New Holland Night Tripper - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mcallister on 01-22-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 823 | Reviews: 349

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a half of a finger dark tan head that fades quicly into a very thin cap with light lacing.

Aroma of roasted malt, dark chocolate and hints of alcohol.

Taste of dark roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, traces dark fruit, licorice and a touch of alcohol.

Mouth Feel is full body, light carbonation, silky smooth with a slight dry ending with a slight bozy after taste.

Overall a very good, solid imperial stout, I hope to enjoy again.

4.03/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Night Tripper a few months ago for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I always thought that I have tried and reviewed this beer before, but when I went to see what score I gave it I realized that was not the case, so I decided to pick up a bottle and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a foiled brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label doesn't look that great, I'm just not a fan of it. It poured a nice used motor oil black color that didn't let any light come through with three fingers worth of dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sticky patches of lacing behind. This is a very good looking Imperial Stout, the color, head and lacing were all very nice and spot on for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight molasses like aroma to it and was followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart some nice roasted aromas with some light coffee aromas in the background with lots of dark chocolate aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slightly lighter amount of medium dark fruits with no one fruit sticking out the most and I picked up some alcohol that smelled a little boozy. The aroma is really nice, it had some nice balance to it and it was very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a slight molasses like flavor along with a slight candied sugar like flavors and were followed by loads of dark roasted malts that imparted a roasted and slightly charred flavor with some coffee flavors showing up in the background, but it's still the dark chocolate that's the most dominant. Up next comes some medium dark fruit flavors with no single fruit sticking out the most and a lighter boozy flavor that wasn't really warming. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with some more sweetness with a very chocolate and coffee like aftertaste.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was nice, but the sweetness seems to hurt it a little.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an Imperial Stout, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, but it was still a little rough around the edges and that prevents it from being a top tier Imperial Stout. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too filling, not too boozy, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me from drinking the whole bottom by myself, I think splitting this with someone is the perfect amount, I would attempt to drink a whole bottle but the I think the sweetness would start to get to me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both really nice and i loved how the aroma was dominated by dark chocolate. What I liked the least about this beer was the higher amount of sweetness, if the sweetness was toned down some this would be pretty close to perfect, but I feel like the high amount of sweetness prevents it from being as good as it could be. I would buy this beer again, I would like to throw one in my cellar to see if it smooths out a little overtime, I think it has potential to do well in the cellar and I would recommend this to most Imperial Stout lovers, especially if they don't mind a little extra sweetness. All in all, I was happy with this beer, there was room for improvement but in the end I think this is a very solid example of the style and it just might be one of the better beers that I have tried from New Holland, I would love to try a barrel aged version of this beer and I think it has the potential to be better than Dragons Milk since I feel like that beer needs a stronger Stout base and I think this beer is sturdy enough to support those nice bourbon barrel flavors.. Nice work guys, I don't know why I was sleeping on this beer, but I don't think I will overlook it anymore and I'm interested to see how it develops over time.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A-dark brown black color with a small tan head and minimal lacing

S-dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, dark chocolate

T-dark roasted malt, raisins, dark rich chocolate, coffee, molasses, has a bourbon-barrel quality

F-medium to full body with little carbonation, smooth and creamy

O-this imperial stout was impressive and had a barrel-aged quality to it, enjoyed this one

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
New Holland Night Tripper from New Holland Brewing Company