New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 518 | Hads: 1,413
3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Pale orange in colour. Starts off with some head but ends up with just some spittle dusting the surface. It does throw off some lace.

The smell holds ginger and punkin maybe a pinch of nutmeg.

The taste is pretty darn close to liquified punkin pie. Punkin and ginger. Slight crusty effect from the yeast character. Nice fall seasonal. The idea of this beer seemed quite distasteful to my mind, but I am pleasantly surprised at how well this actually works. I am going to save some of these for Thanksgiving!

The mouthfeel is just a bit slight of medium. It works well. If it were any more heavy, this thing might feel sickening.

The drinkability falls short of good, simply because it is essentially punkin pie in a bottle. I have never sat down and ate a whole punkin pie, and similarly I would never drink a whole punkin pie (or six bottles of punkin pie if you catch my drift :). All things considered, this is surprisingly unique and tasteful. I am a fan. (971 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +10.1%

it's a nice light amber color—actually on the edge of gold. a frosty high-water mark presides over the festivities

i wouldn't be able to drink this and think "oh yeah, this is made with pumpkin," but i smell it, along with an earthy hop aroma and a touch of golden sweetness. it's almost more of a pumpkin pie, with the spices and hooha that come right at the foretaste (i wish i could pick them out. i once brewed a xmas beer with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. this definitely lacks the ginger, but otherwise seems similar). there's little hop flavor, but some bitterness connects consecutive sips

at first i would have criticised this beer for being one dimensional, but its assets creep out of the dark (721 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Well this is certainly an interesting brew!

Honestly though I think my impressions would be different if I had one of these in the fall when I'd be more keen on the idea of pumpkins and the like, but still, fall is my favorite seasons so at least here is a gentle reminder of that time of year.

Pours a hazy deep gold with a thick stickly head that leaves lacing in literal sheets down the glass. Smell is of a multitude of spices, nutmeg, a little cinnamon maybe, a little clove. The taste is of the explosive type, the spices mix witht he hop to give it a little kick in the beginning tapering into a carbonation hit on the tongue then it trails off into a soft pumpkin and nutmeg combination.

All in all fairly nice, but definatly something a mood thing. Could use a bit less on the spice and more on the pumpkin though if you ask me. (848 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer either changed alot, or I did. I think that the beer did. Pours a basic clear orange color, decent head on it. I remember this thing being hazy. Smells of Cinnamon and nutmeg, perhaps a hint of cloves. Taste is kinda bland, a slight astringency there. Mouthfeel follows the taste, nothing great, but nothing bad. A drinkable beer, but not the beer that I remember from 2000 and 2001.

I think I did notice something on the bottle that might explain things. It says "Ale brewed with Spices". I could swear that it used to say "Ale brewed with Pumpkin". Perhaps they took out the pumpkin?? (600 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A surprising golden orange color - I expected something of a deeper copper colored brew. The aroma is very fruity in addition to the spices - a lot of apricot and peach in the nose in addition to the pumpkin and nutmeg. Flavor could use to be a bit more robust; typical cinnamon and spice in the flavor, but it's lacking. A very mild hop bite in the finish, not enough to back up the other mild flavors going on here. Creamy mouthfeel. An OK pumpkin, but I've had better. Somewhat lackluster for New Holland, methinks. (518 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -8.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a goblet. The color is orange-tinged gold, with only slight wisps of head in the glass. The smell has a bit of cinammon smell with just a bit of pumpkin in it. The taste doesn't really have much of anything, with a bit of pumpkin sweetness and not much of the spicing that a "decent" pumpkin should have. Mouthfeel is nicely carbed. As for drinkability, it's unoffensive but doesn't particularly scream for another one either.

Thank you to trbeer for the bottle....I suppose we tortured him with a pumpkin ale on our recent trip (Post Road), so he had to return the favor ;). Needless to say, pumpkin ale is not a style I particularly admire, and this is no exception. Still, I definitely admire New Holland a hell of a lot, and I can't wait till they make it into the Pittsburgh market (they're on the verge as I write this); I just wouldn't seek this one out when they have so many far superior beers. (939 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -13.3%

I'd had this before in a bottle but wanted to give it a second shot on tap. Thanks to Ashley's in Ann Arbor, I got the chance...

The pint comes a copperish orange with hints of rust and gold. Head is minimal, though I think this may have been the bartender's fault and not really reflective of the beer. The smell of spices is present but not particularly powerful, and were it not for the color I might have mistaken this beer (on smell alone) for any number of 'unflavored' styles.

In the mouth, the pumpkin taste is not overwhelming, but it is difficult to detect at times, as it is hidden by an acrid bitterness that made me wince. Then the pumpkin comes back and disappears again and comes back...the lack of consistency in flavor is a definite disappointment, though I certainly prefer this to an overly sweetened pumpkin ale (ie Shipyard or Blue Moon).

Overall, not bad, but I don't think I'll order this one again anytime soon. Maybe not anytime. (963 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

I had this ale out of the bottle and it poured with a decent head that laced nicely down the side of the glass. The aroma was a nice delicate fall spice experience that the taste failed to follow-up on entirely. It tasted as if they must have used their pale ale as the base for this one and I look forward to trying that as well. I only had one on hand and was drinking while distributing candy to the neigbor kids halloween night so didn't really want to fully test it's drinkability anyway. But I found it to be a good Pumpkin Ale that I will definitely look for again next year. (582 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

I haven't seen too much New Holland here in Indiana. The last month or so. we started getting some in. Anyways, the pour pours a semi-flat burnt amber color with a miniscule white head that quickly fades. Aroma is of malt and spice. Not an overly sweet aroma but there are some nods towards sweetness. I initially got a "winter warmer" type taste from this one, but as it warms it comes into its own. Stronger pumkin notes start coming through, along with some clove. Very easy to drink. A solid fall brew. Get me some more New Holland. (536 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +39.5%

Appearance - a lusty pour into a Maudite glass yields a beer that has a slight hazy, translucent orange glow. Thin cap but manages to lace nonetheless.

Aroma - light pumpkin, strong cinnamon, with a smattering of some other good fall spice aromas that are hard to identify.

Taste - rich malty flavor with layers of pumpkin pie spices all throughout. Very toasty and full-flavored with just enough hops to accentuate the malts and spices, culminating with a nice pie crust finish. The most complete pumpkin ale so far.

Mouthfeel - medium body, sufficient carbonation to give it a crisp autumn feel.

Drinkability - a great pumpkin ale, deserving of its following. I feel lucky to have scored the last sixer from Mitch at my local Shop Kwik. Thanks, Mitch! (765 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

It's getting to be that time of year again. The frost isn't quite on the pumpkin yet, but the leaves have turned and have begun to settle to the earth and there's a melancholy note in the quickening autumn breeze. Winter will be upon us before long, but we can keep the harvest season alive a while longer by drinking and reveling in the great beers of the season. To that end, a pumpkin ale from one of the Midwest's best breweries seems the perfect choice on this crisp, late October day.

Lightly hazy pale pumpkin orange with a generous infusion of amber, as well as candy corn yellow highlights. Saying that Ichabod is a 'headless' beer would make for a great narrative, but thankfully that isn't the case. The dark cream-colored cap is reasonably dense while appearing soft and unsticky. When it drops, it leaves nothing more than a short collar of lace.

The nose is a bit underpowered and lacks much in the way of actual pumpkin. I smell lightly toasted pale malt with a hint of earthiness and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spices. Not bad, just not what I had expected and hoped for.

The flavor is more assertive and is more in keeping with the style. Pumpkin is now evident with the aforementioned spices (nutmeg mostly, some cinnamon) contributing nicely. I'd prefer even more flavor however. Malt provides a light sweetness kept in check by a hop bitterness that is more noticeable on the finish.

The body/mouthfeel is light-medium and the amount of carbonation is spot on. I can imagine a better example of the style, but perhaps not a more approachable one. This is a well-balanced pumpkin ale that tries to be all things to all people and succeeds.

Ichabod is not my Holy Grail of pumpkin ales. It is, however, a solid-across-the-board seasonal beer that aficionados of the style should enjoy. It may not be New Holland's best, but it is a more worthy member of their lineup. (1,901 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness or best by date. Slightly hazy golden liquid, with a touch of an orange tint. White foamy head, which stayed for a few minutes leaving a little bit of lace. Smells of some pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon, nutmeg. None of the smells were terribly overpowering, mostly faint. Pale malt flavor, kind of a funky taste with some bitterness, but maybe not hop related. Light body, highly carbonated, slightly fizzy. Overall, seems kind of messy, bitter which doesn't seem to fit pumpkin ales. Not the worst out there, but I don't think I would search this one out again. (589 characters)

Pours out gold and sits amber in the glass with a fluffy off-white head with nice lacings.

Smells malty and filled with pumpkin and spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon and nice hops backing it up.

Taste starts out sweet and spicy, again, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger. Maltiness is well balanced with the hoppy finish, still lingering with spices. Excellent flavoring of pumpkin pie.

Smooth and creamy in a medium body and good carbonation. Easy drinking with nice flavor. (465 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

Serving type: 12oz. bottle served in shaker pint.

Appearance: Pours a boring pale golden colored concoction with a small tan head that lasts as long as my interest in this beer.

Smell: Smell? What smell? Mild spicey aroma with faint hint of hops.

Taste: Cloves and ginger, mild acidic bite.

Mouthfeel: Watery, medium to high carbonation.

Overall/Drinkability: Easy, yet not very enjoyable to drink. I've heard good things about New Holland, but I fear we've gotten off to a bad start. (501 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a medium amber with a one finger head and pretty good lace. Smell of cinnamon and orange with some ginger and slight alcohol overtones. I don't smell much pumpkin though. Initial hop bitterness, followed by orange and cinnamon. A bit watery for a pumpkin ale, but decent though. Finishes a bit dry and leaves a nice hop bitterness on the sides of your tongue. I could drink a couple of these in one sitting but not much more than that. It's better to get a six, stick it in the fridge, and have one on a Sunday afternoon while watching some football. Not a great beer, but it is a nice one to drink this time of year. Grab some just to give it a try. (656 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle that I picked up while in Dearborn, MI. The beer is a nice orange to yellow color with a light tan head. The aroma, as expected, is full of pumpkin spice smells. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and sweet pumpkin. It also has a bit of alcohol in the aroma.

The flavor is not potent but more sublte. It has a cinnamon taste but more of an earthy cinnamon than a sweet cinnamon. It is a bark quality to it too. The subtle flavor makes the beer seem a bit weak on flavor. It has more of an alcohol taste than a pumpkin taste. (537 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -12.4%

Hazy golden color...creamy white head..nose is big on cinnamon and ginger...not much in the way of pumpkin....body is on the lighter side of medium...not real substantial...taste is mild... cinnamon again...seems almost watery at the end...the spicining is nice but it just seems to be lacking in pumpkin and also depth and body...average.. (340 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -8.9%

My first impression of this beer was its suprisingly light color. It wasn't as light as a Bud Light, but for a pumpkin ale, it was pretty weak. The aroma was nice and pure with a true pumpkin spice smell filled with heavy nutmeg and cinnamon. The taste was ok, but it finished way too dry for me to enjoy it. The spices came quick from the start but in the end I was just left with a wierd mouthfeel. I would not go as far as saying this is a bad beer, but there are definately some better pumpkins out this season. (515 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -6.6%

Pale golden tone that shows no carbonation. LIght colored for a pumpkin beer. Thin off white head recedes to a rimming in no time. Lacing is negligible. Sweet and spicy aroma. Honey and orange and cinnamon, nutmeg...a dash of ginger. Not bad. Get the orange/honey thing on the palate as well. Some pumpkin if you look real hard, but barely detectable. A lot of cinnamon on the buds as well. Spicy. Body is medium at best. Everything is pretty average with this pumpkin brew. (474 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours out an off orangish colour with mild haze, not much head though, just a ring left only a minute after the pour. Smell is mainly pumpkin spice with some malt standing behind it.

Taste...a spice blast up front, but it's not like the aroma, it's more ginger mixed with pepper, and doesn't fit the beer that well. The malt is there, along with the most vague rememberence of pumpkin, and an odd...very aluminum bite throughout though, like I imagine biting into a beer can would taste like. I do not like this.

Mouthfeel..thin, as expected for the style, but not much carbonation either. Drinkability reflects my general feeling on this beer, good idea, terrible implementation. I love a well done spice featuring beer, but this doesn't do it for me, not even close.

New Holland continues to underwhelm me... (819 characters)

Amber in color-sort of leans towards orange. OK head. Spices in the aroma.Some malt. Ok flavor-theres a slight maltiness and the spices come thru but both are hidden behind a slight metallic flavor that lasts the whole way down. Body is suited to the style. A decent enough beer. Id say to definately try it if your looking to find a better pumpkin beer. Perhaps I got an off sample-lose the slight harshness I think it could be a better,more enjoyable beer. (458 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%

This pours a decent looking beer with an O.K. looking head. It's color is a sort of a hazy golden. It doesn't look like I had imagined it would. The aroma didn't really smell like I would have expected it to as well. Pretty week on the spicey aroma. I could pick up on a little bit of ginger which isn't really the main spice you would want to emphasize in a pumpkin ale. The first sip of this beer is spiciest taste you will experience while drinking this beer. This is because that the spices are so mild that after the first drink or two your taste buds just kind of ignore or forget about them. Could definately use a little more spice. The mouthfeel is good. Nice amount of carbonation. It's an average beer. It's drinkable but I could think of many other beers I would rather be drinking. (794 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: A hazy golden with the faintest hue of peach. Thin fizzy white head with below average to poor retention. Thin lace persists, but does not cling to glass.

Smell: Singular. Ginger. You might convince me of clove or nutmeg, but mostly ginger. Absolutely no pumpkin to this nose.

Taste: Hmmm. Not what I would expect a PUMPKIN ale to taste like. Tastes more like a Budweiser with some spices. The pumpkin taste tries to creep in the aftertaste, but the wash of “fall spices” sends it back underneath the bland two row and into only the most optimistic of memories. Ginger, in a much overstated fashion, then clove and nutmeg, then cinnamon, then finally, maybe a taste of pumpkin. Disappointing. Get Smuttynose if you want to taste pumpkin in your ale. Get Bethlehem Brew Works if you want to taste Pumpkin Pie in your ale. Get this if you want to be let down and hypocritical of pumpkin and fruit/veggie ales in the future. Sad.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Thin, highly carbonated. Nowhere near as malty as it ought to have been. Not viscous enough, not balanced. Drinkable? It’s as drinkable as Natural Light. Meaning, easy to drink and somewhat difficult to enjoy. (1,186 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +17.3%

Light orange color is appropriate. Head is a little small but leaves a ring that laces a little. Very clear.

Aroma has a subtle combination of UK hops, malt, and nutmeg.

Sweetness up front is quickly replaced by a bold bitterness. The pumpkin taste only shows up for the aftertaste. This is like a really good pale ale with a little extra.

Mouthfeel is light-medium body. Smooth and lightly carbonated.

I just can't help smiling when I drink this beer. (464 characters)

From the bottle a dark orange in color with a good toasted bread colored head. Spicey aroma with notes of pine. Flavor is of subdued malt sweetness and assertive pumpkin pie spice. I admit I am a pumpkin beer fan, but I think most would find this enjoyable. (257 characters)

New Holland Ichabod Ale from New Holland Brewing Company