New Holland Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Ichabod AleNew Holland Ichabod Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Ichabod Ale Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a nice amber w/ a fairly weak sliver of a head. Head quickly disappears to almost nothing. Very clear looking beer, you can see right through it. Very little carbonation or lacing. Nose is that of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, malt, hops. Nutmeg and cinnamon out in front. I wish more pumpkin was there. Taste is slightly different, with cinnamon and pumpkin coming to the front, while everything else takes a step back. Feel is fairly malty, w/ a slight hop bite in the background. This is not my favorite pumpkin ale, but it's a decent one to pick up if you haven't tried it. Cheers!

jayhawk73, Aug 19, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Bold, amber hue with a good filtered transparency.

Aroma: Good malty aroma with strong cinnamon and nutmeg spice. Not very prominent pumpkin aroma for which I was hoping. There is a nice spicy hop note in the nose that I think pairs well with the pumpkin and spice makeup.

Taste: Spices overshadow the pumpkin flavor, Cinnamon being the strongest flavor. the hoppy bitterness in the finish is nice for a festive ale of this nature.

Mouthfeel: Pretty normal for an ale (i've been drinking a lot of porters and brown ales lately though, so I'm skewed...)

Overall I thought it was a pretty fair representation of a pumpkin ale. I had heard really good things about it and had this beer recommended to me by co-workers and colleagues but I'm not particularly impressed. I have however a fan of other New Holland brews like the Dragon's Milk.

hophead5588, Aug 18, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

I'm a huge pumpkin beer fan, by far my favorite seasonal.

This beer had a powerful aroma of the fall, but only a light taste of pumpkin and spice, the most prevalent was cinnamon. There was a lot of cinnamon. It wasn't a bad taste, just imbalanced. It needed more pumpkin.

Light feel to the beer, just a bit of harshness from the cinnamon.

Worth trying if you're a pumpkin beer fan. If you aren't, it's hit or miss.

vrushing88, Jun 24, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured out the lightest of the three with a hazy orange tinted amber color and a nice soft off white head that reached a height of around an inch or so before it settled down with some nice lacing on the side that really just surprised me with how well it hung in there to be honest. Really quite the solid look. Nice aroma of pumpkin spice, hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, all the usual characters here with a touch of a west coast hop flair to it, especially as it warms. Crisp and super clean flavor here. Starts with a touch of a light malt note and then swoops in with a big hit of cinnamon and nutmeg which dries out the palate very nicely. Very even consistency I have to admit as it comes together very nice. Light drying of palate leaves a touch of light spice and the lightest hint of hops on the back of the tongue. Super drinkable, in fact out of the whole night I enjoyed this one the most out of all of them.

mikesgroove, May 12, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Notes from Fall 2010

Pours clear amber with one finger of head and nice slow rising carbonation.

Smell is pretty subtle, some nutmeg and a slight amount of pumpkin coming through, but not much.

Tastes of pumpkin and a bit of brown sugar. Some drying spice notes on the finish. Pretty good,but that's about it.

Has a lihgt/medium body with good carbonation; slight lingering bitterness, mostly from the spices.

Not bad, but the spices seem to hurt drinkability in this case. Nothing I would want more of.

warnerry, May 02, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

A-Amber...redish orange.

S-I smell spices initially...cinnamon, ginger, cloves, earthiness, some pumpkin

T-the spices and pumpkin (in the background) comes through...the aromas are present...but...it just misses the mark...taste is not bad...but not great either...something just doesn't mesh

M-medium body and carbonation

D-I could see myself having a couple...but not if a better pumpkin ale were about...I am glad I tried it and would drink it again.

crashdavisinoh, Apr 19, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

New Holland Ichabod Ale 12/18/10

A. Aggressive pour yields almost no head. A little bit of foam is in the middle of the glass. It's a pretty orange color.

S. Smells good, I get cinnamon right off the bat, along with some yeastiness. Can't put my finger on it but it smells "clean" and overall spicy.

T. Tastes very clean, none of the spices are too overpowering. Tastes like a middle of the road pumpkin ale. Finishes nice and clean also. Finish is a little bitter, and may have a bit of pumpkin also.

M. Light carbonation and light body.

D. Very drinkable if you're in the mood for such a thing. Clean finish contributes to drinkability.

devilishprune, Mar 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured once into a pint glass and drank straight from the bottle

The look of this one is a nice dark reddish brown with a ring of foam around the glass.

The smell of this one was so e spices such as nutmeg, pumpkin spice, and possibly some Ginger or other spice with a fall/ winter flavor.

The taste of this one was actual slightly hoppy at first with a kick of pumpkin spices and nutmeg that surprisingly tasted pretty damn good for a pumpkin ale. I actually prefer this beer in the fall over anything else.

The mouthfeel of this is a nice crisp pumpkin pie like feeling that I enjoyed greatly. A big step up from other pumpkin ales as the spices normally get to me.

Overall this is my fall brew of choice and I pickup multiple cases of this when it comes out on the shelves. A fall seasonal as great as the artwork that graces it's box.

IchabodcraneIpa, Mar 22, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured In: Snifter
Purchased At: Cannery Wine & Spirits (Sun Prairie, WI)

Appearance: The pour is an amber and mahogany color with very little head sitting on top. The beer is slightly effervescent. After giving the beer a few whirls in my glass I'm left with some streaks of lace.

Smell: I first had a bottle of this about 5 months ago and I feel like the spice didn't come out as much, but it could be my imagination. The nose brings out clove, allspice and nutmeg. The pumpkin doesn't shine out in the nose, but it's present along with some lightly sweetened caramel malt.

Taste: The beginning of the tasting starts out rather bland. Some slightly sweet malt comes out, but to be honest I find it a bit watery. The spice does start to come out through in the middle of the tasting and leads it out. More of the usual suspects including clove, nutmeg, allspice and a bit o' cinnamon. The beer finishes very nicely, unfortunately the start is disappointing for me.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied, well carbonated.

Drinkability: I'm still on a quest to try all sorts of different pumpkin beers. I'm not sure this one will end up in my crate next year, but I'm sure it'll be had again.

Ek0nomik, Mar 03, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From fall brew ranking notes (2010): Pour produced a yellow-amber body with a quick diminishing head. The aroma is funky, reminiscent of cooked squash. The palate is on the flat side with light carbonation. Medium bodied. The overall flavor really isn't all that good, slightly metallic with spice that lingers and warms for a bit.

CuriousMonk, Feb 10, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

A- Cloudy dark amber topped with a one finger off white head. Head falls slowly to a ring and leaves lots of spotty lace on the glass.

S- nice mix of malt and allspice, but not much else.

T- Flavor slowly builds to a climax of allspice, cinnamon, and pumpkin. Finish is dry with a mix of the flavors as a lingering aftertaste.

M- A little less than medium in body, and decently carbonated.

D- Easy to get one down, not sure I'd want to try to finish a lot of these on any one given night. The 5.5% ABV isn't the problem just the uneven taste, as it warms up.

Not the best pumpkin beer I've had but not the worst either.

ToddT, Jan 22, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

A-Pours a a medium amber color with two fingers of frothy, white head.

S-Smells of nutmeg and some allspice with a little bit of cloves and some light malt and a faint hint of pumpkin.

T-A bit of spice: nutmeg and allspice with some cinnamon, some light malt, a faint earthy hop character, and some pumpkin.

M-Remarkably not thin; this is the problem I've run into with every other pumpkin I've tried. Medium bodied with low carbonation and a crisp, mildly grainy finish.

D-Wow this has to be the first pumpkin beer that I've had that the spice doesn't completely overwhelm the rest of the beer. This is by far the easiest drinking pumpkin beer yet.

samie85, Dec 31, 2010
3.53/5  rDev 0%

A - This pours a transparent copper color. It has a nice off-white head. The head left good lacing on the glass. There is some carbonation bubbles present.

S - It smells of cinnamon and nutmeg. There is also some sweet malts and a touch of hops.

T - The flavor is pretty sweet, and it has some spices like cinnamon and clove. The finish is a bit dry, and has some cinnamon notes.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It is very creamy and goes down easy.

D - The drinkability is pretty good. I goes down easy and I think it's a good fall beer. I think this would be a good one to have with a big slice of pumpkin pie.

JizackFH, Dec 26, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle not dated

New Holland Ichabod Ale is dirty amber in color with a small off-white head that left limited lacing. The smell is of very light spices - cinnamon and ginger. Taste matches the nose however, is a little more assertive. Nutmeg is the dominate spice in the flavor with no bitterness to speak of. The body/mouth feel is to the lighter medium side with the right amount of carbonation.

I should mention I am not a fan of Pumpkin Ales. Ichabod was purchased as part of a New Holland variety pack so I thought I would give-it-a-go. Ichabod is not a bad Pumpkin Ale; I just wish the flavor was richer.

bushbeer75, Dec 19, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer use to be one of my fall time favorites.

However, when I paired it up against other pumpkin ales I realized that this brew lacks in comparison. I would still drink this beer and not complain one bit. It is a dark amber in color and offer spices of the fall time season. The flavor is simple and not overly complex.

I would recommend this to just about anyone.

LanceW, Dec 07, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -46.2%

12 oz bottle, pours a deep reddish caramel color.

It smells like the forgot the cinnamon and instead got a load of pickling spice. Also some pumpkin and nutmeg.

It tastes more like cinnamon, cinnamon water. It was not a ver good beer, very watery. New Holland failed me here.

crossovert, Dec 01, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Really, this is my first "pumpkin" ale. At this point i'm not impressed. There are some nice cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin smells. And tastes i suppose, but i don't think this is a style for me.
Good beer overall, solid offering. just not something for me.

davesway10, Nov 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

My first pumpkin ale, or pumpkin beer of any sort. I was a little hesitant at first to try it, but It really surprised me.

I poured it into a glass mug, and got about a finger, and a half of a thick tan foam. It smells bready, with a slight pumpkin scent. It has low carbonation. The taste was very good. It was a good medium bodied ale, slight bitter, with just a faint taste of pumpkin.

If I could change it, I would add a bit more pumpkin flavor. Very drinkable.

TCMike, Nov 28, 2010

A - Holly cow! The carbonation pulled off at least 3 inches and almost over the rim of my glass! My gawd! Color is that of a pumpkin orange with a bit of amber.

S - well the smell being the most impressive was chalk full of spies: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, and all spice.

T - It's a bit lacking and sort of bitter but it does play well with the spices making it enjoyable. Also considering its the end of Pumpkin beers season means this beer kept well. Nice.

M - Very light as I type it's almost gone.

D - Well the season is over and I will have to seek more out next year. Pretty drinkable pumpkin ale!

DrDemento456, Nov 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

This was the second New Holland beer I've had and I'm very impressed with both this and The Poet. I love fall beers and this is now one of my favorites and quite possibly my favorite Pumpkin Ale. The balance between the Pumpkin and spices is right on. Very satisfying.

Sampled during the Winter 2010 tasting, brought by Timmy.

erikdwallace, Nov 23, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

I had this beer on November 10, 2010 from a rotating seasonal tap at Brendan's in Louisville, Kentucky.

Ichabod poured a golden-orange-brown color with a small, but creamy head that sheeted the glass.

The nose was bland and beery and offered only a faint hint of pumpkin.

The flavor was bready with just a hint of pumpkin and spice, maybe some cinnamon and clove, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. It finished just slightly dry with a hint of something like spice.

It was medium-bodied with a huge, creamy mouthfeel and proper carbonation.

This was the first time I've been disappointed by New Holland Brewing Co. They are one of my top 5 favorite American breweries and have never let me down until now. The beer wasn't bad, there just wasn't enough pumpkin spice character and New Holland rarely lacks character. One was enough for me.

johncampbell, Nov 14, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

My very first pumpkin ale received as an extra in a trade. Pours a nice orange color with a little head. Light lacing. Smells just like a pumpkin and tastes a little like a pumpkin with that familiar beer taste afterwards. Like I said this was my first pumpkin beer so I can't really compare to others.

BigB415, Nov 14, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a hazy, copper/brown color. One inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pumpkin, spice (nutmeg and cinnamon), and hops. Fits the style of a Pumpkin Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, pumpkin, spice, and slight pale malt. Overall, good blend, appearance, and aroma. More strongly a spiced beer than a pumpkin, but still good.

Tone, Nov 08, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: Tons of great foam. Thick, tan foam. Very thick but carbonated as well. Ichabod Ale has a nice dark brown color as well with a red-amber tint. Not unique, but it stacks up at least as well as other premiere beers.

Smell: Tons of nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, and some spicy hops as well. Some brown sugar here as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Unlike other fall beers, this stuff actually does really taste like pumpkin (granted it's the second pumpkin ale I've tried). More nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon that balances with the spicy hops and pumpkin-y malt. Good smoothness as well.

Drinkability: Extremely enjoyable with some pumpkin muffins and seeds.

Overall: Awesome.

tjsdomer2, Nov 03, 2010

A Halloween tradition - pumpkin beer while giving out trick-or-treat candy. This beer was a bit of a letdown. Prominent allspice from start to finish, but the pumpkin was pretty much MIA. Fairly thin body and a little watery at the finish. Lacks festivity.

Brent, Nov 01, 2010