New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
NickyDee21

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

12-07-2012 20:11:09 | More by krl2112
kojevergas

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Served on-draught into a stemflute in a Minneapolis bar. Reviewed from notes taken around Thanksgiving 2012.

A: Pours a one finger khaki colour head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a very dark ruby-black. Nontransparent.

Sm: Caramel, cream, dark malts, chocolate, and rich dark chocolate covered cherry. A moderately strong aroma.

T: Dominant chocolate with rich caramel and dark malts for the foundation. Chocolate cherry comes through. Bourbon undertones. Rich and well balanced. Delicious. Some raisin. Licorice. Well built. I like it. Well layered, nicely complex, and subtle. I'd like more roast in the foundation. I get some grape on the finish, which is too sweet.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Creamy. Nicely thick. Good carbonation. Heavy on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I quite fancy it. A delightful brew. I'd like to try it in bottled form. I look forward to trying more beers from this brewery; this was a good example of the style.

B

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

12-03-2012 20:41:59 | More by sendbeer
TheSixthRing

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance - Pours jet black with cola brown edging where light can penetrate. Poured aggressively, it produced a cocoa powder colored finger with head with good retention. Nice, fine and silky lacing with great stick.

Smell - Alcohol astringent forward aroma, with lesser notes of vanilla and chocolate.

Taste - Starts with strong notes of vanilla and alcohol. Strong alcohol heat throughout. Mid-taste a chalky chocolate flavor makes it's debut. Aftertaste hits on mocha coffee and faint alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. Smooth and creamy to start, but the alcohol gives a thinning, dry finish.

Overall - This is a good stout, but comes through with a lot of heat. I imagine this being a beer hard alcohol drinkers might like; I myself find it a bit too aggressive and transparent. Decent complexity that's overwhelmed by the near numbing heat. That said, there's just enough redeeming stout character that I'd drink it again.

12-03-2012 05:50:11 | More by TheSixthRing
BYOFB

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12-03-2012 03:03:31 | More by BYOFB
sleuthdog

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

2011 vintage 22oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: I would call this very dark brown just flirting with all out black in color. In fact I think this is as dark as brown can get without being black. No light penetrates when held to the light, however it does become a touch lighter brown when backlit. There was no head formation for me and there is a very fine collar around the edge of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell: Now this is where its at! Reminiscent of BCBS for me although milder. I get big bourbon, huge vanilla, roasted notes, coffee, and chocolate. There is a noticable alcohol presence and huge oak notes. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: An absolute huge bourbon vanilla bomb! Follows the nose with above noted roasted, coffee and chocolate and oak. Up front the mouth is introduced to the bourbon and vanilla followed by the others already stated. Alcohol is evident but not in a distracting sort of way. Everything is just in perfect balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full and oh so creamy! A bit light for a big barrel aged stout but seems to work for this one. I tend to want this style to be more on the chewy side but for this beer the feel does seem spot on and I can honestly say I wouldn't want it be any different.

Overall: My friend has been on me to try this one and I finally got it into a glass. I have to say I am extremely impressed by this beer. An absolute steal at $8 a bomber and so easy off the shelf that it makes me smile. I will be picking this up more often for sure!

12-03-2012 01:12:52 | More by sleuthdog
Bpierso1

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12-02-2012 02:23:51 | More by Bpierso1
psnydez86

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Apperance- Poured a deep dark mahogony into a pint glass with good lacing and nice 1.5 inch esprosso like head. light can barely pass thru this monster.

Smell- Roasty Coffe, Vanilla, Bourbon, booze.

Taste- Starts off with a typical roasty coffee stout tastes which quickly gets attacked by some vanilla and strong bourbon flavor. I'm not a bourbon fan at all but it is a nice sidekick to the vanilla and roasty character of this beer.

Mouthfeel- Nice creamy mouthfeel on this one which I think is perfect for the style

Overall- Its my birthday today and a friend of mine picked this up for me at 8 Degree Plato Beer company Ferndale, Michigan. This is actually the first oak aged Stout i've had and I really enjoyed it. If your the kind of person that enjoys craft beer and enjoys bourbon/whiskey on the rocks this beer will turn you into a raging alchoholic if your already not there. CHEERS.

12-01-2012 23:49:02 | More by psnydez86
Dave_Treat

12-01-2012 23:13:20 | More by Dave_Treat
flyboy599

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%

S - Chocolate, vanilla, musty oak.

A - No light is passing through this beer, very "motor oil" dark. Poured from a bottle with about a quarter finger of light caramel head which quickly vanished.

T - Oak and vanilla permeate the chocolate heavy malt character. The sweetness of the vanilla, almost caramel like, nicely counters the light bitter coffee flavor. At 10% ABV, the after-taste is only slightly of alcohol. No big burn.

M - Velvety and smooth. The carbonation, or lack of it, allows for the full smooth feel.

O - This beer ran me $17.50 for a 4 pack so the expectations were pretty high. Mostly, I felt that the beer delivered. It had the sweetness of a Wee Heavy that countered the bitter roast taste most common to a stout. The fact that it drew this sweetness from vanilla was interesting that the oak flavor lent itself nicely to the style. Given it's price it won't be one that I'd grab every time, but I'd say it's memorable enough for a repeat.

12-01-2012 20:56:22 | More by flyboy599

12-01-2012 17:34:41 | More by Bonis
IrishHockey

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bottle into my Founders snifter. Bottled was chilled to 35 degree F, just like I like my booze.

Pour: looks great. Nice, black, small tanish head that quickly fades into a small frothy crown then to nothingness.

Smell: much like I was anticipating. Bourbon, slight coffee and chocolate. Smells great! I really like the smell!

Taste: wow! Bourbon up front, getting some booziness (I like it), getting some vanilla, chocolate, and some coffee. Not a lot though. Mainly bourbon. It's good! I have to say a lot better than I was expecting.

Overall: I'd buy again. It's really good! Not quite the best bourbon barrel beer I've had, but by far the easiest to find and cheaper than the limited releases. If you can find this, buy it. It's a good bourbon barrel stout. Don't expect it to be a BCBS. It's a bit thinner, and a touch less refined, but a solid beer.

Cheers!

New Hampshire

11-30-2012 08:35:26 | More by Kelp
JerzDevl2000

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked this up via the single bottle in Totowa. For $4.99, I expected this to be pretty darned good and a bit different from the other Stouts that are filling up the store shelves now. While not as dark and thick as other Stouts that I've had, this was just as aggressive and enjoyable as the "motor oil" examples of this style and this certainly warmed me up enough on this cold Autumn night!

The pour to this was a nice dark brown along the with just a hint of light shining through around the edges. Although the lacing left a bit to be desired, the head was frothy and stuck around for a while. Oak and booze stuck out in the nose with some vanilla that took over quite a bit when this was sipped. The lack of carbonation allowed the thin, dark notes of that flavor to really stick out with some licorice and anisette mixed in there for good measure. This almost felt like a cordial rather than a beer since I enjoyed my beer in "shots" rather than sips and the full,roasted nature of other Stouts wasn't present as much here. Just a hint of the oak lingered in the back but unlike a Scotch Ale, the peat and sticky caramel that would accompany one wasn't present here at all.

To be fair, this was quite aggressive but the alcohol didn't detract from this beer. It merely served as a reminder that this was indeed a Stout, just slightly different in nature from the norm. Fans of that style, Scotch Ales, non-spicy Winter Warmers, and after dinner cordials on the strong side owe it to themselves to this give this a go - there's a lot to like here.

11-30-2012 07:31:50 | More by JerzDevl2000
BrownNut

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage served 60 degrees in a tulip.

A - 4.0 - Pours out of the bottle like rootbeer, transparent brown as it falls and with a fizzy head. But once in the glass it's opaque black. A flashlight shined into it reveals an edge of evenly cloudy dirty brown. The head dissipates fairly quickly.

S - 4.0 - A little chocolatey, moist bread doughy, maybe a bit of woodsy booze. Nice.

T - 4.25 - Definitely a wood note, confirmed from the aroma. Some background coffee note. The chocolate, the wood, and a roast quality come together very nicely to make a sum more than their parts. What a nice warm burn of fumes hovering in my throat for a while after swallowing. And that 10% has my face nice and warmed up. I should be clear that I really like warm booziness and have yet to find a beer that's "too hot" as many say here. This one is goldilocks for me. This is the beer you want to drink on a cold winter night.

M - 4.5 - Smooth and velvety. Usually when you pour a thick black motor oil stout, you expect a thick viscous mouthfeel, and when you pour a transparent one like this, you expect a light mouthfeel. But despite its appearance this is easily medium bodied if not a bit north of there.

O - 4.25 - Very good and very enjoyable. This one's a solid keeper. It's just interesting enough to make you want to keep buying it but drinkable enough that it doesn't have to be a special occasion. I really enjoy the notes that the wood adds and really like the nice gentle warm throat burn here in a cold house. This is a sit back and get cozy beer for later at night when things are quiet. If it would just snow in Florida and if I had a fireplace and a leather recliner and a blanket, things would be perfect - you know how it gets so quiet at night when snow thickly blankets everything and nobody's out. That's when I'd drink this.

11-30-2012 00:17:18 | More by BrownNut
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company