Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -56.3%

1.87/5  rDev -53.3%

A: It looked dark. Really dark. Nearly black body with just a thing white head. Left behind thin white lacing as well.

S: Smelled mostly like whiskey. Maybe a faint cocoa powder, but mostly just whiskey

T: It tastes like it smells, whiskey. The alcohol is overpowering. Although the brew is only 10%, it tasted like it could have been 20. I could tell it was a familiar taste, but couldn't put my finger on it. Passed it to my little sister who nailed it right no the head. "Irish Car Bomb". It tastes just like an ICB and if you like those you'll love this. I tried to pick up the vanilla notes which the bottle hinted at, but I caught none of them.

M: Heavy and smooth. Swirl it around in your mouth and it will just feel like alcohol fumes.

O: I'm not a fan. Tastes like whiskey more than anything else, definitely not what I'm looking for in a beer. My older brother loves whiskey, so I got him a bottle. He didn't love it, but drank it. I would not get this again.

1.92/5  rDev -52%

1.96/5  rDev -51%

I feel strange about this beer. I usually love big beers... this one was just a mess.

A- Came in a pint glass with minimal off- white head. The color was a very dark as night red. It's almost black. the head does not stick around for long and just leaves the unexciting dark liquid behind.

S- I am instantly hit with molasses. The next thing that comes to me is a strong bourbon/ whiskey odor. I struggle to get anything more out of this.

T- The flavor is the same as the smell. The molasses was smooth up front, which was kind of nice. But then the overwhelming whiskey hits. It is over-bearing and causes me to wince every time I take a sip.

M- Pretty thin for what it is. Burning from the whiskey. Not something I wanted to savor.

D- I really regretted getting this. I feel like I could appreciate a beer that is barrel aged, this was just way overbearing and it was not "milky" in any sense of the word.

I have to say, since New Holland makes one of my favorite beers, I'm disappointed.

The first time I had this beer, it presented a great color and pleasant smell. On the front end, it was milk chocolate with a slight salty twang, but it finished with a nauseating taste of briny seawater. It was shocking. I promptly sent it back, assuming their keg had gone bad.

At another restaurant, I decided to give it another try. Unfortunately, I had the exact same experience: a salty brine that turned my mouth inside out and left me very thirsty.

It seems that a small percentage of the people who have this beer have a similar experience. Perhaps it's genetic, like those who think cilantro tastes like soap. Perhaps it's just bad on tap. Perhaps it's a bad beer. I don't know, but I won't be trying it again.

2.05/5  rDev -48.8%

Pours an odd looking murky brown sludge with a fizzy tan head. No clarity. On the nose there is tons of chocolate and aggressive burnt wood. This is a real one directional aroma. The taste tells the same story: too much wood that somehow brings some chocolate to the table. The more delicate notes of the base beer are completely overwhelmed by the oak. Low drinkability. One of the worst fiscal decisions I’ve made lately...

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company