New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale AleNew Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2002

"Reimagined" for 2015. ABV increased to 7.0%. IBU's at 55. Also a slightly different hop profile, Citra, Michigan grown Cascade, and Centennial hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,913 | Reviews: 776
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Cloudy Orangeish color with nice head. Aroma is pleasing. Taste has a little citrus and some malts. Hop flavor is nice and balances well with the citrus. Overall, a not overly hopped beer, but a great blend of hops delivers on this one............

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a smaller fizzy slight creamy 1/2 finger head that fades semi slowly at least, decent lacing, a slight hazy amber orange-red color.

Nose is like a basic IPA, a mild earthiness, some orange peel and notes of citrus, a bit piney, mild resinous like notes, some caramel malts.

Taste starts with caramel malts, a toasty reddish malt and mild sweetness, with a little candy syrup flavor. Then hops, fair bitterness, spicy earthy hops with some pine, hint of orange rind bitterness, and a little candied hop note. Finish is drier at least, fairly bitter and gets more bitter as it dries, bit of a spicy hop note, little pine, little rind, and bit of that caramel malt lingering.

Mouth is med bod, mild syrupy note, decent fluffy carb.

Overall OK, nothing great, at least nothing really wrong either, a bit too much on the caramel candy malts, and hops are not my fav for an IPA, although if I had this 7-8 years ago I may have liked it a lot more.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm an Imperial IPA / higher end ABV-IBU IPA guy, but what I really crave is the perfectly balanced hop-malt blend. I want to smell and taste the malt as well as the hops. I've never found a "Session IPA" that I could tolerate and Mad Hatter isn't billed as a session, but at 5.25% ABV I can have two in place of a 10% IIPA and really enjoy the taste and aroma.

For the lower ABV and 55 IBUs, it delivers an excellent taste and remarkable complexity. The malt is right there in the aroma and in the first impression and then the hop bitterness asserts itself. None of the grassy, pungent Simcoe hop presence that I detest, but lots of the malt, caramel, pine, and breadiness that I love. If I'm going to have one or two ales I'll opt for Great Divide Hercules, but if I wanted to sit down and have several of something, this would be an excellent choice.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, gold in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: pine and toasted malt

Taste: pine, caramel, earthy hops, and toasted malt

Mouthfeel:sweet and bitter mix well, medium-light bodied with medium-high carbonation

Overall: A nice and earthy dry hopped IPA. Hits the right amount of bitterness and sweetness. I could see myself having a couple of these on a hot day.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is an example of a beer I bought due to the label - I was always a big fan of Alice in Wonderland (Disney version). Great label all around.

This beer has a nice copper color, a bit of head that leaves a nice ring of lace. It's medium-bodied and quite drinkable - it's not a hop bomb by any means but very well balanced. There is a solid malt presence here, nicely balanced by an earthy hop flavor. There is some bitterness on the back end but nothing too overpowering.

All the craze these days are "West Coast IPAs" - this is definitely in the East Coast/British category, but I'm equally a fan of this style. Worth a shot.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a pint glass at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange copper color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Super frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Citrus, grassy, floral, herbal, and resiny pine hops followed by pale, toasted, and bready malts.

Taste: Same as above with nice mild bitterness. TTaste great and liking the low ABV. More towards the English than American, but very balanced and hoppy at the same time with more effort on the bitter side.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, crisp, refreshing, and medium bodied.

Overall: I like this IPA a lot due to its hop characteristics and low ABV. Will be enjoying more of these now that they are readily available here in Massachusetts.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy copper, a finger of off white head, decent lacing

Smell is a big dose of caramel, toasty and bready malt, some pine and grapefruit and a little floral hop

Taste is grapefruit, huge floral hop, big biscuity and bready malt, a light pine bitterness in the finish, sweet malt in the finish

Mouthfeel is medium, heavy carbonation, slightly dry

Decent beer here, nothing i will revisit for any reason, drinks more like a APA then A IPA, really balanced almost overly so.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good lasting head. Some spots on the glass. Solid amber color and a bit hazy.

Lots of caramel with a bit of sweetness. Not much hop nose, though. It seems to be closer to the English style of IPAs.

The flavor does parallel the smell with a lot of English aspects. The caramel is far drier but the hop is far more present--although it is simply bitter without any interesting notes. Decent body and carbonation.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: slight haze; copper colored; 1 finger head that stuck around for the entire time; steady stream of bubbles coming up in the center of the glass; sheets of lace;

S: dank pine;

T: pine is front and center; moderate bitterness in the finish with some grapefruit;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: a really nice beer; not outstanding in any respect, but easy and enjoyable to drink;

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ACBF

A-Pours a lighter copper color with a thin while head.

S-Balanced. Hops are floral. Malt is mostly caramel. Fairly straightforward.

T-Very balanced again. Almost leaning towards being more malty. The malt is caramel and toastiness. Hops are more florals and some grapefruit.

M-Medium bodied with some subtler bitterness.

O-More balance than I enjoy in my IPAs.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a copper/amber color. Half a finger of head which disappeared quickly. Slightly hazy.
S: Pine, grassiness, tropical tones and caramel malts.
T: The hops hit quick in the taste. Pine and bitter astringency are sharp up front and the dryness of the malt cleans things up on the back end.
MF: Nicely carbonated and pretty easy drinking.
O: If it weren't for the astringency up front this would not be an IPA to me. Not enough hop presence in the aroma or taste. It's ok, not great.

3.6/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Pours a golden brown with a two finger white head. Nice lacing but the head is dissipating a little too fast.

Smell: Pine and floral combination with a touch of mango.

Taste: Piney with some floral and citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Watery, lack of carbonation.

This is a poor example of an IPA. It's way too weak. This beer is a disappointment as an IPA, but it's not at all bitter about it.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A nice deep amber with about one fingers worth of a slightly off white head which lingered and laced the glass as I consumed this. It has a slight floral aroma, really pretty mild. It is well balanced and easy drinking. It tastes like some session IPA's as the hops are present but do not dominate. It has a medium body.

I really like the flavor though it is a pretty malty IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a very tasty IPA, The aroma and flavor are both wonderfully designed. There is a slight fruity taste to it along with a caramel profile as well. This is one of my new favorite IPA's just tried it recently for the first time and I really found a beer that I will get again.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent IPA and what I really like about it is that they are not trying to overwhelm you with a hoppy flavor. This is probably one of the best IPAs I have had in regards to balance and for me, has a really nice undertone of a belgian wheat flavor.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a deep, amber/copperish color. It is a little bit cloudy. Thick foamy head. Smells as great as it looks. Notes of malt, but even more so are the hops and citrus aromas coming though. I would decribe the taste as a warm, earthy, fruit IPA. Perfect amount of carbonation as well. Overall great beer!

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange, nearly brown with a one finger thick white head with substantial head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very earthy and dank with just a few touches of tropical citrus. Lots of toast and caramel underneath coming from the malt. Really nice and somewhat unique in the IPA world.

Lots of biscuit in the flavor combined with the earthy dank hops. Toasted caramel as well. The biscuit really stands out, though. Some more juicy tropical fruit underneath with almost a bit of smoke in the finish although it is very subtle. Bitterness is only moderate and the finish somewhat sticky.

Overall, I really like this beer. I love the biscuit malt character and the hops are somewhat unique. I would like a slightly drier finish but all in all, this is an excellent brew.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

We’ve got a gusher! And, a massive head of meringue fluff! I can barely keep this beer in the glass. I want this six inches of foam to settle so that I can pour off more of the bottle. Beautiful volcanic formation at the top with dry foam awesomeness. The beer that’s settling beneath has a dark look, amber with rusty haze. I haven’t had this one in awhile. Except for the overabundance of head, this ale is a treat to admire. Easy on the eyes.

Slightly malty, nutty, but showing fresh hop in the form of floral goodness. Lightly sweet with a hop tea touch. Notably caramelly in the malt, but the toast and malt sweetness are appropriately scaled back. It’s a really nice, clean East-Coast IPA nose. Really digging it all over again.

Floral hops, caramel malts, orange citrus, some sweetness, light toast, and a still-standing (but forgiving) bitter outro. I can’t believe this overcarbonation issue. It’s pretty serious. Anyways, back to the flavor chorus. There’s some slight sour mash-ness that is half-good and half-bad. It’s not a finesse IPA, but it’s a standard, and fresh ones are still quite good at hitting the spot.

The carbonation isn’t as biting in the mouth. The feel is rather milky smooth with that chew of congealed foam at the top. I love that in a hoppy ale.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

Has a nice copper color with a white head. Smells hoppy. I don’t get citrus so much as something else, perhaps a floral aroma. Flavor is a nice amount of dry hops. The beer has a nice medium body feel and goes down smooth. This is a solid IPA that I could drink all day long.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

In the years that have passed, the Hatter has gotten a new, more humanist look on the label. He has a more disturbing look of madness on his countenance and I would know as I have often seen the selfsame look while peering into the mirror while brushing my teeth. "There is a pleasure, sure, in being mad that none but madmen know." - John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, II.i [1681]. It is also fitting that I am drinking this while watching the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia as Russia is home to some of the best mad writers. Exhibit A is Nikolai Gogol's "Diary of a Madman", a how-to for every aspiring psychotic.

From the bottle: "Dry hopped for a distinctive, floral hop aroma; subtly balanced with delicious malt notes. Pairings: spicy dishes, greens and aged cheese."

Once I popped the cap, I went with a VERY gentle pour as I thought that I had noticed something in suspension the night before and thoroughly chilled it down overnight. It is a good trick that usually works and following the initial pour, I noticed residue clinging to the inside of the bottle. I will decant the rest separately and report on the results. The big loss was head, of which I only achieved a skim of wisps. A gentle agitation produced some tawny head, but I did not press it. Color was a deep, coppery-amber (SRM = ~ 17) with NE-quality clarity as further testament to my caution. Nose had a big evergreen bite and I was anxious to get drinking. Mouthfeel was slightly thin and the taste was nothing but big, juicy hops, close to saturation. I know that some people will dun this beer as unbalanced, but for me, it was just fine. I like hops and I don't need malts getting in their way, hence my dislike of the Black IPA style. It just requires that the brewer know when to back off with the heavy hand. Finish was totally dry, drier than SLC, UT during the 2006 Olympics, at least according to the commentators talking about the speed skating rink. Whew! This is an AIPA for hop heads only. They must be mad in Holland, MI to make something like this. Sure enough, the last pour was mud, but I like drinking the lees as it keeps me a regular guy.

My original, on-tap review dtd 21 Aug 2004 follows (Scores = 4; 4.5; 4; 4; 4):

This arrived a deep gold/amber in color with a light white head that proved to have a low retention. There was light carbonation evident in the glass. There was also a good hoppy/citrus scent on the nose. I experienced a lot of IBUs definitely being present on the tongue, but the bitterness did not linger. Instead, it was replaced by a mild maltiness on the finish. Not bad, but still not capable of replacing my favorite American IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice amber copper color with a one finger thick off-white head with short retention and leaving some laces.
Delicious and amazingly balanced aroma, predominant notes of caramel malt with citrusy hops. Hints of tangerine, bread, grapefruit and English fruity hops (though as far as I know, it was not used).
Likewise, very balanced flavor with notes of caramel malt, grapefruit, honey, perfume, American yeast, resin, lemon and pine. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with appropriate carbonation. It goes down smoothly.
Nothing mad on this beer, it is actually one of the most sane and balanced American IPA I had. Very fruity with a pleasant bitterness. It could be a fancy Session beer.

This here is an American IPA, a well crafted one at that. Ive had it on tap and it was way better, but Im drinking it now in my Guiness pint glass from the bottle. Its pretty fresh and tasty. Not over the top but a great session ale.
A- I love how cloudy it is. Need more unfiltered beers.
S- I love how the malt shows up in the smell. Fruity and bitter hop smells... Like I said, not over the top, but really nice balance going on here.
T- Bitter, but not too bitter, flowery but too flowery... this is just a great example of the style. Not a regular pick for me, but Id definitely grab one if its on tap.
M- Ahh, I love a beer that doesnt seem watery! great creamy almost chewy mouthfeel, just excellent.
Over this beer is a champ and I recommend you try it at least once. If youre looking for a beer you could drink a bunch of while enjoying every sip, grab some Mad Hatter.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This offering from New Holland pours a deep dark amber color with a lasting off white head. Much darker than most ipas, I'm definitely expecting some generous amounts of malt based on the hue of this one. The nose is hoppy with citrus and pine notes but definitely has an underlying Sweetness. The flavor follows suit with a generous supply of bitter hops up front giving way to a quite sweet malty flavor. There is actually even a little alcohol bite to this; surprising for this low of an abv. It sips very smooth and medium bodied for the amount if hops and malt present. This is definitely another winner from New Holland but not my favorite of their offerings or even in my top ten ipas. Worth a try but not worth hunting for. Could definitely be sessioned though.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am big fan of New Holland, and this is their first beer I scored below ba avg.
Light alcohol, but too monotone and high-pitched for me to enjoy more than 1 in a row.

One of the fruitier, more pineapple than citrus rind IPA styles. It goes into to the too fruity bin for me.

A: One of the darker, cloudier IPAs, with short-lived head and some dotty lace. Better lacing in later tries.
S: Hop pine-apple, in the upper registers of flowers and fruit for me. Better as it warms. Lots of it.
T: Follows the smell, more pine-apple than others, sharp high notes, a bit candied, hard candy, high register, tart ish, missing the malt. Plenty of hop punch. Packs plenty of flavor.
MF: thinner, more metallic and minerally, a laquer-ish finish.

Some IPAs feel like they are trying too hard, the name says it for me, it's too fancy for itself. If you like flavored, fancy, and fruity, this is for you.

Appearance: Cloudy, apricot colored.
Smell: Pine and grapefruit. Citrus.
Taste: Pine and some grapefruit.

This is so excellent. It was interestingly cloudy, and has the piney grapefruit qualities that make IPAs wonderful. It has a very nice bitter bite. I would definitely get this again.

New Holland Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company