New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

"Reimagined" for 2015. ABV increased to 7.0%. IBU's at 55. Also a slightly different hop profile, Citra, Michigan grown Cascade, and Centennial hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 762 | Hads: 1,959
4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent IPA and what I really like about it is that they are not trying to overwhelm you with a hoppy flavor. This is probably one of the best IPAs I have had in regards to balance and for me, has a really nice undertone of a belgian wheat flavor. (260 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a deep, amber/copperish color. It is a little bit cloudy. Thick foamy head. Smells as great as it looks. Notes of malt, but even more so are the hops and citrus aromas coming though. I would decribe the taste as a warm, earthy, fruit IPA. Perfect amount of carbonation as well. Overall great beer! (310 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange, nearly brown with a one finger thick white head with substantial head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very earthy and dank with just a few touches of tropical citrus. Lots of toast and caramel underneath coming from the malt. Really nice and somewhat unique in the IPA world.

Lots of biscuit in the flavor combined with the earthy dank hops. Toasted caramel as well. The biscuit really stands out, though. Some more juicy tropical fruit underneath with almost a bit of smoke in the finish although it is very subtle. Bitterness is only moderate and the finish somewhat sticky.

Overall, I really like this beer. I love the biscuit malt character and the hops are somewhat unique. I would like a slightly drier finish but all in all, this is an excellent brew. (818 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

We’ve got a gusher! And, a massive head of meringue fluff! I can barely keep this beer in the glass. I want this six inches of foam to settle so that I can pour off more of the bottle. Beautiful volcanic formation at the top with dry foam awesomeness. The beer that’s settling beneath has a dark look, amber with rusty haze. I haven’t had this one in awhile. Except for the overabundance of head, this ale is a treat to admire. Easy on the eyes.

Slightly malty, nutty, but showing fresh hop in the form of floral goodness. Lightly sweet with a hop tea touch. Notably caramelly in the malt, but the toast and malt sweetness are appropriately scaled back. It’s a really nice, clean East-Coast IPA nose. Really digging it all over again.

Floral hops, caramel malts, orange citrus, some sweetness, light toast, and a still-standing (but forgiving) bitter outro. I can’t believe this overcarbonation issue. It’s pretty serious. Anyways, back to the flavor chorus. There’s some slight sour mash-ness that is half-good and half-bad. It’s not a finesse IPA, but it’s a standard, and fresh ones are still quite good at hitting the spot.

The carbonation isn’t as biting in the mouth. The feel is rather milky smooth with that chew of congealed foam at the top. I love that in a hoppy ale. (1,301 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

Has a nice copper color with a white head. Smells hoppy. I don’t get citrus so much as something else, perhaps a floral aroma. Flavor is a nice amount of dry hops. The beer has a nice medium body feel and goes down smooth. This is a solid IPA that I could drink all day long. (277 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

In the years that have passed, the Hatter has gotten a new, more humanist look on the label. He has a more disturbing look of madness on his countenance and I would know as I have often seen the selfsame look while peering into the mirror while brushing my teeth. "There is a pleasure, sure, in being mad that none but madmen know." - John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, II.i [1681]. It is also fitting that I am drinking this while watching the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia as Russia is home to some of the best mad writers. Exhibit A is Nikolai Gogol's "Diary of a Madman", a how-to for every aspiring psychotic.

From the bottle: "Dry hopped for a distinctive, floral hop aroma; subtly balanced with delicious malt notes. Pairings: spicy dishes, greens and aged cheese."

Once I popped the cap, I went with a VERY gentle pour as I thought that I had noticed something in suspension the night before and thoroughly chilled it down overnight. It is a good trick that usually works and following the initial pour, I noticed residue clinging to the inside of the bottle. I will decant the rest separately and report on the results. The big loss was head, of which I only achieved a skim of wisps. A gentle agitation produced some tawny head, but I did not press it. Color was a deep, coppery-amber (SRM = ~ 17) with NE-quality clarity as further testament to my caution. Nose had a big evergreen bite and I was anxious to get drinking. Mouthfeel was slightly thin and the taste was nothing but big, juicy hops, close to saturation. I know that some people will dun this beer as unbalanced, but for me, it was just fine. I like hops and I don't need malts getting in their way, hence my dislike of the Black IPA style. It just requires that the brewer know when to back off with the heavy hand. Finish was totally dry, drier than SLC, UT during the 2006 Olympics, at least according to the commentators talking about the speed skating rink. Whew! This is an AIPA for hop heads only. They must be mad in Holland, MI to make something like this. Sure enough, the last pour was mud, but I like drinking the lees as it keeps me a regular guy.

My original, on-tap review dtd 21 Aug 2004 follows (Scores = 4; 4.5; 4; 4; 4):

This arrived a deep gold/amber in color with a light white head that proved to have a low retention. There was light carbonation evident in the glass. There was also a good hoppy/citrus scent on the nose. I experienced a lot of IBUs definitely being present on the tongue, but the bitterness did not linger. Instead, it was replaced by a mild maltiness on the finish. Not bad, but still not capable of replacing my favorite American IPA. (2,662 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice amber copper color with a one finger thick off-white head with short retention and leaving some laces.
Delicious and amazingly balanced aroma, predominant notes of caramel malt with citrusy hops. Hints of tangerine, bread, grapefruit and English fruity hops (though as far as I know, it was not used).
Likewise, very balanced flavor with notes of caramel malt, grapefruit, honey, perfume, American yeast, resin, lemon and pine. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with appropriate carbonation. It goes down smoothly.
Nothing mad on this beer, it is actually one of the most sane and balanced American IPA I had. Very fruity with a pleasant bitterness. It could be a fancy Session beer. (692 characters)

This here is an American IPA, a well crafted one at that. Ive had it on tap and it was way better, but Im drinking it now in my Guiness pint glass from the bottle. Its pretty fresh and tasty. Not over the top but a great session ale.
A- I love how cloudy it is. Need more unfiltered beers.
S- I love how the malt shows up in the smell. Fruity and bitter hop smells... Like I said, not over the top, but really nice balance going on here.
T- Bitter, but not too bitter, flowery but too flowery... this is just a great example of the style. Not a regular pick for me, but Id definitely grab one if its on tap.
M- Ahh, I love a beer that doesnt seem watery! great creamy almost chewy mouthfeel, just excellent.
Over this beer is a champ and I recommend you try it at least once. If youre looking for a beer you could drink a bunch of while enjoying every sip, grab some Mad Hatter. (880 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This offering from New Holland pours a deep dark amber color with a lasting off white head. Much darker than most ipas, I'm definitely expecting some generous amounts of malt based on the hue of this one. The nose is hoppy with citrus and pine notes but definitely has an underlying Sweetness. The flavor follows suit with a generous supply of bitter hops up front giving way to a quite sweet malty flavor. There is actually even a little alcohol bite to this; surprising for this low of an abv. It sips very smooth and medium bodied for the amount if hops and malt present. This is definitely another winner from New Holland but not my favorite of their offerings or even in my top ten ipas. Worth a try but not worth hunting for. Could definitely be sessioned though. (769 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am big fan of New Holland, and this is their first beer I scored below ba avg.
Light alcohol, but too monotone and high-pitched for me to enjoy more than 1 in a row.

One of the fruitier, more pineapple than citrus rind IPA styles. It goes into to the too fruity bin for me.

A: One of the darker, cloudier IPAs, with short-lived head and some dotty lace. Better lacing in later tries.
S: Hop pine-apple, in the upper registers of flowers and fruit for me. Better as it warms. Lots of it.
T: Follows the smell, more pine-apple than others, sharp high notes, a bit candied, hard candy, high register, tart ish, missing the malt. Plenty of hop punch. Packs plenty of flavor.
MF: thinner, more metallic and minerally, a laquer-ish finish.

Some IPAs feel like they are trying too hard, the name says it for me, it's too fancy for itself. If you like flavored, fancy, and fruity, this is for you. (899 characters)

Appearance: Cloudy, apricot colored.
Smell: Pine and grapefruit. Citrus.
Taste: Pine and some grapefruit.

This is so excellent. It was interestingly cloudy, and has the piney grapefruit qualities that make IPAs wonderful. It has a very nice bitter bite. I would definitely get this again. (289 characters)

The pour is copper with a light white head that sustained and laced the glass to finish. The nose is light floral to citrus notes but not overly present. Properly carbonated. Taste was the strong suit for this brew. This is a more drinkable IPA but those looking for a strong, overly-bitter example of the style, it might not pick up on the subtle complexities. The first flavor that come to the tongue is a hint of caramel undoubtedly from crystal being in the malt profile. The middle bursts with a mild hoppiness with the same citrus and floral characteristics. The finish is slightly grassy and lingers more than a beer of this size and depth. Looking forward to my next bottle. Nice work Michigan! (702 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle poured into Highland Brewing snifter

A - pours up a hazy apricot with a foamy one finger head, great retention and great lacing.

S - very fruity, with pine, and bread notes

T - I don't really get a distinct beginning, middle, and end, but I do get a lot of individual flavors working at once. Grapefruit, rye bread, roasted nuts, did I mention grapefruit, lemon, caramel malts.

M - great carbonation, bit of an aftertaste

O - pretty good IPA. Worth drinking at least once. (493 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

A- Hazy, super dark orange color. Almost brown. 2 finger head that is creamy on top, but soapy inside. Sticky lacing.
S- Tangerine, sweet grapefruit, pine.
T- More bready than anything. Hops are pretty muted. Slight dull citrus bitterness in aftertaste.
M- Medium body. Semi creamy. Almost effervescent carbonation.
O- 3 (323 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus, hoppy. Taste is well balanced. Hops up front, a bit of citrus. Caramel malts coming on strong at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid and enjoyable beer. (280 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours copper brown, darker than most ipas with an off white head. Smells of slight citrus, pine and biscuits. Taste is certainly bitter on the tongue, with bready malts in the backbone, some light caramel sweetness. Dry finish, medium bodied, with medium to high carbonation. Not bad, but a very different take on the style. (324 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -26.6%

"Meh". That's my initial impression of Mad Hatter.

Copper-colored. Aroma is almost nonexistent. There's a subtle earthy smell after the pour but it quickly dissipates to nothing. Taste is similar. Overly sweet malts up front. Slightly bitter finish. If you're looking for something citrusy/fruity/piney look elsewhere. This is a very malty IPA.

The one saving grace is the low ABV. It has a nice mouth feel coupled with good carbonation. The low ABV makes it fairly drinkable but the flavor leaves so much to be desired. Too unbalanced for my taste.

OVERALL: Nothing special. Personally, when I drink an IPA, I always hope to find hints of citrus/pine. This beer offers the exact opposite: roasted, bready, caramel malts. If that's your thing, I can imagine this being an enjoyable IPA. If you're like me, you should probably look elsewhere. (845 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a mug, this beer appears a hazy, dark amber with a small, bubbly head. It smells sweet and bready with just a hint of spicy hops on it. The mouthfeel is slightly carbonated, but it goes down very smoothly due to it being a bit on the watery side. The flavors in this IPA aren't very complex. A deep, but not incredibly bitter, hoppiness is laced with a sweeter malt flavor, with just a hint of yeast as well. Overall, this is a good beer, but I don't have any reason to recommend it over some other IPAs on the market that I have had. It does, however, go very nicely with a good burger. (613 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

New Holland Brewing Company - New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a slightly hazy ruby amber with a smaller soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves tons of lacing.

Smell - Sweet caramel malt with dank resin hops. A bit on the sweet side here, got me worried.

Taste - Sweet malt is there but resin and pine takes over relatively quick and creates a nice bitter hop blast.

Mouthfeel - Rests only slightly sticky from the malt but not otherwise boozy, only a tad hot. Nice hop bitter lingers. Good drinkability.

Overall - For a maltier brew, I found this to be pretty solid. Not a king by any means but good nonetheless. The bitter forward hops redeem the maltiness. (729 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: This beer looks to have a lot of carbonation from the way it sticks to the sides of the glass. Almost Like I just poured a bottle of pop. There isn't much of a head on this copper-colored beer, and there little retention and no lacing.

S: A nice balance of the malt and hop in the aroma of this beer. The front is slightly sweet, with a bready character. The piney hops are (obviously) a large player in the aroma as well.

T: No surprises in the taste after you smell this brew. The front end has toasted malts, that same bready character, and a slight cracked wheat flavor as well. The hops in the middle bring an equal share of piney notes and citrus character. The finish is neither dry nor sweet, but somewhere in the middle.

M: Moderate body, moderately high carbonation. The beer is a little oily, and a little watery, neither of which I would care much about on their own, but together it's a little unsatisfying.

O: Proof that an IPA doesn't have to be huge to be quite excellent. This is a well-balanced, solid drinking beer. At 5.25% it's almost sessisonable, and they had a light enough hand with the hops that it doesn't ravish your palette. A solid offering. (1,179 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a copper honey with a slight haze. Has a ittle over a half finger of fluffy white head.

S - Wonderful smell of citrus. I picked up grapefruit and lemon immediately. Also has a nice piney aroma as well. The aroma does not dissappoint on this one!

T - More piney than I expected. From the aroma I really expected more citrus. The ciitrus is definately there, just more in the background. Still, a wonderful tasting IPA with loads of flavor.

M - Wow, this stuff is smooth! Very impressed. Nice creaminess too it and also has a slight warming fel from the high abv!

O - Fabulous beer! I think I've found a new favorite Double IPA. This beer has tons of flavor, great aromas, and goes down so smooth! (709 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

bottle into pint glass

appearance: dark copper cloudy orange with half finger white head

smell: lemon, clementines, grapefruit, sweet malts, clove, herbal

taste: so smooth for an IPA, by the smell you would think it's a really bitter hop bomb, but the finish almost cuts off, there's hardly any bitterness in the aftertaste. You're left with a sort of watery, resinous, citrusy finish that is pretty satisfying. Remarkable balance; this is such a smooth beer.

mouthfeel: not much carbonation, rather thin feel

overall: a great IPA when fresh, but after a few weeks the hoppiness drops off very quick. a smooth IPA. Will buy again. (635 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

A drinkable beer, but not what I expected. Moderate grassy/earthy flavor that left only a slight bitterness. There was just a hint of the advertised floral aroma. I would not have guessed this beer was dry-hopped if the label hadn't told me so. I'll be on the look-out for this beer on tap, but out of the bottle this was a very average American IPA. (350 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: hazy amber. Big foamy head on the pour that nearly comptely recedes. Thick, lingering lacing though.
Smell: fruity and citrus. Pleasant if not distinctive.
Taste: much like the nose but a little more prosaic.
Overall: nice but no standout. (251 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

New Holland brewing company is my hometown brewing company. So of course I'm always excited to give one of their beers a try.

It pored out fine from a bottle to a clean pint glass. It had a fine head, and a fine color, and a fine consistency. It was, well, fine.

as with the appearance, the smell was also average. It smelled like most IPAs do, not really that much to say about it. Clearish amber color with a white head.

The smell was a bit floral, but besides that, nothing to write home about.

The taste was pretty good. It was a nice mellow hoppy beer, not too overpowering, with a nice floral backround taste.

The mouthfeel of this IPA was the only thing that really stood out, and not necessarily in a universally good way. It's smooth, maybe even a little slick. It's a good beer to drink a lot of. But it isn't as refine as a great beer should in this category, yet it is pleasant to drink.

Overall, this is a fantastic drink to bring to a group gathering. Not a lot of people will have any protest to this beer, it goes down smooth and you can drink a lot of it. But as far as quality beer goes, it's a resounding "meh." (1,138 characters)

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company