Charkoota Rye - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Smoked Beer |  7.79% ABV

Availability: Fall

Charkoota Rye - Smoked Doppelbock Lager

Charkoota Rye is a Smoked Rye Dopplebock. Charkoota Rye's malty backbone is derived from a blend of rye and four other malts, including malted barley smoked over cherry wood by our very own brewers, John and Jeff.

Its smoke-forward body is balanced with tones of deep mollasses and caramel, with a crisp, clean lager finish.

19° Plato, Alc. 7.75% by Vol.

(Beer added by: Deuane on 01-04-2009)
2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

lillitnn92, Dec 10, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

drewone, Dec 08, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

201 vintage. Darker than mahogany, minimal head and retention, no lacing, and not alot of activity. It's thin enough to see through if you look at it with the lighting or angle just right.

Smoke. That's about it.

Smoked malt and malty sweetness with some dark fruit. Mostly smoky. Tad bit of bitterness in the finish.

The feel is probably the best part, and normally the feel isn't a super important element to me. Lightly carbonated, medium body, slightly bitter finish.

My brother bought 2 bottles, and didn't like it. He gave me the other. I like Alaskan Smoked Porter and to a lesser extent Stone Smoked Porter. I'm down with a good smoked beer. But I'd heard some other folks say it was not good, so it took me a couple of years to get around to opening it. It isn't as horrible as one guy told me ("the worst beer I've ever had"), but I think most of it is going down the drain so I can drink something I really like. The smoke is way overdone here (though Alaskan Smoked Porter is very smoky and I love it), and it is almost cloyingly sweet too. I'm not really a drain pour type of guy unless something is infected, but I will be going against my typical tendencies in this case.

sprucetip, Dec 06, 2012

swetsastonic, Oct 14, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

Holland, Oct 01, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bottle - Thanks to slyvain for this one

Appearance - Brown colour with with a an average size fizzy off-white head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, smoke/burnt notes, peat

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, dark fruits, and some smoke/burnt notes. There is also an odd meaty/peat flavour and some rye. It ends with a smokey aftertaste.

Overall - Almost like smoked barleywine taste wise. I'm not a fan of smokey beers.. and this one didn't do anything to change my opinion. Fans of the style will surely enjoy this.

spinrsx, Sep 24, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

deuceduce, Sep 22, 2012

Sara, Sep 20, 2012

jhillwastaken, Aug 27, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Gehrig13, Aug 19, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

Did the brewer hit his mark...YES. Do I love this beer....Not Really. Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass, Charkoota Rye is an amber-brown in the glass, with a thin, off-white head; almost a cola-like appearance. Nose is of sweet, dark, roasty malts; black licorice, molasses, smoked peat, burnt chocolate and coffee are all present. The taste is similar to the nose with the smoky characteristics coming to the forefront. The beer is dry but not terribly acrid with a very thin carbonation. The increased ABV increases the drying effect but doesn't seem quite as high as the 8.4% listed on the bottle. Overall, as drinkable for a beer as strongly flavored and high in alcohol as a beer like this can be.

WoodBrew, Aug 11, 2012

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

amishbooze, Jul 10, 2012

Brewsaic, Jul 08, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -11%

I picked up a bottle of this that had been aged about a year. The beer pours a small head and has mild carbonation. The smokey aroma appears the second you pop the top off. For me the smokey flavor was a bit much but then again I am an IPA lover. Overall this is a good beer, it grew on me as I worked my way though the bottle.

Bottom Line: If you like smoked beers this is right up your alley!

themind, Jul 04, 2012