Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,286 | Hads: 4,790
4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

22 oz bomber courtesy of fthomasl, thanks bra! Pours quite black, very little highlights. Tan foam fades quick and leaves little lacing.

Nose is vanilla, chocolate malty, bourbony and alcoholic! Nice blend of different scents. Maybe even some licorice and anise as it warms.

This is a very nice surprise, easily the best New Holland brew I have had. All the flavors blend together very well. Sweet and roasty with licks of vanilla rum and chocolate. Smooth, adequate mouthfeel. I am enjoying this quite a bit...It is nothing outstanding, but at the same time everything a barrel aged stout/strong ale should be. Very drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a solid, year round barrel aged stout at a very decent price point. This is a 2014 bottle for review. Pours a deep dark motor oil color with full body and a generous tan head. Plenty of milk chocolate and sweet notes here with a lick of vanilla ice cream. Thick but not syrupy. Balanced well and not overwhelming on the bourbon notes.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversize wine glass. 2012 vintage.

A- Pours a deep brown, translucent body with cherry highlights. The head is about 1" and light mocha in color, reducing to a ring of foam and leaving little lacing.

S- The bourbon character takes the front seat here, the aroma is sweet french vanilla, maple syrup, dark fruits, and toffee. Dessert-like.

T- Upfront I get big milk chocolate and vanilla notes. The follow through is sweet like a mocha milkshake with roasty, coffee-like flavors. The finish is smooth with a slight bitter, roasty character. No alcohol detected which is impressive for 10%. Very nice balance.

M- Slightly thin but highly drinkable. Slightly overcarbonated for a BA imperial stout.

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer and I feel that it is underrated. It's quite sweet which may be cloying to some people, but other than that I think it's half a notch under the big name barrel aged stouts.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep ruby, burned carmel, aged bourdon

S - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and oak. Man alive this smelled good.

T - bourbon with oak and malt. Is that a bad thing?

M - not as heavy as I expected, but rather perfect for the intensity of the flavor.

D - couldn't have more than a few but I'd like to try!

From a large bottle.

Pours a dark chocolate black with minimal tan lacing. Glows a deep mahogany when held to light.

Smells of rich brown sugars and sweet dark fruits, particularly figs.

Tastes similar as well as alcohol tart. Only the slightest hint of smokiness on the tail end, but it is clearly oakey in that regard.

Pretty even body, with tingly and thin carbonation.

Not what I was expecting but I really enjoy it. I wish the feel was a little fuller, but other than that a very pleasant experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

This is true. This is no American Strong Ale, but I have seen it listed as some type of English Strong Ale. Anyway, it is some type of Imperial Stout in my estimation. Nonetheless, this is an outstanding beer. Scents of deep chocolate, cherries, robust coffee shine through. Tastes similar, very light and unique. Heavy ABV not well detected. An a great looking opaque beer. I did not see a large foamy head, but it still is worth pouring and looking at. A nice well rounded nightcap, brew!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on a trip to NJ...

A: Very unique color. Deep grape purple with a small off-white head that fades quickly. Interesting.

S: Smells super smooth. Sweet buttery bourbon, silky vanilla, and sweet milky malts upfront. Candi sugars in the middle with slight sweet fruit on the backend.

T: Wow, this is great. Sweet sticky bourbon upfront blended with milk chocolate, vanilla, and buttery cream upfront. Sweet sugar in the middle with hints of dark fruit on the backend. Very reminiscent of Bourbon County Stout.

M: Good carbonation feel. Very good.

D: Goes down a little heavier from the booziness flavor.

All in all, this one definitely took me by surprise. Bourbon County is one of my favorite beers, and this brew reminds me so much of it in many ways. If you like a good bourbon flavored beer, then you will love this brew. If you don't like em thick, then avoid this.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

This is an awesome beer. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 160oz glass. Comes our black with a minimal tan head and a little carbonation. The aroma is a bourbon and chocolate with little hints of vanilla. The taste is great. As soon as it hits your mouth you get a chocolate/vanilla mix. The back end is mostly bourbon. It's the perfect combination. The beer is not too thin or thick. It's just right. I actually prefer this beer over KBS.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A- Dark. From a distance looked like motor oil sitting in a glass. Tints of reddish brown colors were produced when light hit the glass. There was a half fingers worth of cream colored head that reduced to a thin ring as the beer was consumed.

S- Pleasant, but simple. Notes of cocoa and coffee beans were present. Hard to deduce much else.

T- Much more complex taste than the aroma led to believe. Definitely can pick out flavors of coffee beans and cocoa. Really enjoyed the oak finish as it brought out strong vanilla flavors. The only knock I have on this beer is that there was nothing that stood out. While there was a complex mix, they were all blended together in subtlety.

M- Medium bodied with some carbonation. Left a clean crisp finish. Left the palate somewhat dry after consumption.

D- Delicious flavors make this highly drinkable. The 9% abv was hard to detect until the slight burn in the chest kicked in.

Overall, a must try. The fact that I can't get over is that it is such a complex beer, yet the flavors are so equal in part that there isn't a distinct taste. If only some of the flavors were more pronounced...

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look-Pours a very dark color.(basically black) The head is very small and sticks to the sides for the most part, a nice burnt/tanish color. Very nice appearance.

Smell-I immediately get the smell of bourbon(that boozy zingy aroma you get from bourbon), and I can also smell a slight sweet scent of vanilla and chocolate. I can definitely smell that bourbon though.

Taste-Very robust. Just like bourbon this beer is meant to be sipped on. I can taste notes of vanilla and chocolate. The flavor of bourbon is pretty present as well. The three flavors I get really do complement each other. The flavor is very complex and again robust.

Feel-Its thick, but not too thick. I go back and forth on the carbonation, some sips are carbonated and others aren't.

Overall-I got this beer from a good friend of mine who is quite the beer connoisseur, and so if he thinks it's good it most likely is good. With that being said, I am no stout expert. But what I do know is this beer is very special. It has the most complex flavor of any imperial stout I have tried. I have to say, I'm surprised it doesn't have a higher score. It was a delicious beer and a real treat to have.
One thing though, don't drink more than two of these beers... This beer will surely put you on your ass.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bottle into my Founders snifter. Bottled was chilled to 35 degree F, just like I like my booze.

Pour: looks great. Nice, black, small tanish head that quickly fades into a small frothy crown then to nothingness.

Smell: much like I was anticipating. Bourbon, slight coffee and chocolate. Smells great! I really like the smell!

Taste: wow! Bourbon up front, getting some booziness (I like it), getting some vanilla, chocolate, and some coffee. Not a lot though. Mainly bourbon. It's good! I have to say a lot better than I was expecting.

Overall: I'd buy again. It's really good! Not quite the best bourbon barrel beer I've had, but by far the easiest to find and cheaper than the limited releases. If you can find this, buy it. It's a good bourbon barrel stout. Don't expect it to be a BCBS. It's a bit thinner, and a touch less refined, but a solid beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a very nice deep brown with a very light tan head that faded somewhat quickly. Lacing does linger down the side of the glass as I'm drinking this one.

Smells warm with some chocolate, toffee and caramel notes. Alcohol is also present very lightly in the nose.

The taste I am loving. Up front the alcohol hits very slightly followed immediately by a delicious vanilla flavor. Roasted malts and chocolate are also present but that sweet, sugary vanilla is the most prevalent of all the flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick with a slightly creamy feel overall. Definitely smooth going down.

Drinkability on this one is pretty high. 8.5% isn't too outrageous and nothing about this beer makes me think I wouldn't want to have another as soon as I'm finished with this one.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a very deep brown color with a small off-white head that settles into a light ring. The aroma is of oak and vanilla, quite pronounced. There seems to be a bourbon aroma but not sure if it was actually aged in bourbon barrels. There is some caramel sweetness with boozed soaked raisins and cherries. The taste is big on vanilla and oak with caramel and hints of chocolate. The bourbon is also there in the flavor but not as strong. Perhaps it is the strong vanilla that is making me think it was aged in bourbon barrels. Whatever. The flavors are smooth and are in balance. Some fruit notes pop through in the end. Some boozy dark fruit (raisins) as well as some tart flavors. The feel is moderate, not at all heavy, with soft carbonation, smooth, perhaps a touch sticky. Sweet overall on the palate. Slight slight ABV belly burn. Quite a nice brew, very enjoyable. Smooth as hell and great vanilla flavor without being cloying whatsoever. Pick it up.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

bomber into nonic, the bottle i got was silk screened with white label and does not match the picture as of the time posted

A: Nearly black, small amount of light penetrates and shows brown coloration, tiny brown head, one finger max

S: malted milk balls and the oak is very clear, vanilla and chocolate, yum!

T: chocolate milk-like with strong vanilla and alcohol on the finish. bitterness comes in last. for 9%, the alcohol is kept in check quite well

M: Smooth but not so smooth that it makes it actually seem like chocolate milk, good level of carbonation to clean the palatte.

D: ABV is the only kicker but this is a staple of my fridge.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

I sampled this at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Cola coloured with an off-white/tan head, very little retention or lace.

S: Alcohol (port?), jaggery & brown sugar (hint's of molases).

T: Chocolate, raisin, malty bread, nut, great bittersweet balance, alcohol is pleasant (not overly assertive).

M: Well attenuated, moderate body is creamy. Carbonation is moderate.

D: Very good. This was one of my favourites at the fest.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Dark mahogany color, little in the way of a head and what forms doesn't keep.

Aroma: Caramel , chocolate and lots of vanilla. You can really smell the sweetness.

Taste: Slight phenol notes followed by rich chocolate and oak. his is followed by a strong vanilla aftertaste. This is one of the only beers I've had whose characteristics changed this much.

Mouthfeel: Light velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

Fond of this one & already had it several times, including fresh on tap at the brewery. Also introduced a friend to it, & this was the first bomber he ever bought.

Black, with only a tiny little ring of white. Smell is always a highlight; dark malts & vanilla rising, with a sliver of wood.

Dragon's Milk taste follows that forumla closely. Big, dark, roasted malts come skulking out of the pint glass, followed by a collection of lesser impressions: vanilla, oak, chocolate, with only the hint of the barrel coming out at the end. Full, rich, satisfying, & very easy to quaff for a 9% brew.

Excellent beer, as always. A readily available barrel-aged brew that's easy to get & not priced to heart-attack levels? Sign me up. I should be drinking this one more often. Tip o' the cap to New Holland once again.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

I will forewarn with saying I am a sucker for a strong barrel presence.

Pours black with lots of rose hue. Tan head that fades pretty quick but after all this beer is 10%.

The smell is great. Bourbon, vanilla, raisins, and other dark fruits.

The taste is pretty much purely from the oak. A ton of vanilla with a slight dash of alcohol. Roasty wood on the front with a lingering almost campfire smores taste on the back.

I got this one in a trade and please send me another!

2011 vintage 22oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: I would call this very dark brown just flirting with all out black in color. In fact I think this is as dark as brown can get without being black. No light penetrates when held to the light, however it does become a touch lighter brown when backlit. There was no head formation for me and there is a very fine collar around the edge of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell: Now this is where its at! Reminiscent of BCBS for me although milder. I get big bourbon, huge vanilla, roasted notes, coffee, and chocolate. There is a noticable alcohol presence and huge oak notes. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: An absolute huge bourbon vanilla bomb! Follows the nose with above noted roasted, coffee and chocolate and oak. Up front the mouth is introduced to the bourbon and vanilla followed by the others already stated. Alcohol is evident but not in a distracting sort of way. Everything is just in perfect balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full and oh so creamy! A bit light for a big barrel aged stout but seems to work for this one. I tend to want this style to be more on the chewy side but for this beer the feel does seem spot on and I can honestly say I wouldn't want it be any different.

Overall: My friend has been on me to try this one and I finally got it into a glass. I have to say I am extremely impressed by this beer. An absolute steal at $8 a bomber and so easy off the shelf that it makes me smile. I will be picking this up more often for sure!

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

Not exactly a daily nor weekly brew, but one helluva good timer.

A - Draft pint came to the table looking like an innocent glass of Coke with a thin lacing of foam.

S - Whiskey all the way. If you're a bourbon fan, this is YOUR beer.

T - Since I like an occasional glass of whiskey/bourbon, this one felt great on the palate. It's as if God himself created this combination of beer and sour mash.

MF - Imagine the smoothest whiskey in the world going down with no "Jim Beam" gag reflexes.

D - Could never play with this one every day, nor every week. but it still comes in as a helluva beer that will be further reserved for special occasions.

Overall, if you don't like a glass of whiskey, stay away. If you like some nice juice on the rocks, try it out.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Opaque black body with 1.5 finger head of foamy ecruwhite head. Ton of lacing.

Nose is slightly boozy, slightly of coconut... which differs from my memory on draft.

Taste is boozy, some toffee raisin, and definitely a bit of that coconut. This definitely needs to warm up (speaking from experience) to let all the flavor out, otherwise it just tastes like booze.

Mouthfeel is creamy, like a nitro stout, but from a bottle.

This is a super-strong stout; definitely for sipping, and sweet, not hoppy. I highly recommend trying this if these are the things you enjoy in a stout.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark brown, almost black with an amber tinge on the edge. It’s almost opaque. Three fingers of creamy tan head. Some white substance floating on the bottom.

S: Baily’s Irish Cream, coffee, oak barrel, whiskey, chocolate, cream, vanilla.

T: Baily’s Irish Cream, coffee, dark toasted malts, whiskey, chocolate, cream, vanilla.

M: Thick bready and heavy body, low carbonation.

O: Almost can’t believe it’s a beer. Amazing. Reminds me of the quality of Double Arrogant Bastard Oaked.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad to see BA updated the photo for this one. Another delicious New Holland product. We had one of these over Thanksgiving after several other diverse and strong beers and thought it a tad weaker and less bold than we remembered. So I decided to try another one tonight and compare. Similar to what I remember from Thanksgiving, but this is my first beer of the night, and it's great.

A: Cola color with lacing that sticks around.

S: Love this smell. Chocolate, vanilla, oak, toffee.

T: Same smell notes are present in the taste, though as noted above, it's not as bold as I remembered. Could just be that I've been drinking a lot of strong stuff lately in comparison, because the first time I ever had this I was blown away by how sweet and powerful it seemed. in any event, the taste is nicely balanced and very rich.

M: Creamy, almost milk stouty. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D: This beer is in no danger of being poured out. Love it. It should be available in 12 oz bottles though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Just able to see the light through the dark ruby/black color. Nice lacing.

S- Choc. covered cherries, fresh flour, lactose sweetness, and a bit of buttery vanilla.

T- Dark choc, dryness of oak, cherries, dry hop finish, vanilla and touch of butterscotch.

M- Low carb, velvety smooth, dry finish is nice.

D- 8.5% is well hidden, not bad. I found it similar to 1554.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company