2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,896 | Reviews: 1,090 | Show All Ratings:
57md

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark brown in appearance - almost black. There is a thin head to this offering and no retention. Caramel dominates the nose. The taste is driven by the chocolate malt smoothness. Pleasant vanilla and whiskey notes are present, but certainly not overdone.

01-08-2012 06:10:57 | More by 57md
elNopalero

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

This pours a black-ruby complexion with a thin lacing of foam on top. It has an aroma of toffee and espresso, with a bit of smoke. It’s tasty, with some smoked malt, lots of dark chocolate and dark roast coffee, sweet bourbon notes and a long, smoothly boozy finish.

12-28-2011 18:04:09 | More by elNopalero
mjpolzin

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

I have a 2011 bottle in my basement and I have just been sitting on it waiting for a "special occasion" to drink it. This past week, I made my annual trek to the NCAA cross country meet in Terre Haute, IN and went to the official gathering spot of all Badger fans-M. Moggers. It is a favorite spot of mine has they have 100+ beers on tap and/or in bottles so it is a great spot for a beer lover. A friend who was with me saw they had Dragon's Milk on tap and immediatly bought a round telling me this was one of his favorite beers. Not only to I have to agree but I doubt the bottle in my basement will last much longer now that I know how much I like this. I see on this site that it isn't rated very high. It has a very distinct taste which may not appeal to erveryone but it did to me.

A-Awesome. The apperance in the glass was thick and jet black with a faint hint of red swirling around.

S-It smelled of a typical russian stout. Dark fruits and booze. I didn't get too much oak.

T-Booze, dark fruits, more sweet than most stouts, a interesting aftertaste which I think is probably the oak.

M-Thick and milky. A lot of beers claim to be thick or milky and don't deliver but this one is.

O-Will buy this one again and store it away. I loved it.

11-23-2011 02:54:51 | More by mjpolzin
demuzik

Oregon

2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

I had been anticipating this one for a while, finally got to try some on tap. My local tappery called this one a "American Strong Ale"; I think American Stout - as classified here - is a closer category. Definitely not enough hop backbone to balance out the overbearing sweetness of this brew.

The color is fine - a dark, opaque, stout-ish brown.
By the aroma alone you can already tell this is going to be one sweet beer - literally, sweet. The taste is not bad and somewhat interesting on first sip; tons of malt, caramel, sticky sweetness - but as you may have gathered from my tone, this sticky sweetness quickly caught up with me and left me reaching for water, not enthused about finishing the glass.

I guess this could classify best as a "dessert beer", served in small quantities when you want overly-sweet, imbalanced beer, but otherwise, I'd avoid it.

11-12-2011 15:11:21 | More by demuzik
gatornation

on tap in 10oz glass

A-pours a black offering with a tan head ,nice lacing and a good collar thru-out

S- is milk chocolate with roasted malts some vanilla bean and a touch of oak

T- roasted malts .coffee,milk chocolate,vanilla bean,a touch of spice with,toffee

M- was low/medium carbonation with a full palate of sweets ,ABV very well hiddeb

O- a sweet and tasty stout with vanilla and chocolate wraped up in a stout

10-16-2011 21:13:28 | More by gatornation
bdkucharski

4.95/5  rDev +25.6%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley.

10-10-2011 02:46:52 | More by bdkucharski
Hazer115

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Deep dark black with a thin (less than 1/2 inch) tan creamy head.

S: My first impression was a dark chocolate with hints of dried apricot, and dark roasted malts, following by a good kick of alcohol. As the beer warmed I got more fruits and more alcohol and a little bit of coffee

T: The taste had many different notes to it as it warmed. My first couple of sips, in my opinion were taken when the beer was a bit too cold, had an iced dark coffee with hints of banana and strong alcohol finish. As it warmed, I picked up more dark chocolate and apple, with a very pronounced apple aftertaste.

M: Smooth with a good level of carbonation. A little sip went a long way in coating your mouth with the full flavor of this brew.

O: Overall, I would definitely recommend this to friends. If you take the time to let it warm to the proper temperature and taste it a little bit along the way, you will get to experience many different notes in just one glass.

09-26-2011 16:24:54 | More by Hazer115
dtivp

West Virginia

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured a deep dark brown, near black, no head a very little lacing.

Aroma of dark chocolate, oak and hints of vanilla.

Taste of roasted malt, bitter dark coffee followed by a slight dark fruit sweetness, vanilla and a hint of alcohol.

Mouth Feel was light leaning medium body, low carbonation, balanced, a little thin with a slight alcohol warming.

Overall it is a nice flavored stout, needs a little more thickness would make this a top notch stout.

09-18-2011 22:46:56 | More by dtivp
cagocubs

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

On Tap poured into tulip glass

A: Pours extremely dark brown/opaque. Thin ivory head that dissipates and has some lacing on the edges.

S: Sweet tones erupt into the nostrils. Caramel, molasses, vanilla, chocolate, sweet milk, and a little alcohol.

T: The sweetness of the smell is ever-present in the taste. The sweet tastes of chocolate, molasses (syrup), toasted malt, vanilla, and caramel are present. You can pick up on the hops and earthy tones as well.

M: I feel like I should be eating this with a fork and knife. Nice full bodied stout with very little carbonation. I was surprised there was no alcohol bite at 9-10abv. Good mouth coating, and finish.

O: I'm curious to try this from a bottle, because from the tap I'm flabbergasted this is not a top beer and rated higher. I cannot see much downfall in this beer. It has great aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. Real balanced and enjoyable. Bravo, NH.

07-31-2011 00:28:50 | More by cagocubs
jmvecchio1

Missouri

Dragon’s Milk pours out dark black in color with a creamy, chocolate colored head that recedes fairly quickly. Roasted malts are obvious on the aroma and alcohol is apparent too. Vanilla and oak notes are present, but secondary to the strong alcohol notes. This stout drinks lighter than it looks and has a creamy mouthfeel. Just like with the aroma, when you take a sip, alcohol is the first thing you taste. From there, chocolate and vanilla flavors peek through a bit, but struggle to stand out. I couldn't find any oak notes that were on the aroma.

07-16-2011 20:43:43 | More by jmvecchio1
Stunner97

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance- dark black with no light coming through at all with tan head that quickly fades away, little to low carbonation

Smell- the smell on this beer was probably its strongest point of all was smelling this one at the bar for quite sometime before I even took my sip, just nice oak and roasted malts and chocolate/vanilla, really solid nose

Taste- very nice stout flavor that is nicely mixed with the naunces and flavors of oak, its not a bourbon flavor but purely oak which give its sweetness and vanilla, thats mixed in with also roasted notes and chocolate tones good flavor

Mouthfeel- very heavy and smooth with little to no carbonation

DRinkability/overall- this beer is heavy and has very rich flavor and is certainly not a beer you would go at just slamming down, in terms of drinkability its probably around a four but in its overall it gets boosted up to me to a 4.5 because i just generally enjoyed the flavor and it hit me right on tap at the bar, the smell alone made me happy, maybe not absolute best stout i have ever had but pretty damn good

07-11-2011 03:59:14 | More by Stunner97
Northsider

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

On tap at Fork Chicago.

This was beer recommended to me by the bartender. I got it in a short glass (6oz? 8oz?). I'm not thrilled about high abv beers, and this one was no different. All I tasted was the alcohol. I felt like I was drinking scotch with this one. Appearance is very dark with tan head. Smell was all alcohol to me, as was the taste.

Overall, I'd pass on this again. Not my kind of beer. Way too alcoholy for my tastes

07-06-2011 13:43:22 | More by Northsider
sluggermatt15

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this on-tap at a local bar. Was in the mood for a dark beer and this is what I got:

A - Pours a very dark brown/black. Nearly opaque. Thin tan lacing that quickly dissipates. Looks sharp.

S - Vanilla. The alcohol smell is strong and ever apparent.

T - You can taste the alcohol. Some vanilla and oak, similar to how it smells, but NOT exactly the same.

M - Some carbonation, not much to speak of. Pretty thick.

I LOVED this beer. One of my favorite stouts of ALL-TIME. I would certainly order this one again. Definitely a sipper and not a beer that you should just gulp down. Unfortunately, I made that mistake.

07-05-2011 18:59:22 | More by sluggermatt15
fountainofyouth

District of Columbia

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

I've had this three times on-tap at Kramerbooks in Washington, DC. The first time two times were wonderful experiences that prompted yet another, but less pleasurable experience. My ratings are an aggregate of all three tastings.

Appearance: A good look for a stout. Held up to light, the glass is very dark brown and opaque. Shades of dark red. The head is pretty small and retains OK. It leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: The first couple of times I had it, I smelled a great mix of vanilla, bitter and sweet chocolates, coffee, and oak -- as well as a little bit of booze and very little in the way of hops. The third time I smelled pretty much only chocolate and a LOT of alcohol. This presaged a disappointing taste . . .

Taste: Again, the first two times were much better than the third. On those occasions, I was treated to a rich mix of the flavors described in the aromas. It's sweet for a stout but I liked the balance. Different sips provided different tastes. Subdued hops.

The third time was unpleasant. From start to finish -- especially at the finish -- booze and syrupy chocolate provided an uneven and almost nauseating taste. My tongue was numb two-thirds of the way through and I could not even bring myself to down the last few drops.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body than a Guinness (especially the third time). Carbonation is typical for a stout.

Overall: I really hope the third serving was an aberration due to me receiving something from the bottom of the tank. I was ready to crown this one of my absolute favorites until then. I'm willing to give it another go, but caveat emptor -- you might be gambling with the quality of your beer when you get this.

06-19-2011 06:46:34 | More by fountainofyouth
jale

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Had on tap at reno's west in Lansing.

A: Pours black with 2 quarters of light brown head.

S: Smell is sherry, carmel malts oak and dark fruits.

T:Oak and booze upfront followed by some burnt sugar. Moves into dark roasted malt and bitter coffee. A hint of vanilla and light dark fruits. Huge oak finish.

M: Thick body.

O: Solid beer but has to much booze when fresh. Better with age from a bottle.

06-07-2011 21:53:27 | More by jale
CCalvert

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

I've had this numerous times from a 22oz growler , but only a few from tap. Tap is by far better. But I do like the feel/taste of the ale from both, and will continue drinking it. Goes down great on chilly nights.
The first impression I always get is the hint of burnt oak, which is good, not too overpowering. Next thing I noticed was the very sweet malt/caramel, and vanilla tastes. The latter being very subtle to me. The alcohol taste is next. Though for me not too strong. To me anyway, it felt just right, smooth and not forced.

05-15-2011 19:13:32 | More by CCalvert
DCon

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap @ the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Tapped into a Snifter and Enjoyed only one (like always with this beer). Keg is from March 22.

Appearance- Darkest brown you can get with a 1.5 finger of tan head. Has quick retention head, and has a ton of lace that makes rings sticks to the side.

Aroma(first time having an "Aroma" section)- Has a strong dark chocolate and bourbon aroma. There also is a "fake" vodka scent on the backside.

Taste/Mouthfeel- There is a woody character that starts of this experience and then a huge bourbon after taste. I enjoyed this a ton but it has WAY too much of an alcohol taste. There also is a raisin/plum taste in here as well. It is Full Bodied, Medium Viscosity, and gritty. Bourbon aftertaste.

Overall- Huge flavor and taste but seems like a mixed drink with bourbon. I'm not sure if I could recommend this for everyone and the drinkability is very hard.

05-05-2011 04:23:38 | More by DCon
claspada

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Aromas of dark roasted espresso beans with ample amounts of dark baker's chocolate. AS it warms you get slight alcohol, oak and light vanilla.

The taste starts off with milk chocolate cocoa powder and some oakiness that fades into a bitter dark chocolate boozy finish. One again as you let this warm to the appropriate temperature you get lesser notes of coconut and vanilla and a more prevalent sweetness/fruitness that is undetectable initially.

Mouthfeel was full with the oak aging helping to dry out the complex high ABV, maltiness and overall flavor profile. Overall I really enjoyed this beer, not as good as I first remember when I sampled it on draft at the original Savor, but still good non-the-less.

05-04-2011 16:39:42 | More by claspada
Holland

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Served on tap at the brewery in Holland, MI.

A: dark brown color, light head and small lacing of an off white color.

S: scotch, oak, malt, some sweetness

T: the scotch taste hits you hard, then you can get to the vanilla and sweetness and malts

M: bit thinner than expected, but still decent body

O: drinkable, but not all the time. I love this beer because it is one that helped turn me on to craft brews. To be fair, though, there are better beers out there. This flavor is very sharp, and I like that it differs from other oak aged stouts in that. Could be aged more to tame it, but then it wouldn't be Dragon's Milk.

04-28-2011 14:37:06 | More by Holland
jayhawk73

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a dark brown/red w/ average to below average lacing. Off white one finger head, which disappears fairly quickly. Really dark beer.. Not much carbonation as well.

S- Oak/Whiskey smell is really out front on this one. Very sweet, with vanilla some malt and a touch of vanilla hanging out in the background.

T- Very sweet, w/ a port type of vibe to it. Oak, plum, malt and alcohol all present. Nice. The warmer it gets, the more the oak goes into the background and the plum comes out as the primary taste.

M- Very smooth, with a definite oak alcohol feel. Feels like I'm drinking a port at times. Definitely an alcohol burn aftertaste that's not very subtle. However, this is not a subtle beer.

O- A good beer that borders on great, but not quite there. I did enjoy this one, and it improved remarkably the more it warmed up. Definitely worth a try if you like the style.

04-19-2011 22:11:23 | More by jayhawk73
shangwang

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

on draft at Ron's original.

I'd had a good week of Michigan beers, and this was the one I finished with. It didn't disappoint.

Started off with smells of alcohol, vanilla, and wood - definitely can tell it was aged in oak. Very dark appearance, completely opaque with a pearl creamy head. Very complex taste- I definitely get the oak and bourbon qualities, but it doesn't hit you over the head and finishes with a pleasant sweetness. Medium mouthfeel, actually a little waterier than I expected and not very carbonated. I enjoyed this more the further into it I got and as it warmed up a little.

Overall I enjoyed Dragon's Milk- it's not the best Oak Barrel Stout I've had but it definitely is a solid offering.

04-09-2011 16:55:16 | More by shangwang
DrDemento456

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a 32oz fill at my local place for 8 bucks

A - Poured a nice deep amber with a nice bounty of fluffy head. Very carbonated for a bourbon oak beer.

S - Very light bourbon and oak tones with an underlying sweetness of caramel and candies

T - Hands down one of the smoothest bourbon barrel beers I ever had the privilege of drinking. I swear it drinks like an IPA. Well hidden bourbon with light yet playful notes of oak and vanilla with a finish of sweet caramel and vanilla flavoring.

M - Surprisingly it drinks like a medium body stout. Smooth and creamy.

Overall after the half fill was gone I wished I had more then the ABV hits you. Dangerously drinkable. When I think of New Holland Dragons milk will always be the beer I associate it with as the best I ever had.

04-02-2011 13:43:43 | More by DrDemento456
dudecandle

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Very dark brown nearing on black with ruby highlights, barely any head, but still some lacing from the slight cap.

S: Big vanilla, subtle caramel and chocolate

T: Absolutely huge on the bourbon vanilla, but the sweetness, which also has a caramel tone, is offset quite well by some good raw cacao bitterness. There might be the subtlest touch of hops rounding it out. As it opens up, it gets a bit of a wonderful boozy burn, but the vanilla still dominates.

M: Medium-slick body, quite creamy.

D: For how big the vanilla and alcohol are, it goes down quite smooth. It opens up quite well, and the flavor progresses along the palate. Definitely not a one-note beer, with a very nice balance between the vanilla and chocolate. I would definitely have it again.

03-08-2011 06:08:31 | More by dudecandle
atsprings

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 vintage on-tap during Flying Saucer's 11th anniversary served in a tulip glass a not quite opaque black with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is a noticeable oak note in front of roasted malts. The taste is a smooth blend of roasted malts, vanilla, oak, cocoa and molasses. The beer is medium bodied and has become quite easy drinking with age!! This is a very enjoyable stout, one that certainly ages well!

02-26-2011 18:13:12 | More by atsprings
MillRat

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Served at the Tap House in Oswego, IL. Served in a snifter, inky black with a thick cocoa head. A well-balanced roasty trio of barley, cocoa, and coffee dominate the aroma and flavor, with an oaky bitterness and slight boozy alcohol presence playing rhythm guitar behind the roast flavors. The wood is better balanced than it was in incarnations from a few years ago. A sipping brew with enough complexity to hold one's interest for hours, no mean feat for a stout that really ought to be listed as an imperial.

12-25-2010 20:06:37 | More by MillRat
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company