New Holland Pilgrim's Dole - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Pilgrim's DoleNew Holland Pilgrim's Dole

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

A barleywine-style ale made with 50% wheat malt (a wheatwine) aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Alström Bros
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Upgraded based on having on tap at Pizza Plant Transit. Very dry and alcoholic indeed and a good drink.

Bottle: Thank you Wohlf's the combination of much corriander, wheat, maybe barley, and high alcohol did not make my lunch. Another day would not make a difference. Somewhat like a Rodenboch Grand Cru.

01-02-2005 04:03:33 | More by Sammy
t0rin0

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

11-25-2012 03:12:51 | More by t0rin0
djrn2

02-16-2012 19:18:15 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to dougofthefuture for sending this in Blind BIF 5. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours a bright mild copper with no head and a few bubbles around the edges. The nose brings a bit of caramel and a light fruitiness. Lots of sweet malt. Mild booze. The flavor is quite sweet as well. Somewhat of a dryness from malt, but not really dry. Hard to express. Maybe a bit of tannin. Boozy. Medium to full body. Pretty heavy feel and low carbonation. Boozy finish. Really don't enjoy the finish much. Almost a bit of bourbon in the nose, but not quite in the flavor. Not bad, but not something I would seek out again.

05-14-2011 13:01:15 | More by Thorpe429
metter98

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill, Vandalia, OH

A: The beer is clear light reddish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high light beige head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Bits of sweetness are present in the nose along with notes of oaky vanilla aromas.
T: The taste is a little sweet and has flavors of toffee with notes of vanilla towards the finish.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite interesting for a wheatwine and isn't overly difficult to drink because the alcohol isn't that noticeable in the taste. It also has nice vanilla and toffee flavors without tasting exactly like bourbon or alcohol.

10-29-2013 11:37:17 | More by metter98
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Sunshine-bright tangerine with nary a fleck to disrupt the crystal clear nature of the beer. The pastel orange cap is large, milkshake thick and looks as if it will last for hours... although the beer will be long gone by then. It's also beginning to lay down an impressive amount of thick lace.

The nose isn't at all what I expected. It smells like untoasted pale malt, orange peel, Band-Aid phenols and alcohol. Although the label describes Pilgrim's Dole as a 'barleywine style ale made with wheat', it doesn't remind me of a barleywine at all. A wheat wine? Who knows, I've never smelled a wheat wine before. I have to believe, however, that most of them have better noses than this.

Things are better on the palate, but I'm still far from impressed. The beer drinks like a pale barleywine, but still tastes nothing like one. Maybe wheat doesn't lend itself to such a malt-dominant style since it doesn't impart as much complexity and depth as barley. I'll reserve judgment on the style until I've had a handful of others. Of course, it's always possible this year old bottle hasn't aged as well as it should have.

The flavor is dominanted by a curious sourness that is kept from being a deal breaker by an underlying malty sweetness and the other members of the flavor profile. It tastes orangey to me, and a little peachy as well. The phenols, which I find appealing in some Scotch ales, seem out of place. Not horribly so, but I find myself wishing they would exit, stage left.

After multiple mouthfuls, I still can't decide how well the various flavors fit together. They aren't completely divorced from one another, but neither do they fit into a unified, seamless whole. A grudging agreement to stay together for the sake of the kids? There's nothing wrong with the mouthfeel. It's somewhere between medium and full with an enjoyable tongue-soaking quality.

Pilgrim's Dole is my first foray into the relatively new world of wheat wines. Recent talk has suggested that it was better fresh, so I'll consider picking up a few bottles of the '05 vintage for comparison's sake. If I was a pilgrim looking for my free dole of bread and ale, I'd turn this one down and grab a few dozen nip bottles of Old Foghorn to accompany me on my journey.

11-01-2005 16:08:14 | More by BuckeyeNation
brentk56

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Pours a burnished copper color with a modest head and leaves a healthy dose of lace

Smell: Rather sweet aroma with hints of toffee and fruit

Taste: Opens with a sweet, bready flavor with dark fruit and nutty elements developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, the sweet flavors blend with the wheat bread, though the profile is very much like a barleywine

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation

Drinkability: More like a barleywine than other wheatwines I have tasted, this is still a rather nice beer though it is just a tad too sweet

10-28-2009 03:02:25 | More by brentk56
zestar

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

08-06-2014 06:16:40 | More by zestar
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

Bottle: Poured a clear deep amber color ale with a small foamy head with some light retention and some light lacing. Aroma of really sweet caramelized malt and light toffee notes. Taste is dominated by overly sweet caramelized malt with some toffee notes. Body is slightly above average with good carbonation and alcohol not too apparent. I always liked the idea of wheat wine but this example is way too sweet for my tastebuds.

06-24-2011 20:05:59 | More by Phyl21ca
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Impressive, this beer is. A heavy, viscous Barleywine-looking brew pours with a touch of oily-ness and legging. A light, white head settled to 1/4" and held firm. Big, sweet aromas of caramel, cotton candy, tropical fruits, and fruit cake emmits from the glass and proves to be mouth watering. The first sip is a heavy dose of sugars ranging from confectionate sugar to syrupy molassas along with nuts, figs, dates, and barely. The wheat additions seem moderate and give the beer a suble, soft grain (cereal) flavor and thickens the textrues considerably. A bit oily with a hint of diacityl (buttery) on top of a full bodied brew, chocked full of residual sugars. The beer is a good sipper, but lacks the depth and complexity of other Barleywines. Still, I liked it.

02-11-2008 16:54:50 | More by BEERchitect
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

A rich golden amber then came forward from the bottle, splashing down into the glass with a very hazy thud. Lots of carbonation here as well kept the whole thing alive and kicking with a two inch layer of white foam that quickly faded down to leave a bare top.

The aroma was full of spices and wheat, very musty with a deep down and earthy note to it. I was picking up lots of rye type smells, hints of grass and a touch of grapes. Translated over the taste very well. Very rich wheat flavor. Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. There were touches of almost musty pepper or something, hard to place, but very full and very difficult to fully grasp the flavor. Nice hot streak of alcohol running through it as well. Nice medium body with a really good carbonation profile, there was a nice fullness to it. It was definitely a sipper, and a little bit rough at that.

05-12-2011 10:46:58 | More by mikesgroove

02-02-2014 05:15:10 | More by kylehay2004
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark copper body with a small, bubbly, off-white head. How lovely looking!

Smell: Sweet-smelling aroma of malted wheat and toffee syrup with a light booziness and faint fruity notes.

Taste: Deep, resounding toffee-flavored sweetness and tangy malted wheat flavor. A dash of Navan vanilla cognac. Light hint of fruit. A slight touch of alcoholic heat on the sweet, luscious finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Velvety mouthfeel. Warming alcohol presence.

Drinkability: Though it can be a bit hefty on the palate at times, New Holland has crafted an excellent wheatwine.

02-25-2008 05:45:33 | More by ChainGangGuy
Knapp85

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Expected this beer to be a little more on the lighter side I guess. The Wheat Wine here seemed to me to be just like a regular Barley Wine to me and my friend who split the bottle. I was thinking that it would be a nice lighter strong beer before the dinner we had but it was heavy and boozie. I haven't been able to see much of a difference between Wheat and Barley Wines. This is good if you want a strong beer that you can sip on for a while.

04-01-2011 02:42:52 | More by Knapp85
oberon

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a deep burnt orange with a nice one finger head leaving sheets of lace behind,big fruity aromas along with some caramel and nut.Deep intense dark fruit hit the taste buds and are unrelenting,very fruity and nutty with a big soapy finish.Wow the compexities are are almost to much for this sipper,very complex and big.A sipping beer to savour my first wheat wine and very intriuged by it a great beer experiance.

05-21-2005 00:12:58 | More by oberon
TMoney2591

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Not all that creative on this one, I'm following the conceit from the bottle:
The pilgrimage (see what I mean?) begins just before dawn; scarlets, crimsons, vermillions, cinnabars, rubies, and other such hues arrange themselves as though on a cosmic-level swatch. Still early, some dark, earthy browns linger still, but are clearly facing imminent eviction. The long trek has begun, with Saint Christopher smiling on my progress. As the countrysides continually change, the air strangely maintains the same scent throughout: a light bit of flour and cracked wheat combined with an ambrosial sweetness. Flowers seem tobloom on the edges of the air itself. A pine forest stands at an eternal distance. Respites are few, as the Book would seem to have it, and are mostly consumed by the breaking of the fast. I rely on the kindness of locals who support my holy travels. Far from manna, the taste is still plenty sweet, with side notes of whiskey and toffee and a bitter undercurrent. Trudging on, my feet meet minor temporal resistance, but, as the miles stack up behind me, it's as though a thick muck is increasingly impeding me. 'Tis the devil's temptations, I swear it, and I shall continue on my way to spite the demon. No head bubbles shall sway me from my path, though few have come to me up 'til now. Though there is still far to go, I know the Lord is with me and, thus, I shall not want. Via con dios!

05-08-2010 04:18:47 | More by TMoney2591
zeff80

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +1%

A - Poured out a clear, orange/ruby color with a very bubbly, white, two-finger head. It left a little lace.

S - It smelled light caramel malt, wheat, and some honey.

T - It tasted of very spicy wheat with touches of honey. It is an interesting mix of sweet and hot spiciness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and fizzy. A medium-bodied beer with a warming alcohol presence.

D - This is my first wheatwine. It was good and I am looking forward to trying another.

01-28-2009 01:34:36 | More by zeff80
NeroFiddled

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

My first impression of this was that it smells and tastes a little more like a barleywine than the other wheat wines I've had. The first sip clarified for me that it was, indeed, a wheat wine. It grew on me, and I found it quite unique! It's one of New Hollands best beers in my opinion; and I'd love to try it oak-aged as I think that extra level of complexity would really take it over the top.

Apart from that I felt it had a bbeautiful appearance with a very creamy head of light tan that held surprisingly well (but left little lacing).

In the nose the alcohol was noticeable, but it was wrapped in a thick, sticky coat of sweet tropical fruit (cocoanut, pineapple, raisin) that was quite nice.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a full, dextrinous body and very-fine bubbled moderate carbonation. Smoooth.

The same fruit that's present in the nose returns in the flavor, wrapped in softly caramelish, sweet and doughy malt. It has a distinct wheat character which is nice (and expected given the style), and a balancing thread of spiciness (probably due more to the alcohol than hops, or at least a combination).

Surprisingly given the massive amount of residual maltiness, it finishes with a slap of spice and only a mildly sweet lingering maltiness. It's a little worty, yes, but it's not overdone. The alcohol, however, is a bit intrusive halfway through the glass.

I enjoyed it, but I think I'd split a bottle with someone next time - 6 ounces for sipping should be just right. And with that in mind, I think it really is a unique beer that would work just as well as an after dinner drink on the back porch in summer, or with a holiday feast in the cooler months. Kudos!

05-13-2006 13:09:49 | More by NeroFiddled
nickfl

02-02-2014 05:04:35 | More by nickfl
Jason

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Poured hard in a pint glass, a surreal viscous cascading foam emerged out of no where … quite amazing to look at. From there it produced a thin tiny bubbled lace that was comparable to a good pint of Guinness. The deep tawny hue only showed a minimal haze.

Smell: Wafts of alcohol and ripe fruit … suggestions of pineapple and raisins come to mind. Sweet to the nose.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Creamy mouth feel and full bodied. Right off the bat I think of rum raisins, lots of sweetness not the palate but not cloying. A touch of rough spiciness from the wheat but not astringent, nice spicy bite from an alcohol and hop mix. Finishes with a lingering alcoholic spice and some residual sweetness.

Notes: One of the most interesting strong beers I have had to date, tastes of a mellow English Barleywine though with a big wheat accent. Truly a great beer and a must try if you are in to strong ales of any kind.

03-24-2004 00:13:52 | More by Jason
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

Review based on notes, got this one from czoch75, Cheers Clint!

Pours caramel with 3+ fingers of tan head. Super lacing & good head retention

S: Cakeyness, Bourbon & dark fruit

T: Toffee, a bit of booze, cakeyness & rum butter up front along with a slight smokeyness. This really mellows out as it warms, smokey toffee & some oakyness. Finishes dry, buttery & cakey

MF: Sticky, medium bodied with slight carbonation

Drinks really easy for the style & ABV. Drinks more like a super smooth barley wine to me, this one is very well done!

12-29-2008 02:43:03 | More by russpowell
feloniousmonk

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Gorgeous magenta hue, a deep violet, with a solid ring of beige foam reigning atop. Aroma is full of grapes, alcohol, spice, orange zest, cherries, brandy, leather, cognac, a heady crowd to run with, yeah, but a generous mix for those who favor abundance of flavor.
Taste is smooth, yet still a bit spikey, with a brash, bold fruity flavor clanging in, reminding me, really, of Aventinus, more than anything else, and that's a goood thing, let us not forget!
Has it's own character, fruity, spicy, yet stil maintains a connection to the weizen feel to in the taste, as well.
No quaffer here, this is a truly luxurious brew. Wish I had a magnum, and all the best people and the very best time, to chime in some happy celebration, with this most wondrous brew!

Cheers ring out to ngandhi for settin' me up!

05-13-2004 08:20:10 | More by feloniousmonk
drabmuh

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Served from a bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled from 2007. Beer is dark brown and really hazy. Forms a thick head of large bubbles that falls away to almost nothing leaving behind a lot of lacing. Carbonation is low (lower than it should be). Bubbles, small to medium, rise slowly through the beer. The resulting head is thin and white made of medium sized bubbles.

Aroma of the beer is primarily alcohol and malt. I'm not getting many esters or fruits as I would expect.

This beer is thick and has a full bodied character to it. There is almost a coconut like character to the flavors. Very sweet but its a little overwhelming. Mouthfeel is ok. There is no aftertaste. Its a really heavy beer and drinkability suffers. There is almost no bitterness and there is a strong malt / grain sweetness to it almost like a barleywine. Actually, it tastes a lot like liquor. Not my favorite wheatwine but I'm glad I tried it.

01-04-2010 16:44:56 | More by drabmuh