New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
BrewMaster

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle that I picked up while in Dearborn, MI. The beer is a nice orange to yellow color with a light tan head. The aroma, as expected, is full of pumpkin spice smells. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and sweet pumpkin. It also has a bit of alcohol in the aroma.

The flavor is not potent but more sublte. It has a cinnamon taste but more of an earthy cinnamon than a sweet cinnamon. It is a bark quality to it too. The subtle flavor makes the beer seem a bit weak on flavor. It has more of an alcohol taste than a pumpkin taste.

10-16-2004 21:32:38 | More by BrewMaster
ZAP

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Hazy golden color...creamy white head..nose is big on cinnamon and ginger...not much in the way of pumpkin....body is on the lighter side of medium...not real substantial...taste is mild... cinnamon again...seems almost watery at the end...the spicining is nice but it just seems to be lacking in pumpkin and also depth and body...average..

10-16-2004 05:19:15 | More by ZAP
ALESwhatCURESya

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

My first impression of this beer was its suprisingly light color. It wasn't as light as a Bud Light, but for a pumpkin ale, it was pretty weak. The aroma was nice and pure with a true pumpkin spice smell filled with heavy nutmeg and cinnamon. The taste was ok, but it finished way too dry for me to enjoy it. The spices came quick from the start but in the end I was just left with a wierd mouthfeel. I would not go as far as saying this is a bad beer, but there are definately some better pumpkins out this season.

10-15-2004 23:40:02 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
Bighuge

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Pale golden tone that shows no carbonation. LIght colored for a pumpkin beer. Thin off white head recedes to a rimming in no time. Lacing is negligible. Sweet and spicy aroma. Honey and orange and cinnamon, nutmeg...a dash of ginger. Not bad. Get the orange/honey thing on the palate as well. Some pumpkin if you look real hard, but barely detectable. A lot of cinnamon on the buds as well. Spicy. Body is medium at best. Everything is pretty average with this pumpkin brew.

10-15-2004 02:14:24 | More by Bighuge
CortexBomb

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours out an off orangish colour with mild haze, not much head though, just a ring left only a minute after the pour. Smell is mainly pumpkin spice with some malt standing behind it.

Taste...a spice blast up front, but it's not like the aroma, it's more ginger mixed with pepper, and doesn't fit the beer that well. The malt is there, along with the most vague rememberence of pumpkin, and an odd...very aluminum bite throughout though, like I imagine biting into a beer can would taste like. I do not like this.

Mouthfeel..thin, as expected for the style, but not much carbonation either. Drinkability reflects my general feeling on this beer, good idea, terrible implementation. I love a well done spice featuring beer, but this doesn't do it for me, not even close.

New Holland continues to underwhelm me...

10-14-2004 23:35:07 | More by CortexBomb
lackenhauser

Maryland

Amber in color-sort of leans towards orange. OK head. Spices in the aroma.Some malt. Ok flavor-theres a slight maltiness and the spices come thru but both are hidden behind a slight metallic flavor that lasts the whole way down. Body is suited to the style. A decent enough beer. Id say to definately try it if your looking to find a better pumpkin beer. Perhaps I got an off sample-lose the slight harshness I think it could be a better,more enjoyable beer.

10-12-2004 01:29:00 | More by lackenhauser
Brian700

3.38/5  rDev -4%

This pours a decent looking beer with an O.K. looking head. It's color is a sort of a hazy golden. It doesn't look like I had imagined it would. The aroma didn't really smell like I would have expected it to as well. Pretty week on the spicey aroma. I could pick up on a little bit of ginger which isn't really the main spice you would want to emphasize in a pumpkin ale. The first sip of this beer is spiciest taste you will experience while drinking this beer. This is because that the spices are so mild that after the first drink or two your taste buds just kind of ignore or forget about them. Could definately use a little more spice. The mouthfeel is good. Nice amount of carbonation. It's an average beer. It's drinkable but I could think of many other beers I would rather be drinking.

10-09-2004 23:40:45 | More by Brian700
99bottles

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: A hazy golden with the faintest hue of peach. Thin fizzy white head with below average to poor retention. Thin lace persists, but does not cling to glass.

Smell: Singular. Ginger. You might convince me of clove or nutmeg, but mostly ginger. Absolutely no pumpkin to this nose.

Taste: Hmmm. Not what I would expect a PUMPKIN ale to taste like. Tastes more like a Budweiser with some spices. The pumpkin taste tries to creep in the aftertaste, but the wash of “fall spices” sends it back underneath the bland two row and into only the most optimistic of memories. Ginger, in a much overstated fashion, then clove and nutmeg, then cinnamon, then finally, maybe a taste of pumpkin. Disappointing. Get Smuttynose if you want to taste pumpkin in your ale. Get Bethlehem Brew Works if you want to taste Pumpkin Pie in your ale. Get this if you want to be let down and hypocritical of pumpkin and fruit/veggie ales in the future. Sad.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Thin, highly carbonated. Nowhere near as malty as it ought to have been. Not viscous enough, not balanced. Drinkable? It’s as drinkable as Natural Light. Meaning, easy to drink and somewhat difficult to enjoy.

10-01-2004 16:43:37 | More by 99bottles
ken3c

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

Light orange color is appropriate. Head is a little small but leaves a ring that laces a little. Very clear.

Aroma has a subtle combination of UK hops, malt, and nutmeg.

Sweetness up front is quickly replaced by a bold bitterness. The pumpkin taste only shows up for the aftertaste. This is like a really good pale ale with a little extra.

Mouthfeel is light-medium body. Smooth and lightly carbonated.

I just can't help smiling when I drink this beer.

09-17-2004 06:24:16 | More by ken3c
redmosquito

From the bottle a dark orange in color with a good toasted bread colored head. Spicey aroma with notes of pine. Flavor is of subdued malt sweetness and assertive pumpkin pie spice. I admit I am a pumpkin beer fan, but I think most would find this enjoyable.

09-08-2004 20:31:03 | More by redmosquito
trumick

3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

I like this beer, and this is not my normal orderly review but this is not a normal orderly beer. It is great for the style. Very spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin scent. Sweet malt, spice taste with a dry hop, ginger, pepper finish. The pepper finish stays for a while. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with heavy carbination. I could drink a bunch of these. What a nice beer. I will buy these whenever they are available.

09-04-2004 03:27:27 | More by trumick
mattcrill

States right on the label that it's brewed with real pumpkin...we shall see.

Appearance: Pours orange-amber and crystal clear with a rocky white head.

Smell: Refreshing blend of light hops, spice, and flowery aroma.

Taste: Hop bitterness first, ginger, and cinnamon next then...it's done. WTF??? I didn't taste any pumpkin in there. Sip again...nope it's the same taste. I'm not picking up any pumpkin. To me, this tastes like a mild pale ale with a few spices thrown in as an after-thought.

Mouthfeel: Very light, crispy, and refreshing.

Drinkability and overall: Pretty light, quaffable brew. To quote Bono, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". To me, this beer did NOT come as advertised. There is a lot of hype around here about New Holland Brewing. This beer did not live up to the hype. I wouldn't even consider this a good fall brew. Your time would be better served elsewhere.

08-29-2004 16:47:03 | More by mattcrill
SheepNutz

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -29.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy medium orange color with three fingers of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly spicy, but not too strong. Little hints of pumpkin and cinnamon aromas. The taste did not really live up to my expectations. It's fairly bland at first, not much maltiness or spice coming through. It has a very metallic finish to it. Rather odd. The mouthfeel isn't too bad, but the drinkability suffers due to the taste. It's not as bad as it could be, and I'd give it another shot someday.

03-17-2004 03:52:18 | More by SheepNutz
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.8/5  rDev -48.9%

This was a mixture of high's and low's for me. The appearamce was the strong point, with it's nice orangey/amber color and the off white fluffy head. After that, it went down the preverbial crapper. Just the thought of the taste and smell makes me cringe in horror. The smell was of old stinky feet and rancid puke. Seriously. I could find a little hint of some all spice in there, but it was then quickly bludgened to death by the horrid smell. The taste was quite similar, but the stinky crap was still there. If you drank it while you held your nose, it wasn't so bad, but I don't want to do that when I drink beer. I drink beer to taste and smell everything it has to offer, so I can fully enjoy it. The mouthfell was a little creamy, but still had the sting of carbonation. Again, this is some nasty stuff. I couldn't finish it, maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was horrid.

01-02-2004 06:26:58 | More by JISurfer
marburg

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

Watery, thin, pale, lacking in flavor, and washed out.

Fleshy yellowy-peach color with a mild off-white head. There's nothing "wrong" with the appearance, but a good pumpkin ale, I think, should have a deeper, richer color -- presumably to match its depth of flavor.

Pretty strong malty pale ale-like backbone with minimal spices, predominantly nutmeg. A little estery fruit flavor -- kind of a mish-mash of tropical fruits and pumpkin -- round it out. Tastes like poor store-bought pumpkin pie.

I prefer the real deal. Mediocre.

12-09-2003 01:37:45 | More by marburg
maxpower

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev -4%

Hazy orange color with a nice creamy off white head that leaves a nice lacing. Aroma of butter and mild pumpkin pie spices, a bit sweeter than I expected, light pumpkin pie flavors, but not over done, nice balanced, good spicy aftertaste, medium bodied with a slightly watery mouthfeel, one of the better pumpkin beers around.

11-16-2003 20:11:52 | More by maxpower
ngandhi

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Nutmeg nose. Very "beery." New Holland does a surprisingly good job of INTEGRATING the pumpkin flavor into Ichabod Ale (instead of just laying it on thick and heavy). It tastes like pumpkin, but I don't think I would've known it on a blind taste test. The flavor's actually an odd mix between American wheat and amber ale.

This is certainly a beer to be paired with a fall dessert -- pumpkin pie, obviously, but pear tart or apple pie might also work very well. On its own, this brew is unsatiating. I appreciate that New Holland makes this a beer first (instead of a liquid pumpkin pie); the ability to ferment any residual sweetness and vegetativeness out the pumpkin while maintaining a light pumpkin flavor (helped greatly by the nutmeg nose) is commendable.

The medium/full body is fizzy and unpleasant at times.

Subtle. Subtle. Subtle.

Relax, relax.
ng

11-15-2003 02:47:46 | More by ngandhi
winomark

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Deep golden color, lighter than other pumpkin beers I have tried.

Aroma: Pumpkin pie spices dominate, but also has a good malt backbone.

Taste: Dry spices in the front, with malt taking over through the finish. Somewhat tannic.

Mouthfeel: Tasty, but the tannic flavors gives a dry, unimpressive mouthfeel.

Drinkabilty: This beer needs more pumpkin flavor to be considered to the style, IMO.

10-25-2003 16:57:37 | More by winomark
Mitchster

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Brewed with Caravienne and Carapils malts. Cascade & Mt.Hood hops. Re-reviewed on 9-22-06
OG=1.065, 5.5% ABV, 15.40 IBU.

Finely cloudy peach colored brew pours with nary a head. This bottle must have had a leaky seal, as there was barely a "whoosh" as I opened it. Even with a vigorous pour, this barely achieves a flimsy soapy white head. There is no lacing to speak of. Carbonation is very mild. Aroma is predominately fruity and grainy vienna or munich malt tempered by a strong note of ginger, and more subtle nutmeg, cumin and cinnamon. Taste is decent for a pumpkin brew, not usually being a fan. There is a strong touch of the spices mentioned above, with a banana baby food sweetness rounding it out. There is a subtle touch of hop spice towards the end with a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is nice, with a watery crispness and medium body. Towards the end, there is a touch of toasted graininess.

Overall, an average pumpkin ale. I wouldn't drink more than one of these of these in a row, as the spices are quite palate-fatiguing.

10-19-2003 17:51:58 | More by Mitchster
cokes

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Particle-laden yellow with a rapidly fading white cap.
Spiced nose of pumpkin, ginger and cinnamon. with a crust-like pale maltiness and sour tinges.
Flavor enters with a dry, pils-like maltiness. It's quickly brushed aside in favor of the promised ginger and cinnamon. Sourness hints at pumpkin pulp but also lime juice. Not much to speak of otherwise. Hopping is negliable.
Thin bodied and could have been a refreshing Autumn quaffer. Its well-spiced (but not overdone) nature is appealing. The sourness is not. Nor is the lack of malt and hop depth.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a pumpkin beer fan. But even objectively, this is miles from special.

10-08-2003 00:34:28 | More by cokes
Winter

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy amber with a white head that settles on the surface. Aroma consists of fleshy pumpkin, malt, damp hay, nutmeg, clove and a hint of cinnamon. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Taste consists of pumpkin with a chewy bready malt front. The middle introduces a nice balance of bitterness from Cascade and Mt. Hood hops. A nice spice-flavored finish of clove and nutmeg close things out.

As far as pumpkin beers go, this isn't half bad. Definitely something you have to be in the mood for (which I was). Not sure if I could drink this on a regular basis, but Ichabod is pretty good for a Autumn offering.

10-03-2003 20:07:44 | More by Winter
tavernjef

3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

Color is a dark pale squash-like yellow, how fitting, head is small, loose and white, fading very fast, leaves minimal lace. Smell reminds me of fresh squash and pumpkin guts, but faintly, not all that aromatic, but is complexingly nice. Some lighter mild and dull fruits are more so in the smell with some dried light lemon, tomato, melon, yellow pepper, and nutmeg noted. Nice mild vegetable spiced nose. Taste is intreging and mildly spiced with various vegetable and fruitish qualities, balanced well with cracker like malts and a moderate little hop bite. Subtle flavors intice alot of garden memories with tomato, a touch of dull lemon, a bit of squash and pumpkin, mild spice, cinnamon, mild pepper, & nutmeg, actually it kinda reminds me of old ketchup, just not as thick of course. Feel is lighter then medium, clean and fresh with a super quick and crisp finish with some mild and dull spices lingering. I actually liked the little nuances this had, the subtlites are quite nice, every sip brought out something a bit different then the last. A nice refreshingly spiced little beer.

Thanks goes to my neighbor who travels to Michigan every now and then to visit family and just happens to think of me when at the liquor stores. Thanks Rebecca!

09-30-2003 22:03:25 | More by tavernjef
granger10

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer poured an amber, almost pumpkin-like color. The body was cloudy and the head was lacking. This really does taste like autumn in a glass. Pumpkin flavor is there and the spices, which are cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well with the pumpkin flavor. The flavor isn't too strong and this still tastes like a beer. Great job blending the flavors together by New Holland.

09-12-2003 21:57:58 | More by granger10
jcalabre

3.73/5  rDev +6%

Originally sampled on 11 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This one surprised me. I had another brewer"s pumpkin beer a few years back and hated it. However, Ichabod is very nicely done. The pumpkin is well balanced w/ the malt & hops. It"s a hazy amber color w/ a huge, long lasting head.

06-20-2003 19:46:23 | More by jcalabre
oberon

3.45/5  rDev -2%

While Iam not a pumpkin pie fan,I haved enjoyed alot of the pumpkin ales I have had,I really enjoyed cottonwoods pumpkin ale down in NC.This one however fell a little flat,poured a nice deep orange color with pretty decent sized head,smell was not strong enough for me some hint of spices but not rich enough for me.Some spiceness and a very faint pumpkin taste just kinda left me wondering where the rest of it was.I'll be sure not to seek this out when Iam back in Michigan.

05-09-2003 18:33:44 | More by oberon