Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,259 | Hads: 4,638

One word to describe this beer, that being AMAZING. I never thought I would be able to rate a beer as a 5. Even my favorite beers I wouldn't give a 5 to cause the aren't perfect. This beer hit the top in every way imaginable. (226 characters)

The first barrel bourbon stout I have had the privilege to taste! Pours a nice deep black, with a clinging tan head about a fingertip length. Strong smell with a nose that helps to enhance the taste, which is definitely one of the creamiest stouts I've ever tasted. Each sip is delectable and lingers around the mouth for many moments, providing a high level of consistency and satisfaction because of it. Overall a 5/5 for it being the first BBS I've had, and what is to me a well crafted stout.

Mine was a 22oz that I found for $7.99 at my local liquor store! (562 characters)

One of my absolute favorite beers! Had this on cask at New Holland and it tasted much creamier than the regular Dragon's Milk...tasted JUST like a chocolate shake! (165 characters)

My God... utterly amazing brew. Pours out to black coffee color with a nice firm tan head of about 1/4 inch. No lacing. Medium low level of carbonation. Aroma is laden with vanilla, malt, cream and coffee. Phenominal off the get go. Taste is heavnly; sweet creamy roasted malts blend with coffee overtones and woody scotch-like notes. Exceptional. Mouthfeel is wonderfully creamy, yet not sticky or too thick. Carbonation remains present and gives a slight zing to the finish. Exceptional drinkability, as the 10% ABV never even comes close to being noted. World class beer. Highly Recommended. This is what it's about people.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: I didn't even want to share this beer. Benji got one taste and nearly decided to go for the bottle and finish it. Bloodhounds have exceptionally good taste, as exhibited here... (830 characters)

Appearance:
Dark red brown with a varied tan foam head that builds up slowly then falls fairly quickly. Leaves a dense foam ring and a nice sticky lace after each sip.

Smell:
Very complex blend of sweet toffee and caramel, hazelnuts, coffee, chocolate and oak. Incredible.

Taste:
Hugely full and sweet roasted nuts and sweet caramel flavors. No hops or bitterness; smooth, clean and leaves a nice lingering woodsy / coffee aftertaste. Fairly prominent alcohol taste adds to the sweetness.

Mouthfeel:
A little crisp (fizz) but immediately smooths out and rolls on through.

Drinkability:
Comes in a 22oz bottle (marked 8.5% ABV) and is the perfect sipping beer when its a little cold outside. So smooth and full.

Comment:
I bought this beer at the beginning of my beer journey. I must admit that I was drawn into the marketing and picked it up because of the cool label (and because I really didn't know anything about styles at the time). I actually mistook it as a stout until reading more into it. It was immediately my favorite beer and I now buy any "American Strong Ale" or dragon labeled beer out of tribute to this beer and to see if any other is even close to this. I actively seek out this beer and always have one tucked away in the back of the fridge (away from beer thieves) for special occasions or when I am tired of other styles. I'll share a bottle with someone but only if they will appreciate it. This is my #1 favorite brew. (1,448 characters)

I WAS AT DENVER ROLLING ROCK TAP HOUSE OCT 4TH AND HAD A FRESH TAPPED DRAGON MILK ON OCT 4TH DURING GREAT AMERICAN BREEW FEAST . YOU TASTE THE ALE THEN YOU TASTE THEOAKFINISH THENYOU TASTE THE BOURBON FINISH VERY SMOOTH I HAD 2 BEST BEER EVER
11 PERCENT ALCOHOL CONCENT THEN WE HAD THE BEASTE FROM AVERY BREWING AT 13.0
ALCOHOL VERY STRONG NOT AS SMOOTH LOL (372 characters)

Perfectly balanced and very drinkable for an imperial. Alcohol is well masked by unsubtle tones of vanilla and cream. Just the right degree of bitterness and hints of oak. (172 characters)

It doesn't get any better than this. First tried from a tap last year and was hooked. Been searching ever since for something as good (or better) to no avail. So beautifully balanced I feel honored to drink it. Recommend savoring from a snifter and enjoy it like you would a fine cognac. It's that good. (303 characters)

Wow! This is a great beer. At first I thought it was a little to boozy, but after settling in on the bottle it was a nice warmth and flavor on the palate. I would put this Imperial stout at #3 on my list of best aged stouts. (227 characters)

ALL "5's" across the board! Sampled last night on 6/18/15. Comes in a 4-pack at the local Hy-vee and contains right at 11% alcohol (ABV)! Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 12 ounce 'Empyrean Brewing Co.' snifter glass.

Brew pours super close to a pitch-black in color with about a 1/2-finger foamy beige head. Lots of 'ring-like' lacing is seen when sipped. Aroma is of roasted malts and cocoa powder for the most part. Bit more going on with the taste as there is a hint of dark fruit (cherries?) along with a hint of vanilla also. No 'boozy' taste either as you might think with the 11% alcohol! Nice finish but does have a very mild bitter finish that lasts about 2 secs. Close to full-bodied with perfect carbonation, which isn't much as most types of this style are. You aren't going to drink more than 2 of these in a sitting I'm thinking. ;) A fantastic brew and a 'must try'! (926 characters)

New Holland hit a gold mine! Fresh malty smell, with a hint of bourbon. Nice pour with a darker thin lacing. Tastes like heaven. A bit thinner than most stouts. The bourbon oak flavor mixes in perfect, with a hint of vanilla. Smooth, clean finish. Bottoms up! (268 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Beer pours dark brown to black with a decent amount of cream-colored head with good lacing and retention.

Smell gives away the oak right away with sweet toffee / vanilla behind it.

The taste is sweet with a lot of oak and vanilla. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky.

I drank this by a campfire straight from a cooler. It came out of the cooler at around 45F which I think was just about right.

This was a real treat! (419 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26%

Just a spectacular beer. Dark as night, goes down smooth, with a beautiful bourbon-y finish. Has enough alcohol to kick like a mule, but that's all masked by the smoothness. Probably my imagination, but seems like I can taste the oak cask, and that's a good thing. Great with steak. Unconditionally recommended. (311 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley. (602 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Loved this beer dark in color mild to medium head. So creamy and yet barrel aged. I couldn't get enough of this beer so lives up to its name. i could drink this beer all day long anywhere at any time. I happened to see where this beer was brewed so that is so freaking awesome kudos to new holland brewing company (313 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Look: super dark brown
Smell: chocolate notes, heavy malted notes
Taste: creamy, heavy, thick, chocolate, espresso, slightly nutty
Aftertaste: warm, the thick heavy flavors stay with you for a bit
Overall: really excellent beer, would recommend for people that like stouts (272 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

This is probably in my top 3 favorite beers. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC.
It pours a thick, dark onyx with a nice off-white head. The nose gives you lots of chocolate, dark roasted malt, some vanilla oaky notes and just a hint of the alcohol. Each sip helps paint a full picture of this complex Strong Ale. You start off with lots of chocolate that tastes nice and creamy because of the subtle vanilla, and as it warms you start to taste the malt backing it up, along with some oak notes and again just a hint of the alcohol. The lingering finish is of vanilla and chocolate and leaves you wanting more. This is an awesome and dangerously drinkable beer for the 8.5% abv. (698 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I am not really sure how the Bros got this thing in a 12oz bottle serving, as I have never seen it in any other form than the double deuce seen in the picture. It makes me wonder if they really got to experience what Dragon's Milk is all about. I first tasted this brew at the Michigan Brewers' Guild Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids. I pick up a bottle whenever I come across it as it happens to currently hold the crown for my favorite beer. That said, I am gonna review this thing by the books. I hope I can positively portray what I see in this unique beer to readers and hopefully raise the curve.

An aggressive pour into my mason jar mug produced a 1-inch head consisting of large bubbles which settled into a nice dense 1-finger head. Dragon's Milk is dark and loose rather than the syrupy consistency of most stouts. VERY dark brown, not black. Nice lacing is sticking as the head subsides.

Even being a little stuffed up, I can smell the alcohol coming through like alcohol should in an ale with an 8.5% ABV. Vanilla notes and the tangy characteristic of the oak. By the way, any one saying too much oak flavor doesn't know what oak is supposed to taste like. Dragon's Milk was not brewed in whisky barrels. It's supposed to taste like oak, not whisky. It definitely comes through and is very unique to this stout. Dark roasted malts really meld with the oak for the perfect balance. Let's drink.

I love the alcohol/dark malt/smoky barrel flavor/vanilla hints all mixed together. That is the best way I can describe this. It is not so rich that you can't drink more than one like many stouts are. The oak and paint thinner-like alcohol dominate the back end and the sweet malts hit up front. Obviously Dragon's Milk is not a hop head kind of beer...it's a warm-feeling-inside kind of beer. The oak is in your face...but that's the point, Beer Bros!

I really like the non-syrupy feel of Dragon's Milk. It laces like a weak IPA, but is definitely thinner in consistency and is really pleasantly carbonated.

I drink this think like a cocktail. It has a huge alcohol feel, but not so much of the alcohol content compared to others. Too many and these can take you under, but a bomber on a lazy night is absolutely heaven. Give this thing a chance and enjoy the tastes for what they are supposed to be. (2,316 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured the 2012 vintage into my brandy snifter.

A - Dark beer, like a stout. I had about 1" light mocha head with a heavy pour.

S - Oh, my! Bourbon, vanilla and dark fruits, maybe raisin.

T - Creamy bourbon barrel flavors. More bourbon than some years. Vanilla and caramalized malts. Like some stouts, but without the coffee or chocolate flavors.

M - Perfect balance and carbonation. Close to a medium stout in mouthfeel. Creamy and wonderful to sip on!

O - Still one of my top 5 beers period! If you like stouts or bourbon barrelled ales at all, give this a shot. The best New Holland brew I've tasted. Maybe the best beer I've tasted. Always available. (659 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%

This poured much darker than expected, at a nearly opaque dark ruby with almost no head. It smelled very similar to a scotch with strong oak and leather notes, rich caramel malt, and a bit of smoke and alcohol. It tasted like aged and refined oak, light smokey leather, earthy barley and rich caramel malt, along with a bit of vanilla and sour cherry hops. It was somewhat thick with no carbonation, and had a lasting fairly sweet aftertaste. Overall this was one of the most distinguished tasting beers, and definitely one of the best oaked beers I've had. It had an intricate and delicious flavor, that was very clean and drinkable, with good body. I love everything about this beer. (685 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

This beer surprised me. I though that the price was too high but at the initial smell I realized there was something hiding in this bottle. After pouring I discovered a dark luxurious color was hiding behind the bottles glass. After pouring the beer the smell definitely was a little sweeter than before and the initial taste was smooth and flavorful (350 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

It comes in a 1 pint, 6 fluid ounce bottle. That's a total of 22 ounces for those of you that don't want to do the math themselves. It comes in a brown bottle with the name on it and the picture of a dragon over a barrel, very eye catching. There is also some informative writings about the beer on it.

The beer is a dark coffee color that light doesn't pass through. Very much like Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout. When poured into the glass it forms a nice firm half-inch head tan in color. I've been drinking on this beer for 20 minutes and the residue of the head is still along the edge where the beer and glass meet.

The smell is heavenly. You can smell the oak of the barrel, a hint of bourbon and a hint of vanilla, coffee and malt. The smell itself was enough to make Ktreva want to take a sip, and she doesn't like dark beers. I don't think words can describe the taste, but that won't stop me from trying. The taste is like happiness. Roasted malts with a hint of vanilla and bourbon entice the tongue and mouth. There is a very slight bitterness to it that enhances the flavor. Even Ktreva liked the taste, and she doesn't like many beers. This is a beer to be savored and appreciated, not gulped down to get another. What is even more surprising is that it is High Gravity ale with 9% alcohol by volume. Tasting this beer you would not suspect that at all.

The texture in the mouth is very much like milk. It's extremely smooth and doesn't leave a bad aftertaste. It coats the mouth and throat as it easily passes by in a pleasant way.

I've never had a beer like this before. When I say it's unique, I truly mean it is a one of a kind. This is the type of beer that beer lovers hope to find, and then are disappointed, when after sampling it, they can't find it anymore. It is a bit pricey at $6.99 a bottle, but well worth the price. If you ever get a chance to sample one, you'd be a fool to pass it up. There are only a handful of beers that I've had the pleasure of tasting that goes into my, "Special guest" category, but this is one of them. If I know I'm going to have an avid beer drinker over, I'll make sure to have a couple of bottles of this fine elixir in the house. This would be the 30-year single malt of beers. (2,245 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a dark and beautiful stout - it's slightly sweet to taste with vanilla & wood. It's high alcohol content is a bit dangerous as it is a smooth drink (157 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I picked this up at Whole Foods Market for about $7 just becuase of the name. How could i go wrong with Dragon's Milk? The bottle appeared different than the current pictured. It was black with a white dragon and barrel on the front, no date.
Poured smooth and creamy. The color is extremely deep brown with sienna highlights when held to the light. Small 1/2 inch head that left small amounts of slick residue.
I smell vanilla, oak and a hint of whiskey. Small amounts of each which when combined make an extremely interesting aroma. It took me a while to figure it out.
Taste was unbelievable. (GOOD) The oak barrel comes out fairly strong, hints of vanilla, whiskey, and cream. Don't be worried about the whiskey, it hints short and quick at the back of the throat and disappears. Quite an extraordinary flavor, unlike any other strong ale I've tried. Nothing like Arrogant Bastard or GLBC's Nosferatu. A class by itself IMHO.
I gave the feel and drinkability 5's because I could sip this all day or have it with my favorite smoke. It felt creamy smooth and leaves a nice taste.

Very good. (1,099 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

There are few, if any, brews like New Holland Dragon's Milk. Inky black, with the smell of vanilla, oak, bourbon, and an alcohol burn. Creamy, bitey, bitter. Of all the barrel aged stouts I have had, this one brings the most powerful bourbon punch. Lots of roasted malt and bitter chocolate. The finish is like dry cedar.

Tons of complex, full flavors, and at 10% ABV, tons of alcohol.

An absolute gem! (404 characters)

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company