New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,840 | Reviews: 753
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Another thanks to dzyneguru. Poured into 14oz glass. Poured a typical, but still attractive, orangeish copper color with just over an inch of off-white head that had moderate retention and lacing.

The aroma was an average IPA scent, mostly piney hops with some malt sweetness blended in. The taste was mostly the pine hops with a touch of citrus at the back, clinging to the base malt.

The body was a little thinner than I like in an IPA, but still decent. Drinkability was pretty good, you could drink several of this in a row.

Overall, a decent beer, and if it were available locally I'd have it in my regular mix. Worth a shot if you see it.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this in Columbia, PA on 2010-03-27

A - Mahogany with a 1-finger tan head

S - Fress citrus, fruit and grass

T - Mild grapefruit, roasted malt with a bit of caramel are balanced with the aggressive hop bitterness leaving a pleasant aftertaste.

M - Light-medium body with medium-high carbonation

D - Refreshing with a crisp finish.

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Another great IPA from the man, the myth, the AleWatcher - thanks Jeff!

Pours hazy dark copper, lots of nice effervescence, and a thin off-white head. Some thin lacing as well.

Nose is kind of restrained; prickly, leafy, spicy hops are there in a faint sort of way, and light caramel comes through as just a bit orangy.

Taste is disappointing as well. Firm, prickly bitterness is paired up with a surprising lack of hop flavor. Not a lot of malt flavor shining through easy, maybe a bit of caramel wrapped up in the astringent bitterness. Or maybe it's just the astringency and the caramel is imaginary. Finish is astringent, leaves a bit of cottonmouth going on, more lingering sharp bitterness. And that's about it.

Mouthfeel is decent; the astringency leaves me a bit disappointed. The body and carbonation are actually pretty decent, only knocked down by the other factors, which also offer a big knock to drinkability as well.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Really a dark amber when it comes to IPA's with a decent head.
S - Mostly malt but slight citrus and grapefruits smell
T - Well Favor seems to be mostly malt and not hops disappointing.
M - Refreshing and thin.
D - Well no more for me thanks way better IPA's to dream about.

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%

04/22/2010
12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Poured a clear amber with a quickly-dissipating head. Bubbles rose slow to the top, almost like it was under-carbonated.

S: Good amount of hops with lots of floral esters.

T: Bitter hops with some floral notes. Nice bitter aftertaste.

M: Slightly syrupy with a good bitter hop aftertaste.

D: Most complex by the end of the glass, so it's worth finishing the bottle. Not my first choice for an IPA but not my last, either.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear light amber/honey color with a nice white head that is gone quick but leaves a whole bunch of lace.

Smell: Big burst of florals, with a slight hint of citrus behind the bouquet. Sweetness comes out as well, most likely indicating a strong malt background.

Taste: Florals right away, peachy/apricot fruity back. Sweetness and bitterness fight it out and the sweetness clearly wins, so the malt is really noticeable. Maybe a touch of pine as it warms, but those florals have everything in check.

Mouthfeel: A bit creamier than the average IPA, gives the tongue and mouth a kind of coating that slowly wears off.

Drinkability: I can see the sweetness maybe being a bit cloying, but I'd have no problem taking down a few of these. The mouthfeel is not nearly as crisp and light as I'd like so I don't know if I'd be grabbing one of these on a hot summer day. Overall good, but not great standard IPA.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

A_Deep amber color.Almost bronze.Thick white head dissipates to a thick ring.Thick lacing.

S_Piney earthy hops and sweet malt.

T_Caramel malt at first and then crisp hops. Earthy,grassy,piney hops.

M_Thick and creamy.

D_Great session IPA. Put off trying this one for a while but will be coming back. Didn't see a freshness date though which is discouraging.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

I am finally getting around to reviewing this one because the Imperial Mad Hatter just hit shelves and I plan on reviewing that later! I have been consistently buying and enjoying this beer for a few years now, so let's find out exactly why!

Pours a golden orange color with a slight chill haze and an off white/beige head that leveled out to 2 fingers. Just after 3 sips there is massive amounts of lacing. I mean huge thick crazy rings of chunky lacing.

Dipping my nose into my pint glass I first notice the nice malt bill, a little toffee and caramel. Also the faintest bit of toasted bread. Then the hops get you with a nice piney, earthy, fresh and citrusy smell. How could you smell this and NOT want to taste it (unless you're my wife that hates our beloved hops-- and if you ARE my wife, what are doing reading this?? I think I hear the baby crying!)

The taste of this one follows the nose pretty much to the letter. This is a pretty well balanced IPA, and this is one that I like to have in my hand when I'm standing at the grill. Not a huuuuge hop bomb with massive amounts of west coast grapefruit, but rather a down to earth everyday beer that caresses your palate instead of belittling it. The nice bitter earthy dryness on the finish leaves your mouth feeling well-coated in hop oils, and your teeth feeling slightly sticky, like you just ripped a hit from a bong (ahhh college!).

Carbonation is adequate for style, but I do tend to prefer just a tad more. It doesn't hurt the overall drinkability too much though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have continued to buy it for so long. I usually stock one of 3 different midwest IPAs: Two Hearted, Crooked Tree, or Mad Hatter. I love all three, but I would say that this one is the most piney, crooked tree the most earthy/grassy/leafy, and two hearted the most citrusy and tongue bruising.

If you're looking for a good midwest IPA, look no further. After 3 or 4 of these, just send a drunk text thanking me-- that's all I ask for!

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. First off, its beautiful. Truly truly beautiful. Its amber and clear with a thin white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate. Looks great.

Moderate hop aroma of fruity variety with some malt backbone. Smells OK.

Medium body, some malt character up front, nice clean finish. There is something left to be desired. Drinkability is good but its just an average IPA, not too bitter or hoppy.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Mildly hazy copper/orange color. Nice head and moderate lacing.

S: Grapefruit, mild pine hop aroma is pleasant. Mild toasted malt grains.

T&M: Nice and crispy. Smooth with a medium body. Well-balanced hop and malt flavors. Mild bitterness as well. Finishes semi-dry with a long lasting hop flavor.

I must've gotten a fresh bottle because this is the best bottled IPA I've had in months!
I'd love to try it fresh to see if it is superior to most.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Amber orange, with a thin white head, pocked with relatively large bubbles. The head gets creamy as it settles in - great lace too - not lines, but full drapes - like the sleeves of a wizard's coat.

Airy, sweet, fresh, and floral hops deliver a heavy hand here - it seems like they vacate the nose pretty quickly though.

Bitter and floral on the tongue - unlike the nose, this really lingers for quite awhile. An initial bite slowly fades, leaving behind the hoppiness to roll around in the mouth - nice, but nothing much out of the ordinary.

Light carbonation makes room for enjoying the hops. A bit clingy on the tongue, but not much else here.

Nice for a variation on an IPA. Tasty, and an easy drinker here. Approachable even for a non-advocate.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Strong, fresh hop aroma.

Poured down the middle, it produces a nice three-finger cream-colored head with clinging lace. Clear, orange-brown amber color with some rising micro bubble activity.

Well-formed hop profile with smooth transition to soft malts. Stone ground nine-grain bread flavor with flowery hop afterglow. Good example of the IPA style.

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Burnt-orange to rust color, thin head that didn't last.

Grassy-citrus aroma but weak.

Nice bitter start then citrus and carmels come in. Leaves nice mouthfeel. Flavor doesn't explode on to tongue like other in this style. Medium weight. Kind of weak ABV for style.

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear amber-orange with off-white head and some light lacing lines.

Smell: Bright citrus hops, sweet toasted malts, and a slight sour dryness.

Taste: Very dry citrus hop taste is dominate, with an almost sour undercurrent of tart apples. There is some slight toasty sweetness from the malts, but the dry/sour mix takes over again at the end, with a nice moderate lingering bitterness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, exceedingly dry - like I like my IPAs.

Drinkability: Wow, I like this a lot more than I expected based on the somewhat lukewarm reviews. For an under 6% IPA, this is simply wonderful, with the dry body and hop-centric flavor profile I like in an IPA.

2.37/5  rDev -37.5%

Purchased from 3 Corners Liquor in Medford, MN. Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber body with a thin white head that caps. Aroma is dominated by citrusy hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Flavor is nothing but green apple sourness. This might just be one bad bottle out of many, but consistency counts in my book.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour - deep orange, almost blood orange juice in color with some lighter tones when held up to the light. Head is abut an inch of dish soapy off-white foaminess.
Aroma - herbal, hay, grass, lemon, orange, tangerine and some floral notes. Not a big bad piney IPA but much more subdued.

Taste - lots of sweet orange, lemon peel, fresh grass, some bitterness and a good dose of maltiness to back things up. Reminds me more of a American Pale Ale as its pretty balanced without too much in the way of assertive hoppiness.

Overall - Not a bad beer by any means and one that I'd be happy to drink all night. Will it blow your mind? Probably not. Will it makes its way into your stomach happily and easily? Yes, it certainly will.

Would I buy more of it? - sure, why not. Wait, they don't sell their beer out here in Massachusetts. Well, next time I am in Michigan I'll order a pint.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

I have been meaning to try this for a while now. I finally threw one in a mixed 6 pack.

A- Average IPA burnt orange color with deep yellow highlights. Nice white head that has strong stay and lacing.

S- A really grassy smelling take on an IPA. The first thing I thought was lemon-grass. Mostly because its like a combination of lemon juice and fresh grass.

T- Very grassy in the taste too. Slight lemon and grapefruit notes as well. What really hurts this taste for me is the finish. There is a very medicinal finish. Very strong on aspirin. It basically turned me off from this beer.

D- Due to a combination of me not being in the mood for an IPA and the aspiriny finish caused me to not finish this beer.

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle stamped 10/6 to a standard pint glass. Part of a nice Christmas gift from my sister-in-law.

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow color with a slightly off-white head that stays for a while.

Smell: Smells of grassy hops and a hint of grapefruit.

Taste: Just as the smell suggests, this beer tastes of grassy hope with just a hint of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable brew. This beer just slid right down. Not an overpowering IPA, but a solid brew nonetheless. Would recommend to those looking to try a good IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Bought on tap and also bottled. The head is a good inch to inch and a half high and the smell is very fresh and mildly hoppy.

Not a hard core IPA-Nothing to say, except that it tastes good: mild notes of citrus, some hop presence, is one of my first IPA's

Picked up a bomber at Plaza Liquors in O'Fallon IL

A: This beer pours a hazy copper color with aone finger of off white head. Head has moderate retention leaving a film on top and thick wispy lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is foral and piney hops, decent caramel malt presence.

T: Taste starts with a nice piney hop burst. Thin floral hops coupled with a nice malt backbone fill out the middle. Light citrus grapefruit finishes out the beer.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy on the tongue with an oily finish.

D: Goes down easily, relatively well balanced, tasty and drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +13.7%

Got a 12 oz. from the local cellar.

Pours a dark copper-amber-ish colour. Pours a finger and half of white head, then turns into a thin lacing around the glass.

Aroma starts thick and sharp, then gives way to fruity, yet dark flavors, and finishes grainy.

Starts with an acute sharp taste of toasted malts, followed by full dark flavors of other toasted grains, and finishes with slightly fruity finishes.

Has a fluffy feel to it with an even coating f mouth feel.

Very quaffable, goes down very smooth.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Had this on tap during a recent visit to Brews Cafe in Granville. Interested in trying this one as I've mostly been enjoying west coast IPAs as of late.

Appearance- Comes off the tap a medium amber-orange with a touch of haze and about a half-finger of off-white head on top. Head dies back pretty quick to some spotty patches here and there, no lacing to speak of.

Smell- Very mild. Some fragrant orange and grapefruit but a surprising amount of bready maltiness as well. Very much reminds me more of an English IPA from the nose. Hops present but smells balanced.

Taste- Nose very indicative of the palate. First thing I notice is some citrusy hops leaning towards the side of orange pineapple. However, the balancing malt shows through a great deal as well. Noticeable breadiness and a touch of caramel sweetness to finish off. Very balanced for an American IPA.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is good, being adequately carbonated and substantial. Drinkability gets knocked just a bit as I find this IPA to lean to far on the side of balanced to keep me overly interested.

Overall, a nice balanced IPA. Again, struck me more as an English than American IPA and one should keep that in mind going in. Decent and could be sessionable if the flavor interests you enough.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Look: Golden orange color, nice fluffy head, good lacing

Smell: Hoppy, sweet, floral

Taste: Up Front: Hops, pine, grapefruit. Finish: Orange, spice, malt, slight bitterness

Mouthfeel: Light and dry

Drinkability: Not the hoppiest IPA out there, but it has good balance between the hops and malt. At 5.8 abv, this is a session beer and a step up the hop ladder for Newbeez.

Overall Impression: This is a solid brew from New Holland. Nicely hopped, although a little light in body. I'm actually drinking this beer with a hat on my head - heehee! It didn't take me to "Wonderland" but, I'll have another...

3.45/5  rDev -9%

Bottle stamped 10/6. So it's not an ideal bottle, maybe a little bit past it's prime.

Pours a nice golden copper color with a slightly off-white head sitting on top. Retention is decent, as it shrinks to a small sheet in ten minutes or so, and does manage to leave some nice lacing.

The nose is much more hoppy than I anticipated given the bottle date. Floral and citrus hops, light grapefruit and orange notes. I get the creeping maltiness that lets you know this isn't the freshest it's ever been, but it's close.

As soon as the liquid hits my lips, I'm blasted with a piney bitterness. But then, as if by magic, it's gone completely. It's only there for the briefest of seconds. I get a much more maltier finish than I was expecting given the nose. I get a slight metallic taste in the finish.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I anticipated, but probably is around medium. Sweet and slightly dry finish, no bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is decent, but nothing special.

Overall, a nice IPA, but not something I would see out again. In a world with way too many IPA's this one is easily forgettable.

2.2/5  rDev -42%

Unimpressive. Average bitter hop taste. No fruit or floral notes to be had. If you are looking for more than your average IPA, this is not the beer for you. Light body. Copper color. Dry finish. This is the first beer from this brewery that I'm not totally impressed with. Can't like them all I suppose.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company