New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Beastcpa

mattop

03-18-2012 17:30:41 | More by mattop
wampahoofus

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

Beer pours dark brown to black with a decent amount of cream-colored head with good lacing and retention.

Smell gives away the oak right away with sweet toffee / vanilla behind it.

The taste is sweet with a lot of oak and vanilla. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky.

I drank this by a campfire straight from a cooler. It came out of the cooler at around 45F which I think was just about right.

This was a real treat!

07-14-2010 03:54:38 | More by wampahoofus
bdkucharski

4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley.

10-10-2011 02:46:52 | More by bdkucharski
lurpy1

4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

Just a spectacular beer. Dark as night, goes down smooth, with a beautiful bourbon-y finish. Has enough alcohol to kick like a mule, but that's all masked by the smoothness. Probably my imagination, but seems like I can taste the oak cask, and that's a good thing. Great with steak. Unconditionally recommended.

04-15-2011 21:55:02 | More by lurpy1
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.94/5  rDev +24.4%

Loved this beer dark in color mild to medium head. So creamy and yet barrel aged. I couldn't get enough of this beer so lives up to its name. i could drink this beer all day long anywhere at any time. I happened to see where this beer was brewed so that is so freaking awesome kudos to new holland brewing company

11-11-2013 16:54:33 | More by yuenglingfan101
rodneyfaile

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Buy a bottle and pour into a tall glass. If you like dark beer, this will be one of the best beers you will ever have! Only slightly bitter but with a sweet almost fruity/chocolate aftertase. I am not good at descriptions, but I do know what tastes good!

11-24-2008 17:44:49 | More by rodneyfaile
JMC_TM

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

This is probably in my top 3 favorite beers. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC.
It pours a thick, dark onyx with a nice off-white head. The nose gives you lots of chocolate, dark roasted malt, some vanilla oaky notes and just a hint of the alcohol. Each sip helps paint a full picture of this complex Strong Ale. You start off with lots of chocolate that tastes nice and creamy because of the subtle vanilla, and as it warms you start to taste the malt backing it up, along with some oak notes and again just a hint of the alcohol. The lingering finish is of vanilla and chocolate and leaves you wanting more. This is an awesome and dangerously drinkable beer for the 8.5% abv.

03-26-2010 18:34:52 | More by JMC_TM
stevenseg

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

I am not really sure how the Bros got this thing in a 12oz bottle serving, as I have never seen it in any other form than the double deuce seen in the picture. It makes me wonder if they really got to experience what Dragon's Milk is all about. I first tasted this brew at the Michigan Brewers' Guild Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids. I pick up a bottle whenever I come across it as it happens to currently hold the crown for my favorite beer. That said, I am gonna review this thing by the books. I hope I can positively portray what I see in this unique beer to readers and hopefully raise the curve.

An aggressive pour into my mason jar mug produced a 1-inch head consisting of large bubbles which settled into a nice dense 1-finger head. Dragon's Milk is dark and loose rather than the syrupy consistency of most stouts. VERY dark brown, not black. Nice lacing is sticking as the head subsides.

Even being a little stuffed up, I can smell the alcohol coming through like alcohol should in an ale with an 8.5% ABV. Vanilla notes and the tangy characteristic of the oak. By the way, any one saying too much oak flavor doesn't know what oak is supposed to taste like. Dragon's Milk was not brewed in whisky barrels. It's supposed to taste like oak, not whisky. It definitely comes through and is very unique to this stout. Dark roasted malts really meld with the oak for the perfect balance. Let's drink.

I love the alcohol/dark malt/smoky barrel flavor/vanilla hints all mixed together. That is the best way I can describe this. It is not so rich that you can't drink more than one like many stouts are. The oak and paint thinner-like alcohol dominate the back end and the sweet malts hit up front. Obviously Dragon's Milk is not a hop head kind of beer...it's a warm-feeling-inside kind of beer. The oak is in your face...but that's the point, Beer Bros!

I really like the non-syrupy feel of Dragon's Milk. It laces like a weak IPA, but is definitely thinner in consistency and is really pleasantly carbonated.

I drink this think like a cocktail. It has a huge alcohol feel, but not so much of the alcohol content compared to others. Too many and these can take you under, but a bomber on a lazy night is absolutely heaven. Give this thing a chance and enjoy the tastes for what they are supposed to be.

10-02-2009 23:57:49 | More by stevenseg
Jade

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured the 2012 vintage into my brandy snifter.

A - Dark beer, like a stout. I had about 1" light mocha head with a heavy pour.

S - Oh, my! Bourbon, vanilla and dark fruits, maybe raisin.

T - Creamy bourbon barrel flavors. More bourbon than some years. Vanilla and caramalized malts. Like some stouts, but without the coffee or chocolate flavors.

M - Perfect balance and carbonation. Close to a medium stout in mouthfeel. Creamy and wonderful to sip on!

O - Still one of my top 5 beers period! If you like stouts or bourbon barrelled ales at all, give this a shot. The best New Holland brew I've tasted. Maybe the best beer I've tasted. Always available.

12-25-2012 01:11:29 | More by Jade
Pencible

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

This poured much darker than expected, at a nearly opaque dark ruby with almost no head. It smelled very similar to a scotch with strong oak and leather notes, rich caramel malt, and a bit of smoke and alcohol. It tasted like aged and refined oak, light smokey leather, earthy barley and rich caramel malt, along with a bit of vanilla and sour cherry hops. It was somewhat thick with no carbonation, and had a lasting fairly sweet aftertaste. Overall this was one of the most distinguished tasting beers, and definitely one of the best oaked beers I've had. It had an intricate and delicious flavor, that was very clean and drinkable, with good body. I love everything about this beer.

09-04-2008 17:16:48 | More by Pencible
Ahhdball

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

I picked this up at Whole Foods Market for about $7 just becuase of the name. How could i go wrong with Dragon's Milk? The bottle appeared different than the current pictured. It was black with a white dragon and barrel on the front, no date.
Poured smooth and creamy. The color is extremely deep brown with sienna highlights when held to the light. Small 1/2 inch head that left small amounts of slick residue.
I smell vanilla, oak and a hint of whiskey. Small amounts of each which when combined make an extremely interesting aroma. It took me a while to figure it out.
Taste was unbelievable. (GOOD) The oak barrel comes out fairly strong, hints of vanilla, whiskey, and cream. Don't be worried about the whiskey, it hints short and quick at the back of the throat and disappears. Quite an extraordinary flavor, unlike any other strong ale I've tried. Nothing like Arrogant Bastard or GLBC's Nosferatu. A class by itself IMHO.
I gave the feel and drinkability 5's because I could sip this all day or have it with my favorite smoke. It felt creamy smooth and leaves a nice taste.

Very good.

12-29-2005 14:42:54 | More by Ahhdball
Contagion

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

It comes in a 1 pint, 6 fluid ounce bottle. That's a total of 22 ounces for those of you that don't want to do the math themselves. It comes in a brown bottle with the name on it and the picture of a dragon over a barrel, very eye catching. There is also some informative writings about the beer on it.

The beer is a dark coffee color that light doesn't pass through. Very much like Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout. When poured into the glass it forms a nice firm half-inch head tan in color. I've been drinking on this beer for 20 minutes and the residue of the head is still along the edge where the beer and glass meet.

The smell is heavenly. You can smell the oak of the barrel, a hint of bourbon and a hint of vanilla, coffee and malt. The smell itself was enough to make Ktreva want to take a sip, and she doesn't like dark beers. I don't think words can describe the taste, but that won't stop me from trying. The taste is like happiness. Roasted malts with a hint of vanilla and bourbon entice the tongue and mouth. There is a very slight bitterness to it that enhances the flavor. Even Ktreva liked the taste, and she doesn't like many beers. This is a beer to be savored and appreciated, not gulped down to get another. What is even more surprising is that it is High Gravity ale with 9% alcohol by volume. Tasting this beer you would not suspect that at all.

The texture in the mouth is very much like milk. It's extremely smooth and doesn't leave a bad aftertaste. It coats the mouth and throat as it easily passes by in a pleasant way.

I've never had a beer like this before. When I say it's unique, I truly mean it is a one of a kind. This is the type of beer that beer lovers hope to find, and then are disappointed, when after sampling it, they can't find it anymore. It is a bit pricey at $6.99 a bottle, but well worth the price. If you ever get a chance to sample one, you'd be a fool to pass it up. There are only a handful of beers that I've had the pleasure of tasting that goes into my, "Special guest" category, but this is one of them. If I know I'm going to have an avid beer drinker over, I'll make sure to have a couple of bottles of this fine elixir in the house. This would be the 30-year single malt of beers.

03-21-2008 01:14:58 | More by Contagion
McNealc31

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

There are few, if any, brews like New Holland Dragon's Milk. Inky black, with the smell of vanilla, oak, bourbon, and an alcohol burn. Creamy, bitey, bitter. Of all the barrel aged stouts I have had, this one brings the most powerful bourbon punch. Lots of roasted malt and bitter chocolate. The finish is like dry cedar.

Tons of complex, full flavors, and at 10% ABV, tons of alcohol.

An absolute gem!

07-19-2011 00:23:27 | More by McNealc31
mopargoof

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

I heard about this beer at the Blues and Brews festival in Akron last summer but by the time I got to the distributor they were just handing out the last one. I finally saw it in a store over the weekend and bought a couple. This beer is most excellent - probably moved into one of my top five faves so far. Creamy and delicious in a milky kind of way. The only mistake you can make with this beer is only leaving the store with 1.

02-04-2010 06:38:49 | More by mopargoof
Boodoggy

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

12oz bottle into Lost Abbey Tulip.

Dark and inviting, miminal head after a perfect pour good lacing.

S. Oak and peat, oak is strong and up front. It is oak barrell aged and the smell is expected.

T. Wonderful oak and roasted flavor come through hops there but I get more of the malt and an earthly flavor. Alcohol is there to tingle.

M. Full and rich, this is a barrell age stout and to me it taste spot on.

D. Very good. gets better as it warm a bit. Definitely a great beer this time of year and I will be buying more.

12-12-2010 01:53:57 | More by Boodoggy
tyleeis

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance is dark, can't really see through it. Really thin tan head, roughly 1/4 of an inch.

Smells sweet, slight chocolate, and a little booze. Nice waft do bourbon hots the nose.

Taste is sweet, little fruity(raisins), some chocolate, light bitterness and a nice touch of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is nice. Slightly milky with light carbonation, coats your teeth but not too chewy.

Overall it was good, a definite favorite. It's unique and I'll drink it again.

05-26-2014 21:41:09 | More by tyleeis
FightingEntropy

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

The light brown head dissapates quickly over the very dark brown with black highlighted body of the beer. Strong roasted smell wafts up, filling my nose, which doesn't leave over time drinking the beer. The taste has strong caramel notes, malty, with just enough hops and spice to balance the sweet taste. Hint of smoke flavor in it. I've had this beer resently at a festival, and it seemed there to be very young and the smoke/caramel/spice was out of balance, and had not been mellowed by the oak aging. The first time I tried it, my first impression was that it specifically lives up to it's name--it's what I would imagine dragon's milk to be--thick and a little smoke in it. An exceptional beer, even though I seem to be a little high compared to some of my fellow BAs, I drink this beer every chance I get. I'm rating the very excellent bottle I have tonight. I had the same sample at Michigan Brewers Guild as Derek, and it didn't match up to the bottle I had tonight in any way. However, the first sample I had of it at the Autumn Brew Review was spectacular in 2003. If there is a quality control issue as suggested by Malcontent, I hope NH can nail down the issue because the beer is well worth any effort to maintain it in the market. Looking at the review clicked in right after me, Westsidethreat did not drink the same beer I did at all. Too bad. It was great.

08-18-2006 03:47:54 | More by FightingEntropy
KuehneBe

4.78/5  rDev +20.4%

My first and (so far) only 5/5 beer. So I figured it would be a good one with which to start reviewing beer on this site.

Poured into a New Belgium snifter from a 12 fl. oz. bottle.

A - An opaque, deep dark brown that borders on pitch black. Very pleasant looking, creamy head, which disappears rather quickly but leaves a nice creamy surface.

S - Equal parts dark chocolate, malt and "typical" stout, I'd say. A pretty good indication of what's to come.

T - Dear god, this is magical! The strongest flavor is that of gloriously dark and bitter chocolate. I think I am getting a slight hint of coconut, as well, which fits in perfectly. The flavor from the bourbon barrel-aging gives this beer a very nice "woody," almost winey note, the malt mixes very well with the chocolate flavors. The finish slightly hints at both the bourbon and alcohol content, but the sweetness hides the ABV very well.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation, and a nice, full-bodied feel. Very satisfying!

O - I only started drinking stouts recently, but had I heard of this beer sooner, man I would have started much, much earlier! This is divine.

One bottle will last you quite a while, as it is best sipped slowly. I'd recommend drinking it slightly below room temperature. I enjoyed mine with a piece of buttered French bread, which was a fantastic combination.

At $17 for a 4-pack rather spendy, but without a doubt worth it. Best enjoyed on special occasions, and/or shared with a friend.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

12-20-2011 06:56:13 | More by KuehneBe
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company