New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

"Reimagined" for 2015. ABV increased to 7.0%. IBU's at 55. Also a slightly different hop profile, Citra, Michigan grown Cascade, and Centennial hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 755 | Hads: 1,933
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Really a great beer! I am not 100% sure what the piney lemony to me 90s taste is.....but this beer has it and I really like it!! aftertaste is very smooth and dry as well. I wish I got a little more alcohol for the money! 12$ for a 6! and only 5.25%! but it still tastes great! I would love to try it on tap somewhere! I am on my 2nd 6 pack of this and that is rare for me! (374 characters)

12 oz bottle served chilled into a goblet.

Mad Hatter is a hazy copper colored ale. The head is short and short-lived.

Aroma is sweet, fruity, and hoppy.

Flavor is also sweet up front with caramel and oranges. The hops come through from middle to end with citrus, especially oranges and grapefruits.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and nicely carbonated. It has good balance for an IPA but a surprisingly low ABV.

Overall a decent IPA but not near the top. (462 characters)

12oz bottle, $1.99. Apparently this was bottled two weeks ago so that's good. Orange color, decent head. Aroma is muted piney hops. Flavor is bitter, malty, not bad but it's going to take more than this to stand out on the shelves here in CO. (242 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%

Serving: Bottle into pint
Served: 20 August 2014

Appearance: Pours a very traditional amber color with a one finger off-white, foamy head. Looks like a traditional IPA would, without much too it. 3.75/5

Smell: Lots of dank, citrus and floral hops in the nose. Slight malt sweetness, but not much more too it. 3.5/5

Taste: Nice flavor with good contrast between the malts and the hops. This is definitely on the malty side for an IPA, which I like seeing. The hops add a lot of flavor and character to the beer but are decidedly not the only role. Malts add some slight caramelly notes to the beer, which make it taste and feel bigger than it actually is. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation, but seemed to fall flat too early, giving it an almost furry edge on the palate. 3.5/5

Overall: A good malt-driven IPA. I'd have this one again. (839 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Cloudy Orangeish color with nice head. Aroma is pleasing. Taste has a little citrus and some malts. Hop flavor is nice and balances well with the citrus. Overall, a not overly hopped beer, but a great blend of hops delivers on this one............ (247 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a smaller fizzy slight creamy 1/2 finger head that fades semi slowly at least, decent lacing, a slight hazy amber orange-red color.

Nose is like a basic IPA, a mild earthiness, some orange peel and notes of citrus, a bit piney, mild resinous like notes, some caramel malts.

Taste starts with caramel malts, a toasty reddish malt and mild sweetness, with a little candy syrup flavor. Then hops, fair bitterness, spicy earthy hops with some pine, hint of orange rind bitterness, and a little candied hop note. Finish is drier at least, fairly bitter and gets more bitter as it dries, bit of a spicy hop note, little pine, little rind, and bit of that caramel malt lingering.

Mouth is med bod, mild syrupy note, decent fluffy carb.

Overall OK, nothing great, at least nothing really wrong either, a bit too much on the caramel candy malts, and hops are not my fav for an IPA, although if I had this 7-8 years ago I may have liked it a lot more. (952 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm an Imperial IPA / higher end ABV-IBU IPA guy, but what I really crave is the perfectly balanced hop-malt blend. I want to smell and taste the malt as well as the hops. I've never found a "Session IPA" that I could tolerate and Mad Hatter isn't billed as a session, but at 5.25% ABV I can have two in place of a 10% IIPA and really enjoy the taste and aroma.

For the lower ABV and 55 IBUs, it delivers an excellent taste and remarkable complexity. The malt is right there in the aroma and in the first impression and then the hop bitterness asserts itself. None of the grassy, pungent Simcoe hop presence that I detest, but lots of the malt, caramel, pine, and breadiness that I love. If I'm going to have one or two ales I'll opt for Great Divide Hercules, but if I wanted to sit down and have several of something, this would be an excellent choice. (855 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, gold in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: pine and toasted malt

Taste: pine, caramel, earthy hops, and toasted malt

Mouthfeel:sweet and bitter mix well, medium-light bodied with medium-high carbonation

Overall: A nice and earthy dry hopped IPA. Hits the right amount of bitterness and sweetness. I could see myself having a couple of these on a hot day. (388 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is an example of a beer I bought due to the label - I was always a big fan of Alice in Wonderland (Disney version). Great label all around.

This beer has a nice copper color, a bit of head that leaves a nice ring of lace. It's medium-bodied and quite drinkable - it's not a hop bomb by any means but very well balanced. There is a solid malt presence here, nicely balanced by an earthy hop flavor. There is some bitterness on the back end but nothing too overpowering.

All the craze these days are "West Coast IPAs" - this is definitely in the East Coast/British category, but I'm equally a fan of this style. Worth a shot. (632 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a pint glass at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange copper color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Super frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Citrus, grassy, floral, herbal, and resiny pine hops followed by pale, toasted, and bready malts.

Taste: Same as above with nice mild bitterness. TTaste great and liking the low ABV. More towards the English than American, but very balanced and hoppy at the same time with more effort on the bitter side.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, crisp, refreshing, and medium bodied.

Overall: I like this IPA a lot due to its hop characteristics and low ABV. Will be enjoying more of these now that they are readily available here in Massachusetts. (846 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy copper, a finger of off white head, decent lacing

Smell is a big dose of caramel, toasty and bready malt, some pine and grapefruit and a little floral hop

Taste is grapefruit, huge floral hop, big biscuity and bready malt, a light pine bitterness in the finish, sweet malt in the finish

Mouthfeel is medium, heavy carbonation, slightly dry

Decent beer here, nothing i will revisit for any reason, drinks more like a APA then A IPA, really balanced almost overly so. (491 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good lasting head. Some spots on the glass. Solid amber color and a bit hazy.

Lots of caramel with a bit of sweetness. Not much hop nose, though. It seems to be closer to the English style of IPAs.

The flavor does parallel the smell with a lot of English aspects. The caramel is far drier but the hop is far more present--although it is simply bitter without any interesting notes. Decent body and carbonation. (412 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: slight haze; copper colored; 1 finger head that stuck around for the entire time; steady stream of bubbles coming up in the center of the glass; sheets of lace;

S: dank pine;

T: pine is front and center; moderate bitterness in the finish with some grapefruit;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: a really nice beer; not outstanding in any respect, but easy and enjoyable to drink; (394 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ACBF

A-Pours a lighter copper color with a thin while head.

S-Balanced. Hops are floral. Malt is mostly caramel. Fairly straightforward.

T-Very balanced again. Almost leaning towards being more malty. The malt is caramel and toastiness. Hops are more florals and some grapefruit.

M-Medium bodied with some subtler bitterness.

O-More balance than I enjoy in my IPAs. (370 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a copper/amber color. Half a finger of head which disappeared quickly. Slightly hazy.
S: Pine, grassiness, tropical tones and caramel malts.
T: The hops hit quick in the taste. Pine and bitter astringency are sharp up front and the dryness of the malt cleans things up on the back end.
MF: Nicely carbonated and pretty easy drinking.
O: If it weren't for the astringency up front this would not be an IPA to me. Not enough hop presence in the aroma or taste. It's ok, not great. (487 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours a golden brown with a two finger white head. Nice lacing but the head is dissipating a little too fast.

Smell: Pine and floral combination with a touch of mango.

Taste: Piney with some floral and citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Watery, lack of carbonation.

This is a poor example of an IPA. It's way too weak. This beer is a disappointment as an IPA, but it's not at all bitter about it. (403 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A nice deep amber with about one fingers worth of a slightly off white head which lingered and laced the glass as I consumed this. It has a slight floral aroma, really pretty mild. It is well balanced and easy drinking. It tastes like some session IPA's as the hops are present but do not dominate. It has a medium body.

I really like the flavor though it is a pretty malty IPA. (413 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a very tasty IPA, The aroma and flavor are both wonderfully designed. There is a slight fruity taste to it along with a caramel profile as well. This is one of my new favorite IPA's just tried it recently for the first time and I really found a beer that I will get again. (280 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent IPA and what I really like about it is that they are not trying to overwhelm you with a hoppy flavor. This is probably one of the best IPAs I have had in regards to balance and for me, has a really nice undertone of a belgian wheat flavor. (260 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a deep, amber/copperish color. It is a little bit cloudy. Thick foamy head. Smells as great as it looks. Notes of malt, but even more so are the hops and citrus aromas coming though. I would decribe the taste as a warm, earthy, fruit IPA. Perfect amount of carbonation as well. Overall great beer! (310 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange, nearly brown with a one finger thick white head with substantial head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very earthy and dank with just a few touches of tropical citrus. Lots of toast and caramel underneath coming from the malt. Really nice and somewhat unique in the IPA world.

Lots of biscuit in the flavor combined with the earthy dank hops. Toasted caramel as well. The biscuit really stands out, though. Some more juicy tropical fruit underneath with almost a bit of smoke in the finish although it is very subtle. Bitterness is only moderate and the finish somewhat sticky.

Overall, I really like this beer. I love the biscuit malt character and the hops are somewhat unique. I would like a slightly drier finish but all in all, this is an excellent brew. (818 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

We’ve got a gusher! And, a massive head of meringue fluff! I can barely keep this beer in the glass. I want this six inches of foam to settle so that I can pour off more of the bottle. Beautiful volcanic formation at the top with dry foam awesomeness. The beer that’s settling beneath has a dark look, amber with rusty haze. I haven’t had this one in awhile. Except for the overabundance of head, this ale is a treat to admire. Easy on the eyes.

Slightly malty, nutty, but showing fresh hop in the form of floral goodness. Lightly sweet with a hop tea touch. Notably caramelly in the malt, but the toast and malt sweetness are appropriately scaled back. It’s a really nice, clean East-Coast IPA nose. Really digging it all over again.

Floral hops, caramel malts, orange citrus, some sweetness, light toast, and a still-standing (but forgiving) bitter outro. I can’t believe this overcarbonation issue. It’s pretty serious. Anyways, back to the flavor chorus. There’s some slight sour mash-ness that is half-good and half-bad. It’s not a finesse IPA, but it’s a standard, and fresh ones are still quite good at hitting the spot.

The carbonation isn’t as biting in the mouth. The feel is rather milky smooth with that chew of congealed foam at the top. I love that in a hoppy ale. (1,301 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

Has a nice copper color with a white head. Smells hoppy. I don’t get citrus so much as something else, perhaps a floral aroma. Flavor is a nice amount of dry hops. The beer has a nice medium body feel and goes down smooth. This is a solid IPA that I could drink all day long. (277 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

In the years that have passed, the Hatter has gotten a new, more humanist look on the label. He has a more disturbing look of madness on his countenance and I would know as I have often seen the selfsame look while peering into the mirror while brushing my teeth. "There is a pleasure, sure, in being mad that none but madmen know." - John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, II.i [1681]. It is also fitting that I am drinking this while watching the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia as Russia is home to some of the best mad writers. Exhibit A is Nikolai Gogol's "Diary of a Madman", a how-to for every aspiring psychotic.

From the bottle: "Dry hopped for a distinctive, floral hop aroma; subtly balanced with delicious malt notes. Pairings: spicy dishes, greens and aged cheese."

Once I popped the cap, I went with a VERY gentle pour as I thought that I had noticed something in suspension the night before and thoroughly chilled it down overnight. It is a good trick that usually works and following the initial pour, I noticed residue clinging to the inside of the bottle. I will decant the rest separately and report on the results. The big loss was head, of which I only achieved a skim of wisps. A gentle agitation produced some tawny head, but I did not press it. Color was a deep, coppery-amber (SRM = ~ 17) with NE-quality clarity as further testament to my caution. Nose had a big evergreen bite and I was anxious to get drinking. Mouthfeel was slightly thin and the taste was nothing but big, juicy hops, close to saturation. I know that some people will dun this beer as unbalanced, but for me, it was just fine. I like hops and I don't need malts getting in their way, hence my dislike of the Black IPA style. It just requires that the brewer know when to back off with the heavy hand. Finish was totally dry, drier than SLC, UT during the 2006 Olympics, at least according to the commentators talking about the speed skating rink. Whew! This is an AIPA for hop heads only. They must be mad in Holland, MI to make something like this. Sure enough, the last pour was mud, but I like drinking the lees as it keeps me a regular guy.

My original, on-tap review dtd 21 Aug 2004 follows (Scores = 4; 4.5; 4; 4; 4):

This arrived a deep gold/amber in color with a light white head that proved to have a low retention. There was light carbonation evident in the glass. There was also a good hoppy/citrus scent on the nose. I experienced a lot of IBUs definitely being present on the tongue, but the bitterness did not linger. Instead, it was replaced by a mild maltiness on the finish. Not bad, but still not capable of replacing my favorite American IPA. (2,662 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice amber copper color with a one finger thick off-white head with short retention and leaving some laces.
Delicious and amazingly balanced aroma, predominant notes of caramel malt with citrusy hops. Hints of tangerine, bread, grapefruit and English fruity hops (though as far as I know, it was not used).
Likewise, very balanced flavor with notes of caramel malt, grapefruit, honey, perfume, American yeast, resin, lemon and pine. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with appropriate carbonation. It goes down smoothly.
Nothing mad on this beer, it is actually one of the most sane and balanced American IPA I had. Very fruity with a pleasant bitterness. It could be a fancy Session beer. (692 characters)

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company