Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,285 | Hads: 4,785
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Really nice. A nice barrel aged beer with nice flavor. A little strong on the alcohol taste, wish it had a little more oak flavor (maybe a little longer in the barrel would do!) Nice dark black color, brown head, deep chocolate smell and nice silky mouthfeel. Overall, a really nice drinkable barrel-aged stout!!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this bomber into my 20oz glass. This beer pours black with a nice frothy head that sticks around awhile and leaves some decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt and alcohol. The taste is very dry like dark chocolate with some cherry taste at the end. The taste from the wood is also very prominent and must contribute to the dryness of this beer but not in a good way. The mouthfeel is smooth but a little dry. Drinkability is moderate. I finished the bomber but it certainly did not wow me. Overall I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more when I purchased it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap once and liked it pretty good so I bought a bomber to review. Poured into tulip. Dark brown with only a little light getting through. Even with a fairly aggressive pour, only a small head. Leaves a little lacing. Looks thin like an ale, but expected it to be thicker like a stout.

Slight aroma of roasted malt and chocolate. A hint of bourbon/brandy.

Solid flavor of dark fruit, chocolate, and very sweet. Oak aging apparent.

Good offering but with so many barrel~aged brews available today, this one comes up a little short.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Pours a dark brown color with a very thin tan head. It appears to be thin but that will change your opinion once you drink it.

S - Very sweet toffee flavors with some hints of chocolate and alcohol. Some licorice scents are evident with some dark fruits as well.

T - A lot sweeter than expected. Lots of licorice with toffee and caramel and some chocolate cocoa on the finish.

M - A lot thicker than I expected. The pour just didn't appear that way but when I tried it, it felt like a bubble of thick sweetness resting on my tongue.

D - An interesting balance of flavor with a lot of sweetness. Too sweet to drink a lot of in my opinion but a solid tasting beer.

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours jet black with a really fizzy head that moves on far to quick. Surprising for a imperial stout.

Smell - right away I get a ton of cocoa. Some vanilla and some oak.

Taste - starts off lots of chocolate. Some oak in the middle and finally it finishes with a little more oak and this slight metallic taste everyone has been talking about with this one. Although it's not overwhelming it still is present.

Mouthfeel - it's got that carbonation I was talking about. The alcohol is present in the backend.

Overall - the metallic taste kinda set this one back for me. It's good thought.

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%

I had this on tap before and did not like it. I decided to give it another chance in a bottle.

I poured into a pint glass to a scant tan head. It is dark brown/ black in color. I get dark fruit, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. I get all of those in the taste too. It reminds me of the Bell's Special Double Cream Stout I had last night but not as good. I do get some alcohol as well. Overall, it is better than the draft that I had, but still not that great, good but not great.

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A - Dark Brown. One finger of brown head that quickly became just a few bubbles lingering around the edges.

S - A ton of Bourbon. Oak. Vanilla. I kinda like it. Maybe dial back just a smidge.

T - The alcohol is definitely there. Roasted malts, chocolate, oak.

M - Medium. Creamy. Standard Carbonation.

O - I could smell this beer all day and for that I am a fan. As far as the taste goes I felt it lacked a little bit of complexity and the alcohol was super noticeable.

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into standard pint glass. Bottle purchased from Downtown Wine and Gourmet in Harrisonburg, VA.

A - Very little head, even with an aggressive pour. Not much retention but does show an off-white lacing around the edge of the glass, which fades as I drink. Very dark brown/black, although I see a bit of red reflections in the bottom of the glass when held up to the light.

S - Smells strongly of chocolate, dark fruits/cherry , and a hint of oak. Dark cherry and raisins is what really comes through.

T - Taste follows the nose, although the chocolate and dark fruits come through more than the oak. I also get some raisins and molasses. Works pretty well, although the finish was a bit boozy. Not surprising with the double digit ABV. I would have liked a bit more oak in the flavor.

M - Very smooth. Perfectly carbonated to my liking for the style. Medium bodied and a bit creamy. The mouthfeel is what impresses me most on this beer.

O - Overall, it wasn't bad, but didn't live up to my lofty expectations. It didn't blow me away. I think that I would go back to this one because I don't have trouble getting it, which is rare for a barrel aged stout, but would not prefer it to some of the other barrel aged I have had.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pilsner glass.

Dark, but not black. Thin white head, one finger.

Oversweet vanilla, not hop presence.

Good, a standard in barrel aged stouts. More sweetness than anything else.

Thick, black oil like a good stout should have.

Reliving and old beer, and it works as a drinkin' beer but nothing special.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours dark brown with a light head and not too much lace, but a sufficient amount not to get docked. Nose is nice with notes of oak, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, and some light coffee. The taste doesn't mix these together quite as well, but is still pretty good. Good feel coming from all different directions and quite drinkable for the big beer that it is.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Nice head dies down awfully quickly to a meager lacing. Color is opaque, near black.

S - wood, dark fruit, more wood, vanilla, a little alcohol

T - this is where this beer is best, dark chocolate, vanilla, dried cherry, oak, fairly sweet, pleasantly warm in the finish

M - Not as as thick as I would have liked, and could have benefited from some more carbonation, but that's sometimes a problem with these barrel aged brews.

D - Decent, awfully candy like, and while it doesn't hide the booze it certainly integrates it very well. Could have stood for a body to match the sweetness.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. It was black with very little head but lots of lacing. It poured fairly thick. You could definitely smell oak and vanilla with roasted malts. It was very thick and surprisingly sweet from what I remember from the last time I had it. The malt taste was also overpowered by vanilla. I have to say it was too much. I've read other reviews saying the alcohol was too much, but I didn't think it was too boozy. I had this out with friends before, but this time I drank it at home. I was less impressed with it this time, so it'll be some time before I have it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with ruby colored highlights. The head was three fingers of large bubbles topped with a disk of firm camel colored cap. It actually looked like there was a biscuit floating on top of my beer. Lace started impressively thick.

Smell was toasty caramel malts, sweet dark raisin and buttery toffee. Alcohol was suprisingly well hidden. As it warmed chocolate became more detectable.

Taste was a big and malty front, fruity sweet raisin and alcohol middle, followed by a slight black cherry straight from the tree tartness in the finish.

Medium-heavy body. Velvety creaminess to the mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

I'm not really sure what style classification this one belongs in. It is unique in my experience.
The ABV kept me from from giving it higher drinkability points.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

poured into a pint glass.

an extremely dark brown brew. minimal head.

The first thing you smell on this beer is bourbon. an "oaky" bourbon with a little vanilla.

very malty with a hint of vanilla. then the big bourbon kick at the very end.

a smooth drink, but packs some heat w/ the alcohol. a little burn on the lips and tongue.

IMO, one and you're done. This is a very strong brew. one can understand why you only get a 4 pack. would almost be a chore to have another.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Label gives ABV 9%, 19 Plato and I should expect oak, vanilla, and carmel notes.

Aroma: Warm and inviting blend of vanilla, carmel, creamed coffee, and a touch of some woody, earthy undertones.

Appearance: Inky black and dense. Jet black from edge to edge. A tight, sudsy, and creamy biege cap forms.

Flavor: A lactic twang hits the palate first followed by sweet oak, a brush of vanilla, raisins, a bit of smokiness, and just a touch of tannic astringency. I think there is some Brett-funk going on there too.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation but enough to keep it interesting. Medium bodied and just a touch slick. The lactic acidity lingers after each taste.

Overall impression: Kind of interesting. This is what a wood-aged beer should be. It should accentuate not dominate the characteristics of the beer. That being said, without the wood aging, this would be a pretty one dimensional beer. The wood aging fatigues the palate pretty quickly. Worth a try.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the Extreme Beer Fest on 2/15/08: Hmm, this tasted like a stout to me. I also tasted coffee, raisins, and prunes. There was a background sweetness in the taste. Enjoyable.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%

Kind of a gross name. Can't really see myself sucking on a dragon tit.

The appearance is a dark dark brown to the point of black, with nary a head, only wisps of light brown fizz.

Aroma is a peaty, mossy, smoky burnt malt, that little bit of wort that bubbles over your brewpot and singes in the burner plate.

Wowza. Think this picked up a little of the whisky flavor? Jeezis. Huge alcoholic flavor, burning the tastebuds. Fat dark malt, burnt grain, very grassy and rusty. Dark fruits abound, fig, currants...very deep flavor but insanely unhinged.

Very hot feel, like a shot of alcohol. A little watery for the style.

A loose cannon of a beer that has plenty of redeemable qualities and a good flavor, but is massively unbalanced and wild.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

I've been cellaring this since November, but I heard from a fellow BA that it doesn't cellar well so I decided to drink it now. No "brewed on" date so I have no idea how old it really is. Poured from a 22 ounce brown bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Hard pour produced a 3 finger tan head. An almost black body only has slight ruby hues shining through when it's held to a light. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Mostly alcohol with a fair bit of vanilla as well. The same vanilla aroma that I got from New Holland's Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine and Black Tulip Trippel, which makes me think that perhaps they use the same yeast for all of their "High Gravity Series" beers. I wish that the oak or malts were stronger in the smell, but they just aren't.

Taste: Lots of vanilla, if there was any oak in here before it's gone now. Kind of disappointing because I've had one of these that was fresher and the oak was really noticeable and delicious. Aside from being currently oak-less it still tastes alright and has a very creamy but kinda light mouthfeel to it.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Ehhh. I am disappointed. 1 bottle costed $6, had an epic name/label....and it looked fantastic when I poured it. Beautiful persistent off white head and just about pitch black color. The smell was very mild. What I did smell was mostly bourbon/whiskey. A bit of roasted malt. Taste was a huge let down. Tastes like cough syrup. I don't taste coffee, or chocolate, a bit of bourbon, mostly an artificially flavored dark fruit cough syrup. That was the mouth feel too, like a cough syrup. Disappointed. Won't buy again.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

very drinkable. really heavy on the dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon. sweet aromas, milky. hints of roast. medium to thin feel, not chewy or thick. alcohol is hidden well. good drink for the ABV. flavors aren't really grabbing me this time. I've had better bottles of this, this one's okay

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours very dark, possible red coming through when held up to very bright light. Sort of a light body, with alot of carbonation and alcohol coming through. Mild head light brown to white color. Not much on the oak flavor, age would probably help round out the flavor of this brew for me at least.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A. Dark and black as night. Creamy brown head that leaves nice lace rings all the way down with each sip.

S. Booze, wood, earthy, figs or raisins.

T. Heavy bodied sipper that has a complex blend of smokey and okay ale that takes great flavors from the oak barrels and almost resembles a stout. A bit of s dry finish.

O. Smooth and rich. I had a vintage 2011 so it was in my basement for over a year. I'll be interested to see how different it is if its fresher. Overall very solid and worth a try.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz courtesy of the generous Northertimber.

Poured night black with a head that grew like it was on steroids! I'm not kidding, this head would not quit. I have a 20 oz nonic but I could only get half of this into it without running the risk of having it tumble over the edge. Looks very tasty. I lower my head and take whiff ... white wine? Yep, I'm smelling white wine, a little vanilla and lots of citrusy acidic orange. Very strange. A taste treats me to an almost overpowering white wine taste coupled with vanilla, chocolate, and a very sour taste. Each time I sip I taste something else, a feeling that is very engaging. I'm not wild about the taste of this beer, but it is damned interesting, enough to give it a higher score than I might have just because it lends to serious ponderance. As interesting as it is, a second is not in order.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

I picked up this beer right after finishing the Game of Thrones books. Anything to do with Dragons I'm a fan of.While im not the biggest fan of Oak aged beers, i have to say that this is a good tasting beer.

I would compare this beers blackness coming out of the Bottle like oil found on Jeb Clampetts farm. The beer pours a dark black with a light head.

The first sip is smooth, and at 10% alc its not over powering. It really is something to behold; halfway through the bottle and im already feeling it. But then again im kind of a pussy.

Overall while not being a huge fan of barrel aged stouts i have to say this was pretty impressive.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is Coca-Cola's drunk uncle!... pours a thin caramel color, like coke, has a few wispy bubbles, like coke, smells and tastes like, you guessed it, coke!.... a few cherry notes, a little chocolate, a bit of booze, but really just a bottle of the real thing, with alcohol!

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company