Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -34.3%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

2.68/5  rDev -33%

head is decent. color is good, but some light is getting through. nose is cardboard and molasses. Unfortunately, that is the taste, too. not worth the price. disappointing, given I've been looking forward to trying this. Based on reviews, I will be much happier with Night Tripper. Looking forward to it.
At this ABV, why is this classified as an american stout, versus a double? though I guess it does taste like a fairly weak american stout with some Old Crow mixed in. or maybe just crystal palace vodka.
It is still Way better than Boak's monster mash. That is my number one worst Impy experience. Still looking forward to Night Tripper. If that is so good, why is New Holland still marketing this?

2.68/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty dark beer. Almost black. Thin and airy light brown head. Lace is decent. Aroma is of oak, tannins, whiskey and slight caramel. Flavor is dried fruits, wet cardboard, tartness and stale bread. This one is just not hitting the spot as I thought it would. Nothing seems just terribly "off." Maybe a little oxidized. Just really not that good. Bland. I don't even pick up any barrel properties.

2.71/5  rDev -32.3%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy.

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a thick creamy head, but that was the highlight of this beer.

S: Overpowering alchol smell with slight hints of vanilla.

T: Can taste the oak from the barrels along with the hints of vanilla can be tasted. With the strong alchol smell I would think it would overpower the taste, but it did not.

M: not bad at first but sharp tang at the end.

D: Was drinkable but could not get over the sharp tang at the end.

Overall I was not very impressed with this beer. With the 10% Alc. can get you buzzed pretty quick.

Cheers!

2.74/5  rDev -31.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head that quickly goes to a collar.

The aroma is oakey and vinous with a big chocolate and peat malt base and a touch of tart and sour dark fruits. As it warms, old cheese and strong alcohol comes out.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with some vinous alcohol and plums. It has a smooth woody finish. As it warms, a lot of alcoholic and tart (almost sour) fruitiness comes out (cherries, plums). The mouthfeel is medium bodied and velvety.

Overall, it was not as complex as I had expected. I liked the first sip, but the more I drank of it, the less I liked it. The alcoholic tart sourness started to become a bit overbearing. It kind of reminds me of liquid fruit cake.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

Purchased off of the recommendation of an employee at my favorite beer store.

Appearance: Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. There is no head, it is a dark brown but not black at all, up to the light it shows dark ruby colors. The beer just looks dead to me, not a lot going on.

Smell: I catch a good amount of oak, some chocolate, sweetness, and booziness.

Taste: Not appealing at all. I taste a lot of oak and booziness, then the worst parts which were unexpected, metal and grass? I am little confused about these flavors, It was a new bottle so I assumed it would have minimal risk of oxidation, however the metallic taste was unmistakable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and standard carbonation for the style, sorry this part is a little vague as I did not want to keep the beer in my mouth long enough to get a great understanding of the mouthfeel.

Overall: I will not revisit this offering or recommend it to anyone else. Nothing melded together well between the different taste elements or the smell and taste combination. Oh well, plenty of other stouts out there.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

did not enjoy. i'm not a huge fan of high ABV beers but people had been nagging me, telling me i was going to like this one. i finally picked it up. i like all the new holland beers i have tried (the poet might be my favorite beer ever) but this was more than a disappointment to me.

the smell, the taste, the aftertaste - all of it kind of repulsed me.

i wasn't a fan of the 10% thing, but it was more the taste here. this just wasn't a good beer to me. in fact, i'd go as far as to say i found it a bad beer.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company