New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros

Chagler, Sep 09, 2014

JoeD, Sep 22, 2012

RightBeerRightNow, Aug 18, 2014

WuAnquo1, Jan 07, 2012

BGsWo22, Mar 21, 2013

mwbrady12, Jul 29, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

Orangey amber colored body with a small whitish colored head. Poor retention, nice legs.

Smells and tastes a bit odd... Here's what I'm picking up;
Caramel malt, Munich malt, some odd dry biscuit malt, pumpkin flesh, tons of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and a German lager type yeast on the finish... It gets better as it warms, but doesn't pull through in the end.

Odd chalky dry feel with a really dry bitter pumpkin and spice finish.

Overall-- let's be honest, I don't usually like pumpkin beers... But this one I find outright offensive.

AleWatcher, Nov 04, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -49.2%

Never had a pumpkin ale before. Here goes.

A: Dark, clear orange with a modest off white head. Decent sheets of lacing.

S: Spice is the first thing that hits you, then cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of pumpkin. There is a touch of bready malt lurking in the background, just barely enough to let you know this is still a beer.

T: Spice is the main thing you taste. Cinnamon and lots of nutmeg again. A little bit of pumpkin flavor comes through. Kind of like an odd spiced liquid pumpkin pie. There is a little bit of bitter and sourness at the backend. This hardly taste like beer to me, not sure if all pumpkin ales are like this or not so its hard to compare.

M: Lighter body. Pretty soft carbonation. It does feel very thin though, un-beer like.

D: Hmmm. Can't say that I want another one or that I even want to finish this one. Probably will though since I've never had one before.

Glad I only got one in a mix six. Pumpkin beers may not be my thing. I will definitely try a different kind in the future, maybe not this fall though.

herman77, Oct 20, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -49.2%

This was a mixture of high's and low's for me. The appearamce was the strong point, with it's nice orangey/amber color and the off white fluffy head. After that, it went down the preverbial crapper. Just the thought of the taste and smell makes me cringe in horror. The smell was of old stinky feet and rancid puke. Seriously. I could find a little hint of some all spice in there, but it was then quickly bludgened to death by the horrid smell. The taste was quite similar, but the stinky crap was still there. If you drank it while you held your nose, it wasn't so bad, but I don't want to do that when I drink beer. I drink beer to taste and smell everything it has to offer, so I can fully enjoy it. The mouthfell was a little creamy, but still had the sting of carbonation. Again, this is some nasty stuff. I couldn't finish it, maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was horrid.

JISurfer, Jan 02, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -48.3%

A - A nice orange look. Lots of carbonation. Looks like an average beer

S - Smells malty and like dirty socks.

T - Tastes like...beer. Not really any pumpkin flavor. Very disappointed as I was told this was to taste like pumpkin pie. It's actually pretty gross and not sweet at all

M - Just lots of carbonation. No feel on tongue at all from flavors.

D - I'd rather have Bud light

MBABJJ, Oct 19, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -46.3%

12 oz bottle, pours a deep reddish caramel color.

It smells like the forgot the cinnamon and instead got a load of pickling spice. Also some pumpkin and nutmeg.

It tastes more like cinnamon, cinnamon water. It was not a ver good beer, very watery. New Holland failed me here.

crossovert, Dec 01, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -45.5%

Appearance: Clear medium amber, rocky white head.

Smell: Sweet toasted malt, honey, and spices.

Taste: Ergh, too much cinnamon. Honey and nutmeg in the background, some hops bitterness, but mainly the overpowering cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Light, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not much.

flowerysong, Jan 08, 2008

A little bland for me, just kind of blah

WestHam973, Oct 23, 2014

lawbreaker, Oct 11, 2014

humblemonk, Aug 30, 2014

soonerchamps, Jan 17, 2013

thatdirtymick, Dec 28, 2011

FEUO, Oct 08, 2012

Dactrius, Oct 31, 2012

Im really not sure how they can call this one a pumpkin beer. Aggressive pour leads to nearly no head. Smell had quite a bit of cinnamon which was pretty much the only taste that stuck out to me. Nearly no pumpkin taste which was disappointing given its a pumpkin beer.

HopManEric, Aug 29, 2011

jacothom, Dec 15, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -41.2%

A-has a nice color and poured well
S-Doesnt have much of a smell. I was expecting something reminiscing of fall.
T-Doesnt taste like much. I didnt taste the spices or pumpkin.
M-Smell and Taste didnt do much, neither does the mouthfeel
D-Im pissed I spent $13 on a 6 pack of this stuff. Not good at all. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is still the pumpkin beer to beat IMO.

bernie215, Oct 11, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -38.7%

Reviewing this on my fourth bottle.

Appearence - An opaque reddish-orange color. Two fingers of head with an aggressive pour. The head itself is foamy and clings to the glass. Appears to have low carbonation.

Smell - Nutmeg and gourd right away. Smells sweet and sugary. Very faint cinnamon and other spices. No noticeable fruit notes. Light malt.

Taste - Light gourd and pumpkin are noticeable. Sweet and sugary. Quite viny and stem-like in its taste. The spice does not translate well to the taste. Instead of cinnamon or nutmeg, I just taste sugar.

Mouth feel and overall - Light-bodied and far too sweet. In my opinion, not enough spice or pumpkin taste. Fizzy on the roof of your mouth. A bit skunk overall. Not my top pumpkin ale by a long shot.

Jesse13713, Aug 30, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours out an off orangish colour with mild haze, not much head though, just a ring left only a minute after the pour. Smell is mainly pumpkin spice with some malt standing behind it.

Taste...a spice blast up front, but it's not like the aroma, it's more ginger mixed with pepper, and doesn't fit the beer that well. The malt is there, along with the most vague rememberence of pumpkin, and an odd...very aluminum bite throughout though, like I imagine biting into a beer can would taste like. I do not like this.

Mouthfeel..thin, as expected for the style, but not much carbonation either. Drinkability reflects my general feeling on this beer, good idea, terrible implementation. I love a well done spice featuring beer, but this doesn't do it for me, not even close.

New Holland continues to underwhelm me...

CortexBomb, Oct 15, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

Lighter than most pumpkin brews more yellow than orange. Really white foamy head a decent lacing.
Strange taste to me hard to describe, somewhat bitter with no real pumpkin or pumpkin spice taste. Hint of pumpkin spice in after taste. It was drinkable but not very pumpkin.

bob3701, Nov 21, 2009