New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -2%

2010 vintage

Dark brown with russet highlights and a sandy brown head.

Bourbon is the first thing I notice upon putting my nose in the glass and inhaling some of the liquid:) Toasty cocoa and oak notes hangin' out with some vanilla and molasses biotches. Not overdone or overpowering aroma, it's just pleasant.

Some boozy heat on the tongue, but that's okay being that there are noticable bourbon notes for it to stick to. Toasty caramel, chocolate, and bourbon flavors lead to a warm feeling in my tummy; the body has some soft richness, but could use a touch more. It's no oak aged yeti, but I have faith in aging a bottle or two of this for a few. Mellow this sucka out.

brownbeer, Aug 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Black pour with ruby edges,one finger tan head.Aroma of vanilla,chocolate,burbon,oak,and dark roasted barly very nice. Flavor is complex and changes as it warms,sweet boozy vanilla creamy oaky honey burbon goodness. Full creamy mouthfeel,chewy and sticky.This came highly reccomended, I now agree.... Good stuff !

WakeandBake, Dec 30, 2008

AndyEdgar, Jun 24, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Brushkanna, Jul 12, 2012

Goldfishman, Jul 06, 2014

Beezee, Feb 21, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -7%

A - Looks like a stout, black like a stout, brown head like a stout that dissipates quickly.

S - A slight bourbon smell. Dark Chocolate & molasses.

T - Sweet bourbon, malty, licorice, brown sugar and subtle coffee notes.

M - Medium bodied, somewhat syrupy.

O - It's not bad... The bourbon notes could be more pronounced & the sweet taste isn't to my liking.

cvm4, May 13, 2012

davemathews68, Feb 01, 2014

adamant1912, Jun 29, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

meanmutt, Apr 17, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a chalice. This strong ale is a deep deep ruby, that appears almost black until you hold it to some light. Rather like a porter in color. I got a very thin head that faded quickly with a minimum of lacing.

Aroma is dark and mysterious, warm and inviting. Dark malts, prune and some spice. Alcohol also present in the nose.

Taste has hints of bourbon, dark fruit, spice, and an alcohol finish.

The mouthfeel is not as heavy as expected. There is not much carbonation to speak of.

This is a great beer to sip and as it warms me up inside I am looking forward to pouring the rest of the bomber. Recommended!

ZimZamZoom, Jan 20, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

20th Review...12oz bottle poured into a Rahr pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black that shows a bit of light through but not much. Small tan head that fades to a small ring and leaves no lacing. I even poured this pretty aggressively and it didn't make much of a head.

S: The smell is great, smells like a slightly fainter version of BCS. Cocoa, roasted malt, sweet molassess and a slight boozy whiskey aroma.

T: The molasses really takes over in the taste but is not as powerful as BCS. I also get flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa, and a slighty boozy flavor...maybe the whiskey. It could use a little more flavors from the barrel aging but it's evident.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin but creamy and carbonated well. I feel this should be thicker but it's not a stout so I didn't deduct too much.

D: I would have this again if it was readily available. The ABV isn't extremely high but it's enough that you wouldn't want to drink a 6er or anything.

Unfortunately the online store I bought this from only had one 12oz bottle left. I wouldn't mind having this on hand to drink occasionally.

GregSVT, Oct 03, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

2011 vintage 12oz bottle poured into snifter

A- comes out of the bottle very dark, almost black and sits in the glass flat black. The head is a smaller 1 finger and is slightly off white. It doesnt have too much retention and leaves very little laving.

S- The first thing I get is chocolate and a roasty scent followed up with a slight alcohol sting. Theres a tiny hop bitterness hidden in there but very small. Not a ton of smells going on, but whats there smells nice

T- Roasty smoke gets me upfront along with a bitter chocolate. The woody oak comes through in the middle as well as an alcohol bite that isnt really that bad. Theres a sweetness like caramel or toffee in the end that follows to the finish which is slightly bitter. Nice things going on here.

M- Big thick feel with little carbonation. chewy and heavy is what i like in stouts. mouthfeel is spot on.

O-

Gushue3, Sep 21, 2011
4.66/5  rDev +17.1%

I've had this on tap a number of times at Jacs (Madison). And while my wife loves it, I've always felt overwhelmed by its bourbon-barrel booziness. But somehow now that I'm having it from a 12 oz. bottle, I find it enchanting. Seems counter-intuitive that the alcohol would be better hidden coming from a bottle than from a tap. But the vanilla roundness and lactose sweetness play front and center, and I now love it.

martyl1000, Jun 14, 2012

Robyn, Aug 07, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

brbrocc, Aug 26, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My ex-father in law was born in Holland, MI. For years I associated Holland with the conservative Dutch Reformers who frown on beer (and all alcohol). Now comes this brew which I shared with friends who came home to help repair my ailing computer.

A: It poured a dark black body that when back lit was ruby red. The head was a moderate dark tan despite an aggressive pour. The head receded fast to a ring around the collar and there was a modest and diminishing lacing.

S- After resting it emitted the aroma of richly toasted malts, vanilla and caramel as well as hints of chocolate, nuts and bourbon.

T: My first impression was not all that favorable but as I got deeper into the beer my esteem grew. It had a smooth rich roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The flavors of the oak added to the nutty flavors and the hops were recessive but gave the back side a touch of tang and diluted coffee. The high ABV was well hidden.

M: It had a medium creamy body with low carbonation and a warm sweet finish.

D: This beer grew on me. It is light enough to last long into the night but the high ABV would catch up with me and cause an early end to the night. My respect for Holland, MI was reestablished by this nice solid brew.

dnichols, May 10, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Received as an extra and opened after a long day.

A - poured a little lighter than I expected, but sits dark with just a light tan ring around the glass. It swirls around the glass a little more freely than most BA stouts.

S - classic barrel aged stout nose, with a good bit of caramelized sugar, vanilla, booze, dark chocolate, a little coconut and coffee. As it warms im getting some cola aromas.Pretty complex.

T - A little bit of a letdown from the nose but certainly well done. At first I get a sort of boozy cola flavor that tastes better as it goes down. Vanilla, oak, some coconut and milk chocolate come out. Very warming and a bit hot in the finish.

M - a bit thin in my opinion and the carbonation is a bit too prickly. I think with a bit more body and a touch less carbonation this beer would really shine.

O - glad I got to try it and I am enjoying it very much, but it's not in my top BA stouts. Certainly very good and well executed but I prefer something with a bit more body. Still a solid beer and I appreciate the 12 ounce size.

jbuddle, Apr 25, 2012

Twal, Dec 05, 2012
4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

rkarimi, Apr 02, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Benesi88, Apr 10, 2014
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company