2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Ichabod AleNew Holland Ichabod Ale

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,009 | Reviews: 488 | Show All Ratings:
stckhndlr

2.93/5  rDev -16.8%

A- had on tap at capital ale house in Richmond VA. Very clear amber beer with a foam head made of micro bubbles. So clear I could read through it.

S- lots of pumpkin spice notes. Blends with a caramel sugar aroma. Very strong. Also getting hints of clove and nutmeg in the back half.

T- a brief flash of the pumpkin gives way to the spices and the clove. The finish ends with a bitterness that seems to be a cross between faint hops and the cloves.

M- smooth feel to it. Easy to drink. Low carbonation.

O- I love how this smells and it really shows a lot of promise when I hold it to my nose. But it disappoints from there. The clove bitterness is a turnoff. The taste just doesn't live up to the aroma. If you are looking for a pumpkin ale that drinks like a regular pale ale then this is for u. But if u prefer bigger pumpkin flavor I would try something else.

10-11-2012 19:01:37 | More by stckhndlr
Alextricity

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It's hard for me to rate this one. Difficult for me to give it an accurate review for whatever reason... I can easily understand the 78/90 discrepancy on this site between us and the "Bros".

Appearance: Really looks nice. A mildly hazy orange color. The head's creamy, but doesn't last long. Regardless, the lacing is fantastic on this beer.

Smell: Just what you'd expect from a quality pumpkin ale. The pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Some malts as well, but the pumpkin pie aroma is most dominant.

Taste/feel: This is where it gets difficult to me. It's not exploding with flavor, but it's extremely drinkable in every way. There's essentially no bitterness. The pumpkin and spice is there, but not overwhelmingly. The feel puts all of this together. Velvety smooth with a pretty low carbonation. It's as if I want more flavor, but at the same time, I don't. Tough call.

A fantastic pumpkin ale right here. Ichabod gets it right. If you want a sessionable pumpkin beer, you've got it.

10-10-2012 01:25:46 | More by Alextricity
palma

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Aroma: cinnamon, big nutmeg.

Taste. Raw pumkin. Sweet upfront. A little soapy bitterness. A good soapyness though. I dont know but i like it. Piney hop oil. Finishes very good. Lingering malt, oily. Lingering light pepper notes. Very complex for a pumkin ale. I love the finish of this beer. Dispite the complexity and sweetness, it still says BEER at the end.

Thick chewy mouthfeel. Slick. Good feel.

This is a great pumkin ale. Of of the best I've had.

10-08-2012 17:22:36 | More by palma
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

16 ounce pint - $6.25 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dispensed a clear, amber-tan body with a very slim coating of near white foam from a generous pour.

Smell: Where the taste was woefully one-note in its spice quality, the aroma promised something a bit more rounded, as, while the spicing is prevalent here, the pumpkin and malts played a fair part in the nose. Just didn't translate in the flavor, unfortunately.

Taste: Bready, scantly toasty malted barley interrupted by a big bolt of cinnamon and nutmeg cutting off the pumpkin flavor and giving it the middle digit. Nil hop character, very low bitterness. It's mainly just the spices straight through to the dry, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: More pumpkin, less spice, if you please. Hell, I'll just take less spice. One step at a time, you know?

10-07-2012 03:52:39 | More by ChainGangGuy
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a stiff thick single finger head with a nice orange coloring. This ale had almost no scent and even asked others to help me but no one could. The taste is rather interesting as you can detect the nutmeg and spice but it had a real earthy taste, almost gourdish. This makes sense as it is supposed to be brewed with actual pumpkin. I enjoyed this rather unique take on a pumpkin ale.

10-07-2012 02:25:40 | More by KYGunner
oldirtycaffrey

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

Another October rolls around, and another opportunity to try out a new pumpkin ale. First time trying New Holland Ichabod Ale and was impressed. Pours a dark orange with a foamy, inch, off-white head that is pretty much gone after a few minutes. The smell of this beer is really something -- pumpkin spice, sweet cinnamon, nutmeg all contained wrapped around a subtle smokiness. Considering the strength of the smell, the taste is very balanced. Very easy to drink. Cinnamon and pumpkin spice are probably the most notable features, but there's also a subtle mint taste towards the end. A complex brew.

10-04-2012 19:40:10 | More by oldirtycaffrey
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a coppery amber with a single finger of cream colored head that lasts for about a minute, fairly decent lacing left behind on the glass. Medium-light carbonation levels and body.

Smells of fresh pumpkin puree with a side of cinnamon/nutmeg/mint spicing and a touch of butternut squash aroma. Very savory nose, there is hardly any sweet malt aroma at all! Flavor starts out as a dusty cinnamon spice that transforms into a good solid toasted bread malt and savory pumpkin flesh combo that works well without overpowering my palate on spicing like many pumpkin ales tend to do. This one is worth trying out for a "drier approach" to the pumpkin ale concept.

10-03-2012 04:46:11 | More by WastingFreetime
Darkmagus82

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – Served a golden-orange colored brew with a one finger off white head. The head fades rather fast to leave a moderate amount of lacing

Smell – The aroma is malty with a good strong pumpkin smell. Mixed with these are pie spice aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, and some allspice. While pumpkin pie like, the aroma is actually more on the savory side with the sweet smell being on the lower side.

Taste – The taste begins with a malt backbone and a heavy sweetened pumpkin flavor. While not detected much in the nose, the sweetness is mainly brown sugar in nature. Spice flavors are upfront in the taste, but actually grown stronger more toward the middle. Cinnamon and nutmeg overpower at the start, but are then matched by some clove and allspice toward the middle and the end of the taste. These flavors bring the taste to the end leaving a medium robust spiced pumpkin pie flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was on the medium side with a higher level of carbonation. While making it somewhat more refreshing, a slight decline in the carbonation would have suited the pumpkin and spice flavors better.

Overall – Not too bad. Not overly sweet and it had a decent flavor and feel profile. Worth a try.

10-03-2012 00:25:24 | More by Darkmagus82
jbierling

I sampled this beer along with another similar choice (Blue Moon Harvest Moon) and I quite enjoyed it. The smell and taste of pumpkin was evident and had a very nice sweetness to it. It beat my expectations. The presentation of the label was great as well.

10-01-2012 05:20:39 | More by jbierling
bobutt

Maryland

2.33/5  rDev -33.8%

A-A great dark golden, autumn, almost brown color. Late forming head that quickly turn to lace and collar's the glass.

S-NUTMEG over powers everything. get a little cinnamon

T- like fall! with a strong nutmeg and spice followed by a mild pumpkin.

M- very carbonated, so much that it feels like soda water.

Overall It littler lighter then some pumpkins, so it seems more drinkable, but I really didn't like the mouthfeel or the heaviness of the nut meg. I drink it again, but I would not buy it again.

Go Buffs!

09-29-2012 16:50:00 | More by bobutt
Kooz

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Grabbed a bottle at GCT. Drawn to it by he name.

Pours to an orangish-red with a vanilla colored head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Smells of cinnamon and nutmeg; I'm not getting the pumpkin. It's a bit too heavy on he spice side in he nose.

Tastes really good--luckily, the taste is much more balanced than the smell. The cinnamon is the dominant taste, and I wish the pumpkin were more prevalent, but it is good.

It's a little thinner than I'd like. Aside from the weakness of the body, the mouthfeel is just fine. A little bite, but it is from the cinnamon not the alcohol, so it's okay.

I think there's just a little too much spice--especially cinnamon--which held this pumpkin ale back from being what it could be. Still, it's nice.

09-28-2012 02:08:01 | More by Kooz
DMXLOX22

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Picked up a single of this brew at my local spot Civera's Deli. The label definitely got my attention I must say. I'm pretty damn stoked to be diving straight into the pumpkin beer season.

Appearance: Has quite a nice blend of dark orange and brown haze. Mostly reminds me of something very common amongst pumpkin beers. Something I've seen a lot, so this didn't really intrigue me, but it was nice.

Smell: Has a strong aroma of spices which seem to be in a very fine balance. I noticed cinnamon of course, but also has a nice malt scent. Not too much pumpkin however, but its there, just in a light hint. The nutmeg is also noticeable. This is the kind of aroma that will keep me coming back again.

Taste: Has a nice balance of cinnamon and pumpkin this time. Glad it's there in a very nice balance. Also noticed a hefty addition of roasted malts. Enjoyed that thoroughly.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that is quite good.

Overall: This beer was quite a nice selection, especially for a first time. It really had all three elements of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg, all in a fair balance. The malted roasted was also a nice decision. I really enjoyed this beer while sitting in my living room, windows down, slight, chilly breeze in the air and the smell of a bonfire coming in from the outside. This is the type of beer I look for on a night like this. The one thing that can best describe this beer is "well-balanced". I will be looking for this beer again hopefully before the fall season is over. Cheers!

09-25-2012 01:41:01 | More by DMXLOX22
BlackBelt5112203

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at fridge temperature.

L – Medium amber color with a 2-finger bubbly cream-colored head. Pretty good retention with a little bit of lacing. Clear with lots and lots of bubbles.

S – Grainy malt, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon and a little bit of nutmeg. Smells nice.

T – Follows the nose well. It’s sweet pretty much all the way through with grainy malt and pumpkin and then has a nice spicy finish with cinnamon and nutmeg notes. Not as layered as a lot of the better pumpkin beers but still tasty.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with lots of carbonation, a crisp but creamy mouthfeel, and a slightly spicy and dry finish. Grainy malt and pumpkin pie spice flavors linger for a little bit.

O – This is a pretty nice pumpkin ale. It looks and smells great, but the taste is a bit too one-dimensional, and the mouthfeel is too thin for my taste in a hearty fall pumpkin beer. Still, this is a tasty and very drinkable beer. Good beer and clever name, New Holland.

09-25-2012 01:05:08 | More by BlackBelt5112203
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a light amber with a small white head, no lacing.

S: Aroma of spices, a light amber ale, biscuits

T: Huge cinnamon bomb, overdone in my opinion on the cinnamon. Light amber flavors, a little bit of biscuit, some nutmeg. A stinging carbonation. Some pumpkin flavors, but mostly spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, dry finish.

M: Stinging carbonation, slightly overdone with a light body.

O: not impressed by this one. Definitely on my long list of dont bother pumpkin ales.

09-23-2012 16:44:11 | More by alpinebryant
AmitC

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pumpkin and a lot of spices. Spice haters won't like it much.

I liked the taste.

Definitely would recommend to those who like pumpkin ales.

A good amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, which makes it a standout pumpkin ale.

Very less carbonation. Easy to drink.

Note - Pumpkin Ales are not for me. So it is a bit negatively biased review. But still scores well due to spices.

09-22-2012 03:29:21 | More by AmitC
brock146

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Good looking amber orange beer with a foamy white head that leaves lacy bubbles on the glass.

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices

T: Pumpkin pie spices and a little bit of alcohol. Good flavor that is quite drinkable IMO

M: Carbonation is medium and on point. The combination of carbonation with malts creams a sharp yet creamy feel which works out well with the flavor of the beer.

O: A notch above all of the other pumpkin beer 6 packs that I've tried. This beer is enjoyable and easy to drink. Tastes of pumpkin pie but not quite as strong as Southern Tier's Pumking. This would go well with any of the fall holidays or just as a good beer to get away from what you're used to.

09-19-2012 21:24:50 | More by brock146
StoutHunter

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Ichabod Ale a couple days ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer before, but I can't remember anything about it and since I'm on a quest to find a new favorite Pumpkin Ale I thought I would give this beer another try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date Fall 2012 release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it makes this beer stick out a little, it poured a nice hazy burnt orange color that took on more of a brighter dark orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed til the end and left a little bit of lacing. This was an Ok looking beer the color was nice but there wasn't much lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a nice pumpkin pie like aroma, with some nice cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and some authentic smelling pumpkin, the spices don't seem to overpower the pumpkin aromas. After that I get a slight malty aroma followed by a little bit of brown sugar making the aroma a little on the sweet side. The aroma was nice and dominated by pumpkin pie, just what I would expect from this style, it works for me.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be that similar to the aroma, it starts off with a weak malt flavors that is grainy and slightly bready with a low amount of sweetness. After that comes a slight bit of spice with an even lighter amount of pumpkin that is barely noticeable. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly spicy hops that impart a lighter amount of bitterness with a watery grainy and earthy hops aftertaste with just a little bit of spice. The flavor was pretty disappointing and weak with hardly any of that nice pumpkin pie aspect that I got in the aroma coming through, I'm not a fan.

M- Smooth, medium dry. watery. on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, the carbonation was good but the body was just to thin and watery.

Overall I was let down with this beer and I thought it was a below average example of a Pumpkin Ale, This beer was going in the right direction, but when it got to the flavor it went down hill fast. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but there's no way that the flavors could hold my attention, one is more then enough for me, now way I would want another one. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was full of nice pumpkin pie aromas and was pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the taste, it was pretty bland and thin without those nice pumpkin pie aspects that I got in the aroma. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just isn't a good example of the style and I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone looking for a good Pumpkin Ale. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, when it came to the taste it just didn't deliver, I'll have to pass on this beer. I was looking for a new favorite Pumpkin Ale, but it sure isn't going to be this one, better luck next time New Holland.

09-14-2012 03:48:25 | More by StoutHunter
dpodratsky3

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint glass

A: Nice bright clear orange color, with a head that starts out super frothy and leaves an initial curtain of lace on the glass, nice

S: I'm reviewing several pumpkin beers back to back, all I have to say is holy nutmeg, way too much, thats all I smell, its almost spearmint its so strong wow

T: Again, overwhelmed by nutmeg, just not for me, its so powerful thats all I taste...

M: Carbonation and body work well, I like slightly lower carb in this style to not emphasize the spices too much, body is medium to medium light, not sure if its the carb the ginger but its a little tingly

O: Meh...

09-14-2012 03:21:25 | More by dpodratsky3
ZymCity

Appearance - pours a cloudy pale orange with a thick two finger white white head (dissipates quickly with some lacing).

Smell - Hop and spice notes are present with subtle but appropriate notes of pumpkin.

Taste - hop and malt notes are suprisingly noticable given the expected presence of sweetness, spices and pumpkin. While the latter can be identified, I was left wanting just a bit more.

Mouthfeel - light body with appropriate carbonation.

Overall - when i buy a pumpkin beer i'm really not looking for a whole lot more than some entertainment. this beer was decent and it satisfied my craving on the first chilly night of september, but there aren't any aspects of this beer that could be considered exceptional.

09-11-2012 01:18:57 | More by ZymCity
chefhatt

This beer has a nice amber colored body with a nice small tanish head to it that holds its own for a while. The smell has nice pumpkin aroma alomost pie like. The taste is awesome, it has a nice roasted pumpkin flavor with the clove and some peppery notes, espcially once it warms up a little bit that is when the flavor come alive. The mouth feel is very nice, smooth and leaves a nice peppery after taste in your mouth. Overall this is a really good pumpkin beer, not the best i have had but i would say it is now in my top ten.

09-10-2012 02:02:12 | More by chefhatt
jsprain1

3.38/5  rDev -4%

A- Clear copper-orange. Head is big and off white. Falls to half a finger and holds firm there. Some lacing.
S- Meaty pumpkin, with minimal spice or anything else of note.
T- There is a bit of clove and black peppery flavor. Meaty pumpkin flavors round it out a bit but all around it's mild flavors. Just a bit of sweet brown sugar.
M- Dry finish. Lightish body for a pumpkin ale. Medium carbonation.
O- Merely a mediocre pumpkin ale for me. A bit disappointing considering my general liking of this style and brewery.

09-09-2012 01:40:41 | More by jsprain1
RodneyFarva

Spain

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

bottle poured into snifter

a: pours a copper-amber with a one finger white head that fades a bit and lazily sits

s: nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cardamon, strong pumpkin flavor. awesome.

t: similar flavors as in the nose, but a bit weaker for some reason, and a touch watery. the flavors there are excellent and balanced - pumpkin and spices.

o: overall, this is still a great pumpkin ale and probably in my top 3 or 4. it's also a lot more sessionable than some of the heavy hitters like Weyerbacher, Pumking, and Punkin that are closer to the 8-9% mark.

09-08-2012 23:57:18 | More by RodneyFarva
BigTuna

3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Ichabod is an amber orange color and pours with little head. Not much lacing to speak of.

The smell is wonderful: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, brown sugar, etc. The smell is followed nicely by a very similar taste. I got strong hints of cinnamon with undertones of nutmeg and pumpkin. And yet, Ichabod never forgets that it is a beer. The cinnamon taste accents the beer wonderfully.

Mouthfeel is where this beer gets in a little trouble. It's a bit flat and goes down almost too smoothly. It teeters on the edge of being too watery. But still, the wonderful flavor helped me overlook this slight malfunction.

Overall, I would say this is quite an underrated pumpkin ale. It does exactly what beer drinkers ask a pumpkin ale to do, no more and no less. Granted, it does taste a bit better on-tap than from the bottle, so if you have the opportunity to try this on draft, go for it. I'm usually not a huge fan of NH, but I have to say they pull this off well.

09-07-2012 13:46:37 | More by BigTuna
thecheapies

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Another bottle o'pumpkin beer for the season.

Caramelly-red amber color with a beige top--small, but firm as a ring. Very hazy, and it gives it a nice glow.

Heavy cinnamon nose. Light nutmeg spice and hints of pumpkin, like roasted pumpkin seeds. Toffee and dusty spices.

Toasted malts are rich and semi-bittering. Cinnamon is very prevalent. Vegetable-like flavors of pumpkin and squash and a bit of candied orange. Vanilla shows up in the finish mixed with the pumpkin/vegetable quality which combines to be low in sweetness. More cinnamon pushes through, as well.

Medium carbonation. Medium-to-light body. Very quaffable. Easy to get down.

Nice stab by New Holland. Still pushed around by the spice rack. Yet, better than the average. Probably because it doesn't fault in some of the other ways pumpkin beers falter (too sweet, no pumpkin, etc.)

08-27-2012 04:12:12 | More by thecheapies
theecaleb

Alaska

3.8/5  rDev +8%

A. Very light, golden blonde. Very thick, cream color head. Great lacing.

S. Nothing fancy, light scent pumpkin, and spices.

T. Good, light taste of pumpkin pie and spices but not overwhelming.

M. Creamy, sweet, malty.

O. Very enjoyable pumpkin ale, something you could drink more than one of. I would recommend this beer to a friend.

08-25-2012 23:00:20 | More by theecaleb