New Holland Existential: Hopwine - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Existential: HopwineNew Holland Existential: Hopwine

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kirok1999 on 05-16-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

V.07

Dark copper sporting a nice medium-tight head and a fair amount of carbonation. Sweet aroma with slight citric notes, and gluttonous hops lurking down deep.
This is a bit too syrupy for this session, but it might be perfect for a cool Fall night. Truthfully, it doesn't taste like much of anything. The aroma fools you, and this tastes like a beer that is a little past its prime. It's not necessarily cloying, but lays heavy on the tongue with a semi-bitter finish.
Like all leery speculation, this really doesn't have much focus, due to the fact it falls short of being a barleywine or big IPA.
Normally, NH never does anything less than spectacular in my book, so I rather not to slam it. It is hard to appreciate this offering, though.

scott, Jul 20, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

This was outstanding.... I was at the Lake Country Beer festival on Saturday and was lucky enough to try some before it was all gone. (From notes)

Nice sweet aroma with a nice hop touch in the nose. Very crisp with just a touch of hops to start with. I kept getting some fruit, almost like a prune sweetness but it wasn't too much. This was quite smooth and finishes very clean.

Very glad to give this one a try and would for sure recomend!

lonestar4lunch, Jul 06, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass. Pours light copper with a slowly developing (but rapidly dissipating) white head. Dissapointingly little hop complexity on the nose which is the first hint of an overall theme. The flavor starts with the sweetness of the malt which provides a solid backbone, preparing you for the expected hop balance. Unfortunately, the briefly pleasant pine and caramel combo is rapidly clubbed into submission by a one-note hop bitterness and a level of alcohol that is completely out of balance with its surroundings(this is from someone who loves a good high abv barleywine or imperial stout). While the hops manifest themselves in the bitter aftertaste, I get virtually none of the citrus or floral complexity that I was looking forward to. Overall, this was a big swing-and-a-miss from a brewery that hits its fair share of home runs.

chicagobeerriot, Jun 09, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +18.7%

Bright cloudy orange with a deep, thick looking orange sherbet colored head.

Smells mostly of caramel and pineapple. Very strong, deep scents. Not too complex, but it smells delicious. Reminds me of Devil Dancer.

Like the nose, the taste is not overly complex. However, there is a lot of a few good things going on here. Namely, caramel malt, and piney, earthy hops. If I had never had Devil Dancer, this Existential might have completely blown my mind; it could pass for a (slightly) tamer version of Devil Dancer. But if you take it by itself, this is a phenomenally well done beer. It's well-balanced, but packed with flavor, both hops and malt. Maybe leaning a bit more towards the malty side. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with enough carbonation to go around.

This brew is DELICIOUS. There is no sign of alcohol on the palate, which is just a little bit crazy for a beer with an ABV like this. Existential Ale is dangerously easy to put back.

I have been wanting to try this beer for over a year now because of its name (double major in Philosophy and Russian Studies here). But it took me a while to get around to it because I heard some bad things about it from someone (I don't even remember who it was now). After trying it for myself, I have now reached the conclusion that this beer is vastly underrated. It's become an instant favorite of mine.

sarahspat, Apr 05, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz bomber for $6.49. Tried this at the MI Winter Beer Fest, was a nice surprise to see it on the shelfs. I believe it was advertised as a "Hop Wine" at the fest.

A: Pours a copper/amber that is pretty clear, with a small head.

S: Smells 'sticky', as in I expect a big boozy beer. Quite fruity/floral. Not smelling the hops like I expected.

T: Sweet and fruity, with tastes from the nectarine/apricot families. Has plenty of bitterness, but somewhat lacking on hop flavor. Pretty hot right now. Brutally bitter finish, which isn't necessarily bad, but I expected a little more.

M: Thick and sticky. Nice body.

D: A nice sipper. A pretty big beer, both ABV and palatte wrecking, for a bomber. 12 oz might have been enough.

Usually I don't like aged DIPA's, because I love the fresh hop taste and smell. However, I think its is better catergorized as a barleywine, and I think it could use some time. I remember liking it better at the Fest, but I think everything tasted great by that point...

mjd83goblue, May 18, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

A-Midnight black rising carbonated body with a country off white head that held 3/4".
S-Sweet, toasted malts, tad bit of yeast, and fruity.
T-On the draw it was very sweet with slight hop tingle and on the way down it was heavy in the alcohol esters, but yet very smooth.
M-Like syrup initially followed by a dry and hop-laden after-taste.
D- It is extremely drinkable and I am sorry to say that I wasn't at the pub for their stout marinated burger, but it was purchased for me and I love it.

RJUGA03, May 04, 2010

A- Very orangish brown tint to this beer. Head was very minimal, but what was there was a tan color. It did have good retention of such a little head. Lacing was prominent.

S- WOW. Smells very complex. Initially some huge pine hops, and a nice caramel malt scent in the background.

T- Completely opposite of what I'd expect due to the hop scent. The beer itself is really sweet. Get some caramel malty sweetness throughout the time that this is in your mouth. Once you swallow, you're left with a very bitter piney hop taste. Overall, very much more balanced than I'd have imagined by the smell.
Not your typical hoppy IIPA taste however.

M- Chewy, thick, a tad syrupy. The bitter backend to this beer really sticks around for a long time, which I really like. Alcohol is noticible after you swallow it too, and it sticks out in my mouth.

D- High ABV makes it a horrible beer to session, but rating drinkability by enjoyment, I've gotta give it a 4.

Should have tried this sooner. Had some real barleywine like characteristics. I like it!

tadowdaddy, Dec 15, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a relatively light amber/yellow. Slightly lighter than most DIPAs. Head faded very quickly and the lacing is minimal.

Smells moist, hoppy and a little sweet.

Taste up front is intense bitter hops. Through the middle though a decent amount of the sweetness from the malt comes through. A little more than I usually like in my DIPAs. Strong hop bitterness finishes this one off as it goes down. There is a burnt characteristic to this one as well that I'm not necessarily a fan of.

Mouthfeel definitely has some chewy/sticky characteristics to it.

Drinkability for me personally isn't too high just because the sweetness from the malt comes through a little too much for my taste.

abankovich, May 01, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours thick tan-orange with a little tan head.
S: Sweet and strong. I was able to smell the hops it without holding the glass up.
T: Sweet fruits, hoppiness. Alcohol burns in its aftertaste.
M: Thick with good carbonation.
D: This is a solid imperial IPA. I recommend trying it.

Lepley, Aug 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

I got this MONSTER ALE down at the Headkeepers on the way home from dropping off a resume. It's a beast of an IPA...very hoppy, bitter and satisfying. I poured 3/4 of the 22 oz. botlle into a crystal wine glass. The head was almost gone as soon as I returned from returning the bottle to the fridge. The color was a light orange with a twang of gold. The aroma was full of hops and citrus. The taste was lovely. Good and bitter, with a lingering after taste. This is definately a beer to try out!

steelcutoats, Nov 12, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Second of the day, stared with BORIS the Crusher and sipped slow, really enjoying it. Took a break and the hop head in me wants to get some love. So like any good coach, I revisited my game plan.

I recently got a New Holland Existential Ale from New Holland Brew company in a trade (thanks again wisrarebeer) and decided to pull the trigger. The pour coincides with the Seahawks slowly driving on my Pats... hopefully this New Holland Mojo will change things:

This 22 oz bomber comes via their High Gravity Series. The bottle explains that this "Is what it is." Amen, only if it all were that simple.

Holy soap bath, rubber ducky and all...bubbles explode on top of a golden straw color liquid that turns darker as it takes a tour of the glass. Once filled, the soap suds settle down on top of an inch thick light tan head... but they keep on popping. (shoot, 7-0 Seahawks.. that drive was to long and too easy) Nice lacing... beehive lacing that clings strong and tight. And the lacing lasts, no rings here... this lace sticks like peanut butter, leaving a coat down the glass.

Lots of pine on the nose, mixed in with caramel... nice smelling beer. Not over powering by any means, and the malt driven characters are get stronger as you smell. Kind of like back seat drivers, they don't control this leg of the drive, but they sure as hell want you to think they do. Shit, I just dunked my nose in the friggin beer... god damnit, the Pats can't stop the run and I can't smell a beer....

Hmmm? Where did the piney hop smell go and hide... very sweet, actually very sweet with strong honey and caramel. It's as if the malt and honey brokered a deal where the hops would take the smell and the malts would handle the flavor... but then both of them tried to finagle their way into the other half of the deal, showing up late to the party with a tuxedo on... demanding to be noticed. The aroma was hop on the front with a nice caramel maltiness lingering around and the complete opposite happened for me on the taste... honey, caramel, vanilla on the front with some hop on the finish. The problem is, the Malt showed up in an all white tux with blue suede shoes... out performing the hops. Me thinks this might be better off called Winehop.

It is full bodied and creamy. Plain and simple? It feels good in my mouth. (wow, I was going to erase that and rewrite, but I deserve to be responsible for my initial thoughts... and the pats are down 14-3, this Mojo is NOT doing what I had hoped)

It's a big beer, that is for sure. I recently had Southern Tier Back Burner, which I didn't care for to much... but this takes the sweetness that I did enjoy out of that beer and put it on a platform that suits my style better. I just wish the hops had the fancy tux at this dance. The bottle really summed it up nicely, this beer is what it is.

calise1122, Dec 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange drank color, haha its so true though! Very little lacing, very little head. To start this off, the nose is very sound. The hops are incredibly pronounced on the nose, showing tropical fruit canned base and have a hint of showing a bitterness at the first taste. The palate consists of a very simplistic barley wine, with malts dominating with hops on the background showing only a slight bitterness. The main flaw that i notice is the sheer alcohol presence which is unbalanced. Not a terrible beer, but I wouldn't bring this beer home for a double dip

Twerknasty, Apr 29, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours out a fairly standard pale orange with minimal head. Smells of sweet florals with a background of pine. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet with a weak bitter aftertaste. Cloying sweetness only lasts a little bit making it fairly drinkable. Little to no taste of the 10.50% makes this a dangerously sweet brew.

I prefer my DIPAs to be more bitter than sweet, but if you like a less bitter DIPA, this may be a good beer for you.

jbramley, Jan 07, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -29.9%

Picked this up at Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove, MN.

I've tried a couple other of the big beers from New Holland and have to say that this one disappointed me a good bit. I have enjoyed their Dragon's Milk Ale on several occasions.

Poured a nice darkish orange into a snifter with about an inch of just-off-white head. Lacing was present, but underwhelming.

Aroma was disappointing. Nothing stood out to me. No big piney or grapefruit hops, no toffee, no candy. Sure, those aromas were present, but nothing stepped forward and took hold like a DIPA should. Everything seemed muted.

Flavor was another disappointment. They call this a "hop wine" but there weren't any big hop flavors showing up. If anything, it was a little sweet from a-bit-too-much malt. The malt stood in front of the hops and wouldn't let it get by. Alcohol was pronounced, but not too overbearing. I was expecting a palate-shredder of a hoppy ale, but alas.... This beer didn't know if it wanted to be a DIPA or Barley Wine or something else entirely.

Mouthfeel, on the other hand, was very good. Nice and thick. It's by far the best aspect of this particular beer, imo.

Drinkability was low due to the high ABV and the fact that the hops in this hop wine aren't very assertive at all.

Overall, if you're into DIPAs, you might take a chance on this one if you see it. It ranks near the bottom of the DIPAs I've tried. Who knows, I may have had a bad bottle, but I don't think I'll try it again.

Blybloke, Dec 26, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer doesn't come around here very often where i'm from.But since i'm a huge New Holland fan and mad hatter freak,I just had to try it.Poured a slightly cloudy amber orange with 1/4 inch head.The head disapated fairly quick but laced the glass nicely the whole way down.The smell insantly reminded me of Mad Hatter but stronger with the fruitiness and malt character.In the mouth...a explosion of hop variety that should satisfy any hophead with a nice malt balance.I thought with the 10.5% ABV it would not be what i wanted,well i was wrong.If this succulant DBL IPA was not 6.99 per bottle i would drink it more frequently.If you love a good double IPA,do not deny yourself this pleasure

malibujohnny, Aug 29, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

From a 22 oz. Bomber bought at Hyde Park Wine & Spirits served in a Duvel tulip glass

A-Orangish hue, almost to a slight amber color. Has a light, inch and a half white head that dissipates relatively quickly. It does leave a fair amount of lace around the glass

S-Dominated upfront by piney notes from the hops, also can get a whiff of the alcohol, which at 10.5% is not surprising. There is some underlying maltiness, but the smell is dominated by the hops.

T-First and what stands out the most is piney, syrupy hops. Not completely overwhelming but definitely dominant. In the middle and towards the end is light,fruity maltiness, and than back to the pine at the end with finish of warming alcohol notes.

M-Has a syrupy feel, with some light carbonation that has some sweetness and alcohol at the end. The syrup is there for the entire ride.

D-This has a nice balance between malt and hops with the hops dominant but not overstaying their welcome. It's a nice sipper but you can taste the alcohol in the finish. Definitely a sipper.

O-A darn tasty brew. I love hops and you get plenty here, but they don't destroy the flavor with too much bitterness. Well balanced with the malt and the alcohol kick. I can see where people see this more as a barleywine. It lacks the overall hop kick that a DIPA would suggest, but again there is plenty of piney, hoppy notes in this brew. I definitely look forward to trying this again!

wharfrat1, Jun 06, 2007