2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,898 | Reviews: 1,090 | Show All Ratings:
jtladner

District of Columbia

3.69/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark beer, but not as dark as expected for a stout, definitely not opaque. I would compare it in color to a Belgian strong dark ale. The aroma and taste are almost completely dominated by oak and bourbon. Any roasted flavor was almost completely hidden. It was an enjoyable beer, and I would recommend giving it a try. However, I would not have known it was a stout if it hadn't been written on the menu, and since I was expecting a stout, I was a little disappointed.

06-16-2013 00:35:33 | More by jtladner
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola color that isn't entirely opaque. The mocha-colored head is nice and creamy, and about two fingers high. It fades down to about a half finger after a while, and leaves nice rings of lacing on the glass.

S: Wow, this is sweet. There isn't much bourbon on the nose...but there is a solid oak presence, giving off very strong vanilla notes. Beneath the vanilla are strong chocolate and molasses tones. Aromatically, it strikes me as an enjoyable-yet-straightforward dessert beer.

T: There is a bourbon presence here, but it's pretty basic...the vanilla notes are massively bold yet they lack the additional subtleties of a BCBS or Parabola to make them stand out. I also notice touches of chocolate; otherwise, this is more or less a vanilla/tannin bomb. Even a single 12 oz bottle can become wearisome to drink.

M: Quite sweet, yet with a drying, tannic finish. I'd actually reckon it's a bit too tannic on the back end, verging into mild harshness. I could also use a bit more body to properly support how syrupy the texture is.

O: It's not undrinkable, however its sweetness is way too fatiguing. Even worse, the beer itself seems designed to showcase the barrel notes, but they're far too basic to really succeed at that, either. For about 6 oz, I thought this was pretty good; for the other 6 oz, I couldn't wait for it to end. So, if you're gonna try it, make sure you split it with a friend, and don't expect BCBS.

06-14-2013 03:24:09 | More by ThisWangsChung
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.74/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz, 2013
Riedel tulip

A: Pours a deep brown. Not as dark as I was expecting. Didn't get much head. Thin layer of light tan. Some lacing bits.

S: Some burnt sugar. Vanilla. It's not a bourbon forward as I was expecting.

T: Actually sharp almost tart start, either from booze or infection. i was hoping for more roast and rich creamy malts. Thinner and more carbed than expected. Finish has a good blast of booze, as it rolls down the throat.

M: Full bodied.

06-10-2013 18:39:49 | More by inlimbo77
BanjinTsuki

West Virginia

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

My first bourbon barrel stout left me a changed man.

I hesitate while writing this review as the Dragon's Milk is my first bourbon barrel stout brew. But I was so impressed with it I felt I must let the world know how wonderful it is. Shame on me, if a bro came along to read the reviews of Dragon's Milk to see if it is worth a quaff, and I was silent. A well tapped draft Guinness might be the best beer, but a bottle Dragon's Milk beats out a bottled Guinness, especially when you want the extra punch brought by 10% ABV. For some reason they call this a oak barrel ale, but it really feels and tastes more like a stout.

Appearance - For a dark beer lover, this is one pretty beer. Dark chocolate in color, with a nice two finger foam when presented. I was at a restaurant, so I didn't get to see it from the bottle, but the waitress poured it well. The creamy looking foam reduced quickly and didn't leave much of a lace, but I wonder if that has to do with the devil's cut of bourbon residing it its midst.

Smell - Strong roasted Oak with a nice tone of malt and a hint vanilla all blanketed in a strong whiskey overtone. Everyone seems to smell chocolate, but I've got a good sniffer and I didn't quite detect it. Not saying they're wrong, it just didn't hit me with chocolate. I wonder if a draft version has more coffee and chocolate balanced flavor.

Taste - Oak. For a once-upon-a-time saxophone player, the oak was almost heavenly. Imagine a shot of oaken-laced bourbon tamed by malt and vanilla and you've got a good idea of the taste.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated (a little too much for my liking, but not so much for a bad score) followed by a bourbon-smooth finish (the dragon's fire, I suppose) that ran to about mid throat. The carbonation lightened the body a bit and yielded a medium body feel. The bourbon kick and aroma definitely cleans the palate!

Overall - excellent. It certainly makes me want to try other bourbon barrel stouts to see how they stack up to this bar-setter. I'll be looking to see if this brew is available in my area. In fact, I'll be running out to see as soon as my wife gets home.

Your bro in brew,
Banjin Tsuki

06-08-2013 16:40:11 | More by BanjinTsuki
HistoricalMan

Wisconsin

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance: A smooth-bodied black stout with a finger of moderately-creamy off-white head. The head quickly recedes and leaves a halo of creamy big bubbled foam. A moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: A hint of molasses, dark fruit, chocolate, oak, and a tease of alcohol. The aromas are quite subtle.

Taste: Milk chocolate, heaps of vanilla, malts, smooth oak, and a bourbon bite on the finish. The burst of vanilla, malts, and oak at the midpoint is delicious.

Mouth: Thick yet incredibly smooth body with moderate to light carbonation. There's a slight prickliness from the bourbon influence but it certainly doesn't diminish the overall body of the beer.

I love this stout. I know some people find it relatively underwhelming, but I find the balance of flavors and the smooth body thoroughly enjoyable.

06-04-2013 03:29:46 | More by HistoricalMan
TreyIsWilson

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours black with tints of red. Tan foamy white head that disipates quickly.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla. Very pleasant.

T - Sweet vanilla to start followed by bitter chocolate. Nice flavor of bourbon in he finish. Nice amount of heat from the alcohol.

M - Thick mouthfeel with high carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

O - Very nice easy to find bourbon stout. Good sipper for the older months.

05-30-2013 03:31:05 | More by TreyIsWilson
ONUMello

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz 2012 vintage bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Dark brown with a two-finger tan head
S: Loads of milk chocolate, a bit of caramel, coffee and bread
T: Chocolate, some cream, again a bit of caramel/coffee- intense up front but lacks a significant finish
M: Medium-bodied, creamy, a touch hot
O: Solid but I don't get how obsessed I've heard some are over this

05-29-2013 12:56:17 | More by ONUMello
JJFlowgoer

Alabama

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My review will be misleading perhaps, because I don't like bourbon. And this is a Bourbon Barrel Stout! But in spite of that, I'm going to do my very first review here after a year or so of reading all of everyone else. Mouthfeel is nice and thick but to me, which I love. But that 10% ABV is right up front - as is a bit of that bourbon barrel flavor. Everything about the rest of this beer stands behind that. Not that I don't like my hefty ABV - just I think you have to like bourbon, or at least be warm to it, to really enjoy this one. Still glad I bought it. (Probably the 10% ABV that caused me to write my first review! LOL!)

05-24-2013 04:58:55 | More by JJFlowgoer
AndyP612

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers.

05-13-2013 03:29:14 | More by AndyP612

Freshness: 2012 Vintage
Packaging: 12 oz. bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Snifter
Purchased: Received in a trade

Pours a black and opaque beer, with a small tan head that doesn't last long. Lacing on the glass is good.

Aromas have sweet milk chocolate, wood/oak, vanilla, dark ripened fruits and alcohol notes.

The taste is super rich with a big opening of malty sweetness, roasted grains and then vanilla and chocolates. Has quite an alcohol presence as well.

The mouthfeel is creamy on a thick body. It finishes in a very similar fashion to the taste -- malty, chocolate, woody, sweet and boozy.

Overall this is a very strong and delightful oak-aged stout; a real treat for sipping at the end of the day.

Big thanks to Cameron (TheBishopco) for bringing me this from my wants list!

05-07-2013 04:45:33 | More by sommersb
donkeyrunner

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

"In this land we have defended from all things dark and cruel
Now we are defenseless in a land where dragons rule"
- Where Dragons Rule, by Dragonforce

Dark brown pour that sits black in my mighty chalice. Thin head collars after only a few sips but still manages some fine foam drapery.

Roasty, wood barrel, brown sugar coated raisin and molasses. That's what it smells like.

Hotsy totsy. This is the 2013 vintage so it's pretty hot, bordering on boozy giddiness. The bourbon flavor is obvious and appreciated. Brown sugar, dried raisin and very vanilla. That's what it tastes like.

While I still believe that I'll enjoy anything doused in bourbon this is one of the better bourbon beers out there IMO.

My first New Holland.

05-04-2013 12:15:18 | More by donkeyrunner
davey101

Connecticut

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%

2013 vintage, 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to match1112!

A - Pours a clear brown but sits nearly black. If you squint hard enough you can see the bottom of the glass. Two fingers of light khaki foam settle down into thin edging. Looks a little thin, but a pretty basic stout appearance.

S - Oh boy. This is like a double oaked stout, only the base beer is average and the oak isn't exactly welcome. Its just an awkward mix of super intense wood, synthetic vanilla, and dry chocolate powder.

T - That dreadful aroma in liquid form! Lots of over the top oak, fake vanilla, and a dry chocolate that is missing any sweetness. This is a weird beer. Its not bad, but its not good. Its exactly in the middle. I mean I don't mind if I had another sip of this but the prospect isn't entirely attractive. Thin to medium body, meh carbonation.

O - Like a clothespin with a chocolate powder dusting. The barrel aging seemed forced and artificial and the base beer was probably not an all star to begin with. Happy to try this beer because now I know!

05-03-2013 04:02:48 | More by davey101
macher0

Kentucky

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Extremely dark brown. Barely translucent. No head, with a think copper rim. No lacing.

S: Malty. Some sweet bourbon/oak. Moderately fragrant.

T: Taste follows smell, but the malts are muted and the bourbon/oak really comes out. Very clean palette on end. No lingering taste. A little sweet from bourbon/oak, very pleasant. A strong alcohol presence.

M: Full bodied. Low carbonation. Not very smooth, seemingly due to high alcohol content.

O: This is a very good barrel-aged stout, especially for the price. The top dog barrel-aged stouts have this one beat, but for the price and availability, this is a wonderful substitution. I generally keep this around. This is a one-and-done beer (I can only drink one per session).

05-02-2013 01:14:31 | More by macher0
StoutItOutLoud

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12-oz bottle to a tulip. 2012 vintage. (Initial "had" rating of 4.5)

A: Viscous pour out of the bottle. Inky black, with 1/2-finger tan head. Alcohol legs are not strong. The head fades quickly, leaving minimal collar. The head reforms quickly with vigorous swirls however.

S: Oak, roasted malts, vanilla, bourbon. The dark fruits (raisin, prune) typical of style are very faint. The roastiness fades with warmth. The bourbon intensifies, but does not overpower the nose.

T: There is a strong roasted aspect to the taste at first. The bourbon appears next. The aftertaste is vanilla, sweet fruit. The bourbon flavor intensifies with warmth.

M: lipsmacker; sticky, syrupy body; low carbonation

This one warms nicely - definitely let it sit out for 10-15 minutes.

04-22-2013 00:57:49 | More by StoutItOutLoud
jadejaws

Missouri

3.99/5  rDev +1%

Even though it is a high ABV beer and that is understood, the taste of alcohol is overbearing at first. Further in, the beer has a distinct flavor of bourbon and toffee. Excellent beer just know what you are getting into at 10% ABV. I would drink this (slowly) again and enjoy it very much.

04-18-2013 04:35:00 | More by jadejaws
alphaacid9000

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from 2011

Pours almost black with an off white head.

Beautiful aroma. bourbon, oak, chocolate, figs, alcohol and raisins

Flavor is slightly sweet which is cut nicely with the bitterness. More oak and vanilla in the flavor than anything. Chocolate, toffee and caramel up front with bourbon and alcohol lingering in the finish

Overall - I love this beer. One of the best in its style and available year round.

04-18-2013 01:31:45 | More by alphaacid9000
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Vintage 2012 Bourbon Barrel
12oz served in a snifter.

A - Pours a dark brown almost black with highlighted edges. Small kahki head creates wispy patterns of micro thin bubbles.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, oak wood, toasted but sweet caramel/toffee, chocolate liqueur, bourbon comes out more as it warms.

T/M- Firm chocolate malts, wrapped in vanilla oak, cherry notes, caramel/toffee, maple sweetness, bourbon comes out later, earthy roasted bitterness, and bitter leafy green hops combine with a bourbon alcohol character on the finish.

M - Heavy side of medium body, creamy and fluffy carbonation, but the ethanol thins it out. A tad hot on the finish but seems to work.

I love how this beer shifts from a strong but rounded vanilla oak characeter at first but transitions into a serious bourbon character as it warms up. A very inviting aroma, and wonderfully melded flavors. This is to sipped on preferably around a fire.

04-14-2013 02:13:23 | More by StaveHooks
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I like to consider this my fall back when I dont want to drink any of my BCBS or I am out of CW BBS... But the fact is, this one can stand on its own and is no fall back, really good considering the year round easy to obtain status,

Pours about the darkest brown that it could be, almost black, finger of light tan head.

Smell is vanilla, toffee, caramel, oak

taste is much sweeter then most BA stouts, vanilla all over the place, bourbon, chocolate, oak, caramel and finishes with a almost milk stout lactose sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium full and creamy, finishes a little dry for the style, but not offensively so.

This is one I buy 6 months before I plan on drinking, it is almost always hot right away, but at about 6 months to a year it can run with the big boys, New Holland deserves more credit for this one!

Fresh I would give it a solid 4.15, but with a little age I land quite a bit higher!

04-14-2013 00:31:14 | More by nickapalooza86
bcm75

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle poured in a snifter.

One of New Holland's better offerings - sweet but not cloyingly so. Booze tastes are definitely there (can't be ignored). It isn't overpowering, but not quite as well balanced as some of the high-end brews in this genre.

04-09-2013 01:30:02 | More by bcm75
Rope

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance-
Dark, but not black. Thin white head, one finger.

Smell-
Oversweet vanilla, not hop presence.

Taste-
Good, a standard in barrel aged stouts. More sweetness than anything else.

Mouthfeel-
Thick, black oil like a good stout should have.

Overall-
Reliving and old beer, and it works as a drinkin' beer but nothing special.

04-06-2013 23:04:33 | More by Rope
stooge

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage, aged approximately one year in refrigeration.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance- Dark brown, slightly opaque, with a very little head; laces well, with low carbonation.

Aroma- Not overly aromatic, subtle scents of vanilla, roasted malt, and oak present.

Taste- Slightly sweet with toffee, caramel and chocolate on the front end, followed by a nice vanilla and boozy oak finish. Hints of oak and bittersweet chocolate linger.

Mouthfeel- Very nicely balanced, perfect mouthfeel for the style.

Overall- Very enjoyable, perhaps not on the level of some of the more hyped barrel aged selections that are released in limited quantities, but well balanced and available year around. Dragon's Milk has become a staple in my beer fridge due to it's consistency and availability. Highly recommended!

04-06-2013 05:31:48 | More by stooge
BB1313

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I haven't had this one in awhile. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with barely any light getting through. There's a small off-white/kakhi head which fades and leaves solid lacing. Aromas are subtle, but very solid. The bourbon blends very nicely with the oak and milk chocolate. There's also hints of vanilla bean, butterscotch, and caramel malts. Flavors are very solid as well. The oak/wood seems to take control. The bourbon does blend very well with the flavors as well. Roasted dark chocolate gives this one a decent bitterness and the milk chocolate gives it a solid sweetness. There's a touch of heat, but it basically non-existent. Aromas and flavors almost seem one dimensional, but there's just enough to make in pretty interesting. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's very rich, velvety, fluffy, creamy. It has a good carbonation, but still remains very smooth. Like I mentioned, there's a dash of heat, but nothing overwhelming and doesn't effect the drinkability.

I'm glad I revisited this one. It's not a mind blower, but it's pretty solid. Gotta appreciate that it's a barrel-aged stout that's easy to find on shelves. Worth checking out..

03-26-2013 21:16:34 | More by BB1313
stumac

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%

So I'm chillin at home last night smoking a little herb and playing Battlefield 3, when I realize... I have a bottle of Dragon's Milk in my fridge!!! Busted it open. Poured it in a glass. This is my experience....

Pours up black as an ageless storm, small head of color I cant remember. Aroma is so easy and pleasant on my senses. Malty, warm, hint of earth. I sip. I go into a coma. I recover three weeks later. The flavor profile was electric. Big barrel smoothness, malty, oak, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, some hops came by to see how I was doing but left shortly thereafter. The body was big, the carbo was smooth. Then, I awoke. Strange. No bottle in sight. No beer residue in my glass. Had I really drank the elixir...or was it all a dream...

03-26-2013 16:27:35 | More by stumac
Darkmagus82

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap in a snifter

Appearance- Served a deep brown colored brew with a tiny tan colored head. The head fades almost instantly leaving just scant lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is of a sweeter caramel, milk chocolate, vanilla and a coffee smell with a strong presence of roasted malt. Mixed with these smells is a moderately strong oaky and bourbon smell, producing when combined with the sweeter and roastier smells, a very warming smelling brew.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter caramel and coffee flavor upfront. There is some milk chocolate in the taste upfront with both becoming stronger more toward the middle of the taste. The caramel fades slightly in the middle however, leaving a slightly drier flavor. This loss of caramel is replaced by some flavors of vanilla later in the taste. In the end a strong bourbon, boozy, and oak flavor come to the tongue. These are accompanied by some earthy hop flavors as well as an increase in the roasted malt and bitter coffee characteristics of the brew to leave a lightly bittered and roasty boozy warming taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of its creaminess with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. The feel is a bit off as a creamier and thicker body would have really be much more appropriate for the boozy, oak, and roasted flavors of the brew with a lower carbonation level allowing all the darker and boozier flavors time to linger on the tongue.

Overall – A tasty and boozy stout. It has a great warming and oaky flavor with a slow drinking style, even with the slightly lesser mouthfeel quality, it is still fantastic.

03-26-2013 00:37:15 | More by Darkmagus82
hermit990

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. 2014 Vintage, date code on bottle translates to 2/25/2014. Review Date: 4/19/2014.

Appearance: Pours black/muddy brown, opaque. Half-finger's worth of a tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin layer.

Smell: Bourbon character hits first on the nose, some oak, vanilla, slight coconut aromas follow. Finishes with roasted malt, dark chocolate.

Taste: Bourbon barrel flavors hit first, matching the nose with the bourbon, oak and vanilla character. Afterwards, the malt starts to take over, lots of roasted grain and chocolate on the tongue with a very slight bitterness. Aftertaste has some coffee flavors, before the bourbon barrel emerges through again. Alcohol and dark fruits become more present as the beer warms, along with an earthy spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Body feels thin for the style. Slight alcohol heat is present. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: This is an enjoyable, decent barrel aged offering. In my experience, it has been easy to find, but can be a bit pricy at $16 per 4 pack in my area. It is a nice option if you're in the mood for a bourbon barrel aged beer, but there are others that I would choose first.

Overall:

03-23-2013 05:17:51 | More by hermit990
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company