New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A 12 oz. bottle, picked up at The Foodery - North Liberties in Philadelphia. Poured to a stubby 8 oz. glass that's as good as I can find at the hotel.

Label recommends pairing with roasted poultry, root vegetables, peanut sauce and caraway. All sound good, but I have access to none of the above. Sad.

A: Clear, amber. I could leave it at that, but I'll elaborate: minimal head (one might say it's nearly 'headless'. See, 'cuz it's 'Ichabod'? Headless Horseman? I digress...), of broken khaki, little carbonation. A pretty color, but an otherwise mundane look to this one. A few lolling lace bits and bands.

S: Reasonably strong whiff of allspice, nutmeg and the like. Quite a nice nostril-twitching dryness, slyly nutty.

T: Spice? Check. An ample autumnal sprinkling that is fresh-ground and hints at ginger zest. Gingerbread starts strong yet dies feebly with each sip.

M: Ooh, surprisingly thin feel. What keeps this interesting in the mouth is an ample spiciness that completely dries out the mouth. It's like a cotton swab dragged across the tongue. Disappointing, I suppose...or at least not really what I expected/enjoy.

D: Yeah, I really do like pumpkin beers. I like that this doesn't stray to far towards sweet/'artificial' flavors that often turn folks off to the style; spice and earthy dryness are good things. Still, this won't rank among the better ones I've had. Worthy of a try, especially if you like the style.

msubulldog25, Sep 13, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Alright, its been years since I've done this; so bear with me. As a frame of reference, I'm grading on my own subjective expectations of a pumpkin ale.

The view of this beer is nothing special. Amber gold, slightly cloudy, but no head or lacing.

The smell is good, strong spice notes. Even a little pumpkin meat. (although I don't know if any actual pumpkin made it to the mash) Good so far.

The taste is stronger than expected. I was hoping for more subtlety. But it still rings of autumn.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Not syrup, not shooting pain of carbonation. Doesn't kill the stomach either.

Overall, its a great pumpkin. A lot of breweries screw this up, but I think New Holland took a good route. Still can't compete with my yearly homebrew pumpkin, but that's kind of the point.

BeardedSquash, Sep 13, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a golden amber with a small white head that disappears rather quickly. Thin lacing.

Aromas are typical of the style; I smell pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

The tastes fairly resemble the aroma but I feel the pumpkin is lacking in the taste. More like a fresh pumpkin than pumpkin pie which just tastes starchy. I taste mellow malt, and maybe brown sugar. I expected more from this brewery to be honest.

The mouthfeel makes this beer easy to drink. I thought it was quite smooth compared to a few other pumpkin ales I've had but mouthfeel is the least important category to me, the recipe needs some tweaking for enhanced flavors.

Overall, I have had many many many pumpkin beers and this will be a one and done for me as there are much better examples of the style both imperial and regular versions.

claspada, Sep 12, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Orange to amber-brown, crystal clear, one finger head that didn't last, thin but decent lacing.

Smells slightly pumpkiny and spicy, but also grainy like a pilsner. Tho the pumpkin spices are notable, the grainy effect is obvious. I still rate it slightly above average tho, as it smells pretty good.

Taste is pretty average for a pumpkin. Nothing like the top of the line pumpkins, although not bad. Light pumpkin flavor, typical pumpkin spices notable (cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice), caramel malts. Seemed to lack the sweetness I'd expect from this style.

Mouthfeel was kind of mostly average. A bit watery. Light carbonation.

Drinks average at best. There are other pumpkins that I would much rather drink.

AlCaponeJunior, Sep 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Only the second new pumpkin of the season, I've got to step it up. A cloudy wisp of head tries to cover a translucent orange amber body. The nose is sweet with cinnamon and nutmeg as you would expect.

The pumpkin flavor is up front in the taste along with a melange of bready malts, hops, and pumpkin spice. The balance isn't perfect but it's pretty close. I could do with a touch less carbonation, which also holds the aftertaste back. This also gets better as it warms a bit and the flavors come out.

Not the best pumpkin ever but certainly serviceable and well worth trying.

daliandragon, Sep 11, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +29.7%

To me, there's nothing more welcoming in Fall than the aroma of pumpkin roasting in the oven. One sniff of this beer and I am reminded of that feeling. This clear medium amber brew has a wonderfully roasty malt and pumpkin spice balanced flavor. Good mouthfeel and body. Finish is clean malt and pumpkin. Nods to birchstick for this one - great trade!

BogleHill, Sep 11, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Man it's been a while since my last review, not that I haven't been drinking, but I guess I just got lazy!?!

Have had this brew many times, but this (to my recollection) is the first time on tap...

A: Pours a clear, amber-reddish color with a decent looking white-ish head.
Little to no lacing, but still looks decent enough...
S: Nose is malty and spicy...nutmeg and cinnamon up front with a hint of pumpkin, floral hop notes, and something sweet, brown sugar maybe?!?
Nonetheless, smells exactly what I would expect from the style...

T: Definitely malty, but the spices do come through nicely...mostly nutmeg up front, but the cinnamon and pumpkin seem to linger on the palate.

M: Not overly carbonated, with a light/medium feel...enjoyable...

D: Overall, not the greatest pumpkin beer out there, but by far not the worst.
I've always (modestly) enjoyed this beer, and it doesn't seem to fail,.
Worth a shot, and not to mention very easily drinkable...

Goldopelgt, Sep 10, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Stone RIS snifter. Poured an amber to dark brown with about a half inch of head. The aroma consisted of mostly nutmeg with a little bit of pumpkin thrown in. The taste was the same. The pumpkin wasn't as much of a factor as I would have liked, and I couldn't tell cinnamon was even used. It seems like they used too much of the nutmeg. I did kill my 6 pack of this over memorial day weekend so it was pretty enjoyable. However, this is one of my favorite breweries and I felt they could have done better.

jonvan04, Sep 10, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Tried this brew, and going from memory, wasn't a huge fan last time I had it several years ago, but funny going from memory I was never a huge fan of pumpkin, vegetable or fruit beers in general. BUT, on my revisit, I have to say, it has grown on me now that I went to the store with a taste for, a spiced beer (someone mentioned Great Lakes Christmas Ale a few weeks back, so this one hit the spot). Ok, so, the color, let's say, burnt pumpkin orange, it looks malty, but doesn't smell overwhelmingly malty, and has some hops to balance things out a little. Ultimately, this beer smells like a pumpkin pie on first whiff, like a fresh grandma's pumpkin pie, not a canned pumpkin pie filling, or, a stale beer frat house mixed with pumpkin flavoring, but a nicely put together pumpkin beer, and hell, it tastes the same way too. So, for what it is worth, this is the best pumpkin beer I have tried to date, cause this will probably be the LAST pumpkin beer this season, maybe it got an unfair advantage given my history with it, but I do have good tastes, and I know what I am doing so,...trust me, this one is good, it is worthy, IF you truly want a pumpkin pie beer. Now, do you?

Star80, Sep 09, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

A - pours an orangeish amber with a one finger head

S - smells of cinnamon and spices with a touch of pumpkin. Nice nose

T - the pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg are definitely there. The nutmeg is pretty noticeable halfway through the palate, but is dominated by the cinnamon, which gives it a a dry finish. Not bad, but I think the spices are too amped up.

M - Nice full body that goes down smoothly. As mentioned previously, the cinnamon gives this beer a dry finish.

D - not a bad pumpkin ale by any means, however I think there is too much nutmeg and cinnamon that amplify flavors I enjoy being more complementary rather than dominating in pumpkin ales. Worth a try, but I think I'll stick to Schlafly when it comes to buying Pumpkin Ales.

birchstick, Sep 04, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours clear amber in color with a medium-sized off-white head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind thick lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt with nutmeg and cinnamon, along with light pumpkin notes. The malt really shines through in the aromas, while the pumpkin and spices are a little more laid-back than in other brews, but are still noticeable.

Taste: Begins with notes of spices, mostly cinnamon with a nutmeg note, finishing with caramel malt and light pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with light carbonation and a sticky finish.

Drinkability: A fairly average pumpkin ale, but still a good one. Glad I got to try this as it's not available in NY (I think), but if it were it would not be the first pumpkin ale I'd go for.

Mosstrooper, Sep 03, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +17%

A - Clear coppery, orange when poured into my pint glass. A finger cream head has great retention. Above average lacing. A good amount of carbonation on its way to the top.

S - Pumpkin is most prominent. There is also cinnamon and nutmeg. A very little bit of alcohol. Pleasent.

T - Very nice taste here. Cinnamon up front but stong pumpkin notes balance is out nicely. A nice mild spice after taste leaves a good impression.

M - Medium body. Just right amount of carbonation.

D - Easy to drink and taste good. More of a dinner beer then session one though.

LairdChisholm, Sep 02, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

S- This is a really spicy pumpkin beer. Its loaded with nice smelling fall spices. Cinnamon is very strong as is nutmeg and allspice. Pumpkin is there but it is secondary. Creamy malts and grassy hops are behind it all.

T- Very cinnamony. At times its like a cinnamon roll. Other spices create a blend. Pumpkin helps sweeten things up. As it warms hops become slightly noticeable at the finish. They are grassy.

MbpBugeye, Aug 30, 2010
3.53/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a rusty color and a completely clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Below average lacing.

S: A nice smell of spices, pumpkin and malt.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, cinnamon, and other spices up front, with some malt in the finish. A little on the the thin and watery side, but decent.

M: A fairly well carbonated beer with a dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: Drinkable, but not particularly memorable.

avalon07, Aug 28, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

I poured this one into a Guinness pint glass. It poured a watery, translucent charcoal tinged orange with almost no head. The smell is rich with cinnamon, nutmeg, real pumpkin and perhaps ginger. The taste is pretty bold and very spicy. The nutmeg and cinnamon are at the forefront. It's almost bitter with the spiciness. It's light and crisp and refreshing. I've certainly had better pumpkin beers so I was a little disappointed in the Ichabod.

aasher, Aug 24, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +2%

Nice aroma of coriander with a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon - pumpkin pie spices.

Pours a decent head with good retention and spotty lacing. A pretty clear golden amber color - the color of a ripe pumpkin. Good carbonation with continuous streams of bubbles from the bottom.

Pumpkin beers are not really a favorite, but this beer has improved with six months aging. When first sampled in October, it was not very impressive. Somewhat flat and tinny. While it still has a hint of minerals, the pumpkin pie spice predominates -- it has mellowed and is more well-rounded with better definition of the herbs. Succinct, pumpkin pie aftertaste is pushed by a mild hop rush through the middle of the slosh.

Went surprisingly well with a bowl of Doll'ed-up pickled-vegetable flavored ramen noodles with lemongrass tofu, cilantro and vegetables. Still not my cup of tea though, except maybe as a party novelty.

tubacharlie, Apr 25, 2010

This is my first beer into the pumpkin realm. The pour into a pint glass was a orange color. Almost no head at all just a white haze lines the top of the glass. The drinking of this beer is one that I really enjoyed. The pumpkin is subtle, but still strong enough to know what I'm drinking. I put down 3 of these without thinking twice, and I really enjoyed this beer. I look forward to trying some more pumpkin beers next fall. I would recommend this to anybody who was curious about it.

tykees88, Feb 07, 2010
3.53/5  rDev 0%

Looks pretty nice. Quite clear somewhat deep coloured amber ale. Nice two finger offwhite head, decent retention despite mild carbonation. Head settles to leave a decent collar.

Aroma is quite subdued. Mostly slightly sour apple, some pumpkin spice, and pumpkin with a clean maltiness. Smells good, just wish there was some more emphasis on pumpkin.

Fairly mild in flavour, much like the nose. The flavours are good, and the pumpkin spice makes its presence known, mostly ginger and some nutmeg and allspice, in a nicely balanced manner.

Somewhat light and watery. Nothing special.

Thanks to the balance and light body this is pretty drinkable. Id certainly recommend it to fans of the style, although this isnt one of my favorites, with its slight emphasis on clean malts over pumpkin.

demcorhip, Jan 23, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Hazy orange body topped by a very thin ring of fine bubbles. aroma is faintly of pumpkin pie - nutmeg comes through the most. Flavor is a bit metallic, somewhat artificial tasting. The pumpkin spices just don't blend with the malt and hop profile. Body is also a little thin - seems almost watery with respect to the pumpkin flavor. Drinkability is poor - I saved a few of these hoping they would improve, but it's still the same disappointing beer I bought in the fall. That being said, nobody's perfect. Most of New Holland's line is well above average.

aaronh, Jan 23, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Russian River tulip glass. Pours a golden amber color wit ha few white bubbles on top that clung to the sides. laced a little on the glass.

Aroma is mostly spices, cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves. Taste has all the spices of the nose but the pumpkin also comes through a little as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK, the spices become a little much for me after a while. It's a decent pumpkin beer but nothing spectacular. My personal preference is more pumpkin and less spices and this leans more on the spices then the pumpkin.

billab914, Jan 10, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

Orange color with a small white head that leaves a solid film after. No real lacing.

Nice spicy nutmeg and cinnamon. A touch of lemon and allspice. Some fruitiness. Light caramel.

Lighter in the spices than the nose suggests. More grainy maltiness with some hop presence. Spices in there as well, to a point. Apricot.

Solid body and medium carbonation.

A fine brew, a fine pumpkin, but more spiced than pumpkiny. For some reason I had this impression that New Holland was a "good" brewery, but I'm starting to think it's more "mediocre" than anything else. In any case, drinkable, if not memorable.

soupyman10, Dec 30, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but of the pumpkin beers I've had, I would put this in second place behind O'Fallon. I like the fact that the spices are not overpowering, which definitely adds to the drinkability. Like other New Holland brews, a tasty effort, but certainly not the best in the style.

stangski83, Dec 27, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a very cloudy orange yellow with a very thin rim of whitish head.
Smell is lightly spiced, pumpkin and maybe cinnamon.
Taste is solid, not outstanding. Not an esspecially spiced beer but that makes it smooth.
Finishs quickly with a small hint of its taste left for the drinker.
Drinks well, definately sessionable.

ThaBobfather, Dec 13, 2009

served on draught at Old Chicago in Okemos, MI.

Mostly clear coppery amber in color with just a hint of haziness. Thin very white head dissipated very quickly to a thin white ring that stuck around through to the end. Light partial lacing.

A sort of malty pumpkin pie spice smell. Compared to other good pumpkin spiced brews out right now, this one seems a bit weak, but still a bit better than your average brew.

Nice solid amber ale, a bit on the dry side, good balance, and only a hint of pumpkin. Perhaps it's just me, but I would normally expect more pumpkin in a pumpkin beer. The finish is mostly clean and short and there is a bit of pumpkin spice in the finish.

Weight in the mouth is quite average - not bad, but not particularly good either. Carbonation is reasonable, but again, just middle of the road and nothing to write home about.

As for drinkability, one of these was plenty and I was ready to look for something different, even if it was a different pumpkin beer. It sounds like I'm really cracking on this beer and I don't mean to, but it is very average and, well, kinda boring.

SIRIUS2, Dec 13, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours light golden amber with a thin head that lasts. Lacing sticks as it goes down the glass.

The smell of spiciness comes across as somewhat perfumy. A very mild/subdued aroma. Some light malt.

Pumpkin without the spicing doesn't really have much flavour. Neither does this beer. While I'm not a fan of the overly spiced, here the spicing is underwhelming. The beer base is grainy with a bit of a grassy dryness, with a slightly bitter touch. Eh...

Light-to-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

A rather bland beer, and there's a taste of pumpkin, but without much spicing. That would be okay, I guess, but the base beer isn't that interesting. Still-in-all it drinks well enough, as it is inoffensive and isn't too sweet or spicy.

jwc215, Dec 13, 2009