2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,894 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
bum732

Maryland

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

S: Prominent bourbon, raisin dark bread, touch of vanilla, some chocolate as it warms.

L: Very dark brown, bordering on black, light tan head that dissipates. Ok lacing.

T: Rich breadiness up front with a bourbon undercurrent. Medium low bitterness leads to a very sweet bourbon and vanilla taste. Finishes with even more bourbon and alcohol prickleness, bleh.

M: Medium low body for style, medium low carbonation.

Compared to other -bal stouts, this is a pretty piss poor effort, mouthfeel is quite thin bodied.

05-20-2011 00:51:44 | More by bum732
Lauthaha

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a wine glass for maximum enjoyment.

Appearance: Opaque and black, with soft hints of red and/or mahongany. Thin tan head which does not stick around very long. Doesn't look overly thick or too thin, I like the look of this brew.

Smell: Immediately smell the oak. It's woody to the point of being perhaps just a touch over the top. Very little hop action, but the malt is prevalent in a strange way. Upon further review, it definitely smellls like merlot or cabernet sauvignon. I don't want my beer to smell like wine, so I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Simply put, much like red wine poured into a stout. Gentle carbonation allows the oak flavor combined with some chocolate/vanilla candy taste to envelop the palate. Strange grape attribute is not welcome here. Aftertaste is all wine.

Drinkability: I don't think I would purposely buy this beer again. If somebody else were to buy it and offer a taste, I would not decline, but only because we sometimes need to be reminded that price does not always equal quality.

Bought this after forty-five minutes at the store, staring at an endless supply of beer. Kinda wish I would have opted for my first decision, but then again, without moving forward, I can never refine my taste. *Shrug* No go, New Holland.

10-11-2010 23:10:53 | More by Lauthaha
Northsider

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

On tap at Fork Chicago.

This was beer recommended to me by the bartender. I got it in a short glass (6oz? 8oz?). I'm not thrilled about high abv beers, and this one was no different. All I tasted was the alcohol. I felt like I was drinking scotch with this one. Appearance is very dark with tan head. Smell was all alcohol to me, as was the taste.

Overall, I'd pass on this again. Not my kind of beer. Way too alcoholy for my tastes

07-06-2011 13:43:22 | More by Northsider
jorjoria

2.55/5  rDev -35.3%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

05-09-2006 22:21:15 | More by jorjoria
YumYumGumGum

2.55/5  rDev -35.3%

Okay, there are a lot of great reviews of this beer and I must've missed the train because it was very very average. This tasted like alcohol from a home brew with to much water added to the primary.

A: Very white head with small amount of lacing when poured into a bar glass from a 12oz bottle. Bottle was dark color like a stout with a decent amount of light coming through.

S: Mostly chocolate roast, with a twinge of sour milk (Which was a good thing).

T: Alcohol with a watered down milk chocolate flavor, and did get and woody flavor from the barrels. The kind of wet sweetness was average. It was very drinkable, just not what I expected from this "High Gravity" series from New Holland. All they did was bump up the alcohol, I didn't get any new body, and I used to really enjoy Dragon's Milk.

M: Pleasant, low carbonation, and if you like to use stouts as your main drinking beers, use Dragon's milk.

O: Don't buy this, its expensive here in VA and New Holland seems to be riding on the back of the reputation of the 09 vintage.

08-22-2011 15:22:14 | More by YumYumGumGum
ADR

2.58/5  rDev -34.5%

On tap, Autumn Brew Review 2003...

Burly opaque black with a 1/4 inch head of decent persistence. Ring laces. Hugely diacetyl aroma, so much so that its like artificial butter on movie popcorn. The flavor moves beyond that in even stranger directions, quick sweetness, tons of lime juice mid mouth and a crashing finish that reminds me of German Black Forest Chocolate Cake with cherries. Long and lingering impression in the aftertaste. Does have alcohol notes. Geez, this is weird, a little gunky and as far away from any Old Ale as I can think of. I'll give it different -- but I won't say I like it particularly much...

09-07-2003 16:49:18 | More by ADR
AlexJ

2.6/5  rDev -34%

Dark cola brown with a slight veil of haze and a frothy, sizzling tan head that dissapears too quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma is immediatly oaky with vanilla and bourbon. It's pleasantly malty with a bit of fruit and earthy notes, not very complex though.

Flavor is not as expected. caramel malt, vanilla, oak, and berries, then an unpleasant sour note as described in other reviews. It finishes tart and astringent, with an almost yogurt-like taste.

Body is light to medium, with loose bubbles of carbonation and a fizzy, then partially-fglat mouthfeel.

I have a feeling that the less favorable reviews of this beer, like this one, are of older bottles. The good reviews are probably fresh bottles. That, or this beer just isn't that good?

04-05-2007 01:00:51 | More by AlexJ
Bighuge

2.65/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty dark beer. Almost black. Thin and airy light brown head. Lace is decent. Aroma is of oak, tannins, whiskey and slight caramel. Flavor is dried fruits, wet cardboard, tartness and stale bread. This one is just not hitting the spot as I thought it would. Nothing seems just terribly "off." Maybe a little oxidized. Just really not that good. Bland. I don't even pick up any barrel properties.

02-09-2006 05:02:25 | More by Bighuge
bamojr

2.65/5  rDev -32.7%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

08-20-2010 06:02:55 | More by bamojr
brushpig

2.68/5  rDev -32%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy.

05-24-2006 20:31:36 | More by brushpig
irs

2.68/5  rDev -32%

head is decent. color is good, but some light is getting through. nose is cardboard and molasses. Unfortunately, that is the taste, too. not worth the price. disappointing, given I've been looking forward to trying this. Based on reviews, I will be much happier with Night Tripper. Looking forward to it.
At this ABV, why is this classified as an american stout, versus a double? though I guess it does taste like a fairly weak american stout with some Old Crow mixed in. or maybe just crystal palace vodka.
It is still Way better than Boak's monster mash. That is my number one worst Impy experience. Still looking forward to Night Tripper. If that is so good, why is New Holland still marketing this?

03-16-2012 03:01:31 | More by irs
imagineiii

Vermont

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aggresive pour yeilds a dark brown, almost porter-like appearance. Good inch of off white, large bubbled head. dissipates slowly, leaving decent lace behind. no complaints here.

Smells like a chocolate porter. dry, very faint bourbon notes. nothing spectacular at all.

This is where it falls apart. Initial taste is a strange and uncomforting astrigency on the tongue. Followed by dryness of a porter that doesnt hold much of a bourbon flavor. After taste is chemically. Alcohol is well hidden tho.

Aside from astringent taste, the beer has a nice weight to it. It isnt too bad in the mouth but it falls apart after.

Drinkable, I dont think so. Im wondering if I can finish it.

01-04-2009 01:45:18 | More by imagineiii
HopHeadKen

Iowa

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours dark amber brown, porter like in appearance with a thick creamy head of fine, medium and large bubles.

First taste is TART, What is this an oak aged lambic porter ?
The tartness lingers and seems to overwhelm the malt and hops.

Thanks DonO for this one; I am glad I tried it, but it doesn't excite me.

07-30-2005 20:28:59 | More by HopHeadKen
Beaver13

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head that quickly goes to a collar.

The aroma is oakey and vinous with a big chocolate and peat malt base and a touch of tart and sour dark fruits. As it warms, old cheese and strong alcohol comes out.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with some vinous alcohol and plums. It has a smooth woody finish. As it warms, a lot of alcoholic and tart (almost sour) fruitiness comes out (cherries, plums). The mouthfeel is medium bodied and velvety.

Overall, it was not as complex as I had expected. I liked the first sip, but the more I drank of it, the less I liked it. The alcoholic tart sourness started to become a bit overbearing. It kind of reminds me of liquid fruit cake.

04-13-2006 05:38:26 | More by Beaver13
Westsidethreat

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Loads of carbonation, towering beige head with medium sized bubbles. Body is a very dark, amber brown with no light getting through it.

S: Some light molasses, oak, vanilla bean, light chocolate and cafe au lait.

T: Overly sour with strong cola twangs. Has some dried cocoa flavors mixed in with sour milk. Finishes cloying.

M: Full body with a touch of fluffy carbonation.

D: Not so good. I think this bottle went bad. I'm not gonna finish it. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one.

08-18-2006 03:49:06 | More by Westsidethreat
plusorminus

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a thick creamy head, but that was the highlight of this beer.

S: Overpowering alchol smell with slight hints of vanilla.

T: Can taste the oak from the barrels along with the hints of vanilla can be tasted. With the strong alchol smell I would think it would overpower the taste, but it did not.

M: not bad at first but sharp tang at the end.

D: Was drinkable but could not get over the sharp tang at the end.

Overall I was not very impressed with this beer. With the 10% Alc. can get you buzzed pretty quick.

Cheers!

12-30-2010 05:11:11 | More by plusorminus
OddNotion

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

Purchased off of the recommendation of an employee at my favorite beer store.

Appearance: Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. There is no head, it is a dark brown but not black at all, up to the light it shows dark ruby colors. The beer just looks dead to me, not a lot going on.

Smell: I catch a good amount of oak, some chocolate, sweetness, and booziness.

Taste: Not appealing at all. I taste a lot of oak and booziness, then the worst parts which were unexpected, metal and grass? I am little confused about these flavors, It was a new bottle so I assumed it would have minimal risk of oxidation, however the metallic taste was unmistakable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and standard carbonation for the style, sorry this part is a little vague as I did not want to keep the beer in my mouth long enough to get a great understanding of the mouthfeel.

Overall: I will not revisit this offering or recommend it to anyone else. Nothing melded together well between the different taste elements or the smell and taste combination. Oh well, plenty of other stouts out there.

03-28-2011 21:51:53 | More by OddNotion
tvv375ia

Iowa

2.78/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

A-dark brown almost black with 1 finger head

S-I got alot of bourbon smell to start and the a little chocolate coffee note

T-more bourbon then some bitter chocolate finished off with bourbon

M-nice carbonation, not as creamy as a nitro stout but good

O-wasn't as impressed with this as I was hoping, I wanted more oak taste and not as much bourbon it just made the 10% alcohol stand out more

08-30-2011 00:31:49 | More by tvv375ia
nelso334

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

A- A black color with ruby tints. Pleasant to the eye. Head is a nice dark froth with good retention and a nice lace left behind.

S- Smells is blast of strong oak wood. Balanced with an undertone of raisin like malts as well as a smooth vanilla somewhere far in the back. I also can tell that there is gonna be some alcohol in this one.

T- Wow, talk about a blast of oak in your mouth. Flavor is dominated by the oak aging which you taste the whole way through. Underneath is a sweet malty reminiscent of dry fruit flavors but again the oak is what dominants. The alcohol comes through in this flavor as well.

M- A typical stout if you take away the oak. Feels smooth ith a bit of bubble.

D - The oak intensity along with to much presence of alcohol makes me not want to come back for more.

04-26-2010 04:36:18 | More by nelso334
mdvatab

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from 22oz bottle into bordeaux wine glass.
"Vintage 2010" (Not finding a bottled-on date...)

Aroma: Cocoa Krispies, sweet caramel, chocolate malt, bourbon, cola, coconut, and vanilla notes. The aroma seems to get better w/ each sniff, and really had me looking forward to tasting it.

Appearance: Looks like cola when light passes through the beer as it's poured. Much lighter in color than I'd anticipated. Bold coffee-colored once in the glass with tinges of ruby. Not opaque. One finger of head quickly falls to a thin layer of splotchy foam, and then to a circle of foam around the inside of the glass. On a related note, many of the labels of the other bottles on the store shelf were torn for some unknown reason. I now see that there appears to be dried beer on the outside of the bottle, presumably from the (hand?) bottling process. The notion that this was hand bottled is appealing, but the appearance of the outside of the bottle is amateurish and reminds me of my early bottles of home brew.

Flavor: Not nearly as complex as the aroma, unfortunately. Light molasses sweetness up front. Boozy alcohol then creeps in, and is followed by a very slight but noticeable metallic twang. The finish is bittersweet and hot. The flavor of this brew is reminiscent of DFH World Wide Stout ("did someone dump a shot of vodka in my stout?"), but is slightly better IMO.

Mouthfeel: This beer is much thinner than one would expect from a brand called "Dragon's Milk". It definitely leaves a peppery alcohol burn in the mouth and throat.

Overall: Not a bad beer, but definitely lacking in body and depth. For the money, I know I can find other high-gravity brews which are balanced with more body and malt flavor. The aroma really lead me to believe this was going to be a great one, but I was a little let down.

05-05-2011 04:10:17 | More by mdvatab
sdmvd6

Oklahoma

Poured into a Duvel tulip

A - Jet-black with a finger of tan head (after a hard pour) which dissipates rapidly. Light lacing. What little light makes it through the glass yields a deep ruby hue.

S - Big aromas of rum-soaked wood and dark fruit hit you immediately followed by a touch of roastiness after some searching. Definitely not as much chocolaty and/or coffee and roasty aroma as would be expected from the style. Alcohol is very apparent as well.

T - To be fair, this was a 2011 vintage bottle, but it needs some age. As is, though, the flavor is relatively unimpressive. Harsh, hot alcohol burns from beginning to end, with plums and prunes in the middle. This fades to a bit of roasted malt and finishes with lingering sweet vanilla notes from the oak barrels. I have had other 10% ABV imperial stouts that are much more drinkable than this one. Overall, the flavor profile is just unbalanced.

M - There is plenty of carbonation with this guy as well as a medium mouthfeel. It is a little too carbonated for the style.

O - The appearance and smell of this stout are pretty nice, but the flavor profile is unbalanced. I really think some age would calm this one down by cutting the abrasiveness of the alcohol, toning down the dark fruits, and bringing forward more traditional roasted flavors of an imperial stout. This was sent to store shelves too soon.

08-09-2011 03:39:17 | More by sdmvd6
DIM

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

a: This was black and it poured with a small fizzy head.

s: Oaky rubbing alcohol, vanilla, a hint of whiskey, and a little milk chocolate.

t: The barrel had a pretty harsh affect on this beer. A strongly alcoholic rubbing alcohol flavor dominated. There were hints of vanilla and chocolate, but not all that much.

m: The barrel thinned this one out.

o: Not terrible, but I definitely won't buy anymore. There are better BA stouts out there that aren't hard to find.

09-23-2011 18:33:29 | More by DIM
plfahey

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-True black with just the faintest garnet highlights when held to the light. Appears to be relatively clear, though it is nearly totally opaque. Tall sticky brown yellow head has decent retention and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma-Big bold oak up front-probably American-with oodles of vanilla and wood character. Underneath is some light chocolate and caramel, with slight peppery fusel alcohols. However, the overwhelming aroma is one of buttery vanilla oak.

Flavor-Big assault of booze and oak characterizes the entire palate. Tannic woody notes and light charcoal obscure nearly any malt character. There are hints here and there of chocolate, caramel, and toffee. In the finish, a semi sweet vanilla note emerges along with peppery fusels. Tannic oak carries far into the finish.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderately low carbonation. Some warmth from booze verges on hot at times.

WAY too damn oaky. The oak character dominates the palate, and anything that might have once resembled a stout is now reminiscent of sucking on a woodchip. It's too aggressively oaked, which to my palate makes it almost unpleasant to drink.

12-09-2011 06:26:27 | More by plfahey
Minkybut

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black indeed. The beer poured a non existent head and had absolutely no lacing wheresoever. The beer was overly sweet and very dry. Alcohol was just too high I thought which messes with the taste of beer. I will not buy again.

01-08-2011 00:47:37 | More by Minkybut
wowbagger

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

Quite dark, moderate head. Not much of an aroma, mostly of chocolate. Initially, very sharp bite of and licorice, alcohol and carbonation which persists. Some spiciness in the aftertaste.

Overall, a unique stout though I'm not blown away. I'd definitely suggest it be tried, but I can't see drinking a lot of it. Probably best shared on a cold night.

09-14-2011 00:25:04 | More by wowbagger
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company