Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,287 | Hads: 4,798

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle

Pours a very dark brown almost black with little to no head.

Smells strongly of bourbon and vanilla.

Tastes strongly of bourbon and vanilla, boozy, you can taste the 11% at the finish

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, creamy, smooth

Decent beer, but way too bourbony and boozy for me. I prefer a stout where the coffee and chocolate flavors are profiled, this one is not balanced at all. I'll finish it but it may take me all afternoon, it is definitely a "big" beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

2014 vintage
Almost completely black. The most slight ruby around extremities of glass. Kaki head, about one finger, quickly receded.

Excellent roasted malt and bourbon aroma.

Taste is quite nice. This is very easy drinking. Vanilla and bourbon. The bourbon is not as intense as many of the more aggressive bourbon barrel aged beers. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. This is not really the same experience that you will get from Parabola, KBBS, or some of the other great bourbon stouts. That said, I bought this for $5.09 for a 22oz bomber and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Nice and sticky. Not too much carbonation.

Overall, this is a very good beer. The bourbon could be more intense, but as it is the beer is very well balanced and goes down extremely well.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: deep brown with lighter brown accents at the edges; 1 finger tan head that receded quickly to a thin collar; nice lacing;

S: definitely a bit of bourbon;

T: bourbon and vanilla come first, then I noticed the alcohol; the vanilla stays all the way with deeply roasted malt building from mid-palate;

M: sticky; moderate carbonation;

O: I love bourbon, so this beer is right up my alley;

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

did not enjoy. i'm not a huge fan of high ABV beers but people had been nagging me, telling me i was going to like this one. i finally picked it up. i like all the new holland beers i have tried (the poet might be my favorite beer ever) but this was more than a disappointment to me.

the smell, the taste, the aftertaste - all of it kind of repulsed me.

i wasn't a fan of the 10% thing, but it was more the taste here. this just wasn't a good beer to me. in fact, i'd go as far as to say i found it a bad beer.

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle. 2014 Vintage. Pours a dark brownish black color with a thin ring of khaki head. Good amount of lacing. The aroma is Bourbon at first followed by some oak, vanilla, roasted malts, and chocolate. The taste is bourbon and oak. Chocolate and roasted malts as well. Hints of charcoal and earth. Finishes with some nice Bourbon notes. Very noticeable alcohol warmth. Lightly carbonated with a heavy-ish mouthfeel. This is a great year round Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout. Overall, fantastic.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep, mahogany red/brown body with thin but persistent, creamy head. Milk chocolate, mocha, and a slight bourbon nose in the aroma. Coconut, baker's chocolate, booze, and vanilla flavors. Heavy body with a smooth, velvety, thick mouthfeel.

A most impressive tasting stout. The flavors and feel really shine with big, robust character. The malt component creates a deliciously dark treat; sweetness and bitterness all nicely balanced. The relatively high alcohol content is noticeable but doesn't over-ride any of the malt and hop goodness while the bourbon barrel aging greatly adds to the overall character of the beer. Another fine Michigan beer offering...

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark brown, near black with a thick head. The smell was very sweet with both the malt and vanilla. There wasn't any real wood I could pick up on in the nose. The taste was very nice with vanilla, malt, and coffee and chocolate flavors being predominant. The bourbon wood came through in the finish with an oakey, slightly sweet flavor that I found delicious.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

A 10 oz. pour at Tyler's Taproom in Apex on 9/15/2014. Dark, decent head. Aroma more like a lighter roast. Milk chocolate and toffee flavor. A bit of alcohol toward the finish. Bittersweet finish. Heavy body and medium carbonation. Sit on this for 6 months to let the alcohol mellow, and put it on nitro, it would be near perfect.

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Re-review in this bottle now that my beer palate has grown and I know a bit more about good beer!

From a bottle into my Shorts snifter. Pitch black with kaki head and minimal lace.

Smell is black licorice and dark chocolate with hints of roasted malts. I get some sweetness in the aroma as well.

Rich roasted malt flavor with coco and coffee. The licorice isn't as prevalent as with the smell but it does bite a bit on the finish.

Feel is amazing. This beer is so smooth and has almost no booze which is great for a beer with this high abv.

The overall for this is strong! I'm going to be back for this again.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Very strong alcohol nose and taste at first, a little more than my rookie self likes. As it warms up however, the "alcoholness" fades (though never disappears) to a much more enjoyable level and the taste is much more balanced. Enjoyed it quite a bit after the alcohol burn faded, not so much 'til then.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Very dark (almost black) brown color. Faint head that disappears relatively quickly--not a huge deal with a stout or other beer that concentrates of malts instead of hops. Carbonation seems light. (4.25)

Smell: Roasted coffee and cocoa at the start but faint notes of vanilla, bourbon, and caramel that is pleasantly intoxicating. (4.5)

Taste: Very sweet in the beginning, very caramel, vanilla and milk-like. Tastes almost like this started as a milk stout but aged into an Imperial Stout. Quickly the sweetness dilutes and a rich deep body of flavor comes out. Almost like a burnt sugar flavor: similar to what sweetness comes from a dark caramel, caramelized onions, or roasted garlic (by similarities, not exact taste). Slight boozy taste as well but not overbearing. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, high gravity. Great weight on the tongue and the high gravity takes away much of the booziness. (4.25)

Overall: Great beer, like a desert in a bottler. Tried from a fresh bottle but I have a second bottle that I am cellaring for an amount of time to experiences a further aged taste. (4.5)

Final Score: 4.4/5

22 ounce bottle at fridge temp split between two pint glasses. E024 10:09 appears to be the bottle code.

Pours black with a small head, little carbonation. Smell is bourbon, plain and simple. Luckily I like bourbon.

Taste is much more muted bourbon with some interesting side notes, like soft chocolate and strong cherry which fits in very well.

Mouthfeel is viscous. Overall, very good.

From a 355 ml bottle (2014 Vintage) into a snifter.

A-The beer looks thin on the pour, but it settles in the glass with a finger of mocha-colored head that lasts for about a minute before fading to a thick collar. The liquid is inky black. No lacing on this one.

S-The aroma is rich with a moderate amount of roast flavor that suggests coffee and cocoa powder. The barrel is subtle with vanilla, caramel, and a hint of bourbony, boozy sweetness. Alcohol is pretty well concealed for 11% ABV.

T-The taste shows off more of the barrel with loads of vanilla, caramel, a touch of oak, and sweet, burnt sugar notes that indicate bourbon. The beer drinks thicker than it looks with tasty notes of cream and milk chocolate, and a bit of coffee/roasted flavors.

M-This beer is on the heavy side of average with lower levels of carbonation.

O-It is nice to see this beer in Colorado. It may not be a huge, complex, special-occasion-sipper like Uncle Jacobs or BCS, but it drinks quite well for the price (I can get four of these for the price of one UJ). I like the mouthfeel, in particular, which has a nice chewy texture that fits well with the flavors.

This was one the first craft beers I was introduced to - it's time for a review.
12oz bottle, Vintage 2014, 11% ABV. I remember this being less ABV in previous years and described as "ale aged in oak barrels" (like the photo to the left) rather than the updated description of "bourbon barrel stout". Not sure of when and why the change. Marketing perhaps.
A 4 - thin foamy tan head atop a dark brown cola-like colored body
S 4 - vanilla, oak, boozy bourbon, roasted barley, caramel
T 4 - boozy with bourbon, vanilla, oak, roasted barley, dark chocolate, earthy and peppery on the finish
M 4 - fuller body, very smooth, lower carbonation, alcohol is expectedly noticeable
O 4 - always a good one to come back to. It's been a few years, but just as good as I remember.

Excellent roasted aroma followed by a smooth mouth feel and an oaken finish. It is an excellent Imperial and the stronger ABV can be tasted in the finish. Great sipping beer on a cold night.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Procured from Arnolds Likker Locker in Keene, NY. Poured from bottle into Willy glasses and shared. A deep opaque black with espresso cream brown head that stays around fairly well.

The first thing I noticed in the aroma was coffee, then bourbon, then caramel. Very nice aroma.

Taste is really great. The bourbon and caramel/toffee hit first followed by slight roast, coffee and just a bit of bitterness. A very well balanced taste that cloaks the high ABV.

Mouth is thinner than expected, but that seems to work very well in this beer. I don't think it would be as good if it were more heavy and viscous.

Overall, I love this beer. I don't think I can get it locally, so I'll have to make the ferry ride over to NY more often.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a large snifter.
Pours jet black with minimal lightly colored head.
Smells amazing. Roasty coffee, toffee, vanilla notes...
Tastes even better. Coffee , toffee, vanilla and bourbon all present. No alcohol burn from the bourbon which is welcome.
Mouthfeel was thin, would have liked it a touch more chewy.
Overall I loved this beer. Wonderful!

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Fresh Craft. Dark black, almost no head whatsoever. Aroma is slightly boozy, touch of barrel. Flavor is good, vanilla, booze, barrel and stout. The body is a little thin. Overall, not bad, I'd like a four pack please.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow, this is a good beer. (I would like to add now a caveat: I don't like this new review system) Anyway, to the main reason I am here. This beer has everything going for it in my opinion. However I would not drink more than one at a time.

Black as night, some caramel foamy head on top that dissipates after a few minutes. But never really goes away completely.

Smell: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, lots of deep dessert like aroma's coming from this one.

Taste: Here you go, this is where its at. Not too sweet, not too bitter, not too much of that coffee thing that tends to ruin this style of beer. It has a nice softness to it considering its a carbonated beer. I wonder how good this one would be on nitro? Like drinking a brownie with bourbon. This is just an awesome beer, one of the best I have had in a long time. I also purchased the chili pepper version. That is not something I would normally purchase, but since this one was so good I thought I would give it a try in the future.

Overall: If you have never tried this beer and you like stouts that are not too burnt tasting, not too much of that coffee thing. This I think is referred to a "milk stout", which is a style I am now just discovering, because honestly it was not something I would have normally tried. But, thanks to Beer Camp and the double latte for turning me on to this style.

Poured into a snifter. Appearance is nearly black, with a half-inch creamy light brown head that faded within a minute or two. The nose is very boozy up front, almost mediciny, with some slight notes of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. I didn't get the alcohol in the taste, as the malts covered it nicely. A bit of chocolate and some dark fruit flavors lasted on the back end. As it warmed, the chocolate really came out. I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin for such a big beer. Overall, a pretty damn good imp stout, I'd buy it again! I'm going to throw a few in the cellar to see well they hold up with some time on them.

12 oz bottle from 2014 poured into snifter

A- Dark brown, a bit thin, almost no head.
S- Not a hugely areomatic beer... carmel, slight bourbon, roasted malt
T- Nice base beer althought it seems much more like a porter than a stout to me. Roasted malts, very balanced. Thin and sweet bourbon flavor comes through on the back end. Maybe a bit of vanilla.
M - Medium. Leaves your mouth sticky.

O- Great every day "bourbon barrel" aged beer. Very accessable for those who want to start

One of my absolute favorite beers! Had this on cask at New Holland and it tasted much creamier than the regular Dragon's Milk...tasted JUST like a chocolate shake!

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

22 oz bottle was poured into a snifter.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted coffee, earthy, vanilla, bourbon, oak, a little booze, toffee, caramel,

Taste: There is a nice balance between the stout and bourbon barrel flavors with a little heat in the end.

Mouthfeel: Silky, creamy, full bodied, smooth, a little booze, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: For an 11% bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, this is one I'll have to buy and age for a bit. This was a nice sipper that got better when it warmed up a bit.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

04/26/14 From bottle. Started out on the wrong foot. I was eating & this just didn't enhance the meal at all. Once I was finished & it had warmed a bit, it showed a multi-layered profile. The most impressive taste to me was the toffee. I've heard this characteristic used many times but it has eluded me...until this bottle. Very smooth with a strange mix of oiliness but not particularly thick. Next time I'll get a piece of sharp cheese to play off the best of this well made brew. Hold the presses...10%? A very deceptive 10%.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company