppers really changes the aroma of dragons milk. It's an interesting addition but I'm not sure it improves on the original. Not as complex or inviting as I had hoped.

Slightly viscous full body with smokey, robust dark malts countered by subtle charred oak, lighter malt sweetness and a prominent, fiery hot pepper presence that dominates from mid palate until long after the lingering finish. Charred oak, bittersweet dark chocolate, and deeply roasted coffee followed by sweeter chocolate and toffee before the peppers come in providing some smokey heat. It's really unique how different this beer tastes from beginning to end. The peppers come in mid way through and obliterate the original flavors. I'm not really sure what to think about it because I would like more of the oak and stout character but the fiery hot pepper and cinnamon flavors are petty appealing. I just wish that they were as nicely integrated as the nose suggests and that there was overall better balance.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Tan head. Color is black.

Flavor profile: tons of chipotle peppers and spice. Chocolate and caramel. Raisins, plums, molasses. More peppers. Oak and vanilla. Milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: spicy and hot. Full bodied. Medium
Carbonation. Ends with spice and roast.

Overall, the spice dominates this beer. Hard to tell it's dragons milk. However, i enjoy the peppers. Very awesome, but very intense.

to view more.