New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros

lambdaomega555, Dec 24, 2011

ab39z, Jan 23, 2012

Blind, Aug 19, 2012

pmeice86, Jul 31, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -69.8%

I see quite the disparity in reviews here. I bought a 4 pack of bottles of this stuff, and after 1 beer all I can say is - yuck. My favorite beers are OldRasputin, Bell's Expedition,Weyerbacher15 and Brooklyn Black Choc Stout - so I love dark syrupy beers - but this one was horrible. It had way too much of an alcohol/cough syrup type vibe and the combo of how sweet it was with the alcohol and I can see getting sick after a few of these. Almost no head on the pour and after a minute, there was no head at all and the beer comes off as 'flat'. Avoid this one. Maybe they do have quality control issues, but they aren't getting my money on the chance I get something different.

darkbeeronly99, Nov 02, 2010

WillRadar, Dec 29, 2011

DrBobPierce, Jun 14, 2014

Mark5252, Jan 06, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -61.1%

I really think they should have to tell you if the "oaken barrels" they use had whiskey or bourbon in them first. Only because thats all I could smell, and all I could taste. When I purchase a beer, generally, I'd like that beer to taste like beer. Not hard liquor. This is one of those for people who can appreciate bourbon-esque like beers. Reminds me alot of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Which I also found dreadful.
Poured from a 22 oz bottle. The look was pretty much what I expected, dark and almost inviting. The smell made me cringe, straight bourbon-whiskey-alcohol. Then the taste. I just plain don't like whiskey, and this is all I tasted. For what it is, the mouthfeel was the only thing this has going for it. Light for the ammount of alcohol, and if I liked it, I could sip it all night long. Drinkability is pretty much a 0. But it only goes down to 1. Says on the bottle that this is New Hollands "crown jewel".... Well, give me those rocks and stones over there please.

hopstorm, May 03, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -59.8%

Instead of paying $14 for a 4 pack, found a loose bottle for $3.50. I was anticipating what the label stated, deep vanilla notes and can be paired with dark chocolate.

The ONLY thing the label live up to was the way too high 10% alcohol content. This percentage killed and masked any supposed vanilla notes at all. The nose wafted between a light caramel to stale beer. I washed my glass beforehand to ensure a sterile receptacle.

This was horrid swill and much too strong, bitter, sour and malty for my palate.

ibop, Apr 26, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -56%

Mattyb79, Jan 02, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -56%

heytomcat, Aug 28, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -54%

A: It looked dark. Really dark. Nearly black body with just a thing white head. Left behind thin white lacing as well.

S: Smelled mostly like whiskey. Maybe a faint cocoa powder, but mostly just whiskey

T: It tastes like it smells, whiskey. The alcohol is overpowering. Although the brew is only 10%, it tasted like it could have been 20. I could tell it was a familiar taste, but couldn't put my finger on it. Passed it to my little sister who nailed it right no the head. "Irish Car Bomb". It tastes just like an ICB and if you like those you'll love this. I tried to pick up the vanilla notes which the bottle hinted at, but I caught none of them.

M: Heavy and smooth. Swirl it around in your mouth and it will just feel like alcohol fumes.

O: I'm not a fan. Tastes like whiskey more than anything else, definitely not what I'm looking for in a beer. My older brother loves whiskey, so I got him a bottle. He didn't love it, but drank it. I would not get this again.

ABVerageJoe, Dec 25, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -53.5%

I have to say, since New Holland makes one of my favorite beers, I'm disappointed.

The first time I had this beer, it presented a great color and pleasant smell. On the front end, it was milk chocolate with a slight salty twang, but it finished with a nauseating taste of briny seawater. It was shocking. I promptly sent it back, assuming their keg had gone bad.

At another restaurant, I decided to give it another try. Unfortunately, I had the exact same experience: a salty brine that turned my mouth inside out and left me very thirsty.

It seems that a small percentage of the people who have this beer have a similar experience. Perhaps it's genetic, like those who think cilantro tastes like soap. Perhaps it's just bad on tap. Perhaps it's a bad beer. I don't know, but I won't be trying it again.

Mulciber_Volcanus, Oct 18, 2013
1.92/5  rDev -51.8%

lamkopro, Sep 13, 2014
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company