Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,271 | Hads: 4,675

Excellent roasted aroma followed by a smooth mouth feel and an oaken finish. It is an excellent Imperial and the stronger ABV can be tasted in the finish. Great sipping beer on a cold night. (192 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Procured from Arnolds Likker Locker in Keene, NY. Poured from bottle into Willy glasses and shared. A deep opaque black with espresso cream brown head that stays around fairly well.

The first thing I noticed in the aroma was coffee, then bourbon, then caramel. Very nice aroma.

Taste is really great. The bourbon and caramel/toffee hit first followed by slight roast, coffee and just a bit of bitterness. A very well balanced taste that cloaks the high ABV.

Mouth is thinner than expected, but that seems to work very well in this beer. I don't think it would be as good if it were more heavy and viscous.

Overall, I love this beer. I don't think I can get it locally, so I'll have to make the ferry ride over to NY more often. (738 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a large snifter.
Pours jet black with minimal lightly colored head.
Smells amazing. Roasty coffee, toffee, vanilla notes...
Tastes even better. Coffee , toffee, vanilla and bourbon all present. No alcohol burn from the bourbon which is welcome.
Mouthfeel was thin, would have liked it a touch more chewy.
Overall I loved this beer. Wonderful! (379 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap at Fresh Craft. Dark black, almost no head whatsoever. Aroma is slightly boozy, touch of barrel. Flavor is good, vanilla, booze, barrel and stout. The body is a little thin. Overall, not bad, I'd like a four pack please.

A:4
S:3.75
T:3.75
M:3.5
O:3.75 (260 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Wow, this is a good beer. (I would like to add now a caveat: I don't like this new review system) Anyway, to the main reason I am here. This beer has everything going for it in my opinion. However I would not drink more than one at a time.

Black as night, some caramel foamy head on top that dissipates after a few minutes. But never really goes away completely.

Smell: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, lots of deep dessert like aroma's coming from this one.

Taste: Here you go, this is where its at. Not too sweet, not too bitter, not too much of that coffee thing that tends to ruin this style of beer. It has a nice softness to it considering its a carbonated beer. I wonder how good this one would be on nitro? Like drinking a brownie with bourbon. This is just an awesome beer, one of the best I have had in a long time. I also purchased the chili pepper version. That is not something I would normally purchase, but since this one was so good I thought I would give it a try in the future.

Overall: If you have never tried this beer and you like stouts that are not too burnt tasting, not too much of that coffee thing. This I think is referred to a "milk stout", which is a style I am now just discovering, because honestly it was not something I would have normally tried. But, thanks to Beer Camp and the double latte for turning me on to this style. (1,372 characters)

Poured into a snifter. Appearance is nearly black, with a half-inch creamy light brown head that faded within a minute or two. The nose is very boozy up front, almost mediciny, with some slight notes of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. I didn't get the alcohol in the taste, as the malts covered it nicely. A bit of chocolate and some dark fruit flavors lasted on the back end. As it warmed, the chocolate really came out. I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin for such a big beer. Overall, a pretty damn good imp stout, I'd buy it again! I'm going to throw a few in the cellar to see well they hold up with some time on them. (629 characters)

12 oz bottle from 2014 poured into snifter

A- Dark brown, a bit thin, almost no head.
S- Not a hugely areomatic beer... carmel, slight bourbon, roasted malt
T- Nice base beer althought it seems much more like a porter than a stout to me. Roasted malts, very balanced. Thin and sweet bourbon flavor comes through on the back end. Maybe a bit of vanilla.
M - Medium. Leaves your mouth sticky.

O- Great every day "bourbon barrel" aged beer. Very accessable for those who want to start (492 characters)

One of my absolute favorite beers! Had this on cask at New Holland and it tasted much creamier than the regular Dragon's Milk...tasted JUST like a chocolate shake! (165 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz bottle was poured into a snifter.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted coffee, earthy, vanilla, bourbon, oak, a little booze, toffee, caramel,

Taste: There is a nice balance between the stout and bourbon barrel flavors with a little heat in the end.

Mouthfeel: Silky, creamy, full bodied, smooth, a little booze, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: For an 11% bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, this is one I'll have to buy and age for a bit. This was a nice sipper that got better when it warmed up a bit. (710 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

04/26/14 From bottle. Started out on the wrong foot. I was eating & this just didn't enhance the meal at all. Once I was finished & it had warmed a bit, it showed a multi-layered profile. The most impressive taste to me was the toffee. I've heard this characteristic used many times but it has eluded me...until this bottle. Very smooth with a strange mix of oiliness but not particularly thick. Next time I'll get a piece of sharp cheese to play off the best of this well made brew. Hold the presses...10%? A very deceptive 10%. (529 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

New Holland's Dragon's Milk is a stout I've wanted to try for some time. I'm not disappointed.

Bought a single bottle off the shelf of a local libations carrier. It poured black as night with a nice foamy, tan head. It smells of vanilla and burnt oak barrels. The bourbon is very much present. Taste-wise there's a real burnt flavor mixed with vanilla, hops, and prominent is the bourbon flavor.

This is an extremely rich-flavored stout. It's a special occasion kind of beer. Like old friends getting together, or a brisk fall evening by the fire, or just to enjoy on a Friday night with tunes spinning on the turntable, like I'm doing right now. (650 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

reviewed from notes 11/25/12
Pours clear and almost black in color can barely see through it unless you hold it up to the light then its very dark reddish brown. Smells very oaky and sweet with notes of vanilla low high carbonation tastes extremely overpowering...nope IS overpowering, way tooo rich! gut-rot! style I'd give a 3 out of 5 over all for me thoe a 1.5. The local craft beer magazine here "The Growler" I usually agree with but the review on this one couldn't be more off: "Super creamy stout" I find the body very thin for a stout. "Loads of caramel" I wish, I didn't even get a hint of it! "Tootsie Rolls" where?! "Roasted nuts" Nope! (648 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly light brown on the pour, settling into a very dark, but still noticeably brown, brew. Nice solid creamy tan head. Retention is OK for the style, fading to a thin bubbly topper, leaving beautiful lacing down the side of the glass.

Nose has big hints of banana, chocolate, and roasted barley. Bourbon is very much a secondary aroma; this is a big stout first. Sharp edges of overripe fruit; big oak notes.

Flavor is a wonderfully balanced and delightful trip down all the flavors in the nose, with a much more prominent bourbon note. Extremely soft; can a big stout be delicate? Not particularly bitter, even from the roast.

Bourbon is strongest approaching the back-end, and lingers on the finish with a nice alcohol heat. Smooth chocolate and vanilla, with a solid dose of roasted barley, feature on the front end, but the sweet bourbon overtakes it, carrying with it red grapes, prunes, and oak.

Soft, sticky mouthfeel - relatively thin, especially for the style. Long wet finish.

This is a very nice stout, and certainly the kind of beer a bourbon lover would love. I would prefer the bourbon to take more of a back seat; I'd imagine age does this beer very well. This is a very good beer, but it definitely cannot match up with the best versions of the style. (1,280 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A- jet black, with a thin khaki head that doesn't last very long. Some alcohol legs, and minor lacing.

S- Lots of semi-sweet chocolate, with a touch of vanilla, oak, and coffee.

T- Sweeter than I expected. Lots of semi-sweet chocolate and roast, with heavy tones of oak and vanilla. Alcohol sweetness is very present.

M- could use it to be just a touch thicker/creamier, and a touch less carbonated.

O- When so many people chase KBS and BCBS, it's nice to have a decent, readily available barreled stout! (545 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown, but the light passes easily along the edge of the glass. Modest head but it lasts throughout the tasting. Minimal lace.

Chalky, semi-sweet chocolate aroma.

There's a touch of cola to the initial taste. The swallow brings about a very strong alcohol kick--very much like bourbon like the barrel it comes from. Thin body with a modest carbonation. (366 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Paper hotel cup
From: World Market in Mooresville, N.C.
Price: $7.99
Purchased: July 31, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 2, 2014
Misc.: Vintage 2014, but missed the rest of the other stuff

Poured a black color with two fingers of tan head. Above average lacing on the sides of the cup. Above average retention on the top of the cup.

Smelled fudge, dark chocolate, maple syrup, toffee, caramel, bourbon, candied chocolate and chocolate syrup.

Tasted caramel, toffee, chocolate syrup, fudge, bourbon, vanilla, candied chocolate and fig newton. Pretty tasty.

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, smooth finish.

A pretty awesome beer. Wish I would have grabbed some more. (705 characters)

Ever since a customer implored me to pick Dragon's Milk up after expressing frustration that we only had one bomber left in the store, this beer was on my radar for quite sometime. Managed to score the last one at the store and try it on for size. This is my first bourbon barrel stout and my first offering from New Holland Brewing Company. Reasonably high expectations.

Appearance - Very dark, heavy brown, with lacing at the top that resembles a freshly-brewed cup of coffee. A very appealing look for a promising beer.

Smell - Smells mostly of bourbon and alcohol, with subtle but present hints of vanilla, raisins, and oak. A big winner in the aesthetic department, if I do say so myself.

Taste - Tastes almost like alcoholic coffee, with beautiful, remarkable flavors of dark coffee, vanilla, raisins, oak, and bourbon exploding in every sip. I emphasize the word "sip;" there's no way you could chug or force one of these beers down quickly. The beer is much too heavy, dark, and delicious for that.

Mouthfeel - Despite the combination of many flavors, and a strong, hearty body, there is really no bitterness that I've grown to loathe in many beers, and the mouthfeel is quite pleasing overall.

Dragon's Milk is quite the beer, through and through - a carefully-crafted but miraculously executed bourbon barrel stout, combining numerous different flavors and wonderful aromas to make a winning product. Only wish it wasn't so thick and filling, but it's a small price to pay for such a pleasant beer. (1,513 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very good stout. A little too strong but as dessert perfect. Smell and taste are beautiful together! You can clearly smell that this stout is brewed in a bourbon barrel as the smell clearly provides some strong bourbon flavor which is great. This beer is definitely brewed to enjoy slowly. I agree with some people who can taste some chocolate taste (ties back into dessert). (375 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%

Ehhh. I am disappointed. 1 bottle costed $6, had an epic name/label....and it looked fantastic when I poured it. Beautiful persistent off white head and just about pitch black color. The smell was very mild. What I did smell was mostly bourbon/whiskey. A bit of roasted malt. Taste was a huge let down. Tastes like cough syrup. I don't taste coffee, or chocolate, a bit of bourbon, mostly an artificially flavored dark fruit cough syrup. That was the mouth feel too, like a cough syrup. Disappointed. Won't buy again. (517 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my tulip.

A – Black. Small amount of chocolate mile colored head that left trace lacing around the glass.

S – Roasted malts. Chocolate. Bourbon. Sweet cream.

T – Deep and rich chocolate and roasted malt taste. Burnt and smoky wood flavors. Creamy vanilla flavoring almost like a homemade whip cream. Light sweetness and a good solid kick of bourbon flavor. Taste the ABV at the end.

M – Smooth on the palate. Tingly. Low carbonation. Finishes easy.

O – Very nice. This has a solid assortment of flavors. Bourbon is all over it but not overwhelming it. Love the roasted malts and vanilla highlights. Wish I had picked up more while I was in Savannah. (703 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is another amazing stout... I can smell bourbon, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla on the pour. Nice finger-thick head that slowly dissipates to a nice thick disk of foam, with great lacing around the glass. Taste has all of the above plus all the malt you can stand, plus a little hops in the backbone. The alcohol is noticeable on the finish. Overall, this is a good sipper for a night! (390 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall. (560 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer deserves a higher score than 89. If you enjoy bourbon aged ales, you will adore this malt monster. Not for the weak of heart at 11%. It has an alcohol forward taste that does not mellow as it warms. A true work of art as far as my taste buds are concerned. (266 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My buddy Small Paul hooked me up with this brew as a sample from the supplier he works with. He was really excited about this giving me this brew, as he knew I was a) a bourbon fan and b) a fan of stouts. By default, that makes me a huge fan of Bourbon Barrel Stouts and other such whisky inspired brews. I was looking very much forward to this as well. Side poured from the bottle into a custom Boulevard/Deschutes event tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours just like a nice solid stout should pour. Dark, basically black, with little head or retention to speak of. Looks like coffee inside the glass, which is exactly what I want. Cool packaging on the brew.

Smell - Fudge, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits. Everything you would expect from a bourbon branded beer except: bourbon! A smidge disappointing. I could only detect a slight odor, if at all, of actual bourbon. I still rated the beer highly, but I would like to see a little more bourbon notes.

Taste - Follow the nose closely, and again, lacking on the bourbon punch or burn. Vanilla, roasted malts, dark fruits, very tasty and satisfying.

Mouthfeel - Ultra smooth. I rated this portion higher because of the smoothness of the 10% ABV and the velvety character of the beer. While adding bourbon, like I have suggested, would result in a higher rating in smell and taste, it would add a bourbon burn to the mouthfeel. While that is off-putting to many drinkers, it is not to me.

Overall - As I have stated, I would like to see more of a bourbon character in a beer with bourbon right there on the label. With that being said, this is an excellent beer otherwise, and highly recommended. Just forget the bourbon part, and drink it as an imperial stout or something like that. (1,741 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Bell's Hopslam glass

A) Dark brown, cola, no head

S) oak, vanilla, bourbon

T) Sweet cola, bourbon, vanilla, root beer?, interesting beer

M) Low carbonation

O) for a $15 BA four pack it's worth it. Not the best BA stout, but it's good to appease the palate as well as the wallet. (298 characters)

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company