Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,595 | Reviews: 1,318
4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

Pour from the tap to a medium head that lingers for a bit then mellows to a white cream around the rim of the glass. Dark, blood red in color. One can easily confuse this for a sweet stout or porter if not careful. It has a sweetness that can only be described as "aged". High in alcohol which when combined with the sweetness makes it kinda like as fine liquor. Only about 2% bitter and extremely smooth. I want the dragon that makes this milk!

~Jonathan Passow

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a molassy dark brown - NOT opaque however - light penetrates through with an amber glow. The aroma of vanilla is there - but no clue of the wood. The initial mouthfeel was lighter than expected as this is billed as from the High Gravity Series and I had expected a maltier (thicker) body. The first taste revealed the high gravity was more at> alcohal content than malt and thus more watery. This can be appreciated in many circles - I recall a friend's college dorm homebrew recipe called "Beggers Blend" impressively gifted in a high gravity Alc-by-Vol content that was sought after for any late hours party (it was basically a dextrose bomb). That comment aside, this beer definitely has more craft at work than those creations. The oak shows up in the flavor in front trumpet while the vanilla plays Montovani (cascading background strings). I'd like to see more work on this creation more at> heavier body while maintaining the Alc-by-Vol. It is a nice beer with a great name and crafte base that deserves a little further in refinements.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours very dark with a thick, dark head. Strong lacing as I drank from my favorite mug.

Very pleasant aroma. Slightly sweet.

The alcohol flavor jumps right out there. Vanilla, oak and some slight sweetness. Some slight mild roasted flavors as well.

Very smooth mouth feel. Goes down well. Possibly too well for a 22oz bottle of 10% beer. This is one to share! A 12 oz bottle would suit me better.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Surprisingly mild coffee/chocolatey flavors but strong vanilla tones

4.17/5  rDev +4%

This is a great beer that has a few different subtle flavors and tastes.

It pours to a deep robust chocolate brown-black hue that has a nice brown lacing that sticks to the side of the snifter I chose to drink this out of.

I detect honey, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, oak, biscuit, and bourben in the first sniff.

I get a deep oaky musty and bourbeney coffee, chocolate caramel taste that leads way to an acidic slightly alochol aftertaste that is blalnced with a matly vanilla finish. I get a lot of vanilla in the 2011 -vs- the 2010 edition. I prefer the 2010. There is slightly too much of an alcohol and vanilla acidic taste that isn't as nice as the more balanced 2010 version. Maybe the barrel was different. Overall this is one of my favortie beers ever. Smooth creamy greatness that goes down easy and smooth, very deliciously balanced stout that is nicely aged and very well done.

Cheers!

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%

Very good bourbon stout. Snifter. Nice flavor not too boozy

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

I've had this in bottles many times so I decided to try a half barrel of it at home.

Appearance: Very dark brown, perhaps mahogany if you look through it at a light. Nice creamy head, lots of lacing, probably more than I remember from bottled versions.

Nose: The first few glasses out of the keg are unbelievably good. Chocolate, woody, toffee, some vanilla and bourbon. Sweet, caramelized sugar. Some of the alcohol is there when it warms up a bit.

Taste: Mirrors the nose, but even more complex. Smooth, bourbon flavors up front. Then some vanilla and maltyness. Finish is chocolate goodness.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation, but I was also using 85% N2/15% CO2. The partial pressure CO2 was probably a bit off, but frankly I enjoyed it anyway. About the same bite as the bottle has, so it couldn't have been too far off. Medium body, very creamy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Just remember to stand up once in a while and take stock of your facilities before you get in trouble.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

I have walked past this bottle many times at my local "Wine Connection" recently and thought it had a realy cool looking label,but alas would always find something else to take home....that all changed untill yesterday when i finaly decided to go for the win.

Poures: A warm chestnutt brown/black from the DBL deuce and formed a pleasing looking deep tan head , that seemed to linger till the end in my pint glass.

Smell: Was rather inviting after getting used to the oak...full of sweet rasins, milk/honey,amaretto,and pecans this has got it all.

Taste: Wow.... toffee, espresso, ritch chocolate. slightly sweet but the one thing that realy stands out was the vanilla taste towards the end. It was utterly fantastic and made me drink one more than I proably should have.

Mouthfeel: Nice and wet going down , it was just so velvety smooth.

Drinkability: This rates verry high on my all time favorite list. Definitely don't pass this up while exploring on your next Beer Adventure.

Overall: The flavor is in constant battle over the aroma to "overtake" command of your senses. This is a "beer" brewed for the sole intent to make you enjoy the moment and forget about your worries and the world around you!

1.87/5  rDev -53.4%

A: It looked dark. Really dark. Nearly black body with just a thing white head. Left behind thin white lacing as well.

S: Smelled mostly like whiskey. Maybe a faint cocoa powder, but mostly just whiskey

T: It tastes like it smells, whiskey. The alcohol is overpowering. Although the brew is only 10%, it tasted like it could have been 20. I could tell it was a familiar taste, but couldn't put my finger on it. Passed it to my little sister who nailed it right no the head. "Irish Car Bomb". It tastes just like an ICB and if you like those you'll love this. I tried to pick up the vanilla notes which the bottle hinted at, but I caught none of them.

M: Heavy and smooth. Swirl it around in your mouth and it will just feel like alcohol fumes.

O: I'm not a fan. Tastes like whiskey more than anything else, definitely not what I'm looking for in a beer. My older brother loves whiskey, so I got him a bottle. He didn't love it, but drank it. I would not get this again.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz poured into a Stone tulip.

Appearance: black with thick, tan head and smooth lacing.

Aroma: malts, molasses, licorice, coffee, dark fruits, and chocolate.

Flavor: chocolate, sweet malts, licorice, syrupy and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: smooth, creamy texture that lasts from start to finish

Overall impression: phenomenal stout! can have two or three in one session.

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a thick creamy head, but that was the highlight of this beer.

S: Overpowering alchol smell with slight hints of vanilla.

T: Can taste the oak from the barrels along with the hints of vanilla can be tasted. With the strong alchol smell I would think it would overpower the taste, but it did not.

M: not bad at first but sharp tang at the end.

D: Was drinkable but could not get over the sharp tang at the end.

Overall I was not very impressed with this beer. With the 10% Alc. can get you buzzed pretty quick.

Cheers!

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle

Pours a very dark brown almost black with little to no head.

Smells strongly of bourbon and vanilla.

Tastes strongly of bourbon and vanilla, boozy, you can taste the 11% at the finish

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, creamy, smooth

Decent beer, but way too bourbony and boozy for me. I prefer a stout where the coffee and chocolate flavors are profiled, this one is not balanced at all. I'll finish it but it may take me all afternoon, it is definitely a "big" beer.

Appearance:
Dark red brown with a varied tan foam head that builds up slowly then falls fairly quickly. Leaves a dense foam ring and a nice sticky lace after each sip.

Smell:
Very complex blend of sweet toffee and caramel, hazelnuts, coffee, chocolate and oak. Incredible.

Taste:
Hugely full and sweet roasted nuts and sweet caramel flavors. No hops or bitterness; smooth, clean and leaves a nice lingering woodsy / coffee aftertaste. Fairly prominent alcohol taste adds to the sweetness.

Mouthfeel:
A little crisp (fizz) but immediately smooths out and rolls on through.

Drinkability:
Comes in a 22oz bottle (marked 8.5% ABV) and is the perfect sipping beer when its a little cold outside. So smooth and full.

Comment:
I bought this beer at the beginning of my beer journey. I must admit that I was drawn into the marketing and picked it up because of the cool label (and because I really didn't know anything about styles at the time). I actually mistook it as a stout until reading more into it. It was immediately my favorite beer and I now buy any "American Strong Ale" or dragon labeled beer out of tribute to this beer and to see if any other is even close to this. I actively seek out this beer and always have one tucked away in the back of the fridge (away from beer thieves) for special occasions or when I am tired of other styles. I'll share a bottle with someone but only if they will appreciate it. This is my #1 favorite brew.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger deep tan head. The head looks so nice and frothy, and then quickly dissapates to a white cap and small ring around the glass.

S - Smells very much like bourbon. Very strong smelling, overwhelming bourbon and alcoholic notes followed by some vanilla and oak and light carmel notes as well as chocolate.

T - Tastes like a malty bourbon. Lots of alcohol on the breath followed by bittersweet chocolate and smooth vanilla notes.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy with light carbonation on the tounge. Very boozy as well. I'm going to cellar a bomber of this I have and hope that the booze settles some.

D - This is a heavy drinker, one or two and thats about all I'd be able to take for a night. Great beer though, just curious to see what ageing will do this beer. I'd love it if the bourbon stays and the alcohol tones mellow.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a deep blackish brown that lets just a little bit of light through. Almost entirely opaque with about one finger of creamy tan head. Great lacing as well.

S- Sweet malty smell with notes of chocolate and coffee.

T- Sweet up front with chocolate flavors and a hint of coffee. Finishes with a oaky aftertaste. A little taste of alcohol too.

M- Full bodied and creamy mouthfeel. The sweet and complex flavors mask the 10% ABV well.

O- A tasty brew with a variety of complex flavors. I enjoyed the aged oak taste that this stout provides. It is both interesting and delicious and the ABV certainly packs a punch.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

I didn't read any of the reviews before drinking this beer, but going back now and looking, I have to say I'm quite surprised at some of the comments.

I appreciate that this beer is black but not opaque. It has a very nice aroma to it, having exactly what I'd expect for such a beer.

The taste is really what brings this down for me. After an initial taste of some slight coffee, oak, and vanilla tones, the alcohol slams the tongue and kills whatever other complexity might be there. After I had 1/2 the beer, I could've sworn I was actually drinking straight bourbon. I kept sipping gently, hoping that I'd get used to it, but the alcohol was there to the very end.

Interesting to try, but the extreme obviousness of the alcohol just ends this one for me. I enjoy beers that were crafted to employ the alchohol as a compliment to the other flavors, not just a one-sided blitzkreig on the tongue. If this WAS to be an alcohol assault from the brewer's perspective, then they did it quite well. I won't be trying this again though.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Serving: 12oz bottle, poured into snifter.

A disclaimer: Right off the bat, I'd strongly argue that this beer is more of a barleywine than a stout. I can see the argument for an American strong ale as well, but I find so much in common with a barleywine that it's hard for me not to evaluate on those standards.

Dragon's Milk pours a dark, near-black pour with no head. A shimmering, cocoa-powder ring of carbonation appears as a late bloomer, creeping up the very top edges of the beer.

One sniff reveals the esters (more on that later), a vanilla bean sweetness and toasty malts.

This beer is incredibly sharp up front, the roasted malts hitting immediately. The body is intense, full of dark fruit notes - prune, plum, fig, and raisin all come to mind. The hops ride in right along the notes from the oak barrel aging, a woody, resinous palette. The finish is almost like drinking brandy - hot, alcoholic, but carrying the lingering notes of all flavors that came before.

Mouthfeel is big, full, round. A booze stew.

Dragon’s Milk makes for a fine sipping brew, enjoyed like a fine scotch. I also have no doubt that this beer will age nicely. That said, I find it occasionally overpowering. The esters give you a nice menopausal hot flash on the way down, a sharp edge that usually seems rounded out to me. I almost find the flavors to be numbing - drink this after dinner, not alongside. Again, I strongly argue that this doesn't fit the same niche that a strong ale or stout would fall under for me. The body is too fruity for another style (savory as it may be) and the alcohol content is far more noticeable than stouts of similar ABV, as well as all I've said before.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

11% ABV and tastes it. The alcohol flavor is front and center and kills off anything that comes near. Fortunately the more the beer becomes room temp, the more the alcohol dies down and lets the roasted flavors come out.

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 22oz bomber, into a large snifter.

Apperance a very dark brown, when held to the light, you can see a hint of dark, ruby red. A thin strip of off white head rimming the glass.

Smell was more like a whiskey, or bourbon, with a hint of vinilla.

Taste, was to say the least, awesome! A heavey alcohol/ bourbon flavor up front. A malty flavor sort of takes over, then gives way to an oaky, wood flavor, and finishes with more whiskey/alcohol taste left in the your month.

Mouthfeel is strong, heavy and warm.

Drinkabilty, well, if I could get this in Arizona, it would always be in my fridge. I enjoyed this beer a lot, one of the better beers I've had in the last year! I'll be seeking out more of this!

4.29/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Dark mahogany color, little in the way of a head and what forms doesn't keep.

Aroma: Caramel , chocolate and lots of vanilla. You can really smell the sweetness.

Taste: Slight phenol notes followed by rich chocolate and oak. his is followed by a strong vanilla aftertaste. This is one of the only beers I've had whose characteristics changed this much.

Mouthfeel: Light velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%

This brew is best served at cellar temp to allow the fullness of the flavors to come through. It pours almost pitch black with a fizzy head that quickly desolves to a ring that laces the glass. When cold the aroma is alcohol and wood and maybe some malt. Once warmed it takes on a completely different aroma--and flavor. At cellar temp the rich vanilla comes out and the oak mellows. The flavor is a nice splash of oaky vanilla. The oak isn't overpowering though. There is a not so subtle twang of alcohol--this is a big big beer and you feel it . Maybe the recipe has been tweaked given what I've read from prior reviews.
In the mouth there is subtle carbonation and a very full bodied flavor that is alcohol warm but still smooth. Not a high drinkability rating--this beer will smack you.

3.04/5  rDev -24.2%

Reviewed from notes

Poured a dark reddish brown but it is too light, I shouldn't be able to see through this at all. The head didn't last that long and some intermittent lacing. Smells of oak, vanilla, little bit of chocolate and some diacetyl. Upon tasting, strong Bourbon, oak tannins, small amount of coffee, and has some spiciness to it. In the mouth, it's thin. There are no lingering flavors or coatings, which would be fine if it where a lighter beer. This was one of my segway beers, helped me appreciate better beer. I think my palette has evolved, it's more difficult to finish this time. It would be an interesting experiment to age one for a year or two and see how it mellows.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 2010 poured from bottle into Green Flash snifter. Pours black with forced cocoa head, which dissipated quickly. Nose catches a fair amount of bourbon, but it is blanketed by coffee/cocoa notes. But i wish those were more pronounce. on the tongue, i pick up rich chocolate, which covers the tongue comfortably. not much bourbon in the taste, which i prefer, as i like sweet stouts. as it was left to warm up and calm down, a sense of the bourbon was brought forth. mouthfeel is decent. a little too bubbly for my tastes. takes away from the sweetness of the cocoa. But! overall, this is a good beer to drink on a more regular basis, when in the craving state of mind.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

Received in a trade a while back.

22oz bottle shared with my friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass at cellar temp.

Appearance is good. Dark plum color with an enormous tan head. Looks like there's a lot of carbonation.

Smell is above average. Bourbon dominates. Dark berries in the background.

Taste is average. Initial flavor of bourbon hits then a sourness develops on the palate. Hints of dark fruit. Metallic aftertaste. Not impressed.

Mouthfeel is below average. Way too much carbonation here. Champagne-esque mouthfeel. Too bubbly.

Drinkability is average. Half a bottle was more than enough.

Overall: I had high hopes for this brew and it failed to deliver. Don't know if i had a bad bottle or what but i wasn't impressed with the mouthfeel or taste. Not a horrible beer but not a good one either.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

This is my first formal review of any beer, beyond jabbering on about how great or horrid it is, so I decided to pick something familiar. So please, bear with me.

A - Poured into a mug, dark reddish-brown with a thin tan head that disspates quickly, leaving a ringlet behind. Some lacing.

S - Smells like roasted malt, and faint smokiness, probably from the oak. Moderate booze smell sort of detracts from it, however.

T - Almost tastes more like a rauchbier at first, with the oak lending a smoky flavor, with strong hints of whiskey. Finishes beautifully with a more basic stout flavor that is nicely complimented by notes of vanilla. Many of this beer's flavors start show through and balance out as it warms.

M - Light carbonation, with a rather buttery, dry finish. Some heat from the alcohol kind of takes away from it.

O - There's a reason I go back to this beer. Being fond of stouts and most rauchbiers, it's nice to have something with that smoky flavor that has the subtleties that this beer does. I would recommend it to anybody that enjoys stouts or smoked flavors.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company