New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

V.07

Dark golden yellowish-orange. Nice head reduces itself to a thin film steadily, with sheeted lacing. Actively carbonated.
Citrus presence upfront, with floral accents. Very nice - bold.
Orange & grapefruit citric notes, balanced well with a nice matly backbone. Hops are present and accounted for, but not blistering the tongue.
Smooth & creamy initially, leading way to a nice wet, but snappy finish.
This is one hell of an IPA, just as good as I remember it from years ago. I will be revisiting this one alot through the next couple of months, that's for sure. Well crafted and absolutely recommended!

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Beautifully golden in color with a couple of tiny, white bubbles. The head was really minimal on this one.

Strong, floral hops are the primary aroma here, with sweet citrus jumping in, such as grapefruit and lemon. Also some additional fruitiness, perhaps grapes. Pine is also present.

Taste isn't much different than I expected from the scents; piny, floral hops and citrus notes, but it's very well-balanced and smooth. Like most IPAs I've tried, sweet up front, but bitter toward the finish.

The feel is a lot thicker than I imagined, fairly dry as well. Pretty tasty and highly refreshing, I'd definitely grab another if I had one, though not nearly as good as some others in the style.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle in pint glass

Pours with a very creamy head with a hazy amber color. There is not much to the nose but, the taste is good.The hops and malts are well balanced but I like a little more hops punch in an IPA. This is a solid IPA (representative of the style) but not one of my favorites. I would be happy if someone offered me one of these but, I don't think I would buy it again.

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

I haven't had a Mad Hatter and quite awhile, so I decided to have one and take some notes. This was a favorite on trips to Michigan before I could find it around Chicago.

This Mad Hatter pours an amber-orange hue with a persistent eighth-inch of of white foam on top. There's not much to say about the nose on this beer; there's a bit orange blossom fruitiness. The flavor is good with caramel malts mixing well with citric hops. The mouthfeel is smooth, but the body seems a bit light for an IPA. As I sip away, some little bits of lace is left on the sides of my glass enhancing the appearance. I like the balance between the hops and malt. The finish is assertively bitter and long, with a bit of sweet malt stickiness. Overall, this is a very enjoyable IPA. I think I got a hold of an especially tasty and fresh bottle of this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a slightly amber golden color with smallish head. Decent lacing. Aroma mostly floral hops with a little pine which follows into taste. Taste is predominantly floral with a little pine in the finish. Mouthfeel is nice, very full feeling. A good IPA but not exceptional. I would drink it again but probably will not seek it out.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden brown color with a thick two finger head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Nice floral hop smell. Definitely some pine in there. Citrus notes are abound (grapefruit and orange).

Taste: This is a good beer. Definitely has a nice, bitter hop taste along with a nice citrus blend. Orange and grapefruit seem to be the easiest to detect. But, there's also some mango and perhaps pineapple in there.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This definitely has a syrupy feel to it. But, it goes down well. Tends to leave a dry taste in my mouth. Overall, it's a nice offering from New Holland. This is my first of their beers and I'll try others based upon this effort. Consider it recommended.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Very decent American IPA, Centennial hopped. Some C hop aroma, good balance of caramel. Good bitterness and citrus juice, piney resin. A bit of head on golden yellow. Good carbonation making for a very good mouhfeel for an IPA, and satisfying. This has been brewed for a while and maybe that's why it is a bit disapointing to real hopheads.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Produced little head. Produced a dark, orangish color with little carbonation. This is my first New Holland beer. I caught a little of that baked goods smell. Biscuits. A bit chewy and has a slight citrus taste. Leaves a slight tart aftertaste. A nice beer. Not sure I'd get another with all the IPAs out there, but it's not bad.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Cloudy dark golden color with a creamy off white head that goes down but not away. The nose is of tropical fruits, grapefruit, spicy esters, and yeasty. Mouthfeel is thin to medium, a little watery, and a bigger fizz with a vigorous swill. The hop characters are dry, earthy bitterness, and peppery spice. Sweet and tart fruits reach the palate in the middle and it ends more bitter and yeasty. The finish is dry, bitter, grainy, and a little cardboardy. As it warms the flavors meld together more with a bigger spruce and juicy fruit character.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

Mad Hatter IPA straight from the bottle, fills the glass with a dark orange body. The off white head came to about one finger with the bubbles still rising for a while after I had actually poured the beer.

The aroma of sweet hopps that I have become acustomed to in all IPA's was the most outstanding thing about this beer. Smelling of oranges and possibly a slight lemon hint citrus is all over this.

The taste was slightly dissapointing, I am not quite a "hop-head" but when drinking a IPA I want my hopps to taste enjoyable. This had a slightly more bitter and a more dominent alcoholic taste to it than I liked. Coming out very bitter in the end but with the taste of citrus throughout with a very hoppy finish.

Leaving a very light taste in my mouth I couldnt see myself picking this up in a sixer. Maybre a once in a while beer at the bar or one when im already in plenty deep.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer poured a clear, copper color with a thick, sticky head that coated the glass. Carbonation consisted of very small, slow-rising bubbles. On the nose is a floral hop aroma with hints of pine and citrus. It is there upon pouring, but seems to dissapate rather quickly. The flavors expressed through tis beer consist of juniper, grapefruit, and fresh foliage. The finish is clean and dry, but very short lasting. This IPA is a decent medium bodied beer, with a flavor that would please many beginners' palates. I would reccommend this beer to people wanting to get acquainted with American IPAs. It's not too light, not too heavy. One of my favorites? No, but I do enjoy it. It's definitely worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev -4%

5 out of 5 bottles have foamed over after being opened. Quite a hassle. The beer poured a orange copper with a dense thick head, most likely a result of the foam overs upon opening. The head lingered and left a lot of lace on my glass. The first smell I noticed was sweet and honey like. Strange, but pleasant. Flowery hops as well. Over all a great smelling beer. Upon first taste I again got honey, then the flowery hops came back. Myabe some fruit in there as well. The beer felt chunky and thick and took some time to finish dry. Drinkability was good, I think I could make this a regular IPA in my rotation.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Very enjoyable IPA. Orange color from the bottle with a white head. Almost a perfume aroma with an IPA bitter finish Explodes with hops...a real winner. The Micro brew pub has a 6 sampler of different recipes of the Hatter and if you’re in Holland try the Black on tap. Fabulous!

This beer pours a nice light amber color. Darker than some other IPA's I've had before. Tons of tiny bubbles make up a very thick lacing on the sides of my pint glass.

Smell is nice, full of floral and citrus.

Taste has a nice hoppy punch to it. Very well balanced. Not as sweet as others, slightly sour. Great if your looking for a nice hoppy kick and a bitter finish

Mouthfeel is pretty heavy with moderate amounts of carbonation.

Overall a nicely crafted IPA, definitely above average.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

When poured it didn't produce much of a head, but it doesn't seem to be flat. After a second and hard pour, the brew did kick out a decent finger thick white head, with lacing that lasts all the way through. The orangish body is pretty hazy too.
Gives off aromas unique to an IPA. I detect the fresh mowed hay like a lager. There is also a slight lemony aroma here too. I tastes a bit off too. Kind of a mild coffee flavor, but followed up by the lemony hops.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

This 12 oz bottle of New Holland’s Mad Hatter IPA poured hazy amber-orange with a fluffy white head that collapsed quickly leaving slight lacing on the glass.

The aroma was hop dominant. Citrusy, floral and piney hop aromas dominated; a slight fruity character was evident in the background.

As with the aroma the flavor was also hop dominant. Floral (with a rosewater character), grapefruit and pine elements are most notable. Beneath the hops lurks a subtle malty sweetness. Hop bitterness is surprisingly moderate and lingers in a most pleasant and non-harsh manner.

Medium to full bodied with a low to moderate degree of carbonation; a very nice American IPA… good hop flavor and aroma without the crushing BU’s…definitely worth a try.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

The first thing noticed was the lack of head of the beer, but it was actually well carbonated. Minimal lacing as well.
It was a medium copper color with a small off-white head.
The aroma was of strong citrusy hops and malt, malt malt.
The balance of this beer was about perfect.Very strong hop flavor balanced by a very strong malt backbone. Wow!
The finish was a lingering bitterness that left me wanting more and more.
One of the finest beers I have ever had.
A must drink for sure.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%

Hazy dingy orange. Serious floral hop aroma. No lacing or head. Citrus/pine hop with a buttery biscuit malt backing. This has what I call the Hop-Bee-Sting flavor of a well balanced IPA. There was no harsh conditioning which also wins points with me. I'll definitely be trying this brew again. One of the better IPA's...

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

A: This brew poured a hazy amber. About 1 finger of white fluffy head that disappeared quickly. Average lacing

S: Fresh Citrus hops jumps right out at you.

T: Surprisingly balanced compared to the aroma. Hop punch up front not overly bitter. relatively dry finish.

M: Light body with slightly oily finish

D: An easy drinking IPA doesnt stand out in the crowd. Would drink it again

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Purchased at local liquor store, chilled and poured into nonic. Pure white head that lingers about centimeter off the surface, leaving spotty lacing. The body is a musty amber, yellow color. Smells of citrus, very fresh sort of sharp hop aromatics. Lots of grapefruit, grass and sour green apple. As the beer warms the malt becomes more apparent and provides a backbone for the hops to show themselves, but personally I might prefer a slightly more round hop aroma or maybe more malt balance. The flavor is very similar to the smell, with a crisp and tart mouthfeel, leaving a sort sweet tart aftertaste in the back of the tongue and the sides of my mouth. This seems like a more fresh tart IPA ideal for summer. Not my favorite IPA, but worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz bottle pours into my glass a nice clear peach/orange hue with a half inch of tight white bubbles on top and a bit of spotty lacing. Lookin good so far. Aromas start off with a nice mix of lightly piney and citrusy hops...the citrus shines through moreso. Its backed up by a sturdy caramel, somewhat biscuity maltiness. Nicely balanced overall, but lacks a bit of the hop punch I look for.

First sip brings a caramel infused biscuity maltiness upfront that has a touch of a toasted aspect to it. This is quickly followed by a rush of citrusy, earthy hop bitterness that has a tinge of pine to it as well. Flows down smooth and crisp with the sweetness hitting upfront and the fairly mellow bitterness playing clean up on the way down. A nice brew overall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit chewy with a good steady carbonation. An easy drinking IPA overall that is mellow compared to my hophead standards, but still fits well inside the realm of a well balanced IPA. I have enjoyed this one in various incarnations at festivals in the past and I'm always down for a pint!

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Had a hazy orange body and about 2 inches of frothy white head (probably due to an overzealous pour) that quickly diminished to about a fingers's width, leaving liberal amounts of lacing. I found the appearance of this beer very appetizing.

I also enjoyed the nose of this beer -- a nicely balanced blend of citrus and hops and no alcohol smell whatsoever. My mouth was watering at this point.

Taste is significantly milder that the smell, with some light hops and bitterness and just a hint of citrus flavors peeking through. Aftertaste is dry and bitter but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel was decent with very mild carbonation. It was just a hint watery for my tastes.

This is my first IPA experience, and although it is not my favorite, it was highly drinkable. It looks like there are many better IPA examples out there but this New Holland selection definitely piqued my interest in this style. I would gladly drink this beer again.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Hazy orange body with a less than impressive head. Still, attractive enough color makes this an appealing beer.

Spicy hops with that great citrus peel tang in the nose. Slight pine notes pick up in the back end making this a tasty-smelling brew.

Soft hop taste with strong bitterness in the aftertaste but understated otherwise. A very restrained IPA but a good one.

Somewhat thin in it's mouthfeel although a good creaminess creeps up toward the end. The grapefruit astringency on the tongue is nice. The end result is a really easy-drinking IPA which I could easily make a night of.

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance
This pours a deep amber. Rapidly dissipating surface foam. Low carbonation with fine bubble. Mild lacing present.

Aroma
Mostly hops with a touch of pine and florals.

Taste
Lacks depth and complexity. Semi-dry. Strong suit - assertive hops, but not excessive by any means. Almost no discernible malt.

Mouthfeel
Smooth, clean with a slight oily finish.

Drinkability
A mildly refreshing IPA that drinks easily, but lacks character.

My review appears to be lower than most here. Though the bottle states it is fresh I suspect perhaps this has gone a little south.

Appearance
This pours a clear, deep, brassy amber. One finger off white head forms on the pour. A low level of fine-medium sized bubbles carbonate this brew. Scantly yet intricate lacings present.

Aroma
Mostly citrus hops, especially white grapefruit, a touch of pineapple. A touch of caramel and some toast from the malts.

Taste
Dry toasty biscuit, touch of caramel, then the hops rush in with a wave of citrus, white grapefruit, some orange (and orange pekoe tea), pineapple, and is followed up by a more pronounced piney resinousness. Guessing they used cascade and amarillo hops or something very similar in this brew.

Mouthfeel
Dry and somewhat astringent. Well balanced, mostly toasted malt flavours in this light to medium bodied beer, but then this IPA is mostly about the bitter and slightly resinous hops.

Drinkability
A yummy, dry, astringent, yet refreshing IPA. Certainly sessionable for the hopheads out there. Probably not a very friendly drink for those who arent. I liked this one and will most likely drink again.

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company