Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros

1.04/5  rDev -73.9%

1.2/5  rDev -69.9%

I see quite the disparity in reviews here. I bought a 4 pack of bottles of this stuff, and after 1 beer all I can say is - yuck. My favorite beers are OldRasputin, Bell's Expedition,Weyerbacher15 and Brooklyn Black Choc Stout - so I love dark syrupy beers - but this one was horrible. It had way too much of an alcohol/cough syrup type vibe and the combo of how sweet it was with the alcohol and I can see getting sick after a few of these. Almost no head on the pour and after a minute, there was no head at all and the beer comes off as 'flat'. Avoid this one. Maybe they do have quality control issues, but they aren't getting my money on the chance I get something different.

1.25/5  rDev -68.7%

1.25/5  rDev -68.7%

1.4/5  rDev -64.9%

1.55/5  rDev -61.2%

I really think they should have to tell you if the "oaken barrels" they use had whiskey or bourbon in them first. Only because thats all I could smell, and all I could taste. When I purchase a beer, generally, I'd like that beer to taste like beer. Not hard liquor. This is one of those for people who can appreciate bourbon-esque like beers. Reminds me alot of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Which I also found dreadful.
Poured from a 22 oz bottle. The look was pretty much what I expected, dark and almost inviting. The smell made me cringe, straight bourbon-whiskey-alcohol. Then the taste. I just plain don't like whiskey, and this is all I tasted. For what it is, the mouthfeel was the only thing this has going for it. Light for the ammount of alcohol, and if I liked it, I could sip it all night long. Drinkability is pretty much a 0. But it only goes down to 1. Says on the bottle that this is New Hollands "crown jewel".... Well, give me those rocks and stones over there please.

1.6/5  rDev -59.9%

Instead of paying $14 for a 4 pack, found a loose bottle for $3.50. I was anticipating what the label stated, deep vanilla notes and can be paired with dark chocolate.

The ONLY thing the label live up to was the way too high 10% alcohol content. This percentage killed and masked any supposed vanilla notes at all. The nose wafted between a light caramel to stale beer. I washed my glass beforehand to ensure a sterile receptacle.

This was horrid swill and much too strong, bitter, sour and malty for my palate.

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%