Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

S: Prominent bourbon, raisin dark bread, touch of vanilla, some chocolate as it warms.

L: Very dark brown, bordering on black, light tan head that dissipates. Ok lacing.

T: Rich breadiness up front with a bourbon undercurrent. Medium low bitterness leads to a very sweet bourbon and vanilla taste. Finishes with even more bourbon and alcohol prickleness, bleh.

M: Medium low body for style, medium low carbonation.

Compared to other -bal stouts, this is a pretty piss poor effort, mouthfeel is quite thin bodied.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

A disappointment considering I am generally a fan of New Holland's brews. It poured rather flat and the taste was quite overwhemling. The strong oak flavor overwhelmed all of it supposed complexities. It was a beer that I had to fight with to drink.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured out a really dark brown. Looked more like a dark porter. I can smell the molasses and chocolate they used on the brew. The taste was milky and smooth with numerous malts but the taste of alcohol came on strong and it was too carbonated.

I wouldn't mind it of I never had one again. Nothing special.

2.53/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a wine glass for maximum enjoyment.

Appearance: Opaque and black, with soft hints of red and/or mahongany. Thin tan head which does not stick around very long. Doesn't look overly thick or too thin, I like the look of this brew.

Smell: Immediately smell the oak. It's woody to the point of being perhaps just a touch over the top. Very little hop action, but the malt is prevalent in a strange way. Upon further review, it definitely smellls like merlot or cabernet sauvignon. I don't want my beer to smell like wine, so I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Simply put, much like red wine poured into a stout. Gentle carbonation allows the oak flavor combined with some chocolate/vanilla candy taste to envelop the palate. Strange grape attribute is not welcome here. Aftertaste is all wine.

Drinkability: I don't think I would purposely buy this beer again. If somebody else were to buy it and offer a taste, I would not decline, but only because we sometimes need to be reminded that price does not always equal quality.

Bought this after forty-five minutes at the store, staring at an endless supply of beer. Kinda wish I would have opted for my first decision, but then again, without moving forward, I can never refine my taste. *Shrug* No go, New Holland.

2.53/5  rDev -36.6%

On tap at Fork Chicago.

This was beer recommended to me by the bartender. I got it in a short glass (6oz? 8oz?). I'm not thrilled about high abv beers, and this one was no different. All I tasted was the alcohol. I felt like I was drinking scotch with this one. Appearance is very dark with tan head. Smell was all alcohol to me, as was the taste.

Overall, I'd pass on this again. Not my kind of beer. Way too alcoholy for my tastes

2.55/5  rDev -36.1%

Okay, there are a lot of great reviews of this beer and I must've missed the train because it was very very average. This tasted like alcohol from a home brew with to much water added to the primary.

A: Very white head with small amount of lacing when poured into a bar glass from a 12oz bottle. Bottle was dark color like a stout with a decent amount of light coming through.

S: Mostly chocolate roast, with a twinge of sour milk (Which was a good thing).

T: Alcohol with a watered down milk chocolate flavor, and did get and woody flavor from the barrels. The kind of wet sweetness was average. It was very drinkable, just not what I expected from this "High Gravity" series from New Holland. All they did was bump up the alcohol, I didn't get any new body, and I used to really enjoy Dragon's Milk.

M: Pleasant, low carbonation, and if you like to use stouts as your main drinking beers, use Dragon's milk.

O: Don't buy this, its expensive here in VA and New Holland seems to be riding on the back of the reputation of the 09 vintage.

2.55/5  rDev -36.1%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

2.58/5  rDev -35.3%

On tap, Autumn Brew Review 2003...

Burly opaque black with a 1/4 inch head of decent persistence. Ring laces. Hugely diacetyl aroma, so much so that its like artificial butter on movie popcorn. The flavor moves beyond that in even stranger directions, quick sweetness, tons of lime juice mid mouth and a crashing finish that reminds me of German Black Forest Chocolate Cake with cherries. Long and lingering impression in the aftertaste. Does have alcohol notes. Geez, this is weird, a little gunky and as far away from any Old Ale as I can think of. I'll give it different -- but I won't say I like it particularly much...

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

Dark cola brown with a slight veil of haze and a frothy, sizzling tan head that dissapears too quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma is immediatly oaky with vanilla and bourbon. It's pleasantly malty with a bit of fruit and earthy notes, not very complex though.

Flavor is not as expected. caramel malt, vanilla, oak, and berries, then an unpleasant sour note as described in other reviews. It finishes tart and astringent, with an almost yogurt-like taste.

Body is light to medium, with loose bubbles of carbonation and a fizzy, then partially-fglat mouthfeel.

I have a feeling that the less favorable reviews of this beer, like this one, are of older bottles. The good reviews are probably fresh bottles. That, or this beer just isn't that good?

2.65/5  rDev -33.6%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company