Blue Sunday Sour - New Holland Brewing Company

Blue Sunday SourBlue Sunday Sour

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: lackenhauser on 07-13-2008

This unique anniversary libation, heritage-blended from our library of barrel-soured beers, exhibits deeply layered flavors of malt and oak, with a tart finish.
Pairings: wild game,poultry & charcuterie.

17.1° Plato 8.7% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 489 | Reviews: 110
3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Blue Sunday Sour last week for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I think I may have tried this once at a beer festival a few years ago, but I can't fully remember, so I thought I should give the latest release a try, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a foiled 22oz bottle in a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's got a classy look to it and it's eye catching. It poured a dark ruby red color that took on more of a brighter ruby color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a nice cherry and berry like aroma being the first to stick out and it makes for a nice blend of berry and fruity aromas with no single one sticking out the most and it's followed by the yeast which imparts a somewhat lighter funky aroma with just a slight vinegar like aroma. Towards the end comes the oak which imparts a nice and noticeable woody oak aroma with just a slight bit of vanilla coming through. This beer had a good aroma, it's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness being the first to show up and it's followed by the sour berry and cherry aspects that i got in the aroma and they show up nicely and the sourness is on the higher side of medium. UP next comes the yeast and oak which seem to show up at the same time and impart a funky oak flavor with malts showing up towards the end and lingering into the aftertaste taste along with a little bit of sourness and some berry and cherry flavors. This is a good tasting beer, it has pretty much everything that I look for in the style and it doesn't have any off flavors.

M- Pretty smooth, a little refreshing, slightly acidic, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had everything that I look for in the style and while it isn't a favorite of the style, it pretty good in every aspect and when it comes down to it I enjoyed drinking it. This beer had nice drinkability, it was pretty smooth, a little refreshing, slightly acidic, crisp, not too filling and the taste does a nice job at holding my attention, half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, but because it isn't too acidic I wouldn't rule out drinking the full bottle. What I like the most about this beer was that it was just a tasty and good example of the style. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have a little more complexity, I think the separates it from some of the better sours. I would buy this beer again, I already got one for the cellar and I wouldn't mind getting another one. I would recommend this beer, especially if you like sours. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was a little impressed that New Holland could make a beer like this and keep it under $10 a bottle, there's hardly any breweries that can do that and I respect them for that. It's one of the better New Holland beers I've had and I would say it'a above average for the style. Good job guys, this was one tasty and affordable sour, keep up the good work.

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear brown

Aroma/Flavor: Heavy oak over complex tartness and hints of blueberries and toast.

Mouthfeel: Medium + bodied.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I thought this was a pretty good beer.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.55/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

On Tap. Nice fruit and sour balance with a little complexity.

3.37/5  rDev -12.7%

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Sunday Sour from New Holland Brewing Company