Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%

4.15/5  rDev +4%

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours cola with dissipating off-white head. Smells of cola, chocolate, prunes, raisins. Tastes of chocolate raisins, plums, booze, bourbon, slight brown sugar and residual soy sauce aftertaste. Heavy body with light carbonation. Thick, syrupy. Dragon diarrhea after a night of Eithiopian food.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black indeed. The beer poured a non existent head and had absolutely no lacing wheresoever. The beer was overly sweet and very dry. Alcohol was just too high I thought which messes with the taste of beer. I will not buy again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

12-oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A = Very dense, mahogany liquid when viewed without light behind it, but showing dark ruby colors at edges when held up. Has a very small light tan head that recedes very quickly leaving light tracery on the surface.

S & T = Scents of vanilla, cocoa powder, sweet treacle. Most of the smells also show up in the taste but there is also a plastic taste and a certain thinness up front, by mid-palate though there are good tastes of cream moderated by slight bitterness of oak, vanilla and cafe latte without any sugar added.

M = Medium to medium-heavy body, very good mouthcoating, creamy full soft feel.

D = I do like this beer, but somehow it just doesn't draw me to each sip like I would prefer. I find after half a bottle I've really had enough. Good, but not good enough.

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

New Holland Dragon's Milk

Poured from 22 ounce bottle into CBS snifter. Served very slightly chilled.

A) Dark brown with a reddish tint upon closer inspection. A finger of tan head, which quickly dissipated to a wispy dusting. Some alcohol legs noted as well.

S) A fairly sweet scent which consists of vanilla and a little bit of brown sugar. This is a little bit woody, and you can just pick up a bit of that cask aroma. A hint of alcohol.

T) A fair amount of roasted malt, and a good amount of vanilla flavor as well. The fact that it is barrel aged is definitely noted in the flavor, however the bourbon is not overpowering. A light alcohol tingle in the finish.

M) Medium bodied and minimal carbonation. This is smooth. I guess it could've been a little heavier, but it had a nice feel. A nice barrel aged aftertaste awaits.

O) As far as Bourbon barrel aged stouts are concerned, I have to say, I enjoyed this beer. Bourbon County Brand Stout is one of my favorite beers of all time. This isn't in that league, but it is quite good, and definitely worth a try. It's tasty, and it certainly gave me a good buzz on a work night, which I needed big time. Glad to recommend this brew....

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into my large tulip glass. Black but only at the center. The edges get more transparent. Two fingers of light tan creamy head top this brew nicely. Lace looks like it could be sewn onto a silk nighty.

Smell...Ether. The sweet roasted malt bill comes out next, followed by chocolate and coffee...or coffee and chocolate. There really isn't any barrel coming through. Maybe a hint of vanilla, but no wood at all.

Taste is sweet roasted caramel malts. It tastes almost like a Baltic porter. Chocolate, coffee, and some tartness. I want to say there is a "red" sweetness. Very tasty beer, but not a good example of a "barrel aged" stout.

Overall very very good beer. I am really enjoying it. I guess I am just disappointed by the fact that the label says, in big letters, Barrel Aged Ale. I didn't even know it was a stout until I came to this page. But other than that, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I think this is the best freebie from my buddy McNuts. Thanks Keith! Cheers!!

EDIT: The bottle I reviewed was marked Vintage 2010. I am enjoying a 2011 bottle right now (08/18/11) that is very different from the last. I can't smell any of the alcohol like the first. The taste is much more barrel. Quite a nice difference. I am only going to change the overall score from a 4 to a 4.5 on this. This is something you should ask your Midwest trading partners to add. Note: The 2010 was a 22oz. bomber and this one is a 12oz. bottle. A little easier to get as an extra. Thanks to davesway10 for this one.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company