1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,879 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
plaztikjezuz

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

pours a deep dark brown with a light brown head.
aroma of figs, oak, and chocolate, with a hint of oak and vanilla.
flavor is rich with carmel malt, chocolate, vanilla, hint of burbon and oak.
wounderfully drinkable goes down with ease and the mouthfeel is medium.
let it warm up a little and the flavor and aroma shines through.

12-28-2005 23:48:10 | More by plaztikjezuz
Frozensoul327

My God... utterly amazing brew. Pours out to black coffee color with a nice firm tan head of about 1/4 inch. No lacing. Medium low level of carbonation. Aroma is laden with vanilla, malt, cream and coffee. Phenominal off the get go. Taste is heavnly; sweet creamy roasted malts blend with coffee overtones and woody scotch-like notes. Exceptional. Mouthfeel is wonderfully creamy, yet not sticky or too thick. Carbonation remains present and gives a slight zing to the finish. Exceptional drinkability, as the 10% ABV never even comes close to being noted. World class beer. Highly Recommended. This is what it's about people.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: I didn't even want to share this beer. Benji got one taste and nearly decided to go for the bottle and finish it. Bloodhounds have exceptionally good taste, as exhibited here...

12-28-2005 00:44:11 | More by Frozensoul327
froggyfrog

22 oz. screen printed bottle served in a snifter. Dragon's Milk appears courtesy of deejaydan (SS '05).

Beer is opaque black with hints of red and a sticky tan head with aggressive lacing.

Take a whiff, get a nose full of woody alcohol. Smells like whiskey but tempered with something sweet like vanilla.

Tastes like cool whip. Vanilla extract or french vanilla ice cream come to mind. Quite sweet and creamy.

Smooth and silky on the tongue, this beer carries a pleasant warming alcohol note down the hatch.

A good natured ale with plenty of punch and lots of rich vanilla flavor.

12-23-2005 06:30:45 | More by froggyfrog
Gaisgeil

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Wow. I had this brew once on draft over a year ago and it really did nothing for me at the time but now, I'm blown away! This is a very, very tasty brew. Good job New Holland!

Pours a murky deep brown in color with a slight creamy head. Nose is outstanding, lots of depth and character going on here. Some nice strong vanilla notes going on here along with that characteristic wood barrel aged profile. Quite distinct. Also some dry sherry tones as well. Taste is quite similar, fairly explosive with the vanilla. There is an interesting boozy cherry cordial thing going on here as well. Incredibly appealing. Mouthfeel is medium and slightly buttery/milky but finishes fairly neutral.

One of the better beers I've had lately, I'm honestly very impressed. Good show!

Slàinte!

12-22-2005 09:12:12 | More by Gaisgeil
Brian700

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer pours pretty dark with mocha colored head that slowly settles down to a creamy ring around my glass.

The smell is or roasted malt, chocolate, and heavy oak aroma. Very nice. Must be a bit warm to really get the nose going.

The taste is also of roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and it is obvious that this beer is aged in bourbon barrels. The oakiness of the barrels is very present along with a little extra bite from the bourbon flavor. It is a bit creamy like a milk stout would be.

The mouthfeel on this one is full bodied with medium carbonation. Very creamy.

I enjoyed this beer a lot and would highly recommend it. Very drinkable.

12-18-2005 22:14:47 | More by Brian700
PatYoda

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle over 1 year old I believe.

Very dark brown with an excellent light brown head that recedes to a solid ring around the glass and some film. Leaves some nice lacing. Smell is fruity to the max - berries, cherries and raspberries and grapes. These are mixed in with some wood, roasted grain and a little wine like alcohol. Cocoa too. The fruit really dominates the taste here. It's complemented by a dry woody flavor which takes over in the finish and cocoa that is subtly there all along. With all of the fruit in there and the high alcohol, this really reminds you of a red wine at times. Medium bodied with enough carbonation to keep things moving along. Drinkability is hindered a bit by the strong berry and oak flavors and lack of hop balance, but other than that, this is a very intriguing beer to me. Not many beers have imparted this strong of a berry flavor to me, so I consider this one very unique. I'll definitely be picking some up from the next batch.

Edit: After having a fresher bottle from the late 2005 batch, I'm bumping the mouthfeel up from 4.0 to 5.0 and the smell from 4.0 to 4.5. Also the drinkability from 3.5 to 4.0. The caramel malt really comes out a lot more in this bottle and the smoothness is breathtaking. The fruit it much more subdued than in the aged bottle. There was also a significant vanilla undertone and a strong roasted malt flavor. Very interesting. It's almost like this is a completely different beer than the one I reviewed before.

11-16-2005 00:05:29 | More by PatYoda
hero27

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

22 oz bottle
8.5% abv

Pours an ominous, deep reddish-purple, nearly black color. Even with a hard pour, the thin, beige head settles down fairly quickly, leaving a ring around the glass. Really too oily to leave much for lacing. Definitely an oaky, fruity aroma that is pretty powerful. Chocolate & coffee flavors are buried behind the dark fruits. Tastes are overwhelmingly fruity. Astringent, acidic bite that is different than your typical alcohol bite in a beer of this %abv. It's more tart and sweet. Lingering bittersweet flavor...goes on & on... Lays on the fruit really thick, and that dominates the taste and character of this brew. You can't fault this for lacking flavor..it really busts through the gates and shows itself for what it is. Oily mouthfeel & feels nice on the palate. If you can get past the potent flavors, it really is fairly drinkable.

Interesting beer from NH. Thanks to walleye for the bottle.

10-25-2005 02:52:40 | More by hero27
dirtylou

Washington

I've had a couple of these sitting in the "cellar fridge" since the summer, or earlier

appearance: quite dark and creamy, a deep plum color, some creamy white head with ringed lacing

smell: sugary sweet/sour, chocolate covered cherries, creamy vanilla aromas. quite sharp

taste: quite interesting...chocolate covered cherries really stick out, some nice alcohol burn, very sugary...nice oak and vanilla flavors...Im pretty impressed by this one...the flavors are quite explosive

mouthfeel: very much a red wine afteraste, medium bodied, sugar tingles on the tongue

drinkability: pretty drinkable

10-19-2005 02:01:15 | More by dirtylou
blackie

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

appearance: Thin khaki head, the beer itself is blackish with some red hues escaping.

smell: This beer smells really wierd, seems to share alot of characteristics with the darker red wines. I smell tannins, and what I think are tart cherry and blackberry notes. Slight roasted aromas. Definately some oakiness in there. Not many hops that I can pick up on, and the slightest tinge of alcohol.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is almost high and the body on the heavier side of light.

taste: I am picking up on some tart cherry-like flavors, and an almost lambic like sourness. Is this a bad bottle? Hard to differentiate between any hop bitterness that may be present and the astringency. Slight roasted, coffee like flavors. Obvious oak characteristics are present, too much so. Aftertaste is sour with an almost chalky feeling left in the mouth, and just a tiny hint of cocoa on the senses.

Thanks dirtylou for the two bottles. This bottle has been in the cellar since June, and I think I am going to have to keep the other in there until then next year to see if there is any improvement. At this point, it is a strange, slightly offensive beer. I started at cellar temperature of 50 Fahrenheit and the beer definately got better as it became even warmer, almost to room temperature. The more I drank, the better it tasted.

10-11-2005 05:23:23 | More by blackie
UnionMade

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks for the bottle, oldcrustacean!
Deep, deep garnet, nearly black. A vigorous pour generates a thin ivory head that quickly dies into a wispy, broken coating. Good clarity, the yeast staying neatly in the bottle. Some broken lace trails down the glass, and the head stubbornly collars the brew for the duration.
Black cherries steeped in alcohol, creamy oaken tones, prune, raisin. Syrupy caramel, with a soft, wooden hop undertone. Some perfumey floral notes, as well as thinner-like fusel alcohol.
The wood aging is very prominent in the flavor. Vinous red grape and cherry overtones, backed thoroughly by malt, malt and more malt. Fruit just gushes forth, acquiring a pleasant sourness in the finish. Perhaps a touch wild, my guess is some latent bacteria in the wood. Not much in the way of hops, just a vaguely woody, pine-like tang in back. Creamy oaken tones. A dash of vanilla and powdered cocoa. Very smooth on the palate, the wood aging has softened this nicely. The fruitiness is intense. Rather dry as well. Slight booze in the swallow, remaining present on my breath. Soft, refined carbonation. Thinner bodied than I'd anticipated, but still substantial enough. Acquires a bit of a port feel as it approaches room temperature.
Very, very sophisticated. More in common with cabernet than beer. Although I'm not the biggest of wine fans, I do mean that as a compliment. The closest beer comparison I can make is JW Lees Prize Old Ale. Elegant and refined. Quite a sipper.

09-13-2005 04:28:28 | More by UnionMade
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Darkest mahogany with sparkling ruby trim. The tight-bubbled cap of chocolate milk brown displays a wonderful moonscape surface of pits and bubbles that resembles caramelizing sugar. Thick sheets of tacky lace further affirm the outstanding appearance. I don't think I've ever seen an American strong ale that looks so much like a stout.

The nose, while aromatic enough, isn't what I'd call powerful or commanding. Chocolate is dominant, to the near exclusion of all else. Although there isn't as much complexity as I had hoped, I do appreciate dark fruit (dates) and a wee whiff of vanilla. I'll be disappointed if there's as little bourbon on the palate as there is in the nose.

Dragon's Milk is much more complex in the mouth and is becoming more so with every sip. The flavor profile features plenty of roasted malt flavors; especially dark chocolate and molasses. As it warms, vanilla and oak from the Jack Daniels casks becomes much more evident and the quality of the flavor surges forward as a result.

The final constellation is an intriguing mix of sugared vanilla beans, cocoa, caramel, brown sugar and bourbon whiskey. Vanilla, especially, fairly bursts out of each mouthful as the beer loses its slight chill. Any less than 4 months in the barrel wouldn't have been enough, and any more might have been too much. I started my bottle out at roughly 55 degrees and I can't emphasize enough how much it's improving as it approaches room temperature.

The mouthfeel seemed too light initially. Like the flavor, it comes into its own in smashing fashion in the bottom of the bottle. A notch more full than medium, it's wonderfully smooth with an understated (read: perfect) amount of carbonation. This is amazingly drinkable beer given the close to double-digit ABV.

I had two bottles of Dragon's Milk (thanks deejaydan) and decided to review the 2003 rather than the 2004 due to reports that an infection is threatening the well-being of the latter beer. No such worries with the '03, it has aged beautifully. This is one of New Holland's better offerings and is one that I'll be sure to look for on my semi-yearly trips back to Ohio.

09-02-2005 15:29:41 | More by BuckeyeNation
bditty187

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Dark brown in hue with a ruby influence, the liquid seems clear. The head was beige in color; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was decent, the bubbles collapsed to a soapy cap, it was thicker around the edges but not naked in the middle but after a few more moments there was exposed liquid. There was some subsequent lacing; it was unorganized and not very prevalent. On the whole, this beer looks respectable but not remarkable.

The nose really surprised me! There is a rustic chocolate twang with vanilla, old oak chips, cookies, cream, vanilla schnapps, and there is a distant whisky cake vibe. The potency of the aromas was moderate. The nose is articulate, even if it is a mouthful... there is a great deal going on here. I need a breather just to figure things out. I can’t say I find the nose inviting but I am interested in taking a sip. I’d call it odd and mystical.

The palate is as strange as the nose suggested. What is the deal with the acidity? This really throws a curveball in the mix. It is like a Milk Stout on crack mixed with bourbon and vanilla schnapps. Okay, I don’t really know what the whole “milk stout on crack” means but you get the point I hope. It reminds me of a lambic and a stout, mixed. At least I can call this beer unusual. I do like, a lot, the chocolate cake taste, the vanilla cookie sensation, and the oaky underbelly. Honestly, I don’t dislike any aspect of this beer, it is just odd but it is growing on me. The finish reminds me of yogurt. Do I really want his in a beer? I guess so… the alcohol burn is minimal but it does supply a good deal of supporting attributes. I wonder if this beer is suppose to have the lactic twang… if not, I could see this beer kicking-ass. If so, this beer is very good, very odd but very good. Without hesitation I would sum up this beer as “wacky as shit.”

Around medium in body, the carbonation is low but very fitting for this beer. The mouthfeel isn’t impressive but it isn’t flawed either. It is good... workable but in order to reach greatness there needs to be more might in the mouthfeel department.

This beer is pretty drinkable, all things considering. There are many pluses but there a couple minuses. When I add them up, the pluses win. This is a good beer but it is nothing I would seek out or buy many of if I had the chance. I would like to try it again but because this beer was so surprising I might like it more now that I have been acclimated. I need to thank mentor for the bottle. It was a gift, what a great guy.

08-16-2005 15:53:06 | More by bditty187
orbitalr0x

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

The Dragon's Milk pours from the bottle a deep dark red tinted black with a sparse, bubbly tan head that falls to a ring around the top. Spotty lacing on the way down...almost no light getting through. Aromas are quite perplexing. I get hints of sweet caramel along with lots of dark fruity tones. There's some oak in the background along with an roasty, toasty aroma. Maybe a hint of licorice and some citrusy hops are thrown in as well. Kind of muddled.

First sip brings some roasty dark malts upfront..slightly sweet with caramel. Infused with a lot of dark fruity, berry flavors and some dry woody tannins as well. A bit of sourness shows up mid palate and is not that pleasant. Finishes with a slight hint of vanilla and citrusy hops and a bit of astringency. An interesting brew...alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is somewhwat light...I was expecting a bit more body. Nice, fast paced carbonation. Seems a bit lacking to me. I'm glad I got to try it but it didn't grab me enough to come back for more.

08-10-2005 03:10:35 | More by orbitalr0x
HopHeadKen

Iowa

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours dark amber brown, porter like in appearance with a thick creamy head of fine, medium and large bubles.

First taste is TART, What is this an oak aged lambic porter ?
The tartness lingers and seems to overwhelm the malt and hops.

Thanks DonO for this one; I am glad I tried it, but it doesn't excite me.

07-30-2005 20:28:59 | More by HopHeadKen
shippos

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

poured witha a deep dark ruby brown witha fluffy rocky light coffee colored head. has a vanillian woody aroma as it's cold...lots of vanilla oak. light amount of carbonation but a slick mouthfeel, velvety with an aged character well rounded to begin witha thin winey oxidized character. has a dry aftertaste witha lingering dry maltiness. complex and wonderful.

06-17-2005 16:26:55 | More by shippos
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Note: I've enjoyed this on tap and in bottles... but the bottles that are out there now are picking up a clean, lactic acid infection that's toatlly destroying this beer. I have alot of them and I'm out of luck! Try one before you buy a few! And don't try to age it.... it's not going to work. If you've got 'em, drink 'em! That said...

This oak-aged olde ale might just be New Holland's best beer yet! Its dark mahogany body is capped by a frothy head of dark tan that holds exceptionally well and leaves clinging sheets of lace throughout the glass. The nose is rich with milk chocolate, caramel, vanilla, wood, a touch of vinous acidity, and mild bourbon. It's ultra-smooth, silky, and medium-bodied but not dextrinous across the palate. The flavor is rich and satiating with notes of a soft chocolate and caramel blend, sweet honey-glazed biscuits, lightly toasty malts, a cusp of dark-kilned and almost roasty malts, vanilla, subtle bourbon, and - oddly enough - some background hops. It's well balanced by a firm bitterness, and it finishes dry with more notes of bourbon, vanilla, wood, and lingering roastiness than it had in the mouth (...blocked by the sweet malts I guess). The alcohol is incredibly well-cloaked; and this one will sneak up on you! Brilliant!!!

05-21-2005 02:55:17 | More by NeroFiddled
oberon

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep deep brown with a one finger tight head that settles quicly leaving a nice sheet of lace behind,some nice caramel aromas along with some malted milk and some of the oak left behind very nice.Very lactic flavors for an old ale malted milk and deep woody flavors along with some chocolate with alate sourness wich I didnt care for much.A very flavorful big beer but not a fan of the sour finish.

05-20-2005 22:04:29 | More by oberon
blitheringidiot

Label explains that in the days of yore, Dragon’s Milk referred to brews reserved for nobility thus the implied Princely honor is mine alone to crack this bottle as such an oblation. “Art in fermented form.”

Dark onyx pour bereft of any light topped by a spotty sudsy tan collar and slick coating that won’t quit throughout the drink to the end, leaving decent tan lace down the glass.

Scents are deep caramel and butterscotch (not the defective kind, mind you) intertwined with toasted malt aromas of cocoa and some caffe au lait.

First swigs: Some sour lemony twinges with creamy stout roasted malts. Flat out butter milk in a way that no other beer has ever displayed. My best guess is that this resembles some milk stouts vis a vis the creamy textures. Aftertaste lingers around chalky blueberry yogurt and coconut.

Medium bodied presence is surprising considering the high 10% ABV and overwhelming olfactory bust. Drinkability is compromised by complexity. This is a specialized brew.

Last swigs: Buttermilk and yogurt. Buckle up for this wicked roller coater ride. This has to be at above fridge temp to be enjoyed. New Holland has some surprises up their collective sleeve such as their wheat wine and this gem. The oak barrel aspect is woven into the flavor. Picked up for $10 smakers a 4 pak at Candlewyck in Bucks County, PA.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

04-25-2005 12:37:42 | More by blitheringidiot
redmosquito

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a ruby brown with a beige head that left lace along the edge of the glass. Aroma is a blend of coffee, rich toasted malt and oak. Flavor is similar, sweet, oaky, slightly tart, with a whiskey finish as it warms. The body is okay, not as big as I would have expected. Overall, this was a nice experience, but I found myself slightly disappointed (New Holland makes some of the best beers in the Midwest).

04-19-2005 21:25:45 | More by redmosquito
SupaCelt

This mug poured a violent purple black. Small, tan cocoa head dissolved into the ringer formation. Sloppy lace was left hanging in tattered curtains. I could barely glimpse carbonation through the thickness of it all.`

The smell had chocolate and coffee and caramel notes. The oak presence was perceptable. The aromas blended nicely together.

The taste was very soothing. The barrel aged ambiance enveloped the other flavours of chocolate and cream. This reminded me a bit of kalooey-n-cream with a smokey barrel flavour. I imagined some melting toffee candies floating in creamy chocolate coffee. This brew was perfect for going with some chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream at a birthday bash. Cripes, it tasted just about like that! Very nicely done. I think this was a cream stout though.

04-19-2005 17:56:53 | More by SupaCelt
gimmehead

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours an inky black with some ruddy highlights and a frothy but short lived head. Smells of bitter roasted malts, sugary lactose sweetness, and some resinous oaky notes. Very malty, slightly burnt bitter flavor. Very complex; vanilla, raisiny sweetness, well hidden alcohol and a somewhat ashy aftertaste with some oaken sourness. This has a creamy full body with a semidry finish that puts me in mind of an Imperial Stout, save the raisiny sweetness.

03-25-2005 02:50:29 | More by gimmehead
ypsifly

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Almost black with a small tan head that lingers for five minutes or so then falls to a small ring. Minimal lacing.

Smells very woody with some roasted malt underneath. The nose reminds me of Bell's Special Double Cream Stout, but this oak is younger.

The wood flavors are also the main component of the taste. After the oak things get fruity for a second, but the finish is a little weird. Like sour wood. On the upside, the abv is undetectable.

Nice, medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The weird woodiness and high abv ruin the drinkability on this one.

03-22-2005 06:42:44 | More by ypsifly
frazbri

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Deep brown, almost black with ruby accents, creamy beige head with good lacing. Milk chocolate, coffee and port aromas. Chocolate, cherries with roast coffee finish. Full body, modest carbonation with creamy mouthfeel.

Dragon's Milk is a rich, fruity beer. The wooden barrel the beer aged in asserts itself as it warms. There is a good balance between sweet, bitter, and tangy elements. The high alcohol content is hidden very well, until you try to stand. New Holland is another fine Michigan brewery. Dragon's Milk is another beer to get you through a midwestern winter.

02-10-2005 01:03:20 | More by frazbri
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A tasty little treat I found a local martini bar (?) for the deliciously fair price of $3.50.

This beer reeks of oak. Honestly, its like drinking dark, liquified tree. Not that is totally a bad thing, but there's something about this one that I find a bit one-dimensional.

The presentation is purty, the mouthfeel and drinkability are actually quite good. But this is not at all worth the money they are charging at local bottle shops for its lack of substance. That said, the alcohol is wickedly hidden. I had no idea (until the hangover) that this was a 10% beer.

Think Guinness on flavor (and alcohol) steroids ... add a heavy dosage of oak and there you go. Tasty ... but nothing i'll go for again.

All things considered, this is a perfect conversion beer for those that think Guinness is the lead dog of "dark" beers!

02-06-2005 19:49:42 | More by GreenWBush
clvand0

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Just found this review written on an old piece of paper. Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this beer. I think the category is wrong. Should be a milk stout. Anyway. Pours a very dark color with a small head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma has a coffee and chocolate malt character, but there is also a slight sourness as well. The flavor is much the same. There are a lot of the chocolate and coffee notes, but there is also a lacto sweetness. It has a strange acidic bite that I don't care much for. It's still a great beer, but it could use a little less of the acidic bite.

02-01-2005 19:18:59 | More by clvand0
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company