New Holland Imperial Hatter - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Imperial HatterNew Holland Imperial Hatter

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SupaCelt on 07-20-2005)
Reviews by LordAdmNelson:
3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Overall not a terrible beer, but not that great in my opinion either. Looks nice though with a deep oak brown color with moderate white head. Nose is pretty hoppy, not overly sweet--but the flavor is pretty sweet. There's a hoppy kick to it, which flows right into a sweet cake-y malt backbone. I'm not crazy about it. Too sweet, and the hops are pretty muted. Decent drinkability, if only in that the ABV is decently masked. I'd pass it up for other available options that are better.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Mad Hatter was the very first IPA I ever had back home,it was the first beer where the aromas stood out and led me down the path of becoming a hophead...enough of that shite.Poured into a impy nonic a deep bronze with a large clingy white head that settles oh so slowly,leaving multiple rows of lace behind.A mix of resiny hop and caramel malt in the nose with the hop profile winning out,flavors are "green"with hops,leafy and herbal with some citrus notes, a biscuit base holds up well to the onslaught.Its nice with more of a herbal "green" hop profile,its not as in your face as many wich might be a good thing,I enjoyed it.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz. bottle from the 2010 vintage.

A: Pours a pretty clear ruby-copper into a medium-sized wine glass. A 3/4 off-white head is here and gone as soon as it came. The lacing is thin and stretchy. Lots of tiny bubbles move quickly through the beer.

S: The first whiff is a little weak. I'm not getting all that much aroma out of this one, and what I do is mostly unconcentrated floral and earth hop smell. It actually smells a little watery. I cannot detect alcohol in there, but that shouldn't be too surprising because I do not smell much else, either. There are ever-so-slight citrus aromas coming into my nose.

T: It has a pretty different fruit character in the taste than other DIPAs I've tried; I'm sensing a lot of plum on my palate. That is odd. The hops lend an earthy-floral note to the flavor, but really do not have any citrus overtones to them. The alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor than the smell. One more thing, and this is something that I've noticed from the Mad Hatter IPA as well. The finish has a little bit of a salty flavor to me, and reminds me of green olives. I like green olives, but not necessarily in my beer. I am pretty confused about this beer, actually. I do like the taste, but it's different enough than what I am used to from a DIPA that I'm not really sure what to think.

M: This beer has a pretty big feel, but a lot of that is from the high level of carbonation that it carries. I'll say it is a little overcarbonated. It does have a good puckering sensation from the bittering hops.

D: I would not turn down one of these if I was offered one by a friendly person in a social setting, but I also will not seek it out again. There are too many better DIPAs that I can get my hands on that I would choose over this.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked up a bottle while I was in Michigan for a wedding and didn't notice it was a 2011 vintage, so it's 6 to 18 months old at this point.

This is a bright and clear, medium copper colored beer with a persistant light tan head. There is a tiny stream of bubble rising from just the center of the glass, obviously a light carbonation.

Moderate Pineapple and citrus hops aroma and a light alcohol aroma that come together in an almost cidery way. There is also malt sweetness and a slight resinous note in the back. There is nothing in the way of fermentation aromas. Overal it doesn't have the strength nor depth of hop aromas I'd expected until I realized that it had some age on it.

The hop flavors are also muted like in the aroma only that the moderate citrus and pine are the stronger flavors with pineapple playing a supporting role along with a malt sweetness. There is a moderately-high hops bitterness and a smooth alcohol note leading the way to an semi-dry finish with a lingering bitterness.

It has a medium body and a moderately-light carbonation with a moderate alcohol heat. Very smooth with no astringency.

This is drinking like an aggressively hop American Barley Wine and is still an enjoyable beer. I'd look for a fresh vintage to get agressive hops characters but woun't shy away from one with some age on it is still a great beer.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

A: a gorgeous golden amber, no visible carbonation, a thin ring of foam that leaves decent lacing.

S: delicious citrusy hops sizzle the nostrils. if you like IPAs, this is the beer for you.

T: burst of citrus flavor and hops that discretely fades to nothing. splendid flavors though!

MF/D: sizzle of carbonation that recedes quickly, one of the smoothest IPAs down the throat ive had. a bitterness remains on the back of the tongue following each sip.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Rocky dense head, reddish brass color.

SMELL: Spearmint, pine sap, grapefruit rid, pipe tobacco, pineapple, mango, cake batter, booze soaked golden raisins.

TASTE: Bitter, pungent, grassy, citric, minty, biscuity, yeast, hint of caramel, ripe plum, mango, leafy, dry bitter finish.

Rich with layers of hop flavor, sip by sip I understand and pick this beer a part a little bit more. Hops don't completely devastate the palate which is a good thing. Very enjoyable.

Twenty-two ounce bomber pours a mostly clear, orange/amber body with a two finger beige head that has some legs. Plenty of creamy and sticky lace hangs on the glass.

Aroma is grassy hops with a grapefruit edge. A hint of toasted caramel lurks beneath.

Mouthfeel has medium carbonation and body.

Taste has a dominant grassy hop bitterness with a grapefruit edginess. So grassy, it borders on the verge of cat urine, a note I've previously encountered only in Bells Hop Slam. Alcohol is well hidden. Finishes with a grapefruit rind dry bitterness.

A bit too much grassiness in the hop profile for my taste. Still, a very desirable DIPA that I will buy again.

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 1 inch head, low carbonation, copper in color, cloudy

Smell: pine, bread, and caramel

Taste: pine, bread, caramel and light grapefruit

Mouthfeel: medium body, sweet start with bitter middle and dry bitter end, medium carbonation

Overall: Wow this beer gets bitter in a hurry. This is tasty, but a sipper. I do like the way the bready taste interacts with the pine. That said, I enjoyed regular Mad Hatter much more.

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

On tap at the brewery in Holland. A nice, clear red pour with a thin lacy head. The aroma has the nice piney effervescence of cascade (?), but is not overpowering. The taste matches up: tasty, resiny hops without the distraction of complex malt. This us probably a bit hoppy for a session beer, but I will be daydreaming about these hops for days.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage, thanks to my buddy for this gift!

Pours a quite dark and muddy brown with a very small white head with very little lacing. Nose is almost like a barleywine, it's quite malty and sweet with more of an earthy/grassy hop note, but it's subtle - based on the nose this isn't a hop bomb, in fact I almost get some chocolate on the nose.

Taste brings it much more into the IIPA range, it's quite sharp, bitter and astringent. The malt is there and it's quite sweet, almost like 90min IPA or even, as I said earlier, like a heavy barleywine. Mouthfeel is a bit thick and syrupy, somewhat low carbonation and a slightly astringent finish.

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a nice copper / amber color. Not much head, but decent lacing down the glass. Large hoppy nose to this, decent mouthfeel with a lingering effect. The ABV is definitely present in this. Probably not a session beer by any means, although I do prefer the regular Mad Hatter for that. Worth trying, but maybe only once.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.89/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into tulip; dark hazy orange/amber with a medium fizzy white head that leaves nice lacing. Smell is piney hops with some citrusey hops underneath. Taste is similar; sweet malt melding into piney bitter hops which demolish everything else. Some sweeter citrusey hops try and break through, but don't accomplish much besides a muted presence in the aftertaste, alongside some yeasty notes. Complexity develops as it warms. Overall this is a great bitter DIPA, but I'd prefer it a bit more citrusey.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Whoa, this one poured a little darker than I envisioned, brown and dark red, little head, good retention though. Aroma, not much in terms of hops noticed here, just beer.

Taste, caramel, then sweet, and finally some hops became appreciable. I will say that this hid the alcohol quite well relatively speaking, and it didn't have that heavy wood feel on the palate like a lot of dipas will when they don't have the aggressive hopping. Seemed to have the bitterness of a dipa, but the hopping of a regular ipa, and the dry hopping of neither.

A pretty balanced and somewhat easy to drink beer, it was an extra at DLD, and I'm thankful for that, but nothing to search out either. Wouldn't turn it down if available, but wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled served in a weizen glass

A - Clear amber, golden, with a 2 finger white fluffy head with good retention and nice sticky lacing.

S - Strong grapefruit and pine hoppy notes, a bit of booze and a nice touch of caramel malts.

T - A fairly good dry hopped imperial IPA though a little heavy on the grapefruit/citrus notes, would love a bit more complexity and some more malt or booze notes would be nice to balance things out. Otherwise a decent but not necessarily standout DIPA.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O - Pretty good, i don't mind drinking this one, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it after the first try.

New Holland Imperial Hatter from New Holland Brewing Company