Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,272 | Hads: 4,679
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Having this on tap as I type.
This little guy is spot on with the ratings. almost opaque in color with very little head and light lacing. Smell is woody with boozy plum and raisins. Taste is spiced turkish coffee wifh a slick start. The more it warms, the more the bourbon comes through. The mouthfeel isn't chewy as one might think, but a little easier on the back of the throat. The taste overall though, is of spiked coffee with an aftertaste of straight soy sauce! If you can get past that, this is a very good sipping beer. (528 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Opaque black, with a brown head that tries to form but never makes it beyond a patchy cap. Eventually it settles to a thin collar.

S - Butter, caramel, and chocolate. Hint of coffee and alcohol.

T - Semi-sweet malt, followed by bittersweet chocolate, and black coffee with an astringent alcohol bite.

M - Creamy and moderately carbonated. Borderlines on full bodied.

D - A little strong for multiple glasses, and slightly unbalanced. Decent strong ale, but would've probably worked better with a few adjustments as an imperial or American double stout. (612 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

2009 bottle, which I think I got from BeerTruth.

Pours very dark brown, nearly black, with dark brown/deep scarlet highlights at the edges. Only generates about one finger of fizzy tan head which keeps fairly well, but there wasn't much there to start with. The lace is patchy with a splash here and there on the sides.

Smells of sweet dark caramel and chocolate malts, plus some vanilla, oak, pepper and a hint of alcohol.

Taste consists of some roasted malt and bitter dark chocolate. Not as sweet as the nose let on, with a bit of dark caramel as well and a sort of cola-like quality to it. There a black pepper oaky quality to the beer as well, and some bitterness to go along with the spice in the finish. The more I drink though the more I feel like it's just a bit too thin, like there should really be more flavor here. What's here is good, but I want more.

Mouthfeel is a medium body I suppose but it feels thin for the strength of the beer. It's pretty smooth but also lacks much creaminess. Overall lacking in terms of mouthfeel.

This is a decent beer but I'm just left wanting more. At 8.5% it should really have more flavor, more body, but instead it comes off a bit thin. Not bad, but there are better barrel aged beers to be had. (1,250 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

A friend brought (thanks bigturo) picked this up while on vacation in Chicago, and brought it to a recent tasting. Review from notes.

A: Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. The beer pours a rich brown with a ruby red hue around the edges. A small quarter inch of creamy light tan head rose, and receded. Minimal lacing.

S: Intially I picked up pretty strong scents of vanilla and sweet caramel malt. There is a toch of oak, and some dark cherries in there too.

T: Malty caramel, oak, light bourbon, but a clean bitterness on the finish. The vanilla is less prevalent, sadly in the taste then the nose.

M: Light mouthfeel for what it is, lightly carbonated which was ok, but it was also a bit syrupy, sticky, and thin.

O: Good, but not great. This was stacked up to some pretty heft stouts in the tasting, so I hope to try it again on it's own sometime. (879 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Thin tan head of mixed bubbles, just covers the surface before fading into islands across the surface, light lacing albeit with some stickiness. The liquid is dark enough brown to suggest black, opaque although at the rims and glass bottom you can see it's an orangish brown as well as very clear. In the nose oak barrels is no lie, explosive coconut custard, butterscotch, caramel, chocolate covered raisins, maple syrup and just about anything else bearing a familial resemblance to the aforementioned, plums, prunes and maraschino cherries to boot. Medium-bodied, the low carbonation does little to fend off it soaking in like an anchor. Boozy, here you get another blast of vanilla fudge, butterscotch, caramel, coconut, licorice, etc. The cherry fruit has a cola edge to it like Cherry Coke, then slides you date, raisin, prune flavors. Brush of orange citrus. Relentlessly monochrome, if you are not totally into it from the start would need some kind of food to add contrast. (982 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Received as an extra and opened after a long day.

A - poured a little lighter than I expected, but sits dark with just a light tan ring around the glass. It swirls around the glass a little more freely than most BA stouts.

S - classic barrel aged stout nose, with a good bit of caramelized sugar, vanilla, booze, dark chocolate, a little coconut and coffee. As it warms im getting some cola aromas.Pretty complex.

T - A little bit of a letdown from the nose but certainly well done. At first I get a sort of boozy cola flavor that tastes better as it goes down. Vanilla, oak, some coconut and milk chocolate come out. Very warming and a bit hot in the finish.

M - a bit thin in my opinion and the carbonation is a bit too prickly. I think with a bit more body and a touch less carbonation this beer would really shine.

O - glad I got to try it and I am enjoying it very much, but it's not in my top BA stouts. Certainly very good and well executed but I prefer something with a bit more body. Still a solid beer and I appreciate the 12 ounce size. (1,053 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pitch black. Seemingly no lacing. Not much to be said here.

Smell: Coffee, smokey, and chocolatey.

Taste/feel: Interesting. Very interesting. It has a lot of chocolate and coffee like you'd expect in a stout, but there's some smoke in there. Another surprise was the feel and carbonation. The feel is rather light, and the carbonation is medium/high. The alcohol is easily detected in this one as well. Stouts and porters and the like aren't my favorite styles, but I don't hate this one. (502 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured into a pint glass

A-Deep brown nearly black with a 1 finger head and good retention

S-Vinilla and carmel malt mostly in the nose, notes of alcohol as well

T-The oak really comes out in the front and middle, very creamy and sweet malt. Vinilla notes and a pretty blanaced flavor. A tad to sweet.

M-Creamy and very smooth lacking a bit in carbonation may have hurt the balance a bit

D-Not something I would want all the time but im glad we can get it here in 750's now (478 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into New Holland glass. Appearance is a very dark brown with lighter brown light passage at the ends. Next to nothing in the way of head and lacing. The nose starts with vanilla and has a heavy dose of oak. A fair amount of booziness is present on the nose with a slight harshness which seems to comes from the spirit. The base beer seems hidden on the nose, perhaps some light cocoa character, but not much else. Taste is is oaky up front and heavy with vanilla in the middle. Again, not getting much base beer here, not sure if it is supposed to be stout or strong ale, but either way, I get little in the way of malt and hops. Just like the nose, a heavy boozy harshness comes at the end and leaves a slight burn. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the high gravity with moderate to high carbonation. Overall, this beer is a little one dimensional and lacks the backbone that I like in barrel aged beers. It's a nice and easily attainable bourbon barrel aged beers, but there are others I would turn to first. (1,020 characters)

Poured into tulip glass:

Pours dark brown towards black with rubyish highlights when held up to the light. It has decent head retention, with some trailing lace sticking.

The smell is of oak - woody with vanilla and subtle/mild hint of cinnamon. There's a subdued chocolatey malt sweetness.

The taste is very sweet - oak and alcohol dominate. Hints of chocolate and tart cherry come through. Sweet with a touch of tart - malt subdued under wood and booze.

Hits full-bodied as it progresses - enough to give it the higher of the two scores I had in mind for the mouthfeel. Carbonation is mild - enough to be present and keep it from being too thick, though it is a bit slick. Heat lingers on the palate.

It's not astringent, but it is sweet and boozy. Maybe age will calm the alcohol presence. And, while I can appreciate the oak, it dominates just a bit too much here. Still, it's one to buy and share with a friend when you want an oak-aged dark brew and if you're "in the mood" for the "heat". (1,001 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

The color is deep deep chestnut brown. Even in my fancy style pils glass, I can't produce much foaminess. About the only thing you get is a thin tan collar.

The aroma is 99% whiskey barrel. Perhaps some wet oak and light vinella.

Taste is whiskey with some oak and malts and a ton of booze. Maybe some dark tart fruit and cocoa.

Drinks medium, abit thin for a stoudt I think. Smooth to start before the fire hot alcohol at the end. This heat liungers deep into the aftertaste.

This beer is very pungent with booze and alcohol and drinks bigger then 10 in my opinion.
Oak and wiskey dominate hereat a cost of everything else.
Style too is a concern this here sites lists it as a stout but nothing is mentioned on the website.
I think a proper discription of the style would help in the reviews because baby this isn't a stoudt. (830 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a silver foil topped bomber into a snifter.

A - pours pretty dark with some red accents around the edges. very small head that quickly disappears. small amount of lacing.

S - interesting. it almost smells like a stout. chocolate and the woodiness of the oak. some vanilla is subtle.

T - sweet with a more powerful alcohol feel than I was expecting. chocolate with bourbon hints.

M - medium mouthfeel. the alcohol tingles the tongue. not overly carbonated makes more a nice sipping experience

D - kind of heavy and with the amount of alcohol its more of a one and done kind of beer. I could probably only drink this every now and then (650 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

A: pours dark brown with a small head that is gone quickly

S: boozy for me but it has a good vanilla smell that mixes with the oak and makes it ok by me.

T: i was expecting more oak and got more sweet. i think i actually like this for its lack of oak barrel taste. sometimes i drink an oak aged brew and think 'hell i should just get a glass of whiskey' but i found this to be just the right amount of oak aged and beer taste. don't get me wrong, there is absolutely a strong oak aged presence here just not as much as other brews i've had. the taste was (as it should be) the saving grace for me on this one. the warmer the better!

M: on the thin side of things but still manages to be creamy.

D: let it warm up and have it on a snowy night. its a solid clean tasting brew that i would have again if it were there but would not go out of my way to hunt down...although, maybe i'm wrong, i do love the label. (912 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Really nice. A nice barrel aged beer with nice flavor. A little strong on the alcohol taste, wish it had a little more oak flavor (maybe a little longer in the barrel would do!) Nice dark black color, brown head, deep chocolate smell and nice silky mouthfeel. Overall, a really nice drinkable barrel-aged stout!! (312 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this bomber into my 20oz glass. This beer pours black with a nice frothy head that sticks around awhile and leaves some decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt and alcohol. The taste is very dry like dark chocolate with some cherry taste at the end. The taste from the wood is also very prominent and must contribute to the dryness of this beer but not in a good way. The mouthfeel is smooth but a little dry. Drinkability is moderate. I finished the bomber but it certainly did not wow me. Overall I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more when I purchased it. (582 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap once and liked it pretty good so I bought a bomber to review. Poured into tulip. Dark brown with only a little light getting through. Even with a fairly aggressive pour, only a small head. Leaves a little lacing. Looks thin like an ale, but expected it to be thicker like a stout.

Slight aroma of roasted malt and chocolate. A hint of bourbon/brandy.

Solid flavor of dark fruit, chocolate, and very sweet. Oak aging apparent.

Good offering but with so many barrel~aged brews available today, this one comes up a little short. (544 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

A - Pours a dark brown color with a very thin tan head. It appears to be thin but that will change your opinion once you drink it.

S - Very sweet toffee flavors with some hints of chocolate and alcohol. Some licorice scents are evident with some dark fruits as well.

T - A lot sweeter than expected. Lots of licorice with toffee and caramel and some chocolate cocoa on the finish.

M - A lot thicker than I expected. The pour just didn't appear that way but when I tried it, it felt like a bubble of thick sweetness resting on my tongue.

D - An interesting balance of flavor with a lot of sweetness. Too sweet to drink a lot of in my opinion but a solid tasting beer. (674 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours jet black with a really fizzy head that moves on far to quick. Surprising for a imperial stout.

Smell - right away I get a ton of cocoa. Some vanilla and some oak.

Taste - starts off lots of chocolate. Some oak in the middle and finally it finishes with a little more oak and this slight metallic taste everyone has been talking about with this one. Although it's not overwhelming it still is present.

Mouthfeel - it's got that carbonation I was talking about. The alcohol is present in the backend.

Overall - the metallic taste kinda set this one back for me. It's good thought. (591 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%

I had this on tap before and did not like it. I decided to give it another chance in a bottle.

I poured into a pint glass to a scant tan head. It is dark brown/ black in color. I get dark fruit, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. I get all of those in the taste too. It reminds me of the Bell's Special Double Cream Stout I had last night but not as good. I do get some alcohol as well. Overall, it is better than the draft that I had, but still not that great, good but not great. (482 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A - Dark Brown. One finger of brown head that quickly became just a few bubbles lingering around the edges.

S - A ton of Bourbon. Oak. Vanilla. I kinda like it. Maybe dial back just a smidge.

T - The alcohol is definitely there. Roasted malts, chocolate, oak.

M - Medium. Creamy. Standard Carbonation.

O - I could smell this beer all day and for that I am a fan. As far as the taste goes I felt it lacked a little bit of complexity and the alcohol was super noticeable. (508 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into standard pint glass. Bottle purchased from Downtown Wine and Gourmet in Harrisonburg, VA.

A - Very little head, even with an aggressive pour. Not much retention but does show an off-white lacing around the edge of the glass, which fades as I drink. Very dark brown/black, although I see a bit of red reflections in the bottom of the glass when held up to the light.

S - Smells strongly of chocolate, dark fruits/cherry , and a hint of oak. Dark cherry and raisins is what really comes through.

T - Taste follows the nose, although the chocolate and dark fruits come through more than the oak. I also get some raisins and molasses. Works pretty well, although the finish was a bit boozy. Not surprising with the double digit ABV. I would have liked a bit more oak in the flavor.

M - Very smooth. Perfectly carbonated to my liking for the style. Medium bodied and a bit creamy. The mouthfeel is what impresses me most on this beer.

O - Overall, it wasn't bad, but didn't live up to my lofty expectations. It didn't blow me away. I think that I would go back to this one because I don't have trouble getting it, which is rare for a barrel aged stout, but would not prefer it to some of the other barrel aged I have had. (1,249 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance-
Dark, but not black. Thin white head, one finger.

Smell-
Oversweet vanilla, not hop presence.

Taste-
Good, a standard in barrel aged stouts. More sweetness than anything else.

Mouthfeel-
Thick, black oil like a good stout should have.

Overall-
Reliving and old beer, and it works as a drinkin' beer but nothing special. (363 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours dark brown with a light head and not too much lace, but a sufficient amount not to get docked. Nose is nice with notes of oak, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, and some light coffee. The taste doesn't mix these together quite as well, but is still pretty good. Good feel coming from all different directions and quite drinkable for the big beer that it is. (385 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

A - Nice head dies down awfully quickly to a meager lacing. Color is opaque, near black.

S - wood, dark fruit, more wood, vanilla, a little alcohol

T - this is where this beer is best, dark chocolate, vanilla, dried cherry, oak, fairly sweet, pleasantly warm in the finish

M - Not as as thick as I would have liked, and could have benefited from some more carbonation, but that's sometimes a problem with these barrel aged brews.

D - Decent, awfully candy like, and while it doesn't hide the booze it certainly integrates it very well. Could have stood for a body to match the sweetness. (592 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. It was black with very little head but lots of lacing. It poured fairly thick. You could definitely smell oak and vanilla with roasted malts. It was very thick and surprisingly sweet from what I remember from the last time I had it. The malt taste was also overpowered by vanilla. I have to say it was too much. I've read other reviews saying the alcohol was too much, but I didn't think it was too boozy. I had this out with friends before, but this time I drank it at home. I was less impressed with it this time, so it'll be some time before I have it again. (606 characters)

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company