New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

It was a clear day for brewing and this beer was acceptable, I feel like I frequently don't give New Holland enough credit. BUT this beer is second to Dogfish Head and a few others in the world of Pumpkin Beers. I liked that the aromas and flavors weren't overwhelmed by the spices, but I could have used more maltiness and more... well... everything. Properly carbonated, properly colored... just not extraordinary.

lavellen, Oct 12, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

My first pumpkin ale. Glad I only bought a single. This beer mostly tastes like an amber ale with a very small amount of pumpkin and no spice. Smell is mostly malty amber lager with a bit of pumpkin. Appearance is that of weak tea. Drinkability and mouthfeel are okay, but nothing special. Carbonation is very light. Again, this is my first pumpkin ale, but this isn't what I was expecting. Hopefully the Dogfish one will be better. I'll let you know!

dataskatt, Oct 12, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

A-has a nice color and poured well
S-Doesnt have much of a smell. I was expecting something reminiscing of fall.
T-Doesnt taste like much. I didnt taste the spices or pumpkin.
M-Smell and Taste didnt do much, neither does the mouthfeel
D-Im pissed I spent $13 on a 6 pack of this stuff. Not good at all. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is still the pumpkin beer to beat IMO.

bernie215, Oct 11, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Served in an open-mouthed pint glass.

Ichabod looks nice in the glass. It's an amber color with orange and brown notes. The beer is clear and filtered in appearance, and the minimal head is reawakened easily to cover the sides of the glass in white lace. But the beer does loose it's head easily, which is probably why it's called Ichabod.

The aromas are typical for the style - bready, caramel, cookie malt with just a hint of toast and lots of spices. Ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, honey, clove, and allspice dmoniae, but the're some weird vegetable notes that I don't think are pumpkin. Also noted is some apparent booze which, at 5.5%, probably shouldn't raise it's ugly head.

The taste is nice, but nothing so heavy you'd need a crane to lift. So I guess we can call this Ichabod Crane-less (*ducks tomatoes*). There's some pumpkin flesh in the mix, along with toasted malt and sweet caramel. There's also the spices noted in the nose, the most prominent of which are cinnamon and nutmeg. A light bitterness is present. Pleasant and one of those pumpkin beers that is more of a beer than a dessert in a glass.

The mouthfeel is above average but nothing to write about, unless you're me and you feel you have to write about all aspects of every beer you drink. We'll, I'm like me, so here goes: Medium body, with creamy carbonation and an abrupt finish with lingering mild bitterness and spices. I like this beer, it's a good seasonal, but Elysian's Night Owl runs circles around it. For a more available alternative in the midwest, if you're willing to step up on the ABV's just a touch, go for the Heavy Seas Great Pumpkin.

jampics2, Oct 10, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Brown orange with a small head that leaves little lacing, very clear.

S- Malts and a little hops, some spice in the smell as well: cloves, allspice and a little cinnamon

T- The spice flavor hits first with some caramel malts in it as well, pumpkin is there but not overpowering. Finishes with a nice sweet and spicy bitterness.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation, finishes crisp with some spiciness in the back of the throat that lingers for a while

D- Very drinkable beer with less pumpkin flavor than I had expected. Actually very balanced compared to many beers of the style.

Spiekerbox, Oct 08, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Brown with an amber glow

Smell: Never smelled a beer like this Immediately I get a nose full of french vanilla ice cream. A little pumpkin, allspice, clove, cinnamon.

Taste: Carmel earthy malts, a little pumpkin, cinnamon very well rounded flavors everything fits.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium carbonation with some earthy dryness on the back end.

Drinkability: very drinkable

In my personal opinion the more pumpkin the better this didn't have as much as I would have liked but still a very good offering. Very drinkable and well rounded flavors.

terrapinfan88, Oct 04, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Ichabod pours a beautiful burning orange amber and is perfectly clear. There is a pretty modest, slightly off-white head that fades quickly, but leaves wonderful lace.

The aroma is fairly nice with a slightly toasty and bready malt backbone that supports some nutmeg and allspice. There is also a really odd aroma in there that after drinking the whole glass I have finally decided smells a bit like browning ground turkey. I kid you not. I think it may be some weird aroma memory of my mother in law cooking this weird ground turkey thing with cinnamon and spices in it. Strangely, this smell is not a turn off.

The flavor is interesting and pretty restrained for a pumpkin beer. I would say the main flavor I am getting is some slightly toasty, brown sugary caramel malt. It is then followed by pumpkin pie spices and just a touch of pumpkin flavor. I am really having a hard time finding more to write about though. Perhaps a bit of earthy hop character is present as well. There is a fair amount of bitterness in this beer.

The mouthfeel is medium, but it seems quite watery. The carbonation seems pretty good though, and the finish is quite desirable and slightly spicy

This is a very drinkable pumpkin beer, but not really in a good way. It is refreshing, but not hearty and comforting like most fall offerings. This is not the worst pumpkin beer I have ever tasted, but it is also far from the best.

zoso1967, Oct 03, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

I really enjoyed this one. I love pumpkin ales, and this did not disappoint. You could taste more of a pumpkin flavor than the other ingredients. Sometimes the allspice or nutmeg will stand out too much. This was all pumpkin.

The color was a nice orange for a crisp Michigan night. The head was just right, not too foamy. I really love the label too. The artwork fits perfectly.

kneeland, Oct 03, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic pint.

Appearance: Amber-orange with the slightest haze. Very thin head with just a touch of lacing.

Smell: Caramel malts, English-style hops and very light spice (cinnamon mostly). No pumpkin detected.

Taste: Dried-out caramel malt body with a strong spiciness that seems to be a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and English hops. The pumpkin taste is noticeable but very subtle.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium body, great dry finish.

Drinkability: Comes across as a dry, heavily spiced Amber Ale more than a Pumpkin Ale. Very refreshing, even if not quite as expected. The battle cap said "quaff" on the inside, which is very fitting for this beer.

bsp77, Oct 02, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

A= Pours light golden amber with a thin head that lasts. Lacing sticks as it goes down the glass.

S= The smell of spiciness comes across as somewhat perfumy. A very mild/subdued aroma. Some light malt.

T= Pumpkin without the spicing doesn't really have much flavour. Neither does this beer. While I'm not a fan of the overly spiced, here the spicing is underwhelming. The beer base is grainy with a bit of a grassy dryness, with a slightly bitter touch.

M= Light-to-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D= Really kind disappointed in this beer thought it would be a lot better than it was but it really failed me don't need to try this one again. I haven't really found a pumpkin beer that I like.

LiquidBread219, Oct 01, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Pours a deep,clear amber with a fleeting 2 inch,stark white head and attractive rings of lacing.

S-The nose is a little disappointing.Pretty uninspired.It smells like a straightforward amber ale.Some caramelization.Some bready malt and a little floral hoppiness.No pumpkin or spice on the nose.

T-Alot more here than the nose would suggest.Fresh pumpkin,baked brown sugar,sweet cinnamon and earthy nutmeg.Great flavors of fall.

M-Light to medium bodied with a natural sweetness and well-balanced spice note.

D-This beer is well-suited to fall holidays and
backyard bonfires.

StlHopHead77, Sep 30, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice deep orange color, thin off-white head.

First impressions of this was that it was a pumpkin pale ale. some nice hop bitterness for balance to the pumpkin and spice flavors.

On my second go at this I started to pick out some chamomile and sage notes in the smell and on the finish of each sip.

Overall though, the flavor was composed of lots of cinnamon. Reminded me of a snicker doodle. Nice roasty bread flavors and a pilsner-esque bitterness aftertaste.

Overall one of the better pumpkin beers I've had this year.

Spider889, Sep 30, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer pours with a deep, dark, hazy, golden color. The head is lovely but doesn't hang around for long. It does, however, leave a beautiful ring around the glass. Upon first sniff, there are very distinct notes of cinnamon, with just a hint of clove and ginger. The cinnamon is front and center in the taste. It finishes with a little pumpkin pie flavor to it. Pretty limited hop presence (just a bit in the finish). Overall, an excellent example of one of the many reasons I love Fall so much; but, as with all fruit/vegetable beers I can only drink so many in one sitting (which is maybe a good thing!)

shodrod, Sep 29, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer pours an orangish-golden body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a thin cream head that is a bit soapy. The body has a very faint haze to it. The smell of gingerbread spices and graham crackers is strong but not chemical. A note of honey and some pale malt along with a faint spiciness that might be hops give it more support. The taste of ginger and cinnamon with some nutmeg and pale malt give this a spicy taste. Note of pepper and a carbonic acid or chalkiness combine with the dry taste at the finish. medium mouthfeel with no astringency or alcohol warmth. This beer has a very good balance of spices and has some good malt to play a supporting role. It would be nice to see some more malt or hops or alcohol help balance the spices perhaps.

Anthony1, Sep 28, 2010

A: Nice Brownish reddish amber color wiht a slight head. Very crisp color.
S: Nice cinnamon and nutmeg flavor coupled with malt and almost a pumpkiny squash type aroma.
T:Nice strong pumpkin cinnamon flavor that actually has a woody cinnamon characteristic. Really deep layered flavor with the malt makes it really enjoyable.
D/M: Nice subtle carbonation really brings out the flavor. While being a full beer, its not too over powering and would be great on a cold day.

pzrhsau, Sep 28, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

had a bottle of this the other night, i do have to mention that i had just gotten over a cold and my nose was still a little stuffy

appearance - poured a nice golden amber color with moderate carbonation, barely visible head

smell - smelled of pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices but none strong enough to detect by themselves

taste - taste was alright, a sweet cinnamon at the front, faded more into an almost bitter nutmeg/clove flavor, and finished with a nice sweet pumpkin flavor, none of these flavors were too strong but detectable

mouthfeel - this brew felt almost too watery for me, very thin but the carbonation added a nice little boost to it and worked nicely with the beer, giving it a refreshing feel

drinkability - i could drink a few of these without even noticing it, but it would be one of those beers i drank if i wasnt really paying too much attention to the flavor, more of a smokey halloween party beer than a finish to a week beer that i was hoping for

this beer was alright, iv noticed this year that im not digging the pumpkin ales as much as i was last year, maybe my palate changed, maybe my im just bored with them, or maybe my memories of how they tasted last year are exaggerated to i feel like im being let down, that being said both my brother and girlfriend loved this beer so to each their own, have one more bottle left and ill give it a shot at halloween

SeaUrchin, Sep 27, 2010
3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear amber body w/ a one-finger head that died quick and left minimal lace on top of a rather pedistrian aroma as barely any spices poke out; aroma seems to be muted for some reason. A creamy, stiff pumpkin beer that isn't bad but seems like it's been made for mass consumption. The pumpkin and nutmeg spice are minimal and the beer passes very lightly, even watery for a pumpkin beer. Crisp backbite w/ spicy pepper edge is decent finish. A good beer but one is enough for me.

clayrock81, Sep 27, 2010

Bottle served @ Brew's Cafe in Granville--

A- Very nice color, an autumn orange/copper that fit the style nicely. Thin head that didn't stay around long. No lacing to speak of.

S- Smelled very nice of cinnamon and nutmeg, as stated on the bottle. Easily the best feature of this beer.

T- The smell left me expecting more from the taste of this beer than what I got. Spices were evident, pumpkin flavor wasn't strong.

M- Noticeable carbonation, with a pretty strong aftertaste.

D- Overall a decent pumpkin ale, don't think it's one of my top 3, but it's a solid beer.

Franz4, Sep 26, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: Pours into pint glass a dark reddish/ orange hue with about one finger's worth of light head forming.

Smell: the spices dominated the nose on this beer, some cinnamon was recognizable immediately.

Taste: again mostly the spice, some malt however this ale is more like an Amber than a Brown, so the malt is not as powerful as I would have liked, there was some pumpkin taste, but not as much as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: fairly light compared to other pumpkin beers.

Drinkability: its alright, I would have preferred it to have been a litter heavier and had some of a pumpkin taste, but it was rather drinkable even with all the spice.

mcann2pu, Sep 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

My rating of this beer might seem confusing but alloew me to explain.

A - When I poured this beer into my glass is came out with a red/brown body with a full finger of off-white head that didn't decrease much at all. As the beer settled, it appeared clear at the bottom of the glass and became murky starting an inch off the bottom and rising to the top. I was not too thrilled with this murky appearance of the ale.

S - However I was very pleased with the smell of the beer, each inhale brought with it the intoxicating aroma of roasted malt and pumpkin spice with more than a hint of cinnamon. The scent peaked my interest basically reversing the uncertainty the look had given me.

T - The nostrils did not lie about this brew, the tastebuds are immediately bombarded with malt, followed by a heavy dose of pumpkin, and finally the sweet taste of some cinnamon. It even left a deliciously sweet after taste that kept me swigging.

F - The ale was fairly carbonated which gave a little tingle to the tongue as the brew flowed over the tongue. However, when I let the beer sit on the pallet for a little while the spices seemed to mix with the carbonation to an almost irratating state.

D - I gave only mediocre stats for drinkability because about half way through the glass the pumpkin and spices became a little too over powering and I found myself thinking that one glass or maybe two at the most would be sufficient for any occassion.

All in all i did enjoy this beer. I'm usually not a spice beer kind of guy, but this one kept my interest for the most part.

StoutKing0104, Sep 22, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours redish amber color with a thin white head that dissipates quickely.

It has a spicy aroma consisting of nutmeg and a slight cinnamon.

The first flavor that hits me is cinnamon with the nutmeg in the background then some caramel from the malt.

Smooth mouthfeel with just the right consistancy to support the flavors.

Very drinkable and goes down really smooth for a spice beer.

JoePat, Sep 18, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - The beer never seemed to get much head on it and what little head it had dissipated quickly. The beer itself is crystal clear and medium orange.

S - This smells exactly like pumpkin pie to me, even right from the bottle. You can tell it's going to be spicy just by the smell.

T - The pumpkin/spice/caramel flavors are definitely up front. Once these flavors fade there is a noticeable bitterness but this seemed less intense after each sip. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, it's just not typical of Pumpkin Ales. I would definitely classify this as a bold/spicy pumpkin ale.

M - The mouth feel is a little lighter than other pumpkin ales I've had but it's not bad. It seems fitting for the appearance and flavor.

D - I like pumpkin ales and I like spicy pumpkin ales even more so I could definitely have a few of these in a session. I think the lack of sweetness makes it more drinkable than some of the other pumpkin ales.

Pumpkin ales can vary a lot in flavor but this one is towards the spicy end of the category. I'd say it's a good beer in general and I would buy this one again, especially if it was a 6-pack or on tap.

FredTheSeal, Sep 16, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

a-pours a nice golden amber colour almost devoid of any head...

s-some light cinnamon and nutmeg smells coming through in the initial smell. I wasn't getting a lot of pumpkin. Maybe as I make my way through the sixer it will reveal itself.

t-a little bitterness which I didn't mind. Rounded out by some of the spices that were hinted at in the bouquet.

m-a little light I thought.

d-Pretty high I thought. I would drink it all night as a decent beer but would not buy it if I was looking for a pumpkin beer.

Mit, Sep 14, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a clear orange copper with a minimalistic head that fades almost instantly.
Ichabod smells spicy(cinnamon and nutmeg) and also smells a bit barny. Almost like the farm the pumpkins were grown and held on.
It has a bit of an upfront bitterness, more than I've tasted in most other pumpkin ale's. It tastes of cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and caramelly malts. It is a decent pumpkin ale but definetly not one of my favorites.
The mouthfeel on this beer was played pretty well. It has a moderate carbonation and a semi full and creamy feel. Pumpkins could have played into this, as far as I know that's predominately what they are for anyway's.

cooch69, Sep 14, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A 12 oz. bottle, picked up at The Foodery - North Liberties in Philadelphia. Poured to a stubby 8 oz. glass that's as good as I can find at the hotel.

Label recommends pairing with roasted poultry, root vegetables, peanut sauce and caraway. All sound good, but I have access to none of the above. Sad.

A: Clear, amber. I could leave it at that, but I'll elaborate: minimal head (one might say it's nearly 'headless'. See, 'cuz it's 'Ichabod'? Headless Horseman? I digress...), of broken khaki, little carbonation. A pretty color, but an otherwise mundane look to this one. A few lolling lace bits and bands.

S: Reasonably strong whiff of allspice, nutmeg and the like. Quite a nice nostril-twitching dryness, slyly nutty.

T: Spice? Check. An ample autumnal sprinkling that is fresh-ground and hints at ginger zest. Gingerbread starts strong yet dies feebly with each sip.

M: Ooh, surprisingly thin feel. What keeps this interesting in the mouth is an ample spiciness that completely dries out the mouth. It's like a cotton swab dragged across the tongue. Disappointing, I suppose...or at least not really what I expected/enjoy.

D: Yeah, I really do like pumpkin beers. I like that this doesn't stray to far towards sweet/'artificial' flavors that often turn folks off to the style; spice and earthy dryness are good things. Still, this won't rank among the better ones I've had. Worthy of a try, especially if you like the style.

msubulldog25, Sep 13, 2010