Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Purchased a bomber while on vacation about six months ago, and it's been sitting in my cellar since then. Thought it was time to crack it open on a Sunday night. Poured into stemmed glassware. Dark brown body, but held to the light, you can see it's extremely dark red. Good head, and nice lacing. Definitely can smell that barrel aging with a good long sniff. Taste was excellent. Robust ale flavor that was complimented even more by the oak. I actually like the use of American oak here instead of a bourbon or whiskey barrel. This beer tasted like an ale aged in a barrel, and not an ale aged in Jack Daniels. The beer flavor stood out, and not the liquor. Quite a nice change of pace from the last couple of barrel aged beers I've sampled. Mellow and easy to drink, tons of flavor. Even my wife liked it a lot. Darn, I wish I had picked up more than just one. Keep your eyes open for this beer.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bottle into my Founders snifter. Bottled was chilled to 35 degree F, just like I like my booze.

Pour: looks great. Nice, black, small tanish head that quickly fades into a small frothy crown then to nothingness.

Smell: much like I was anticipating. Bourbon, slight coffee and chocolate. Smells great! I really like the smell!

Taste: wow! Bourbon up front, getting some booziness (I like it), getting some vanilla, chocolate, and some coffee. Not a lot though. Mainly bourbon. It's good! I have to say a lot better than I was expecting.

Overall: I'd buy again. It's really good! Not quite the best bourbon barrel beer I've had, but by far the easiest to find and cheaper than the limited releases. If you can find this, buy it. It's a good bourbon barrel stout. Don't expect it to be a BCBS. It's a bit thinner, and a touch less refined, but a solid beer.

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Not exactly a daily nor weekly brew, but one helluva good timer.

A - Draft pint came to the table looking like an innocent glass of Coke with a thin lacing of foam.

S - Whiskey all the way. If you're a bourbon fan, this is YOUR beer.

T - Since I like an occasional glass of whiskey/bourbon, this one felt great on the palate. It's as if God himself created this combination of beer and sour mash.

MF - Imagine the smoothest whiskey in the world going down with no "Jim Beam" gag reflexes.

D - Could never play with this one every day, nor every week. but it still comes in as a helluva beer that will be further reserved for special occasions.

Overall, if you don't like a glass of whiskey, stay away. If you like some nice juice on the rocks, try it out.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It is clean and not so sweet, but the oak/bourbon is just right. As it warms the sweetness comes forward a little and some slight fruit even rears it's head. No chocolate or coffee to speak of. Glad I found this beer.

4.26/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage, aged approximately one year in refrigeration.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance- Dark brown, slightly opaque, with a very little head; laces well, with low carbonation.

Aroma- Not overly aromatic, subtle scents of vanilla, roasted malt, and oak present.

Taste- Slightly sweet with toffee, caramel and chocolate on the front end, followed by a nice vanilla and boozy oak finish. Hints of oak and bittersweet chocolate linger.

Mouthfeel- Very nicely balanced, perfect mouthfeel for the style.

Overall- Very enjoyable, perhaps not on the level of some of the more hyped barrel aged selections that are released in limited quantities, but well balanced and available year around. Dragon's Milk has become a staple in my beer fridge due to it's consistency and availability. Highly recommended!

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into tulip.

A: Pours almost pitch black with minimal mocha colored head. I've read that there wasn't much head, so I poured it very strong, but still got less then 1/2 finger.

S: malty, chocolaty, with a hint of bourbon

T: outstanding. I've been exploring bourbon barrel aged beers recently, and this is one of my favorites. Very malty, with hints of chocolate and bourbon. The bourbon factor really comes through in the aftertaste. Leaves an excellent taste in the mouth

M: Thick,light carbonation. Excellent for a nice stout

O: Great beer to sit back and really enjoy. I drank it watching football, but I would love to get a nice medium rare steak to enjoy this with. I only bought one, and I found myself putting off my next beer so that I could keep the taste from this brew around. One of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I've had the pleasure of trying.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Deep dark black hole appearance sucks up all colors and ounce of visible light with a frothy tan head leaves very nice thick lacing all around my pint. Aroma: Great herbal mix with an herbacous highlights upfront oak aromatic with chocolate and coffee highlights. Taste: Flavor depth is incredible the oak flavor highlights this big stout quite nicely. Vanilla stands out among the chocolate, coffee, and herbal hops not bad at all. Mouthfeel: Full body smooth carbonation no hint of the alcohol in the flavor which is good but somewaht dangerous. Drinkability: Wow, so drinkable great blend of flavors here with the oak barrel aging adding to the overall experience very tasty and smooth.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company