2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,909 | Reviews: 1,092 | Show All Ratings:
MikeWard

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. 2013 vintage.

Poured what appeared to be inky black, but when held up to the lamp, some reddish and burgundy tones. 1 + finger of thick oatmeal colored head. Did disspiate somewhat, but retained as an at least covering all the way down. Not agreat deal of lacing.

Aroma was mostly of vanilla and bourbon, neither particularly strong, with a faint chocolate mixed in. Very appealing.

This tastes excellent. The bourbon is ever present, but not overwhelming. The vanilla gives a delicious sweetness. This beer is perfectly balanced.

Mouth is full, and rolls around the tongue, which definitely savors the flavor. Although you get the bourbon, it is extremely drinkable for a 10.0abv, but must be respected with some restraint.

Have had this beer several times, and it's always a great choice. This was the beer that turned me around on BBA stouts, as first tries from other breweries were very bourbon heavy. This one acchieves a wonderful balance. Thoroughly reccomend it.

10-05-2013 05:21:41 | More by MikeWard
bashiba

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured a very dark black with slight ruby highlights and a thin dark tan head.

Smell is sweet with hints of vanilla, bourban, chocolate and alcohol.

Taste is a very nice and smooth with tons of complexity here. Hints of smoke, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, with a nice burnt malty flavor. Very bourban like and delicious.

Mouthfeel is super creamy and lush with a nice bit of warming.

Drinkability is great on this fantastic beer.

01-11-2006 01:02:08 | More by bashiba
pmcadamis

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

I tried this at Lunar in the 'burbs while celebrating my bachelor party. It came to me in a 9 oz snifter.

A - Black as tar with a dark brown creamy head that shows really nice retention and leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S - Dark and creamy to my nose, this is full of dark chocolate candy notes and strangely enough I smell peanut butter.

T - Rich chocolatey ovaltine! This is sweet and chocolatey with some nice supporting hops. Tasty as hell. This is like drinking Hershey's dark chocolate syrup straight up.

M - As full bodied as motor oil, this is creamy, silky, smooth, and really thick.

D - Outstanding! This is a killer beer! I love the name, the high ABV is nice, and the flavors are damn tasty.

04-28-2008 00:07:37 | More by pmcadamis
Heferwiezer

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

1/2 inch centimeter head. dense and creamy. dark mahogany color with ruby highlights.

bourbon and dark fruits on the nose.a little bit of sweet chocolate.

taste, initial hit of bourbon and chocolate. smooth after taste of oak, vanilla and alcohol.

super creamy mouth feel- like butta. not too thin not to sticky, carbonation is spot on.

03-08-2010 04:29:16 | More by Heferwiezer
madamebeer

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance- Flows out with a nice dark caramel tint, has almost no head, but leaves a small lingering ring along the edge of the glass

Smell- very malty with a hint of oak, sweet with a tinge of the bite of alcohol

Taste- Surprisingy sweet and malty with yet again that bite of alcohol. but it isn't in anyway unpleasant. It has an aftertaste of chocolately blis

Mouthfeel- the only thing i don't like about about this beer is the dry feeling it leaves in my mouth. But otherwise it is very smooth and goes down like a dream

11-16-2010 20:04:38 | More by madamebeer
WankelEngine

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: This beer is dark, nearly black with hints of red when held up to a light. The head is foamy and light tan in color.

S: The smell is very rich and very heavy on the sweet malts. There are hints of coffee and nuts. It almost reminds me of a hazelnut cappuccino. Notes of oak give this beer the sickly sweet sensation in your nostrils that you get from a good whiff of brandy.

T: The taste is as rich as the smell. Coffee, hazelnut, and caramel are all prominent flavors. There is a delicious smoked flavor from the oak barrel aging. All of this is supported by the potent malt backbone.

M: Thick, creamy and heavy.

O: I reviewed the 2011 vintage. You can hardly taste the high alcohol content over the creaminess and the smoky sweet flavors. This beer is definitely a sipper.

04-07-2011 03:38:43 | More by WankelEngine
Badbobx

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a deep brown with a slight head leaving little or no lacing.
The aroma is an intensely engaging boozy malt with tones of chocolate and coffee.
The taste is rich with tones of raisins, bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, and alcohol. Very smooth to drink for an intense beer. I am letting this warm a bit to enhance the flavor.
The mouthfeel is wonderful. A large round flavor, a bit like drinking a fine whiskey.
Overall this is a marvelous beer that I would drink again. To me the mouthfeel was the big hit.

08-17-2011 01:56:28 | More by Badbobx
spitInTheOcean

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

beer is black with ruby highlights. opaque. brown head. fair retention. fair lacing.

smells like vanilla. sherry. oak. caramel and toffee malts. some slight alcohol. some floral hop aroma too.

taste is very sweet upfront. flavors of vanilla and oak, roasted malts, coffee chocolate, toffee, caramel. some hop and roasted malts bitterness in the finish to try and take some of the edge off the sweetness of this beer, but it is still sweet throughout and lingering after the finish. flavor of alcohol grows and remains unmistakable.

full mouthfeel. soft carbonation. very wet/sweet.

this beer should definitely be aged. very good. very big. definitely a sipper/ dessert beer.

12-22-2011 05:12:55 | More by spitInTheOcean
Lemke10

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a single 22oz bottle of this from Woodman’s in Janesville, WI in summer 2012.

Pours a very dark brown/black color with a thin light brown head. Fantastic roasted scent that is heavy with roasted malts, oak, and vanilla. Texture is smooth and creamy. A great overall taste as bold roasted flavor hint your taste buds teasing with vanilla, coffee, and toffee hints. So complex and so delicious. To me this is like a more readily available version of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. A great brew on a cold night.

09-29-2012 05:06:45 | More by Lemke10
RyanWilliamShields

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love strong brew. I love stouts. With that said Dragons Milk from New Holland is one of the best that fits into both of those categories. It starts malty and strong, then bites so good! It has a dry mocha finish. A great bomber pick up on a cold night! Cheers!

01-16-2013 19:14:43 | More by RyanWilliamShields
BanjinTsuki

West Virginia

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

My first bourbon barrel stout left me a changed man.

I hesitate while writing this review as the Dragon's Milk is my first bourbon barrel stout brew. But I was so impressed with it I felt I must let the world know how wonderful it is. Shame on me, if a bro came along to read the reviews of Dragon's Milk to see if it is worth a quaff, and I was silent. A well tapped draft Guinness might be the best beer, but a bottle Dragon's Milk beats out a bottled Guinness, especially when you want the extra punch brought by 10% ABV. For some reason they call this a oak barrel ale, but it really feels and tastes more like a stout.

Appearance - For a dark beer lover, this is one pretty beer. Dark chocolate in color, with a nice two finger foam when presented. I was at a restaurant, so I didn't get to see it from the bottle, but the waitress poured it well. The creamy looking foam reduced quickly and didn't leave much of a lace, but I wonder if that has to do with the devil's cut of bourbon residing it its midst.

Smell - Strong roasted Oak with a nice tone of malt and a hint vanilla all blanketed in a strong whiskey overtone. Everyone seems to smell chocolate, but I've got a good sniffer and I didn't quite detect it. Not saying they're wrong, it just didn't hit me with chocolate. I wonder if a draft version has more coffee and chocolate balanced flavor.

Taste - Oak. For a once-upon-a-time saxophone player, the oak was almost heavenly. Imagine a shot of oaken-laced bourbon tamed by malt and vanilla and you've got a good idea of the taste.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated (a little too much for my liking, but not so much for a bad score) followed by a bourbon-smooth finish (the dragon's fire, I suppose) that ran to about mid throat. The carbonation lightened the body a bit and yielded a medium body feel. The bourbon kick and aroma definitely cleans the palate!

Overall - excellent. It certainly makes me want to try other bourbon barrel stouts to see how they stack up to this bar-setter. I'll be looking to see if this brew is available in my area. In fact, I'll be running out to see as soon as my wife gets home.

Your bro in brew,
Banjin Tsuki

06-08-2013 16:40:11 | More by BanjinTsuki
Winter

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours near black in color with garnet highlights near the bottom of the pint. Creamy brown head flattens to the surface of the body. A quick swirl revives it. Aroma consists of milk chocolate, roasted malt, barley and cream. As the ale warms a vanilla-like sweetness and just a hint of alcohol can be detected. Lovely full-bodied mouthfeel that's velvety smooth. Initial flavors consists of chocolate, rich malt and grain (barley). A slight hop bitterness cracks near the back of the tongue and breaks up the sweetness. The finish has hints of oak, vanilla and a ghost-like milk chocolate taste.

The alcohol is undetectable and Dragon's Milk is unbelievably smooth and drinkable for its 10% abv. Flavors from the oak aging are not quite as complex as I expected. I thought there'd be a greater presence of bourbon in the flavor profile, but I didn't pick up on that. Nonetheless, this is an awesome brew.

12-24-2003 14:52:38 | More by Winter
stouty1

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Dragon's Milk poured a dark black with a deep ruby tint. Poured from a 750mL bottle into my snifter created a 1 inch head caramel in color. Leaves a nice creamy film along the side of the glass as it's inbibed.

Dark choclatey flavor with a hint of Bourbon. You can definitely taste the alcohol but, definitely not over powering. Leaves a nice malty aftertaste on the back of your tongue with a hint of something sweet. I am definitely enjoying this Stout and will get back to the store for more!

01-12-2006 01:46:12 | More by stouty1
becktone

From notes 11-8-08

Eye: Unfortunately this one lacks when it comes to the eyes. Nice deep red in color when light passes through it, dark ruby, otherwise it is a very dark brown. Head is non-existant. No lacing, bad head formation to begin with. 3

Nose: First thing I notice is the hugely complex boquet of aromas going on in this beer. Deep malt profile accented by notes from the bourbon barrels that this beer was aged in. Vanilla is upfront with some hints of coconut as well. An overall soft tone permeates the beer, a nice mellow, warm oakiness. Caramel is also present, giving rise to some malt aromas that work in conjunction with the bourbon aromas. Maybe some soft chocolate tones in the background as well.

Tongue: Really cool beer. Lots of flavor going on here. First thing I got was a smack of chocolate on the tongue, then some of the bourbon notes-vanilla and some oakiness. Really nice soft toffee and caramelly flavor weaves its way in there, inbetween chocolate and bourbon flavors. I'm almost tempted to claim that there is some lactose in there, the beer has a real smooth character and has some flavors that are associated with the addition of lactose. Alcohol is well hidden. Leaves the mouth with some oaky flavors. This is a real nice complex well rounded brew. Every sip brings something new out in the flavor, right now I'm getting strong bourbon notes-the buttery, warm vanilla like flavors of bourbon are playing in my mouth giving this beer an extremely long lasting flavor. This is by far the best beer that makes use of a bourbon barrel that I've had...and yes I think that it is better than Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island, there's just so much more bourbon here.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Extremely smooth on the palate and easy to drink. Sure I don't think that I'd quaff this, its definitely a sipper...It'd be great to warm up with on a cold winter night. Body is full and heavy, creamy with a velvet like smoothness. Carbonation is at a perfect level, low so as not to interfere with the smooth body. This is one that I'll definitely recommend to anyone. This is one I can easily see myself buying again.

11-09-2008 17:47:11 | More by becktone
sonicdescent

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A very good looking beer, purchased from Vintage Estate in Boardman, though we do get it here, it was a hell of a lot cheaper there. Pours a thin looking but very dark red, may look black without light. the head is frothy and resilient, an eggshell white.

Scent is of wood over roasted malt, chocolate. Very stouty, which isn't a bad thing at all. Reminds me of a maltier Old Viscosity. Vanilla makes an appearance.

Taste actually reminds me of Old Vis as well. Can't say thats a bad thing. Vanilla, wood, smoke, tobacco, roasty malt, chocolate. Very good brew, and goes down quite easy with a little warmth at the end. The mouth is somewhere in the middle in body, but damn the carbonation is just right. This is an excellent beer.

I will be buying some more of these. Even at a B plus, this is underrated here.

05-13-2009 02:32:24 | More by sonicdescent
adamette

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a bomber into a clean, clear pint glass. Purchased at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor, Ohio for $7.99. No observed "best by" date but I am not sure that it matters.

A 2.5 inch light brown head over a dark but translucent dark maroon, brown body. I poured vigorously to try to create a nice head and it stuck around for at least 5 minutes. After sipping there is nice lacing on the glass as well. 4.5

S Nice medium malt and alcohol smell with caramel/vanilla notes. This is a very sweet smelling beer and inviting, complex and smooth all at the same time. As it warmed there was a bit more "oak" smells. Complexity comes from the various smells existing in the same beer.

T Nice sweet malt, reminds me of a Belgian Dubbel, like a Gulden Draak Jr. Vanilla/caramel notes linger in the aftertaste. There is a nice oak taste that I noticed once the beer warmed a bit and it provides a softened backdrop to the bigness of this beer.

M Slight syrupy stickiness but it is moderately thick. Big ABV, big malt make the feel somewhat heavy. There is a nice smoothness to this beer as well that helps to soften any kick of alcohol that you might experience.

D I will drink the bomber (and enjoy it) but I am not sure that I would drink more than that. A bomber will fill almost two pint glasses.

Notes: A big, interesting, delicious beer is a sipper and it really demands your attention. I first had this on tap at Ballantine's in Willoughby. The bottle reveals that it is consistent in both forms. Everyone reading this should try Dragon's Milk. A "crown jewel" beer at New Holland is certainly one that they can be proud of.

06-06-2009 12:29:15 | More by adamette
elvisnj

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a nice head with a dark dark hint of amber color. Looks black.

Nice head. Smells roasted malt with smokey burbon, slight alcohol, and oak.

Taste does not disappoint. Big malt with vanilla, oak and burbon. Some honey and dark caramel. Alcohol provides a bit of heat but its nice and not overpowering. Hops are present, just enough to balance the sweet malts.

Its a unique brew. I love where they went with this one. Highly recommended.

05-19-2010 17:18:44 | More by elvisnj
centurian62

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

After skipping out on work early, a co-worker and I decided to swing in to the NHB world headquarters (Holland, MI) and have a brew. Having never tried the Dragon's Milk, I decided it was time...and I'm glad I did. At 10% ABV, I expected the alcohol to be over-powering and make the beer tingy. Not the case at all! It was very smooth for a stout and the oak aging came out in full vibrance. The only way I would have guessed that it was 10% was the fact that I could feel a slight buzz from 1 beer. I would highly recommend that you don't miss this one if you are doing a West Michigan craft beer tour!

08-13-2012 16:53:37 | More by centurian62
Bunookana

Tennessee

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

I will return to update as I get better at reviewing beers, but this beer along with a couple other drinks is the reason I am getting into brewing. A friend gave me a couple of bottles because they did not like it. I was amazed. I almost broke the bottle open to lick the remaining nectar from the shards. I love the deep taste with a bourbon kick! I drank it straight from the bottle since I was in a hotel room and did not expect to enjoy it that much, so I don't have much to say about the appearance and the smell is like most stouts, which are not the most floral.

07-29-2013 22:13:13 | More by Bunookana
Rob_Wesley

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought a 4 pack of this item. I Drank the first one in the bottle and enjoyed but as a casual drinker this was too much alcohol. So after that I enjoyed it as a shot for me and a buddy while drinking another beer. This is really good but I prefer to drink as shots.

11-07-2013 05:35:04 | More by Rob_Wesley
Beerdanza

4.56/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the perfect sipping beer. The oak barrel aging gives it an amazing heart and soul. You will taste the sweet malt, and a nice touch of hop bitterness. But the oak resins really come through, and mix with the high ABV to make a beer that has all the sipping satisfaction of a fine bourbon. This is probably my favorite beer so far. Try it if you can!

07-29-2013 22:32:39 | More by Beerdanza
frazbri

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Deep brown, almost black with ruby accents, creamy beige head with good lacing. Milk chocolate, coffee and port aromas. Chocolate, cherries with roast coffee finish. Full body, modest carbonation with creamy mouthfeel.

Dragon's Milk is a rich, fruity beer. The wooden barrel the beer aged in asserts itself as it warms. There is a good balance between sweet, bitter, and tangy elements. The high alcohol content is hidden very well, until you try to stand. New Holland is another fine Michigan brewery. Dragon's Milk is another beer to get you through a midwestern winter.

02-10-2005 01:03:20 | More by frazbri
wcudwight

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a pitch black color. Frothy tan head rises and holds.
Smells of sweet milk chocolate and vanilla.
Taste like the chocolate soy milk (Silk). Mild bitterness with hints of vanilla. Nice coffee like finish.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth yet still big and bold.
Great drinkability for a 9% beer and if it were available here it would be a staple in my fridge.
Thanks to Enola for sharing a bottle.

01-15-2007 05:38:20 | More by wcudwight
saztheorybook

Louisiana

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Had this on cask to New Holland; passed up some exotic pub-only beers to have it on cask, and I'm glad I did.

A: Jet black with only a little head and little retention or lacing. Surprising for a cask.
S: Pure vanilla bean and and boozy warm esters on the nose.
T: This is an insane and delicious demon on cask. It's almost like a vanilla vodka with a little bit of chocolate. There was not real hop character, but a lot of alcohol warmth. From front to back, though, this vanilla thing made cask Dragon's Milk a completely different experience.
M:Smooth and a little oily. Very nice. Almost like a three-quarters melted milkshake in the best way that can sound.
D: You have to remind yourself, hey, this is 9%. Slow down, enjoy it, and call it good.

Serving type: cask

05-25-2009 12:43:32 | More by saztheorybook
Avagadro

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

A: opaque in the glass. Only when held to the light do garnet highlight appear. There is a thin, creamy film that sis atop the pint.

S: bouquet is well presented with notes of vanilla, caramel, and nutmeg.

T: fantastic balance of a malty caramel body and oaky vanilla notes. Not much in the way of hops, but this brew doesn't need it. The oak. Stands on its own to balance this brew out.

M: one of the most creamy brews I've ever had. Thick and creamy, a perfect complement to this beer's robust flavors.

D: one of my favorites when I'm back in Michigan. One of the best barrel aged ales ever made.

11-25-2009 20:06:32 | More by Avagadro
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company