New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clouded, copper appearance. Thin tan foam supported by what looks like pretty weak carbonation. Dank citrus hop aroma with some sweet caramel in the background. The hops remind me of cut grass, although it maybe is a bit stinky, like cut grass that has been sitting around for a while. Weird.

The taste is not too sweet, with dry toasted malt flavors coming through as the hops are more subdued. There is a hint of orange-citrus in there, and the finish leaves a decent bitterness. Moderate carbonation in the mouthfeel, medium thick with a bit of a watery smoothness.

A decent IPA overall, but not much here to set it apart from all the others...

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass. It has a clear bright copper color with a foamy head that is very well retained. The aroma is very hoppy with faint traces of malt. The flavor is dominated by hops with the malt very much in the background. The body is medium to light with moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is an above average American IPA and a good example of the style. I'd like to see a little more malt though with a bit fuller mouthfeel, but nonetheless, it's still enjoyable.

3.72/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Nice shade of amber and not quite translucent. The head was clingy, almost soapy like a cask ale's head would be.

Smell: Lovely, lively c-hop nose. Centennial only? I would have guessed Simcoe as well. Totally fresh and flowery.

Taste: Mid-range carbonation and body pushes the hops to the forefront, surprisingly easy to drink for such a hoppy ale. It's bitter for sure, but without going too astringent. The floweryness of the hops make it taste totally like a strong green tea with extra herbs. I enjoyed it a lot!

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Scoobydank for this one.

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear copper hue with a one finger white head that quickly dies down to a thin layer. Stickiness is ok, but not the best for this style. Smell is a dirty pine with with some mild citrus. Not much else in the nose. Taste is pretty basic. Not a whole lot that stands out. Bland earthy pine hop flavor with a bit of caramel malt. Aftertaste is semi-dry. I just feel it's a bit watered down for the style. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Needs a bit more complexity, not a whole lot there.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 Oz Bottle Poured Into A Wine Glass

Appearance: Bright golden orange beer with translucent color. 1.5" white head with various bubble sizes. There doesn't seem to be many bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Juicy hops, grapefruit and bubblegum. Gin and peppermint linger in the background.

Taste: Bitter lemon at first then followed by piney hop oil. Pine needles, lemongrass, maybe some lemon basil. Not overly complex but perfectly drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. Not overly drying in the finish. Moderate alcohol bite, despite the low ABV.

Drinkability: Since buying a growler and enjoying every last drop, the bottle is a little bit more of a disappointment. The growler seemed thicker and more resonating. Either way, IPAs are always a good call, and this is definitely something to revisit.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured an medium amber-orange color with massive off-white chunky head. Much sticky lacing.
Smell is loaded with piney, citrusy hops and a bit of caramel malt in the background.
Taste is extremely nice with a firm hoppiness at the front end moderated by a slowly developing malt character..
Finished with the perfect bland of malt and hops to create one great beer.
Perfect drinkability.

3.45/5  rDev -9%

12 oz bottle.

Apperance was a light amber color with good, white head. Pretty decent retention and moderate carbonation.

Smell was nice and hoppy with a lot of piney hop aroma going on. Taste started out pretty nice, with a bit of malt and more hop flavor, but the finish was very pine bitter in an unpleasant way.

Mouthfeel was fairly medium-bodied. Drinkability suffered due to the harsh, unpleasant bitterness in the finish. Still, was a pretty decent IPA. I'd drink it again, but probably won't be looking to buy it again soon.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

It's interesting seeing all the different opinions on the same beer. Hard to figure some times, but this one really hit my wheelhouse pretty well for a very drinkable, tastey IPA. This poured a huge sudsy head that still had brownish-white lumps left on the bottom of my mug. It has a deep amber hue with a bit of cloudiness. I smell a lime-spice-malt combination that is pleasant. The first taste washes over the tongue in a creamy and beautiful blend of hops, a little apple and charcoal with a malty finish. It is lightly carbonated but this brew seems to taste even better as it warms in your mug. This may not turn on the hard core hop heads but I found it to be mild yet flavorful IPA and it was unusually creamy, a quality I find to be unfortunately rare. I wish I could buy this around my home state but was glad to have found some while traveling. Excellent and very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Serving from an in date 12 oz. bottle - reviewed 7-4-07

Pours a very light copper into my glass, and with a somewhat vigorous pour, produces a solid inch of foamy white head. Head retention is admirable, and there is good sticking to the sides of the glass all the way down. A little haze in this bottle (chill haze?), so not stunning in clarity.

The nose was evident while the glass rested on the table. I was able to detect grassy and piney hops in abundance.

The taste pretty much follows the nose, with grassy/piney hops in the forefront. A swirl in the mouth can help you to pick up on some bready malts and a little yeast. These are notice a bit more as the beer warms, but, as it should be, the hops dominate. Mouthfeel is medium, and just about where I'd put an IPA. A very quaffable brew, and, with an ABV that isn't over the top, an excellent selection for a session beer. For snacking, I'd pair this up with some cut up pepper-jack cheese, or some kettle style popcorn. (Pizza with banana and/or jalapeno peppers and this beer would make for an excellent evening)

Cheers!

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

Fairly typical IPA pour, orange, huge head on top. Smell is big on the floral hops, natch.

The flavour on this is heavily dominated by the floral and citrus hops from the aroma. As the beer warms, the floral can become astringent and unenjoyable. There is some malt backbone to the beer, but not a lot.

Mouthfeel, decent, but nothing spectacular. The hops do their job, but the body is somewhat light. Drinkability, not great. As I mentioned above, the beer becomes more astringent tasting to me as it warms, which negatively impacts this category.

Overall: not a terrible beer, but not one of my favourites either. If I want a Michigan IPA, I tend to take Centennial, Arcadia IPA, or Two-Hearted over this in a walk.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a light amber with a good head and decent lacing. The smell is somewhat light, but there are elements of citrusy, earthy hops, grapefruit rind in particular. The taste has that same grapefruit flavor, but with notes of pine and a touch of citrus juice as well. Very clean flavor and quite drinkable. Refreshing, but a little thin in the body department. This one is a good summertime ipa.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a bronze color with some golden highlights. Fluffy, rocky off-white head that lasts for a good 30 seconds. Lacing left as the beer subsided. The aroma's subliminally telling me "Two-hearted". It most be that kind of IPA, the one that has the candied hop aroma to it, slightly grassy. Well, after sipping, it has slight similarities, but not what I was expecting from the aroma. Mad Hatter is very well balanced, the citrusy hops take the foreground, but the sweetness from the pale malts is not left behind. Additionally, it might seem to some hopheads that it is a watery IPA, but to myself the thinness that I pick up on is very clean tasting and makes for a nice IPA. Good carbonation for the modestly lighter body. Overall, a very sessionable IPA that I'd pick up again.

A - Pours a pale orange color, almost no head

S - Hoppy pine with a lot of citrus

T - Citrus hop dominate, Spicy, has a refreshing bitterness. Very well rounded beer

M - Medium body, mild carbonation

D - Very refreshing beer, with much flavor. Very good IPA

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a light golden with a nice rising head and sticky lacing. Smell is mostly hops, grapefruit, grass, pine with some caramel malts in the background. Taste is pretty much the same but a little less, much milder than I had expected. The hops dominate with grapefruit and grass in the front with some very mild caramel to back it up. Mouthfeel is thin and slick.
An average IPA, nothing to brag about, nothing to complain about either.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Color is a tapered light orange to amber. Thin white head that retains throughout session.

Smell is a hoppy floral aroma.

Taste is a strong cascade hops? with a slightly citrus feeling. At the tip of my tongue it is a strong hop presence, followed by a malty backbone.

Very smooth mouth feeling. Wish I had more of these to drink.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a fairly dark amber color for an IPA, plenty of white frothy head with bit soapy bubbles. A strange mix of citrusy hops in the nose with some malty, toasty undertones in the nose. Flavor is a rush of hops, unknown to me but not signature American, but with a finish that is so reminiscent of bread. I can't get by the malty character of this beer, it is just fresh baked bread with a slight bent to a whole wheat cereal. Whereas the hops of this beer are quite generic it is the malt character that really shines. It is unique but not really something I'd like to drink all the time.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a beautiful hazy orange into my pint glass. The hoppy aroma is immediately noted as the head begins to form. The nose is a little earthy upon closer inspection but still very nice. The taste is hoppy...very bitter, but not in a bad way. Overall an above average IPA and a good example of this style.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

This is not my first sampling of this brew (although it is with the new label). It pours out with two fat fingers of head and a non-hazy orangish brown and has great retention. The aroma is potent with woody, hoppy, floral notes. The taste is like a hoppy punch in the face - bitter bitter bitter, and too much so for me. I hunted for anything malty and couldn't find it. I feel like I'm drinking dandelion greens or something. That disappoints me, since I'm mostly a big fan of New Holland and they're here in West Michigan. I know IPAs are supposed to be hoppy, but it's too much for me. At the very least, there's nothing to balance it out. That said, it does have good mouthfeel - pretty creamy for an IPA. In terms of drinkability, that bitterness really lingers, and I'll be able to put this down easily enough but I don't really want more. Darn.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from the bottle a clear dark gold with a creamy head that melted away to about a quarter of an inch. Nice lacing to the end.

The smell was my favorite part of this beer. Floral hops abound in this one.

A definite mix of citrus and a nice malty presence.

Mouthfeel was light and slick. Carbonation was mild yet still had a little fizz to it.

This is a nice sessionable IPA that I will have again for sure.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

V.07

Dark golden yellowish-orange. Nice head reduces itself to a thin film steadily, with sheeted lacing. Actively carbonated.
Citrus presence upfront, with floral accents. Very nice - bold.
Orange & grapefruit citric notes, balanced well with a nice matly backbone. Hops are present and accounted for, but not blistering the tongue.
Smooth & creamy initially, leading way to a nice wet, but snappy finish.
This is one hell of an IPA, just as good as I remember it from years ago. I will be revisiting this one alot through the next couple of months, that's for sure. Well crafted and absolutely recommended!

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Beautifully golden in color with a couple of tiny, white bubbles. The head was really minimal on this one.

Strong, floral hops are the primary aroma here, with sweet citrus jumping in, such as grapefruit and lemon. Also some additional fruitiness, perhaps grapes. Pine is also present.

Taste isn't much different than I expected from the scents; piny, floral hops and citrus notes, but it's very well-balanced and smooth. Like most IPAs I've tried, sweet up front, but bitter toward the finish.

The feel is a lot thicker than I imagined, fairly dry as well. Pretty tasty and highly refreshing, I'd definitely grab another if I had one, though not nearly as good as some others in the style.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle in pint glass

Pours with a very creamy head with a hazy amber color. There is not much to the nose but, the taste is good.The hops and malts are well balanced but I like a little more hops punch in an IPA. This is a solid IPA (representative of the style) but not one of my favorites. I would be happy if someone offered me one of these but, I don't think I would buy it again.

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

I haven't had a Mad Hatter and quite awhile, so I decided to have one and take some notes. This was a favorite on trips to Michigan before I could find it around Chicago.

This Mad Hatter pours an amber-orange hue with a persistent eighth-inch of of white foam on top. There's not much to say about the nose on this beer; there's a bit orange blossom fruitiness. The flavor is good with caramel malts mixing well with citric hops. The mouthfeel is smooth, but the body seems a bit light for an IPA. As I sip away, some little bits of lace is left on the sides of my glass enhancing the appearance. I like the balance between the hops and malt. The finish is assertively bitter and long, with a bit of sweet malt stickiness. Overall, this is a very enjoyable IPA. I think I got a hold of an especially tasty and fresh bottle of this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a slightly amber golden color with smallish head. Decent lacing. Aroma mostly floral hops with a little pine which follows into taste. Taste is predominantly floral with a little pine in the finish. Mouthfeel is nice, very full feeling. A good IPA but not exceptional. I would drink it again but probably will not seek it out.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden brown color with a thick two finger head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Nice floral hop smell. Definitely some pine in there. Citrus notes are abound (grapefruit and orange).

Taste: This is a good beer. Definitely has a nice, bitter hop taste along with a nice citrus blend. Orange and grapefruit seem to be the easiest to detect. But, there's also some mango and perhaps pineapple in there.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This definitely has a syrupy feel to it. But, it goes down well. Tends to leave a dry taste in my mouth. Overall, it's a nice offering from New Holland. This is my first of their beers and I'll try others based upon this effort. Consider it recommended.

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company