New Holland Night Tripper - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Night TripperNew Holland Night Tripper

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: mcallister on 01-22-2008)

karatebartender, Nov 15, 2011

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011

ScreamForMe, Nov 15, 2011

3agle87, Oct 12, 2012

Goldfoot, Dec 16, 2011

Grant4270, Aug 16, 2014

Saw this on the shelves and recognized it as a new high gravity series and had to pick it up. Interesting logo, looks like some clown batman would have beaten up or something, anyways... Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is black as night (no pun intended) and has a creamy looking, one finger, brown-tan head. The smell is wonderfully complex; chocolate, roasted coffee, raisins, figs, dates, cherries and only a faint backdrop of the massive alcohol that lies hidden below. Making anything that has this much alcohol and still smells this great and not like rocket fuel is impressive. The taste showcases the dark fruit flavor, with an initial sweetness that then transitions to a warming alcohol bite and finishes with the roasty, toasty coffee/chocolate flavor. The alcohol is not quite as subdued as well as it was in the nose. The mouthfeel is full bodied and silky with a creamy carbonation. Overall, a dangerously drinkable beer. This could possibly be my new favorite beers and is definitely in my top 5. I hope to venture back to New Holland again and be lucky enough to try this one on tap.

gmfessen, Apr 01, 2008

ahq514, Nov 30, 2011

TheDarkKnight, Apr 08, 2013

MightyQ, Nov 27, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Well this is currently my favorite RIS, and for what that's worth RIS is my favorite style. This beer blows me away every time and is truly something special.
This beer really takes the cake in the smell and taste categories, it is just so incredibly complex. The alcohol is perfectly balanced and every sip just makes me sit and think. I feel like more and more is revealed in the beer every time I drink it, and this has become the measurin stick I judge many of my other RISs by.
If you haven't had this one you're missing out. Have this alone the first time you try it, and then with someone who knows their beers and in particular RISs the next time you have it.
My father in-law and I really go nuts for this beer and we always have a good time drinking and exploring it
Truly, truly a sipping beer.

imperialbigswig, Nov 02, 2008

Awesome brew here.

Poured into a Guinness pint glass a pitch black all the way through the rim. Foamy 1 finger brown head that left a lingering lacing through the bomber.

Smelled of roastiness, coffee and cocoa. The smell wasn't subtle - you know it is there and is about to be big.

Flavors were intense roasty malts layering into cocoa and espresso. The 10.8%ABV was well hidden in the intense flavors, though an alcohol warmth on the sides of the tongue was present through the finish. Had a nice structure and complexity with a rich mouthfeel, but not so viscous that I would consider it chewy.

I delayed opening this large bottle because each time I looked at the size and 10.8%ABV I thought it might be too big. This thing has super drinkability which surprised me though I must admit to a slight buzz as I sit here with half a pint to go.

Overall, a great example of an Imperial Stout. I can't believe the Bros. haven't reviewed it yet. That's cool, just means more for me!

BelgiumBill, Mar 12, 2011

Served on tap at the Black Squirrel in ADMO DC
A: Midnight black like a magicians cloak. You can't see through this one at all. It even has a magically disappearing head.
S: Moraccan black crude with a light jasmine floral profile. Dark Madagascar cocoa, vanilla, oak barrel and sweet malt.
T: This brew has a great taste profile. It starts off with a great dark Madagascar cocoa, 80 %. It has a dark Moroccan coffee flourish which is impressive in finish and character. Sweet well aged malt balls.. YUM!
M: Full mouthfeel medium to high carbonation that has a fantastic dark cocoa and burnt bourbon barrel coffee press finish.
O: A very impressive offering that begged for 3 tastings, and must be re-evaluated in a bottle. Damn tasty. Get one today!

challenja, Mar 27, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from bomber into snifter. Pours black with brown 1 finger head. I smell malty sweetness- chocolate and toasty. Taste mimicks smell but with a little hop bitterness and a little warming from the alcohol. Thick and fullbodied and oh so delish! This glass is filled with pure goodness- one of my favorite impys.

gnemesis, Mar 08, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Inky black in color-somewhat of a tan head. Decent sized and some nice lacing as it goes down. Heavy mocha aroma. Almsot a spicy, cinnamon like quality. Huge roasted flavor. Like a beer espresso. Mocha, coffee and bitter chocolate flavors are all swirled as one. Just a great, not overly complex taste to it. A slight spiciness that reminds me of a spice cake sort of flavor. Silky smooth and velvety mouthfeel. Great beer-very drinkable-even on a hot, hot July evening. This would have to age well. Get some.

lackenhauser, Jul 21, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

mmmm...New Holland is really a hit or miss type brewery. Some of their beer is phenomenal some however is just average. Recently I went on a Michigan brewpub tour and just happened to be lucky enough to drink the Night Tripper on cask. Between six of use we probably ordered about 20 glasses. It was a very good night and one of the finest stouts I have ever had. I have heard that it is just not the same out of a bottle but if anyone ever has the chance to have this on cask you will not be disappointed!

beerhan, May 02, 2010

Holy S*&T!

Poured from a 22 bottle into a snifter.

Appearance was pitch black, with creamy tan head, very little carbonation.

Smell: WOW! Roasted Coffee, cocoa, caramelized brown sugar, and burnt caramel.

Taste: Flavors of roast coffee, dark chocolate dominate with a slight hint of black licorice. Flavors linger on the palate for a very long time. Get a nice hit of hops in the finish that is quickly balanced out by flavors of chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice and heavy like you would expect from a Russian Imperial, but not gumey or tacky. Coats the mouth with all of the flavors in the aroma.

Drinkability: For all of the alcohol, and chocolate malt in this beer it goes down rather quickly, needed to slow myself down so I could enjoy all of the complexity of this beer.

Tried with some extra dark (72% cocoa) chocolate what a perfect match. Being a chef I can't wait to try braising some short ribs with this beer on a cold snowy Clevland night.

YOU NEED TO TRY THIS BEER!

djwilson, Feb 18, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Jet black. Good luck seeing through it. One finger tan colored head, wants to hang around with good initial lacing at first but declines as it warms.

S: Intoxicating. Chocolate, coffee, hint of bourbon and alcohol in the back. Nearly perfect blend.

T: Phenomenal. Matches the smell with a little bit of coffee bitterness hanging around for a while as the aftertaste.

M: Medium to heavy, little sticky on the tongue, with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Gotta say I had Dragon's Milk in mind when I tasted this and it blew DM out of the water. Great example of the style. In the words of Jay Bilas tremendous taste and smell profile, with great aging upside. Got two bottles, might have to pick up another to go with my other extra and space out the aging on the two. Highly recommended.

jcsull, Jan 27, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

The Night Tripper Imperial Stout is one of several beers of the HIGH GRAVITY series from New Holland Brewing Co. It was just recently introduced and I am proud to say that I was one of the first at my local watering hole to sample it. I have a bit of a soft spot for stouts of the imperial nature, and this one didn't disappoint.

I popped the crown and poured it into my favorite crystal snifter, my standard for all tastings. There was absolutely no head but a few bubbles around the edge of the glass. There was no evidence of lacing, just a thin film on the inside of the glass when swirled. The aroma was full of chocolate, dark roasted malts and toffee. Ditto for the taste...a complex blend of coffee and chocolate, with a mellow malty finish. This definitely isn't for beginners, but I am a firm believer in the old notion of "baptismal by fire" so grab a bottle and saddle up...just don't forget your beads.

steelcutoats, Feb 21, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

Black as night, ever so faint ruby highlights gleams around the edge of the glass. Even an aggressive pour produces only a minimal 3/4 finger head, though the retention are surprisingly decent. Lacing is excellent, thick sheets cling to the side of the glass seemingly unwilling to budge.

The aroma is truly a thing of beauty. Deep roasted malt layers the sweet chocolate and dark roast coffee smells to perfection. Smooth vanilla seeps through the darkness. The alcohol is not hidden but settles in remarkably well.

The taste mirrors the aroma all most to a t. Flavors are layered with precision and care. Roasted malt leads way to chocolate immediately to be followed by rich coffee. Sweet vanilla flavors intermingle giving this brew great contrast between the roasted and the sweet. Slight alcohol bite is pleasant and slightly warming.

Mouthfeel is full while not overly thick. Texture is smooth and creamy while finishing rather dry.

Dangerously drinkable, the drinkability is nothing short of excellent. Easy to drink, and do not be surprised if you finish this one faster than you planned. While I am not certain I would consider this my favorite beer, I can honestly say this one is causing me to think along and hard about giving it all 5's. Tremendous job by New Holland.

kzoobrew, Sep 20, 2009