New Holland Imperial Hatter - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Imperial HatterNew Holland Imperial Hatter

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: SupaCelt on 07-20-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Imperial Hatter Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Had two of these on tap at the brew pub in downtown Holland yesterday. Picked up a 4 pack to enjoy later. Just poured a 2013 vintage into a tulip.

Hazy, deep, amber colored body with a two-finger tan head. Thick head that is somewhat creamy and lines the glass with excellent retention.

Lighter aroma on the bottle that I expected. Citrus and piney hops that are backed by some earthy and slightly sweet malt.

I really dig the flavor of this brew. It's hoppy, but not in your face. Pine and light citrus hops up front, with a malt backbone that does not get overly sweet - more on the bready malt side. Nice blend overall.

Fairly thick on the mouthfeel, but not too heavy and relatively drinkable. Overall, I would recommend and could enjoy this regularly. Excellent beer.

4.74/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 vintage

A- big enough tulip for a big enough head. Glowing murky reddish orange body topped by a beautiful bubbling beige monstrosity that looks like creamy foamed liquid hop saliva. Righteous swirly lace. Under the cap it says "lust". Very fitting indeed.

S- the aroma profile here fits my ideal for a double ipa: 1) a background of marshmallowy vanilla cookie toffee malt and 2) resinous earthy deeply musky hops. Everything else from there can be variable. Luckily, this one is on the outer space positive end of the spectrum. Earthy damp and mushroomy, sweet sugar cookie, beer saturated grapefruit and a red meaty quality. Alcoholic fumes with undertones of mango and passion fruit.

T- that whole ideal standard that I mentioned in the aroma translates well here. A little drier and less sweet than led to believe but that's perfect as too much sweetness can ruin my day. Ballsy hop character laid over that marshmallow toffee cookie malt. White grapefruit, pineapple, bitter orange, like leaves, pine, glory. Finishes long and bitter with tingling alpha acids.

MF- softly carbonated and succulent bodied with a slipperiness on the palate that goes on forever along with the impression of tannic dryness. This beer feels oak aged.

D- bomb ass imperial with old cracked out cracky on the label. Very pleased with this one. I give it a 10 out of 6.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Until trying Imperial Hatter I had never had an IPA that was specifically marketed as aged by the brewery and sold in that fashion. That being said I may judge this beer too harshly because I almost feel as if I was expecting something other than what this beer delivered, while at the same time having no idea what to really expect other than that over time the bitterness of hops mellows and in some cases becomes more fruity and sweet.

In the case of Imperial Hatter I feel like I got a taste that was very much a dark fruit sensation. Specifically I though of raisins. There was a pungent taste that was unexpectedly pleasing and even now I am honestly not truly sure what my impressions of the beer should be.

Based upon the notes I have in front of me I would say that I did enjoy this beer, however I certainly need more experience with ages ales.

I gave it a personal score of 7.8/10

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: A nice transparent amber color, a little finger of off white head at the top the left quickly, not to much lacing.

S: Very hoppy nose, grapefruit is very present, a slight hint of honey as well.

T: The taste is almost just like the nose, very bitter up front from the hops, little bit of sweetness and the booze is present.

M:Medium bodied, with a sticky backbone, a good amount of carbonation.

O: Not a bad IPA, glad I was able to try it at least once, nothing wild, refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%