Charkoota Rye - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Smoked Beer |  7.79% ABV

Availability: Fall

Charkoota Rye - Smoked Doppelbock Lager

Charkoota Rye is a Smoked Rye Dopplebock. Charkoota Rye's malty backbone is derived from a blend of rye and four other malts, including malted barley smoked over cherry wood by our very own brewers, John and Jeff.

Its smoke-forward body is balanced with tones of deep mollasses and caramel, with a crisp, clean lager finish.

19° Plato, Alc. 7.75% by Vol.

(Beer added by: Deuane on 01-04-2009)

jhillwastaken, Aug 27, 2012

mncoinman, Monday at 01:18 AM
1.35/5  rDev -62%

With the exception of accidental ingestion of pig manure from my days growing up on the farm, this is the worse thing to EVER touch my tongue.

Flying Pig on the bottle...coincidence? I thinks not!

It looked like a good brew. That nice dark red hue through the glass with a decent head.

It smelled like last night's campfire.

Tasted like last night's campfire too!

bluedragon710, Aug 29, 2011

adamdd, Jan 22, 2013

brystmar, Jan 10, 2012

Holland, Oct 01, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -54.9%

I tried this beer at a tasting and after one pour I realized that this in fact was the worst beer I have ever had. It lo oks promising and pours a nice thick black with a decent head but the taste is just awful. I don't like bacon amd that's all I could taste. I ended up not even finishing my taste because it turned my stomach. I live new holland but this is something I would not recommend to anyone.

beerhan, Oct 03, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -54.9%

Was interested in trying another beer with Rye so decided on this, boy was that a mistake.

A - dark amber, thin brown head

S - Like bacon, not in a good way

T - I don't understand why I finished this, I guess because I felt ashamed for paying as much as I did for it

M - Average mouthfeel, I guess you can't mess that up too bad.

D - I mean, unless you're the kind of weirdo that actually wants to DRINK things that taste like bacon this is not drinkable at all.

cantloveemall, Mar 30, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -54.1%

Appearance:

Tonight I decided to use my old throw back imperial pint glass which should be a great vessel for this special ale. As I pulled the black cap of the painted bomber bottle I was greeted with a slight almost nonexistent hissing noise and a slight whiff of the smokey lager. I decided to be careful and pour slowly with a generous tilt on my glass because I want at least a two finger thick head without flooding my whole glass with foam. As I rocked the bottle back I was let down and only left with a thin layer of head that laid on the top of the dark ruby red ale. When I hold my glass up to the light there are just loads of amber and red hues coming through the crystal clear lager that also has a nice steady stream of tiny bubbles floating upwards.

Smell:

Oh jeez, right of the start I am getting something medicinal that has a tiny amount of rubber thrown in. (My wife even said it reminded her of Vick's throat spray) Once you can get past the off aromas there is a boat load of smoke and caramel sweetness that is finished clean with minimal to no sulfur notes that are often produced from lagering beer. I can just picture myself sitting next to a campfire taking a big whiff of the heavy woody smoke aroma combined with earthy notes around the fire, which makes me want to go camping.

Taste:

Yikes, this taste terrible. I typically enjoy all different types of smoked beers but this one is bad. Right of the start I am getting a huge rubber glove taste that reminds me of going to the dentist, followed by ashy smoke infused moss or dirt. There is a huge wood flavor that is smoothed out by the brown sugar and caramel notes which is the best part of the taste. Did you ever add the liquid smoke to any type of gravy or sauce you made? Well, this is exactly what it taste like complimented by some of the malty base beer. I feel a drain pour coming on....

Drinkability:

Well you win some and you loose some, and this time I guess I lost. Even though this was a beer that I ended up throwing down the drain I'm not going to judge the brewery. I have had quite a few of their beers and I was really happy with them and this was the first one that was off putting. I would say that if you get a chance to try some of their other stuff , go for it because they are amazing. As far as this beer goes, I'd take it with caution. Maybe you might like it and maybe you will not but hey that's part of the fun of experimenting.

Bmoyer0301, Nov 10, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

mrebeka, Jun 08, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -46.5%

Bottle poured into a Narke glass...Pours a super dark maghongy, bordering on an a purple eggplant, but weirdly see through, sorta. Intriguing look. A light tan head rises about two fingers, falling quickly to a half a cap. Light lacing...Aroma is mostly smoke but not done a good way at all, all charred ash. A little rye and pork, just too mush ash, like I just entered a burnt down house. Alcohol is oddly present and strong on the finish...The taste is one of the most horrible things I've ever had. Charred ask, sugar plums, rye and sugar combine terribly...Medium feel with an unfortunately lasting taste...This is not drinkable.

SKIP SKIP SKIP

jrallen34, Jan 15, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -45.6%

I picked up a 22 oz. bomber at an area Binny's. I was excited to try something new (or at least new to me) from one of my favorite brewers - New Holland.

Loved the flying pig on the bottle ... it poured dark & inviting into a pint glass ... the aroma wasn't very strong but seemed "ok".

First sips can be deceiving ... even a second sip can fail to reveal what a brew can truly offer. So I went for a third taste, and unfortunately Charkoota Rye was my first dissapointment from New Holland.

At first, it exhibits fairly typical dopplebock flavors, then a mild touch of sweetness glances over the tongue ... and then that's where things went south. The smoke flavor was almost chemical-like - harsh, caustic, synthetic. The finish was dry & somewhat spicy but mainly tasted like liquid smoke.

The only way I found it somewhat drinkable was by drinking it along with eating fatty fried chicken thighs. The richness of the dark meat & fat mellowed the harsh smoke flavor from this beer. IMO this would be great for marinating pork, or if you're inclined to drink it be sure to have something to eat along with it that has deep rich flavor. Whether it's cheese or meat, this beer needs something to balance its flavors.

I understand ... smoked beer is an art and it's easy to over-do it. New Holland makes fantastic beers ... but this one is just kinda nasty.

tipnsip, Nov 21, 2009

Sara, Sep 20, 2012

mjmadsen21, Jan 13, 2012

BlissJunkie, Jan 14, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

A- Gentle low head formation. Small retention, low collar formation and little carbonation. Crimson body with some charred paper hints.

S- The smoked body on this is exactly what you'd expect from actually smoking wood in your presence. True campfire smell, that acrid wood smoke that begins to accrue in my nostrils and bring nauseous feelings up. Lots of charred pork notes, not to much sweetness to balance it. Some smells of noxious chemicals like melting plastic as well, could be some spicy rye in there but its very hidden most of the time.

T- Opens sweet bit of malt body, but quickly the overwhelming smoke starts to destroy me. Following that is a pork presence that may have been left in the light and heat of summer. Shaved, mashed, and turned into an extract of hate to be squirted into my mouth via this beer. Finish is predominantly grainy, spicy rye. The finish is actually good after a few seconds of torture.

M/D- This is really, really, really hard to drink. Mild body, low carbonation, a bit syrupy. I find the faster you drink the easier it is to hide the awful burnt, acrid, smoky, rancid pork flavors. I'd never ever ever suggest this out to anyone ever. I've had worse beers, and as it warmed it went from absolutely undrinkable, to just undrinkable. Least it looked average.

Khazadum, Jan 26, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

Appearance:
Dark amber brown with a very clear complexion. Pours little to no head with only a bit of an off white film and no lacing.

Smell:
Overwhelming nose of smoke with a the unmistakable hint of rye and alcohol hidden in the background. Hard to pick out anything else.

Taste:
Again, huge woodsy smoke presence masks most other flavors. There is a bit of caramel sweetness, grain and alcohol but not rounded. Complex but not balanced. Would not immediately classify this as a doppelbock or lager but a rauchbier, which btw has not had a very pleasing representation in my experience. This is better than some I've had, however.

Mouthfeel:
Has a smooth yet fizzy touch. Medium body which is my only indication of the doppelbock style.

Drinkability:
I don't like to be the naysayer on this one (considering other reviewers) but this must indeed be a specialized taste. I don't hate the beer overall but would not likely seek it out again. Had a hard time finishing my third of the shared 22oz bottle.

Comment:
I am a huge fan of New Holland Brewery (creators of my favorite brew - Dragon's Milk) and have tried quite a few of their brews. I bought this beer on brand recognition alone, as I know that I typically don't dig the smoked style. True to form, I still can't get around the smoke. You can't win them all, but NHB still has at least one fan.

CRichardsMN, Oct 30, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

rolandboy, Nov 10, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

As served at the brewery on tap into a clean, clear pint glass during my visit there within the past week. Review from notes of course.

A Dark brown, translucent body with minimal head. 3.5

S Rye, dopplebock dankness, musty, farmhouse smell with some alcohol. 3.5

T Farmhouse taste like the smell of graxing sheep, not good. Grains, yeast conspire to make a very unwelcome taste. I have tasted other dopplebocks that share this unwelcome taste quality but this beer demonstrates it the most severe way. I really like New Holland as a brewery, evidenced by the visit I am making at this time, but this is not a good beer in my opinion. 1.5

M Full with grain tastes, ABV. 3.5

D Not good due to the taste that is not pleasing to me. 2.0

adamette, Oct 19, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

201 vintage. Darker than mahogany, minimal head and retention, no lacing, and not alot of activity. It's thin enough to see through if you look at it with the lighting or angle just right.

Smoke. That's about it.

Smoked malt and malty sweetness with some dark fruit. Mostly smoky. Tad bit of bitterness in the finish.

The feel is probably the best part, and normally the feel isn't a super important element to me. Lightly carbonated, medium body, slightly bitter finish.

My brother bought 2 bottles, and didn't like it. He gave me the other. I like Alaskan Smoked Porter and to a lesser extent Stone Smoked Porter. I'm down with a good smoked beer. But I'd heard some other folks say it was not good, so it took me a couple of years to get around to opening it. It isn't as horrible as one guy told me ("the worst beer I've ever had"), but I think most of it is going down the drain so I can drink something I really like. The smoke is way overdone here (though Alaskan Smoked Porter is very smoky and I love it), and it is almost cloyingly sweet too. I'm not really a drain pour type of guy unless something is infected, but I will be going against my typical tendencies in this case.

sprucetip, Dec 06, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -33%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- The dense brown body glows a slight brownish-red glow when held to the light. There is a thin tan head that fades to a ring quickly.
S- The full aroma of plastic band-aids dominates with some notes of dark brown malt coming through when the beer is warm
T- The taste of big band-aids has a hint of bacon without the sweetness to support it. There is a faint chocolate malt that comes through when my tongue gets used to the band-aid. The finish is watery with a roasted bitterness and faint chocolate note lingering after each sip.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat.
D- I like smoked beers that put some beer flavors with the smoke. This beer is all smoke and all band-aids with other flavors buried. It was tough to get through a full bottle.

rhoadsrage, Dec 02, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -31%

Pours a thick dark red/brown with a finger tan head that leaves sticky lacing down the glass.

Smells like bacon was my first thought. Really malty and smoky aroma. Desirable smells while cooking breakfast, but not for my beer.

Follows the nose. Tons of smokiness and a very malty backbone. Glad I split this, as there is no way I could take down the whole bottle. Not really my cup of tea, but so intense that any more than a few ounces is overpowering.

Nice and sticky. Good carbonation levels.

Not for me. The smoke flavor is way too intensified, making more than a few ounces impossible.

jmarsh123, Oct 12, 2011