1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,886 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
KBomb

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Dragon's Milk has some admirable color to it: dark ruby brown that almost looks like a syrah. It clings to the glass a little bit. Smell has a hint of cocoa, a little coffee, and roasted malts. Moderate strength ale flavor runs through and through, fine sweetness complimented by a little bit of plumb in the background. Lacking the bourbon flavors one wants in a barrel aged stout. I detect something a little "off" though. There is a bit of astringency that doesn't go well with the oak flavor. Not very heavy considering the style, but not all that palatable.

A high bar has been set for barrel aged imperial stouts. Dragon's Milk just does not live up.

04-30-2009 13:59:11 | More by KBomb
DabblinWiscCraft

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a coffee or cola brown-black with a half inch khaki head that has very tight bubbles and that falls to a lace and leaves decent cling. Bold and robust--somewhat spicy, even--roasted malt notes in the nose. A bit of rye bread, molasses, and more subtle dark chocolate in the mix, as well. The taste has very pronounced, thick, bittersweet molasses up front: It's almost like taking a sip of liquified Good & Plenty candies...well, probably more pleasant than that. Following this is clear alcohol that persists throughout the life of the flavor on the palate. There's a roasted caramel malt flavor--quite bitter--that lingers for some time at the close. There's a vanilla presence, but it takes a backseat to the molasses and caramel. Overall, there's too much medicinal alcohol flavor and bitterness to really enjoy the subtleties of this one. The feel is heavy and dense and far too syrupy for my liking. Though I enjoy higher-density brews, I'd rather not drink beers that are reminiscent of robitussin.

I wanted to like this beer, but that cough syrup quality puts me off every time. I think that less pronounced alcohol flavor would have helped things a lot; but that's certainly a challenge when you're producing a beer with 10% ABV. I can definitely appreciate the little things about Dragon's Milk, but the sum of the parts is certainly a letdown.

08-15-2011 04:19:42 | More by DabblinWiscCraft
kzoobrew

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Color is very dark brown almost black. As others have previously said the style is questionable. While the brew may not be the perfect example of an American strong ale I disagree that it is a stout or porter.(on reconsideration the brew does have some similarities to Breckenridge Vanilla Porter in taste) Luckily beer does not have to fit perfectly in to styles to be enjoyed.

Smell mostly of chocolate/toffee. Light coffee fragrence is also present.

Taste of vanilla and coffee quite strong up front. As the flavor sits you do taste the woodiness in the brew. Although i feel a bourbon barrel may have added a more desirable flavor I don't hate the oak.

Drinks very smooth very light mouth feel for a high abv brew.

I feel another bottle may be necessary to cement my overall opinion about this brew. I will definitely try again, may also buy one to see how it does in the cellar.

05-02-2008 23:07:54 | More by kzoobrew
buyBinboaVodka

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Taken from notes on May 13th.

a-poured into goblet with a very dark roasted coffee color. Almost no head at all with thick choppy lacing around the glass.

s-Smells of dark chocolate, warm vanilla, and roasted malts

t-it does not taste as good as it smells. very strong alcohol presence and vanilla and cocoa notes. The hot alcohol sweetness lets it beknown that it is there at all times.

m-moderate carbonation with a thin bodied feel to it. alcohol throughout the palete.

o-I think this fell a little short of expectations. I had high hopes for this beer and I'm left wanting something else. I will reach for the Poet next time. At least I really enjoy that beer.

06-17-2011 18:44:28 | More by buyBinboaVodka
ebby82

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Pours a black hole like sludge into a tulip glass with barely any head.

The aroma is strongly of coffee and roasted malts. you can also smell the oak.

The taste is intense. It overwhelms the senses with a very alcoholic taste. Also the presence of oak, vanilla, and coffee.

Overall, I think this is just a little too boozy and or wood flavored. I think a year or so of aging would mellow it out.

06-26-2011 00:07:07 | More by ebby82
paperbackfoster

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Serving: 12oz bottle, poured into snifter.

A disclaimer: Right off the bat, I'd strongly argue that this beer is more of a barleywine than a stout. I can see the argument for an American strong ale as well, but I find so much in common with a barleywine that it's hard for me not to evaluate on those standards.

Dragon's Milk pours a dark, near-black pour with no head. A shimmering, cocoa-powder ring of carbonation appears as a late bloomer, creeping up the very top edges of the beer.

One sniff reveals the esters (more on that later), a vanilla bean sweetness and toasty malts.

This beer is incredibly sharp up front, the roasted malts hitting immediately. The body is intense, full of dark fruit notes - prune, plum, fig, and raisin all come to mind. The hops ride in right along the notes from the oak barrel aging, a woody, resinous palette. The finish is almost like drinking brandy - hot, alcoholic, but carrying the lingering notes of all flavors that came before.

Mouthfeel is big, full, round. A booze stew.

Dragon’s Milk makes for a fine sipping brew, enjoyed like a fine scotch. I also have no doubt that this beer will age nicely. That said, I find it occasionally overpowering. The esters give you a nice menopausal hot flash on the way down, a sharp edge that usually seems rounded out to me. I almost find the flavors to be numbing - drink this after dinner, not alongside. Again, I strongly argue that this doesn't fit the same niche that a strong ale or stout would fall under for me. The body is too fruity for another style (savory as it may be) and the alcohol content is far more noticeable than stouts of similar ABV, as well as all I've said before.

08-19-2011 04:16:40 | More by paperbackfoster
deg

New Hampshire

3.23/5  rDev -18%

The beer is a good dark color. Brown. Unfortunately, there's not much of a head or carbonation. I can't quite make out what I smell, it's too faint for my messed up nose. I liked the initial taste, chocolate and a hint of something else. I was reminded of bourbon. I get an alcohol like aftertaste which I didn't like much. The mouth feel is nice and creamy.

09-20-2011 01:11:45 | More by deg
Cisco619

3.23/5  rDev -18%

12 oz bottle poured into Weyerbacher tulip glass. Bottle reads "Vintage 2011" Thanks to DaveHack for the bottle.

A: Deep reddish brown with a half finger of khaki colored head that vanishes to a thin filmy cap that lingers on the roof of the beer.

S: Bourbon greets the nose followed by bakers chocolate & a hint of chocolate. A nice, roasted malt aroma rounds out the nose.

T: Follows the nose, tastes of the barrel alot. Over powers the base beer. Akin to drinking a whiskey. Slight roasted malt flavor, but definitely strong barrel flavor.

M: A little watery for something that has so much essence of the barrel. A little tingle from the carbonation greets the tongue. Ends dry with a bit of an alcohol burn.

O: Great hints of barrel, but lacking in some area. Great aroma. Drinks a little hot. I wonder how this will be drinking in a year or two.

10-12-2011 05:36:24 | More by Cisco619
hckyfn9999

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Not much head from this cola colored liquid. Light tan colored head and it disappears relatively quickly and no lacing. Aroma is of spicy oak, vanilla, caramel, dark fruit, a little cocoa powder, and a touch of booze.

Taste is not as promising as the nose delviered. A bit of a wine like sour. The oak kind of adds to the wine like flavor. The oak is a bit spicy and a little to dominant in my opinion. There is a bit of cocoa and a dry fruitiness. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy although a little thin.

08-07-2008 01:31:21 | More by hckyfn9999
yeahnatenelson

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance -- Deep, impenetrable brown. The slimmest margin of khaki head on the pour that quickly ran to the walls of the glass.

Smell -- Oak, vanilla, toffee, cocoa powder, faint smoke and charcoal. Overall, sweet and rich.

Taste - Oak, chocolate chip cookie dough, toast, alcohol presence, some charcoal in the finish. Lingering flavor of oak and vanilla extract.

Mouthfeel -- On the heavy side of medium-bodied, but not motor oil either. Carbonation is moderate, perhaps a little heavy for the style. Sharp alcohol bite in the finish. Warmth in the throat is noticed almost immediately.

Drinkability -- Very rich. Perhaps it's the vanilla paired with the chocolate malt and the strong oakiness, but this came off as quite sweet to me (see: chocolate chip cookie dough); more charred and acrid notes would've done well to balance the flavor.

If you've never had a barrel-aged beer and are interested to see what the fuss is about, this is probably a good place to start.

03-15-2010 00:07:45 | More by yeahnatenelson
Prostman81

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

I didn't read any of the reviews before drinking this beer, but going back now and looking, I have to say I'm quite surprised at some of the comments.

I appreciate that this beer is black but not opaque. It has a very nice aroma to it, having exactly what I'd expect for such a beer.

The taste is really what brings this down for me. After an initial taste of some slight coffee, oak, and vanilla tones, the alcohol slams the tongue and kills whatever other complexity might be there. After I had 1/2 the beer, I could've sworn I was actually drinking straight bourbon. I kept sipping gently, hoping that I'd get used to it, but the alcohol was there to the very end.

Interesting to try, but the extreme obviousness of the alcohol just ends this one for me. I enjoy beers that were crafted to employ the alchohol as a compliment to the other flavors, not just a one-sided blitzkreig on the tongue. If this WAS to be an alcohol assault from the brewer's perspective, then they did it quite well. I won't be trying this again though.

05-19-2011 17:11:35 | More by Prostman81
MCDuhamel

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip. Dark brown, not quite black, mostly opaque beer, with a beige head that fades to a ring pretty quickly. The nose is oak, some spiciness, and vanilla, all of which are present in the flavor as well. There's also a slight metallic note in the flavor, maybe some oxidation, that is a little distracting, and the alcohol is clearly evident though not hot. The beer finishes with a caramel sweetness that leaves it just shy of cloying, with a hint of cocoa at the very end. Somehow the beer never seems to come completely together; certainly a decent brew, but by no means outstanding.

04-04-2012 23:50:18 | More by MCDuhamel
EricCioe

Montana

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

This pours very dark brown with brown highlights, not much head. On the nose there are powerful notes of alcohol, vanilla, raisins, and sugar. In the mouth the sweetness is overwhelming, hardly any roasted malt or hops to balance the sweetness. The booze heat makes for a nice long finish, though the body is too sticky for me.

Overall, this is probably a bit too sweet and the bourbon doesn't really integrate all that well. Also I'm not convinced this is a stout, more like an imperial brown or old ale.

04-15-2012 20:09:06 | More by EricCioe
moulefrite

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Strong and black like a good cup of coffee. Little head, but a tad bit of sticky matter does cling to the glass. Aromas are at once of wood, with butter, roasted coffee and creamy chocolate in the background. The mouthfeel is quite lush. The carbonation is rather mild. Flavors run fairly deep, yet come back always to the wood-like a dry sauna at times. Some bitter chocolate/cherry like flavors are to be had, as well as strong, bitter chicory notes and malted milk. This is an interesting drink, yet I feel it is perhaps over-oaked? Try it if you see it, especially on a cold Winters night.

12-17-2003 02:01:30 | More by moulefrite
billyzoom666

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature. This thing just looks ominous. It's a dark, dark amber color with just the lightest tint of red around the edges. You can smell the roast malt from across the room. Very "bourbony" smelling up close. Maybe it's the oak barrels. A bit too strong for my liking. This definitely has an interesting taste. There's a huge alcohol bite throughout. This is like sipping a tumbler of Jim Beam Rye. No doubt that this is a one and done for me. Overpowering, but good. I like stuff with a little less ABV, but I'm glad I tried this.

05-19-2010 01:59:17 | More by billyzoom666
mscudder

Georgia

Into a snifter.

A - Deep hue with a thin tan head. Fair lacing and retention.

S - A bit odd with this mixture here... Effort reveals a mix of vanilla, sweet malts, chocolate, bourbon, light oak and some dark fruits. Generally a brew like this is more robust. Oh well.

T - Tart for a stout. I feel it leads into a wealth of other flavors, just setting them up poorly. The flavors are equal to those in the nose, all complex and balanced. The initial tartness just kills it for me.

M - A large medium body that is silky smooth. Less than moderate carbonation.

O - This one had some hype from a few well versed friends. Sadly, this one disappoints.

12-19-2012 03:00:06 | More by mscudder
redmosquito

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a ruby brown with a beige head that left lace along the edge of the glass. Aroma is a blend of coffee, rich toasted malt and oak. Flavor is similar, sweet, oaky, slightly tart, with a whiskey finish as it warms. The body is okay, not as big as I would have expected. Overall, this was a nice experience, but I found myself slightly disappointed (New Holland makes some of the best beers in the Midwest).

04-19-2005 21:25:45 | More by redmosquito
blackie

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

appearance: Thin khaki head, the beer itself is blackish with some red hues escaping.

smell: This beer smells really wierd, seems to share alot of characteristics with the darker red wines. I smell tannins, and what I think are tart cherry and blackberry notes. Slight roasted aromas. Definately some oakiness in there. Not many hops that I can pick up on, and the slightest tinge of alcohol.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is almost high and the body on the heavier side of light.

taste: I am picking up on some tart cherry-like flavors, and an almost lambic like sourness. Is this a bad bottle? Hard to differentiate between any hop bitterness that may be present and the astringency. Slight roasted, coffee like flavors. Obvious oak characteristics are present, too much so. Aftertaste is sour with an almost chalky feeling left in the mouth, and just a tiny hint of cocoa on the senses.

Thanks dirtylou for the two bottles. This bottle has been in the cellar since June, and I think I am going to have to keep the other in there until then next year to see if there is any improvement. At this point, it is a strange, slightly offensive beer. I started at cellar temperature of 50 Fahrenheit and the beer definately got better as it became even warmer, almost to room temperature. The more I drank, the better it tasted.

10-11-2005 05:23:23 | More by blackie
karengarys

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

This pours dark brown (almost black) leaving a ring of foam around the glass from my slow pour.

Smells of carmel and sweet alcohol.

Taste includes an odd balance of sour, like strange sour, wet ashes, sweet alcohol, and a slight hop bite. But - the most unusual flavor is a bite like you get in a cup of chai-spice tea... ...and that stands out quite a bit...

I can't decide if I like this or not, a lot of odd things are going on in many different directions. most of these are good, but it is... wierd. I rated this a 3 in taste - it has tastes that exceed that, and lots of character, flavor and taste - but it is too all-over-the-place to consider it superb.

Mouthfeel is creamy, but slightly wet. I am not a fan of a wet mouthfeel.

Finish is a bit astringent, with a ashes-like flavor left behind along with a bit of sour.

This is worth at least trying. It is very interesting and unusual. If you see it, DON'T pass it up. I've not had anything like it. I'm not sure I want more, but i am very glad I tried it.

09-30-2006 00:29:05 | More by karengarys
wedge

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Dark reddish color with a thin, creamy tan head that's gone before the end of the glass. Dark, sticky, malty aromas...vanilla, toffee, and chocolate cake. Lots of sweet dark flavor. Brown sugar, chocolate, syrup...everything sweet. Oakiness. Full body, smooth and heavy feeling. One glass is enough for me. Good with dessert maybe.

06-23-2008 05:27:45 | More by wedge
Anthony1

Colorado

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

A clear but very dark brown colored ale with a wispy light brown head. This is easily as dark as a porter.

The smell is sweet and boozy with lots of oak and malt and a trace of Bourbon whiskey. Vanilla, oak and caramel are all in here, so pretty much bourbon.

The taste starts semi sweet and malty with a strong vanilla flavor with a bit of a chocolate after taste. A bit malty but the oak barrel dominates the taste of this beer and it is mostly vanilla and caramel. This could be more complex.

09-28-2010 16:24:47 | More by Anthony1
MrDanno96

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Pours pitch black with about a finger of fluffy off-white head.

S: Strong aromas of oak, vanilla, and alcohol - the oak barrel really stands out on the nose. Hints of chocolate and caramel in the background.

T: The flavor is dominated almost exclusively by the oak barrel characteristics. It's very hot with lots of bourbon and vanilla flavor throughout. The vanilla becomes almost cloying in the finish. As the brew warms, it gains a little dark chocolate bitterness and balances out somewhat. Overall, however, the flavor is too unbalanced.

M: Full bodied with slight carbonation and very hot.

D: I suppose it makes sense that "Dragon's Milk" is hot and burning - but I'm not a dragon and need more balance than what this brew has to offer.

10-19-2010 15:31:39 | More by MrDanno96
mooselvlt

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. About a fingers worth of copper foam which quickly dissipates.

A - Deep mahogony color. Copper head quickly dissipated and the brew leaves very little lacing

S - Hmm....a little more booze in the nose than I expected. Some oak mixed in but predominately smells of bourbon.

T -Taste is boozy right up front, with subtle hints of vanilla and perhaps a little chocolate.

M - Probably my favorite aspect of this one. Smooth and somewhat rich but not thick. More of a medium type feel. Satisfying

O - Not quite what I expected. Its pretty smooth, drinkable. Not overpowering for a 10.0%. I have mixed feelings about it but its a good one. Lingers on the tongue but not in a bad way. At $14 for a 4 pack....doubt I will go out of my way to do this one again though

05-21-2011 06:23:47 | More by mooselvlt
winomark

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a deep dark brown with a bit of reddish hues. Aromas of vanilla and smoke, with noticable alcohol sweetness. Vanilla and oaky tones control a mild palate. Again, the alcohol adds sweetness and some thickness. Dark, toasty malt, but not too strong. Coating mouthfeel, but with a mild, lingering finish. A pleasant beer, IMO. Oak and vanilla add a nice complexity to an otherwise ordinary brew. Still, worth a try.

12-12-2004 15:46:34 | More by winomark
tigernipples

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

22Oz, 2010 Vintage.

First Impression is that it seems a bit thin for a stout. Alot of carbonation, some dark fruits and malts in the nose with some vanilla notes popping through as well. I'm not picking up the typical coffee and chocolate characteristics. Nothing special so far in the looks and nose.
lets taste this...Being brewed in oak, there is not much vanilla i'm picking up. Malts are up front. Again, not much coffee/chocolate going on. This is called Dragon's Milk and there is a milky aspect to this, almost a creamy mouthfeel to it. It is a bit thin in the mouthfeel though. I tend to like to know I'm drinking my stouts and want a chewy mouth to it.
Overall, its not bad. bought a pretty cheap at $7.99 a bomber. I wouldnt go out of my way to get this but would drink it again if i was craving a stout fix and options were limited.

02-14-2011 04:39:41 | More by tigernipples
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company