Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.03/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A - decent layer of head. Light mocha head. Lacing. Dark color body, somewhat thin looking body.

S - I don't get a ton of flavor in the smell. A little bit of bourbon and malty scent.

T - lovely bourbon taste, delicious chocolate, and tasty malt. The taste blends really well to me.

M - body is a bit thin but not too thin. Still desirable body. Nice carbonation. No alcohol burn.

O - Fantastic beer. I love that New Holland is able to make this available year round. Keep up the good work fellas. I highly recommend this beer.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter
Vintage 2012

A: Pours an opaque black with just under 1 fingers width of mocha colored head which dissipates down quickly to leaves only an outer ring, that remains throughout the drink.  Some patches of blotchy lacing and alcohol legs can be seen clinging to the edges of the glass.

S: Bouron, with a mix of booze and oak,  dark fruits, interesting tart fruit aroma that's reminiscent of tart apples, a hint of chocolate.  Really unique for the style, with that apple aroma, but I really dig it.

T: Surprisingly mild, at least initially when most of the flavors come out on the backend and include roasted malts, milk chocolate and oak.  As it warms the flavors become more prominent. The apple like tartness comes out in the taste as well.  Pretty tasty but I would have liked if the flavors as a whole were stronger, or if the bourbon notes from the nose came out in the taste.

M/D: Medium bodied with an appropriate carbonation.  It certainly would benefit from being thicker.  A touch on the hot side going down, but not too bad,  and all things considered retry damn good drinkability.

O: This was on of the more unique stouts I have tried in a while, and I quite enjoyed it.  I don't think it's something that would make my regular rotation, but I'd definitely recommend trying it.

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Dark brown, almost black color with a finger and a half worth of tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Strong aroma of alcohol with just a hint of vanilla.

Taste- Alcohol flavor dominates at first but fades slightly half way through. Chocolate and raisin flavors at the start with notes of vanilla. Oak flavored aftertaste with a small hint of licorice.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, smooth and creamy. Carbonation is not very noticeable.

Overall- Interesting and complex. Good for sipping but almost a little too much alcohol flavor for me. Reminds more of an imperial stout than an American stout.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Orange-black, quickly dissipating head.

S: Strong coffee, booze.

T: Pronounced bourbon, vanilla, significantly hot.

M: Medium body, just enough carbonation.

O: A good sipping beer, demanding but not difficult, would pair with dark chocolate.

Musical pairing: High on Fire's "Rumors of War."

4.19/5  rDev +5%

Aroma: slight woodiness, vanilla presence, alcohol in the nose, cocoa

Appearance: pitch black, beige colored head, microfine bubbles, head dissipates quickly, moderate head retention to the glass.

Taste: definite alcoholic presence, slightly metallic, no presence of oxidation, slight char character

Mouthfeel: Highly viscous, lots of residual sugar hangs on the ‘stach/lips.

In need of inspiration, I reached for two things last night. A fresh New Holland Dragon’s Milk and my headphones. I clicked on Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy and started to write this review. I gave the beer a steadfast pour into my miniature beer glass. The brain synapses began firing and I knew what was happening… Homebrew. I’m standing in my New Jersey apartment, covered in sweat, hungry, and a little buzzed. I’m casually sipping a heavy ass stout listening to Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy and eagerly awaiting for the boil to finish. Early days of homebrewing in college.

Nothing in my life will ever again be quite like that. I’ll never forget the relentless drive, continued exhaustion, destroyed floors, sore hands, jammed fingers, burnt thumbs. You see, Houses of the Holy was meant to die in a parents’ basement somewhere in New Jersey. We brought it back to life on an old school record player and it transformed our understanding of the world. Brewday was the most sacred time; phones were rendered useless, cares were tossed aside, TVs were turned off, and nothing could deter our much desired pain. It was masochistic. We would bust our ass for 8 hours doing all-grain mashes on our only free day. Nothing could take these precious moments from us. Broke, hungry, crazy. The way we wanted to live back then. I know now that our reward was not the beer we produced, but the experience we shared.

I’ve not gone astray from my roots, but begun budding into a legitimate plant. I’ve matured into more of an adult, dedicated my life to being a beer professional. This is the first beer that has brought me back to the early days in a long ass time. It seems fitting that we associated so strongly with a record that had the same effect, and religious allegory to boot. You see, listening to this, drinking these types of beers is when it all became divine for me. I never even saw the seventies, but when brewday rolled around I don’t imagine we were any different than a bunch of 20 somethings back then. We were technology students, doing everything in our power to stand in contrast to all of our peers, avoid being a soulless ladder climber. We liked listening to vinyl, making beer on a not-so-technical system and avoiding our early adult life concerns.

Dragon’s milk is not the best stout I’ve ever had, I’ve tried far too many at this point to say that any one stout is the best I’ve ever had. My understanding of beer has grown great in its complexity, and every part of me is proud of this. Another part of me misses these early days, when I was falling in love for the first time, finding my calling in life. A fresh New Holland’s milk stout it sticky sweet, sort of like an amateur homebrew might taste. Back then, I had a favorite style. It was sticky sweet, super-alcoholic stout. I’d drink these during the boil, contemplating everything and nothing all at the same time. Occasionally I’d just sit back and listen to the music.

My palate has refined, and I’ve transgressed having a favorite style. This beer, and this album, brought me back, if only for a moment. This is why I do this, this is why I dedicated my life to it, and this is why I give a damn. These are rare moments when I recall some of the greatest memories in my life. Age and experience will do this beer well, much like it has done well for me. Thankfully, I have several to lie down for a couple months. Maybe it will taste just as great several years later, I know Houses of the Holy sounded just as amazing 40 years ago. This beer will forever be a tribute to late adolescence, the beauty that age may bring, and the power of finding my true calling in life.

I’ll never forget what fresh New Holland Milk Stout tastes like; young, rambunctious, and filled with passion.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Black pour with a tan foam that settled fast.

S - Smells slightly boozy, but had notes of raisins and dark malt.

T - Roasted malt flavor that has some flavor of dark fruit before ending with a slight burn.

M - The whiskey-like burn made this a one and done beer, but it is balanced well considering the compexity.

O - A stout that the barrel aged bourbon lovers will love. Not my personal favorite but it is tasty and worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

1425th Review on BA
Bottle to Wine glass
12oz

Purchased at Binny's Naperville, IL

App- Poured out the color of port wine. A bit of brown, black and red. Had no bubbles on the first pour and then the second pour had a 1/4" head and no cling. Was okay looking.

Smell- Really had a ton of malts behind it. The oak is really subdued and has more of a prickly booze from the ABV. A good amount of dark fruits and chocolate behind it.

Taste- This was a flavorful high ABV beer. It was tasty but needed a bit more balance and filling flavors. The dark fruits make this like a port vs. BB stout, wasn't bad, but I've had better.

Mouth- A good and filling light medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Fairly rich and chocolately. Nice feel.

Drink- I really should've bought 3 or more. I think with time, this