Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

"Reimagined" for 2015. ABV increased to 7.0%. IBU's at 55. Also a slightly different hop profile, Citra, Michigan grown Cascade, and Centennial hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 768 | Hads: 1,976
1.92/5  rDev -49.7%

12 oz bottle no expiration date.

Very disappointing considering expectations after reading other reviews. This is basically bitter seltzer water. Good amber brown color and firm two inch foam. The looks are the best part.

No aroma. Initially a very slight sour lager like feel quickly turning bitter. No variation in the bitter, a tiny bit of grapefruit but really nothing of interest only bitter (I say that as one who looks for XIPAs every chance I get). Lots of light bubbles like drinking seltzer. No balancing malt or other flavor for the bitterness. Very light mouth feel like water.

All in all disappointing. Makes me wish there was an expiration date on the bottles then I could blame things on the age.

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

Unimpressive. Average bitter hop taste. No fruit or floral notes to be had. If you are looking for more than your average IPA, this is not the beer for you. Light body. Copper color. Dry finish. This is the first beer from this brewery that I'm not totally impressed with. Can't like them all I suppose.

2.37/5  rDev -38%

Purchased from 3 Corners Liquor in Medford, MN. Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber body with a thin white head that caps. Aroma is dominated by citrusy hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Flavor is nothing but green apple sourness. This might just be one bad bottle out of many, but consistency counts in my book.

Paid $8.99 for a 6 pack.

This is the super-hoppy IPA that so many people complain about. Enormous alpha content, highly acidic and tongue burning. I was very dissappointed in this brew. As the IPA saga rolls on, my palate leans more and more towards a good malt balance with the mind-numbing hops. See Avery's IPA for a classic example. I can detect little malt in this brew however. The mouthfeel is "stinging".

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Dark and hazy in the pint glass. Pour with a nice head to start. Carbonation ended pretty quick

Smell: Smell was ok. I was expecting more hops

Taste: unfortunately I was really disappointed. I will not order this on cask again.

Mouth fell: OK. I wish it had more body or a crisper IPA finish

Drinkability: Not for me.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

A It's a nice looking beer in the glass. It is a rudy amber color and poured to a 2 finger head which lowly dissapeared. Really nice lacing aroung the glass. Good Appearance : )

S Average smell for an IPA. I would like to have more hop floral aroma. I get a mild hop floral with bread and a slight spice. Nothing impressive here.

T There is a very sharp metallic hop taste that takes any enjoyment from this beer. Like a friend of mine said best it taste like your sucking on the bottle cap. Not enjoyable at all. : (

M Nothing bad or good to say a very average feel it has a nice carbination to the beer. The feel of the beer has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want another.

D With so many options out there for an IPA why waste your time here??? Spend a little more and get some Bell's two hearted or a Dogfish 60 or heck anything but this very dissapointed

2.48/5  rDev -35.1%

Had not had this IPA in a while and wanted to give another try. Picked up a bottle with some friends in G.R. , MI.
A = This about the best thing I thought the beer had going for it.. unfortunately. Looked nice pouring, good clear golden color with a pretty thin white head. Did not lac the glass well at all.
S = All bitterness. No citrus, floral notes.
T = Metalic and bitter. Some floral flavorings came through.
M = Thin. Left a bit early after the beer was swallowed.
O = For the host of great MI IPA'S out there this one did nothing to make me want to buy it again. I was not impressed (have liked NH brews typically) and though I'll check out some other NH brews this one won't be one of them.

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

This pours a deep amber. Rapidly dissipating surface foam. Low carbonation with fine bubble. Mild lacing present.

Mostly hops with a touch of pine and florals.

Lacks depth and complexity. Semi-dry. Strong suit - assertive hops, but not excessive by any means. Almost no discernible malt.

Smooth, clean with a slight oily finish.

A mildly refreshing IPA that drinks easily, but lacks character.

My review appears to be lower than most here. Though the bottle states it is fresh I suspect perhaps this has gone a little south.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a three finger off-white head that fades to a thin layer leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy piney nose. Starts almost sweet but like any IPA the hops come rolling in making a hoppy finish with a lingering bitter after taste. $1.79 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In.

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer was, to me, a standard IPA. Nothing great, nothing bad.

The beer poured nicely into my glass. Very clear, almost too clear and very light in color for an IPA. Overfiltered? This might explain the lack of flavor to this beer. The beer does have good hop tartness, some citrus flavor, but no hop flavor. Also, no real smell to this beer that I could detect.

Average IPA (with a bad label)

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

12 oz bottle opens with a hiss pours a hazy golden amber. A slim layer of white head is there for a minute a touch of splotchy lacing.

smell is slightly malty with a moderate hop presence. not much to the smell a bit on the thin side.

taste is spot on with the smell. I get a slight citrusy bitterness before the malts come in but other than that im not getting much off of this. frankly I am underwhelmed.

At this point ive pushed myself through half the glass each sip is kinda rough to get through. a bitterness lingers on the palate and not in the way that is desirable.

overall good attempt but there are so many other options out there.

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

Bought a bottle at the brewery in Holland in early October '11 and drank it the next day, so I assume it was fresh. Maybe a bad batch, I don't know, but this beer was not enjoyable. I know and understand IPAs, so I'm not just mistaking the style for something I don't like. Normal appearance, big foamy head, smells not too bad, but a bit piney. Then the taste: pine, pine, more pine, Pine Sol maybe, Listerine, grapefruit twang. That's it. Three dimensions: pine, astringent (or floor cleaner), and grapefruit. Hard to get it down. I only drank it because it was a beer after all, so I could not pour it out. Sorry I will never buy this again. I am a fan of New Holland, too. They make some fantastic beers (and great whiskeys) and I love the brewpub in Holland. So, what went wrong here?

2.69/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle picked up at Tasty Beverage Co. in Raleigh, NC.

A - Crystal clear copper, thin off-white head, lots of lace

S - Grassy, earthy hops. Not much else

T - Bitter, metallic hops. Slight citrus and low malt presence. Not a whole lot else

M - Thin, light bodied, crisp and refreshing. High carbonation.

O - Incredibly one dimensional IPA. Aside from being really refreshing it doesnt have a lot going for it. It's like a bitter lawnmower beer.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%

12 oz. brown, non-dated bottle poured into a pint glass.

The word "to" was revealed underneath the cap. I'm guessing if you buy a case of this stuff, you can have a poetry "cap slam."
(See website for details.)

Pours a hazy/cloudy copper with a thin, off-white head and plenty of suspended sediment. Moderate lacing.

Grassy, dry-hopped aroma. Not much else going on.

Toasted biscuit flavor followed immediately by a one-dimensional hoppy bitterness that lasts. Way. Too. Long.

Not very complex or well-balanced. Could have benefited from some malt addition. Unpleasant drying finish.

Won't be bringing a six-pack of Mad Hatter to the next IPA tea party.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%

I have been meaning to try this for a while now. I finally threw one in a mixed 6 pack.

A- Average IPA burnt orange color with deep yellow highlights. Nice white head that has strong stay and lacing.

S- A really grassy smelling take on an IPA. The first thing I thought was lemon-grass. Mostly because its like a combination of lemon juice and fresh grass.

T- Very grassy in the taste too. Slight lemon and grapefruit notes as well. What really hurts this taste for me is the finish. There is a very medicinal finish. Very strong on aspirin. It basically turned me off from this beer.

D- Due to a combination of me not being in the mood for an IPA and the aspiriny finish caused me to not finish this beer.

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

A - Clear copper with a decent, sticky tan foam and good lacing.

S - Floral grapefruit for the most part with a hint of pine.

T - Bitter yes with some piney hops, but lacks something.

M - Light in body with a decent carbonation. Watery.

D - This IPA lacks oomph or balance or something. I taste some hops but not much else. Body is similarly lacking.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On tap, man had her.
Perhaps my rating of this beer is not fair, as I have made it clear before I am not a hophead, I enjoy well hop beer, but I do not drink beer for the sake of having the bitters. I can possibly stand. And like some of the Breckenridge beers this beer falls distinctly into that category it is over hop harsh and rough

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Generally a fan of New Holland's creativity, but this bottle disappointed. A bright copper hue has an unmemorable smell. The taste crests of hops that quickly transitions into a stark caramel followed by...noting at all. Mouth is left feeling refreshed. I know others may more prefer this, but I'll be buying more dynamic IPAs in the future.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Mouthfeel: Decent for a Pale Ale, but weak for an IPA.

Taste: Good for a regular pale ale like Sierra Nevada, but too weak for an IPA.

Appearance: Decent for a pale ale like Sierra Nevada, but weak head compared to a class benchmark for IPAs such as Bells Two Hearted Ale, Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery IPA or Founders Centennial IPA.

Drinkability: Good, except it is too weak to be considered a top drawer IPA.

The reason for my harsh judgement on this beer, which I have had both in bottles and on tap, is that I have made field trips to celebrated Microbreweries very close to New Holland such as Bells in Kalamazoo and Founders in Grand Rapids. Both of these Breweries have IPAs that blow this away in hops bite, aroma, head, mouthfeel and taste.

I make a regular habit of driving from my home in the Detroit area and making day trips for a pint or two (or three!) to the local regional breweries such as Dragonmead in Warren, MI; Arcadia in Battle Creek; Founders in Grand Rapids and Kuhnhenn, also in Warren, Michigan. Hate to say it, but from what I sampled yesterday, 12/2/05 at New Holland on tap, they are what I call a "Me too" microbrewery with no beers that distinguish themselves as among the best in their respective classes. However, if you don't live within driving distance of these other microbrewery powerhouses, you might be more easily impressed.

If you look at Beer Advocate's top 100, you will find that Bells, Founders and Kuhnhenn are well represented, so I am spoiled by living in a "target rich environment" as far as craft beer is concerned.

2.81/5  rDev -26.4%

"Meh". That's my initial impression of Mad Hatter.

Copper-colored. Aroma is almost nonexistent. There's a subtle earthy smell after the pour but it quickly dissipates to nothing. Taste is similar. Overly sweet malts up front. Slightly bitter finish. If you're looking for something citrusy/fruity/piney look elsewhere. This is a very malty IPA.

The one saving grace is the low ABV. It has a nice mouth feel coupled with good carbonation. The low ABV makes it fairly drinkable but the flavor leaves so much to be desired. Too unbalanced for my taste.

OVERALL: Nothing special. Personally, when I drink an IPA, I always hope to find hints of citrus/pine. This beer offers the exact opposite: roasted, bready, caramel malts. If that's your thing, I can imagine this being an enjoyable IPA. If you're like me, you should probably look elsewhere.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

This beer has a lot of high hop taste. It also has more of a malt feel, also a higher taste. It will satisfy anyone with a bright hop taste but the malt doesn't balance it well and there isn't the pleasant sweet taste that usually comes with an IPA

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Purchased at Liquor Barn in Hamburg area of Lexington.

L: Hazy orange color, thin layer of lacy head
S: Very floral, grapefruit smell, earthy
T: Matched the nose, but it was a little dry. Grapefruit was prominent with a rough malty finish.
F: Lacy finish, very malty.

A little concerned about the freshness...hard to make out, but I believe the bottle code is I173. Either way, it was not the most pleasant IPA I've had recently.

2.84/5  rDev -25.7%

A- Pours a reddish amber with a touch of off-white head.

S- The hoppy aromas are backed by a big malt backbone. In fact, the malt presence is so high, that it threatens to overwhelm the hops, although it never does. Still, it gives the beer an almost English IPA feel. The hop aromas don't seem as piney or citrusy as they are in most American IPA's either; they're more fruity and earthy. Combined with the strong caramel from the malt, they give the beer a unique smell.

T- This beer is bone dry from head to toe. Any sweetness that may have been hinted at from the smell is nowhere to be found. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of flavor, period. There's no discernible malt flavor, and the hops add a bit of woody earthiness, but aside from that, there's not much. This beer really only hits at the back of the tongue with an assertive bitterness. This seems to be a classic example of too much hop bitterness and not enough flavor.

M- Fairly thin with moderate carbonation.

D- Low ABV and thin body should make for a fairly drinkable beer, but the lack of flavor doesn't lend itself to multiple pints.

This beer is a bit of an enigma. It has a very pleasant aroma that hints at a unique and enjoyable beer, but the flavor just falls flat. I don't think this beer is that old, as I believe I got it only about a week after it arrived at the store and it's only been sitting in my fridge for about a week. Maybe I just don't get it. Anyway, given the lack of flavor, I can't recommend this offering from New Holland. I hope the Dragon's Milk is better.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Nothing exciting here. Pours amber, slightly cloudy, small head.
Smell is a little piney, but not alot else.
Taste is pretty bland for the stlye. Hops punch seems singular, maybe cascade?
Mouth feel is watery and low carbonation with small bubbles.
I probably won't get this again, not hard to drink, but not very rewarding either. Nothing wrong here, just no character.

2.86/5  rDev -25.1%

Bottle poured into a standard shaker pint glass. Never had anything by New Holland before, but have had good experiences with a lot of Michigan IPA's, so interested to see how this goes. No freshness information provided on the bottle, so I am forced to assume that this is "fresh" and will review it as such. I really wish more breweries would provide this information on the label...

A: A huge thick lively white head sits on top of a hazy-golden-orange beer. I think I may have given this guy too-vigorous of a pour.

S: I pick up a moderate amount of lemon and some earthy tones in the nose. The aroma is present but not potent. Somewhat underwhelming.

T: The taste is kind of *muddled* here, this beer can't seem to decide if it wants to be an east coast IPA, or a west-coast hop bomb with that dry grapefruit/lemon/citrus flavor. The end result is that it's neither. My preference, personally, is towards the West Coast style, and this has a distinct lemon presence, but there's very little other grapefruit/citrus presence here. The finish isn't unpleasant, but it's not that punchy dry hop finish that I like in my IPA's. Caramel malts are visible in the middle and end of the taste, but lack that cotton-candy sweetness found in East Coasters.

I fear that this bottle may not be fresh... but again, with no freshness date, I'm left with no option but to assume that it is.

M: Carbonation is lively, but this beer doesn't finish nearly as *dry* as I like my IPA to finish.

D: Below average. For free? I'd have one or two of these again without much complaint. But if I'm paying? I don't feel much of any need to revisit this again on my own dime.

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company