New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Vonerichs

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Standard fare for a stout. Black with a little cinnamon head.

The smell is pleasant with vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malt.

The taste has the same tones as the scent, but it's boozy as hell. The oak gives it a chemical furniture taste, too.

Mouthfeel is thick and hot. Too hot.

This was an ok stout, but the woody aspect of it is too much. The price point is waaaay off.

09-06-2011 02:38:46 | More by Vonerichs
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Served in a snifter. Low carbonation. Extremely dark, but not quite black. Aromas of oak, vanilla, cookie dough, chocolate, and some alcohol. Flavors of cola, toasted malt, and vanilla predominate. There's a little bit of booziness, but not enough to detract from the flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

I didn't think this was a bad beer. Given the scathing reviews some of my fellow BAs have given it, I wonder if NH hasn't modified it in some way. It's hard to find too much wrong with this beer, but I'll try. For one thing, I didn't particularly care for the cola flavor. Second, at this price I would expect a bit richer flavor. If you haven't tried it this year (2011), give it a whirl.

Serving type: growler

09-05-2011 00:48:26 | More by deadonhisfeet
StoutHunter

3.05/5  rDev -23%

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Dragon's Milk last month for $7.99 at Boyne County Provisions. I have had this beer many times and I have always thought it was pretty good, but since I have been trying a lot of good barrel aged stouts lately I thought I would see how I feel about it now, so lets see how it goes. 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle that was foiled into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer is pretty simple with a picture of a barrel and dragon, the dragon looks nice. It poured a very very dark brown color that is pretty much the closest you can get to black while still being brown. It had two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left no lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty damn sweet and with a heavy presence of bourbon. I get a little chocolate, coffee, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and vanilla. The main players in the aroma are the sweet roasted malts and bourbon, not really that balanced or complex.

T- The taste of this beer is much different then the aroma lead me to believe. It starts off with lots of rich malts that have a little roast to them that imparts a mild coffee and milk chocolate flavors, but the malts are not nearly as roasty as they should be for a stout and the lack of roast lets the other flavors show up too much. The malts have a moderate amount of sweetness but its toned down a lot compared to how sweet the aroma is, after that comea all the dark fruits with some dates, plums, and raisins showing up the most. After that is the bourbon which is pretty nice and oaky with a nice hint of vanilla. The bourbon flavor is pretty evident and seems a little harsh at first but after a couple sips it really grew on me and proved to be a nice addition to this beer. The alcohol is slightly warming but it doesn't make this beer come off as being hot. The finish is smooth and slightly sweet with some oak, vanilla, and bourbon showing up in the aftertaste.

M- Somewhat creamy and on the light side of being full bodied, the lighter body makes this beer have a little better drinkability then normal. Carbonation was at the low side of medium and worked pretty well with this beer, I don't think I would change it.

Overall I have to say that this is a pretty average beer, but I still find some quality that I really like about it, but as a whole it's just average. My main beef with this beer is that it just isn't as roasty as a stout should be, if you market something as a stout it should have a good amount of roast to it, with that missing it lets all the other flavors take over and in the end that didn't make it very stout like and if I was given this blind there's a good chance I would think this is a barrel aged Barleywine or an old ale with a slight amount of roast to it. I did like how drinkable this beer is, I find that barrel aging can hurt the drinkability a lot of the time, but on this beer it really doesn't matter and the mouthfeel doesn't make it too filling plus for 10% the alcohol isn't that in your face. I can see how some people may be turned off by the heavy bourbon and oak presence in this beer, and I think that's because there isn't enough roast to balance it out, but if you sip on it, take your time, and let it warm up you will find that the flavors that the barrel imparted are really nice and not as in your face as they seem at the start. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, usually I like my stouts thick as oil, but the lighter then average body really works with this beer and find it to suit it perfectly. What I liked least about this beer is that it's called a Stout, it should have much more roast, instead of a heavy presence of dark fruits that makes it closer to a barrel aged old ale or Barleywine. I will still buy this beer on occasion, it can'r hold a candle to KBS, but anytime I want a barrel aged beer it is available, and availability can play a big part in what I buy sometimes. I recommend this to fans of barrel aged beers, but don't expect to be blown away buy the base of this beer cause it doesn't live up to the name. Even though this is pretty much the most popular beer in their lineup, there are a couple other beers from them I would rather have that are lot more to style and better tasting. This was the first barrel aged beer I ever had and at the time it was super robust and big, but after trying much other stouts I find I still like it, but not as much as I used to it and it's much more average then I first thought. As a whole New Holland is a pretty good brewery, maybe next batch you make you can set aside some of those barrels for Pilgrims dole, now that may be an epic beer, think about it.

09-03-2011 04:03:43 | More by StoutHunter
tvv375ia

Iowa

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

A-dark brown almost black with 1 finger head

S-I got alot of bourbon smell to start and the a little chocolate coffee note

T-more bourbon then some bitter chocolate finished off with bourbon

M-nice carbonation, not as creamy as a nitro stout but good

O-wasn't as impressed with this as I was hoping, I wanted more oak taste and not as much bourbon it just made the 10% alcohol stand out more

08-30-2011 00:31:49 | More by tvv375ia
garymuchow

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Shared bottle with a friend. Thanks John B. Surprisingly mild aroma. Dark roast, mild sweetness. Also a surprisingly light color that is see through (for a stout) with dark red hints. Coffee, nice roast, oak with a nice vanilla flavor. Moderate to slightly bigger feel with a slightly greater carbonation than I anticipated. Overall I liked the well balanced oak that offers nice blending flavors with out dominating or covering the other flavors.

08-25-2011 23:55:57 | More by garymuchow
clint1019

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Black in color with a thick creamy head.

S - Roasty malt, Oakyness, bourbon, & chocolate.

T - Rich Malt flavor with chocolate and a big bourbon flavor.

M - Full Bodied.

O - Would be a great beer on a cold winter day. Maybe with a hot bowl of chili.

08-25-2011 00:55:30 | More by clint1019
YumYumGumGum

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

Okay, there are a lot of great reviews of this beer and I must've missed the train because it was very very average. This tasted like alcohol from a home brew with to much water added to the primary.

A: Very white head with small amount of lacing when poured into a bar glass from a 12oz bottle. Bottle was dark color like a stout with a decent amount of light coming through.

S: Mostly chocolate roast, with a twinge of sour milk (Which was a good thing).

T: Alcohol with a watered down milk chocolate flavor, and did get and woody flavor from the barrels. The kind of wet sweetness was average. It was very drinkable, just not what I expected from this "High Gravity" series from New Holland. All they did was bump up the alcohol, I didn't get any new body, and I used to really enjoy Dragon's Milk.

M: Pleasant, low carbonation, and if you like to use stouts as your main drinking beers, use Dragon's milk.

O: Don't buy this, its expensive here in VA and New Holland seems to be riding on the back of the reputation of the 09 vintage.

08-22-2011 15:22:14 | More by YumYumGumGum
paperbackfoster

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

Serving: 12oz bottle, poured into snifter.

A disclaimer: Right off the bat, I'd strongly argue that this beer is more of a barleywine than a stout. I can see the argument for an American strong ale as well, but I find so much in common with a barleywine that it's hard for me not to evaluate on those standards.

Dragon's Milk pours a dark, near-black pour with no head. A shimmering, cocoa-powder ring of carbonation appears as a late bloomer, creeping up the very top edges of the beer.

One sniff reveals the esters (more on that later), a vanilla bean sweetness and toasty malts.

This beer is incredibly sharp up front, the roasted malts hitting immediately. The body is intense, full of dark fruit notes - prune, plum, fig, and raisin all come to mind. The hops ride in right along the notes from the oak barrel aging, a woody, resinous palette. The finish is almost like drinking brandy - hot, alcoholic, but carrying the lingering notes of all flavors that came before.

Mouthfeel is big, full, round. A booze stew.

Dragon’s Milk makes for a fine sipping brew, enjoyed like a fine scotch. I also have no doubt that this beer will age nicely. That said, I find it occasionally overpowering. The esters give you a nice menopausal hot flash on the way down, a sharp edge that usually seems rounded out to me. I almost find the flavors to be numbing - drink this after dinner, not alongside. Again, I strongly argue that this doesn't fit the same niche that a strong ale or stout would fall under for me. The body is too fruity for another style (savory as it may be) and the alcohol content is far more noticeable than stouts of similar ABV, as well as all I've said before.

08-19-2011 04:16:40 | More by paperbackfoster
Badbobx

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a deep brown with a slight head leaving little or no lacing.
The aroma is an intensely engaging boozy malt with tones of chocolate and coffee.
The taste is rich with tones of raisins, bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, and alcohol. Very smooth to drink for an intense beer. I am letting this warm a bit to enhance the flavor.
The mouthfeel is wonderful. A large round flavor, a bit like drinking a fine whiskey.
Overall this is a marvelous beer that I would drink again. To me the mouthfeel was the big hit.

08-17-2011 01:56:28 | More by Badbobx
DabblinWiscCraft

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a coffee or cola brown-black with a half inch khaki head that has very tight bubbles and that falls to a lace and leaves decent cling. Bold and robust--somewhat spicy, even--roasted malt notes in the nose. A bit of rye bread, molasses, and more subtle dark chocolate in the mix, as well. The taste has very pronounced, thick, bittersweet molasses up front: It's almost like taking a sip of liquified Good & Plenty candies...well, probably more pleasant than that. Following this is clear alcohol that persists throughout the life of the flavor on the palate. There's a roasted caramel malt flavor--quite bitter--that lingers for some time at the close. There's a vanilla presence, but it takes a backseat to the molasses and caramel. Overall, there's too much medicinal alcohol flavor and bitterness to really enjoy the subtleties of this one. The feel is heavy and dense and far too syrupy for my liking. Though I enjoy higher-density brews, I'd rather not drink beers that are reminiscent of robitussin.

I wanted to like this beer, but that cough syrup quality puts me off every time. I think that less pronounced alcohol flavor would have helped things a lot; but that's certainly a challenge when you're producing a beer with 10% ABV. I can definitely appreciate the little things about Dragon's Milk, but the sum of the parts is certainly a letdown.

08-15-2011 04:19:42 | More by DabblinWiscCraft
EricMichael

2.42/5  rDev -38.9%

appearance - Black garnet with little head. Normal amount of carbonation for a stout and an appearance to be expected of a stout.

smell - Potent. At first whiff, vanilla-oak then immediately overcome by only what I can describe as bourbon alcohol.

taste & mouthfeel - This stout is smooth going with a flash of alcohol at the end. It's hard to overcome the potent oak/bourbon alcohol. If you focus enough you can catch hints of the usual stout flavors of chocolate and coffee. They are quickly replaced by strong American oak.

overall - If I was a bourbon fan, this might be a stout for me. However, the stout aspects that I love were overwhelmed. I wish I had some dark chocolate to clean my palate.

poured into a stein

08-13-2011 18:33:02 | More by EricMichael
Brew33

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had this beer numerous times over the years but decided to review the 2011 vintage because it really just blew me away.

This beer has always straddled the Stout/Strong Ale line. I'm inclined to think of it as an Imperial Stout. The color is VERY dark brown, bordering on black with a soft brown head. The aroma is fantastic. Bourbon makes itself known as do caramalized malt sugars, chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla, and toffee. Not an in your face aroma but insanely complex.

This years Dragon's Milk is a fantastic beer. The flavor is off the charts. Sweet but never cloyingly so. Bourbon is perfectly integrated. This beer has spent just the right amount of time in the barrel for my tastes. You get the classic bourbon flavors as you swallow but your tastebuds are still trying to process the malt flavors. This beer is very well balanced. It could be a touch more smokey/earthy but it's great the way it is. The mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Full, heavy, and slightly creamy.

I must say, I enjoyed the heck out of the 2011 version more so than any other batch I've tried. Just a great beer.

08-10-2011 23:40:53 | More by Brew33
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Received this bomber from Ryan011235 in the days before New Holland started distributing down here. Poured into an oversized snifter, this was a bit of a disappointment visually. Cola brown with reddish highlights and a short-lived fizzy head that quickly becomes a meek circle of bubbles and no more. Some legs but no lace.

Booze and oak are a somewhat harsh 1-2 punch to the nose. Gentler aromas of vanilla, toffee, dark chocolate, tangy fruit and citrus linger. The oak flavor is also quite potent enough to be near overwhelming at times. Citrus is surprisingly bold, and there’s a ton of tangy raisin and prune. Roasted and toasted grains attempt to assert themselves, but are no match for the oak. The mix of flavors isn’t a bad one; it just seems that the ratios are way off here. Perhaps a blend of oaked and non-oaked versions would result in a smoother drinking brew. Thinnish body, but fairly smooth with a velvety coating feel. Could be pretty nice with a few tweaks.

08-10-2011 18:58:01 | More by PDXHops
sdmvd6

Oklahoma

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip

A - Jet-black with a finger of tan head (after a hard pour) which dissipates rapidly. Light lacing. What little light makes it through the glass yields a deep ruby hue.

S - Big aromas of rum-soaked wood and dark fruit hit you immediately followed by a touch of roastiness after some searching. Definitely not as much chocolaty and/or coffee and roasty aroma as would be expected from the style. Alcohol is very apparent as well.

T - To be fair, this was a 2011 vintage bottle, but it needs some age. As is, though, the flavor is relatively unimpressive. Harsh, hot alcohol burns from beginning to end, with plums and prunes in the middle. This fades to a bit of roasted malt and finishes with lingering sweet vanilla notes from the oak barrels. I have had other 10% ABV imperial stouts that are much more drinkable than this one. Overall, the flavor profile is just unbalanced.

M - There is plenty of carbonation with this guy as well as a medium mouthfeel. It is a little too carbonated for the style.

O - The appearance and smell of this stout are pretty nice, but the flavor profile is unbalanced. I really think some age would calm this one down by cutting the abrasiveness of the alcohol, toning down the dark fruits, and bringing forward more traditional roasted flavors of an imperial stout. This was sent to store shelves too soon.

08-09-2011 03:39:17 | More by sdmvd6
uwmgdman

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

This one pours nearly black with just a faint garnet glow. The head is light tan and diminished to a skim and leaves just a bit of lace. The aroma is moderate-high roasted malts, some chocolate, vanilla, and oak, hints of warm alcohol, quite inviting. The flavor is a marriage of roasted malt, bittersweet caramel and dark fruit upfront. These flavors are quickly swept clean by a pleasantly strong oak flavor that lingers well after the swallow and continues to emerge as the ABV warms my palate and belly. The carbonation is medium and body full. Overall this is a well made brew with a pronounced oak flavor -- a great beer to sit, sip, and enjoy the flavors of roasted malts and oak.

08-06-2011 01:52:07 | More by uwmgdman
seeswo

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours black with a small whitish head. Big roast and oak on the nose. The taste is milky roastiness with a big oak punch. Maybe a hint of coffee and chocolate. The oak is a bit harsh - seems like it needs some time. The mouth is silky and creamy. Very nice. Overall, this beer has a lot of potential, but is overwhelmed with oak. Maybe some time will chill it out.

08-05-2011 04:06:13 | More by seeswo
litheum94

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

22 oz bottle. Vintage dated 2011. Reviewed 6/5/11

P: Deep black, onyx in color. Not much of a head at all. Just a tiny amount of tan covering that settles to scant vespers.

A: Sweet chocolate and ripe plums. Vanilla bean. Touch of roasted barley. Tons of espresso pop-up when I inhale deeply. Not much evidence of the barrel on the nose.

T: Vanilla sweetness at first, and leads into a salty, briny flavor. Good dose of roasted coffee. Toasted oak. Dark chocolate tones develop as it warms, and a malty creaminess fills the mouth. Somewhat cola-like in mouthfeel and flavor on the finish.

Doesn't drink like a barrel aged stout, and that's kind of a bad thing. A good beer, but either needs a better base beer or more time in the barrel.

08-04-2011 04:44:58 | More by litheum94
axeman9182

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle, allowed to warm before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Dragon's Milk pours a solid black, with a foam crown that's just a slightly lighter shade of tan than I'm used to seeing in an imperial stout. The head comes up to about three fingers in height, and has solidly above average head retention. There's a solid ring of lacing at the top of the glass, but everything below that is a bit spotty. The nose definitely shows off the oak barrel aging. A prominent dark chocolate malty note is sweetened up by some vanilla sweetness from the oak. A straight oak woody note is also present, a little bit too much so even. The flavor features those same sweetened chocolate and oak notes, but the woody aspect of the beer is even more prominent. I can close my eyes and easily picture a piece of oak just floating in my glass. The body is solid, sturdy, but not as full as I might have anticipated given the ABV, and it's paired with a nicely subdued level of carbonation. Either aging in straight oak isn't the best idea, or this one was just left in the barrel for too long, but the woody character in this beer is just off the charts.

08-03-2011 02:46:08 | More by axeman9182
cagocubs

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

On Tap poured into tulip glass

A: Pours extremely dark brown/opaque. Thin ivory head that dissipates and has some lacing on the edges.

S: Sweet tones erupt into the nostrils. Caramel, molasses, vanilla, chocolate, sweet milk, and a little alcohol.

T: The sweetness of the smell is ever-present in the taste. The sweet tastes of chocolate, molasses (syrup), toasted malt, vanilla, and caramel are present. You can pick up on the hops and earthy tones as well.

M: I feel like I should be eating this with a fork and knife. Nice full bodied stout with very little carbonation. I was surprised there was no alcohol bite at 9-10abv. Good mouth coating, and finish.

O: I'm curious to try this from a bottle, because from the tap I'm flabbergasted this is not a top beer and rated higher. I cannot see much downfall in this beer. It has great aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. Real balanced and enjoyable. Bravo, NH.

07-31-2011 00:28:50 | More by cagocubs
whatthehull

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks MarcatGSB for this beer

Poured into a La Chouffe Tulip

A - Almost opaque very dark brown/black, half finger dark tan head and some lacing

S - Very sweet, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, oak, chocolate milk and more sweet

T - Vanilla, sweet coffee, milk chocolate, alcohol, earth, lots of oak and wood, molasses, some bourbon flavors, great slightly toasted malt and a very little but nice amount of hops

M - Chewy, full bodied, medium minus acidity, well balanced, great complexity and long finish

D - This is a dream of a stout. Tastes great from beginning to end. One of the better imperial stouts I have had. Second for me to tokyo*. If you don't like big beers, here is your warning, don't try

Final thought - 10% abv and tastes like the stouts heaven would make. Try this if you have the chance!

07-28-2011 04:50:24 | More by whatthehull
djeucalyptus

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

pours a rich, cocoay, dark brown near black with a dark caramel brown two-finger head that fades to a thin collar and leaves thin bits of lace.

aroma is earthy. brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, mushrooms and booze.

taste is rich, complex, and intensely boozy. malty despite the strength and the heat. earthy, woody, oaky. tastes like mushrooms growing on wet oak soaked in cheap booze. interesting. hints of brown sugar, heavy raisin, and some clean oak.

mouth is moderately thick with ample sharp carbonation that helps prevent it from being cloyingly sweet or cloyingly hot. but it's still pretty dang sweet and hot, with a lingering funkiness that is somewhere between earth, mushrooms, and guano.

stoked to finally give this a shot again after trying it on tap a few years ago. this one just isn't that great. it might just need more time to age... I'm not certain though... it just doesn't jive for me.... but it might be the bees knees for someone else.

07-28-2011 04:21:45 | More by djeucalyptus
Dhren1979

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Reviewed on July 26nd, 2011

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thick and creamy. Black as oil with 1 finger’s worth of toffee colored head. Sticky and the head retention is long.

S: Vanilla with hints of oak. Was expecting a stronger oak presence in the aroma. Aroma of alcohol comes out fairly strong in the middle. Roasted chocolate malts.

T: Quite similar in taste as in the aroma. Nice vanilla tastes which leads to an mild alcohol burn. Oak seems to smooth out the taste some. Creamy finish.

M: Creamy medium body stout with little to no carbonation. Silky smooth on the tongue.

O: Great example of this style IMO. A must buy when it hits the shelf!

07-27-2011 18:04:24 | More by Dhren1979
CPeterson

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A -- A softly translucent deep black brew which pours to a thin skim of a head, settling immediately into something resembling a thick coffee beverage. Leaves spotty lacing at best.

S -- Smells of vanilla and bourbon soaked dark fruit, lightly earthy and woody with hints of chocolate.

T -- Hefty oak tones melded with dark chocolate and vanilla, coffee candy, lightly bitter from the wood countered by a resinous lingering sweetness. A touch of roasted grain which is augmented by the oak. Pretty boozy.

M -- Thin and slick, little or no carbonation, a lingering smack of sweetness, and a slight tingle of numbness on the tongue from the booze.

D -- Hefty and relentless, this is a beer made for kicking teeth in. Definitely worth a try, but I don't see it making it into my regular rotation.

07-26-2011 03:40:24 | More by CPeterson
MittenBeer

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

a - aggressive pour into a 12oz pint glass resulted in a nice milk chocolate/tan head. mostly opaque with a bit of translucence at the very edges

s - up front i got vanilla and bourbon and on the back end chocolate and coffee. quite boozy.

t - this beer tastes how it smells. the big players are vanilla and bourbon. not sure how people are not getting that it was aged in oak..that is where the main flavour is coming from. coffee and chocolate abounds on the back end with a little hint of dark fruit. very boozy finish..like I'm drinking bourbon.

m - a lot of people are calling this a stout. it's not. it's a strong ale, so don't expect the chewy, thick mouthfeel of a stout. It's thinner on the palate than it looks. strong ale made with dark malts, folks. not a stout!

o - i'd drink this again. ideally on tap with a steak. it's also a good after dinner/dessert beer. I could see myself sipping on one for 3-4 hours after a big meal. becomes better as it warms.

07-25-2011 14:45:11 | More by MittenBeer
azdback

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into my large tulip glass. Black but only at the center. The edges get more transparent. Two fingers of light tan creamy head top this brew nicely. Lace looks like it could be sewn onto a silk nighty.

Smell...Ether. The sweet roasted malt bill comes out next, followed by chocolate and coffee...or coffee and chocolate. There really isn't any barrel coming through. Maybe a hint of vanilla, but no wood at all.

Taste is sweet roasted caramel malts. It tastes almost like a Baltic porter. Chocolate, coffee, and some tartness. I want to say there is a "red" sweetness. Very tasty beer, but not a good example of a "barrel aged" stout.

Overall very very good beer. I am really enjoying it. I guess I am just disappointed by the fact that the label says, in big letters, Barrel Aged Ale. I didn't even know it was a stout until I came to this page. But other than that, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I think this is the best freebie from my buddy McNuts. Thanks Keith! Cheers!!

EDIT: The bottle I reviewed was marked Vintage 2010. I am enjoying a 2011 bottle right now (08/18/11) that is very different from the last. I can't smell any of the alcohol like the first. The taste is much more barrel. Quite a nice difference. I am only going to change the overall score from a 4 to a 4.5 on this. This is something you should ask your Midwest trading partners to add. Note: The 2010 was a 22oz. bomber and this one is a 12oz. bottle. A little easier to get as an extra. Thanks to davesway10 for this one.

07-22-2011 06:22:46 | More by azdback
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company