New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aggresive pour yeilds a dark brown, almost porter-like appearance. Good inch of off white, large bubbled head. dissipates slowly, leaving decent lace behind. no complaints here.

Smells like a chocolate porter. dry, very faint bourbon notes. nothing spectacular at all.

This is where it falls apart. Initial taste is a strange and uncomforting astrigency on the tongue. Followed by dryness of a porter that doesnt hold much of a bourbon flavor. After taste is chemically. Alcohol is well hidden tho.

Aside from astringent taste, the beer has a nice weight to it. It isnt too bad in the mouth but it falls apart after.

Drinkable, I dont think so. Im wondering if I can finish it.

imagineiii, Jan 04, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head that quickly goes to a collar.

The aroma is oakey and vinous with a big chocolate and peat malt base and a touch of tart and sour dark fruits. As it warms, old cheese and strong alcohol comes out.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with some vinous alcohol and plums. It has a smooth woody finish. As it warms, a lot of alcoholic and tart (almost sour) fruitiness comes out (cherries, plums). The mouthfeel is medium bodied and velvety.

Overall, it was not as complex as I had expected. I liked the first sip, but the more I drank of it, the less I liked it. The alcoholic tart sourness started to become a bit overbearing. It kind of reminds me of liquid fruit cake.

Beaver13, Apr 13, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours dark amber brown, porter like in appearance with a thick creamy head of fine, medium and large bubles.

First taste is TART, What is this an oak aged lambic porter ?
The tartness lingers and seems to overwhelm the malt and hops.

Thanks DonO for this one; I am glad I tried it, but it doesn't excite me.

HopHeadKen, Jul 30, 2005

HeyYoMar, Feb 27, 2013

Cooper, Nov 27, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

Purchased off of the recommendation of an employee at my favorite beer store.

Appearance: Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. There is no head, it is a dark brown but not black at all, up to the light it shows dark ruby colors. The beer just looks dead to me, not a lot going on.

Smell: I catch a good amount of oak, some chocolate, sweetness, and booziness.

Taste: Not appealing at all. I taste a lot of oak and booziness, then the worst parts which were unexpected, metal and grass? I am little confused about these flavors, It was a new bottle so I assumed it would have minimal risk of oxidation, however the metallic taste was unmistakable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and standard carbonation for the style, sorry this part is a little vague as I did not want to keep the beer in my mouth long enough to get a great understanding of the mouthfeel.

Overall: I will not revisit this offering or recommend it to anyone else. Nothing melded together well between the different taste elements or the smell and taste combination. Oh well, plenty of other stouts out there.

OddNotion, Mar 28, 2011

beerFool28607, Mar 08, 2012

Noelito76, Apr 27, 2014

krs103, Jun 21, 2014

Punkrckr281, Jun 24, 2012

Bettyloug, Jul 29, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

did not enjoy. i'm not a huge fan of high ABV beers but people had been nagging me, telling me i was going to like this one. i finally picked it up. i like all the new holland beers i have tried (the poet might be my favorite beer ever) but this was more than a disappointment to me.

the smell, the taste, the aftertaste - all of it kind of repulsed me.

i wasn't a fan of the 10% thing, but it was more the taste here. this just wasn't a good beer to me. in fact, i'd go as far as to say i found it a bad beer.

kim_thayil, Sep 25, 2014

Betina, Sep 09, 2013

oddapt, May 03, 2012

denver10, Jul 19, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a thick creamy head, but that was the highlight of this beer.

S: Overpowering alchol smell with slight hints of vanilla.

T: Can taste the oak from the barrels along with the hints of vanilla can be tasted. With the strong alchol smell I would think it would overpower the taste, but it did not.

M: not bad at first but sharp tang at the end.

D: Was drinkable but could not get over the sharp tang at the end.

Overall I was not very impressed with this beer. With the 10% Alc. can get you buzzed pretty quick.

Cheers!

plusorminus, Dec 30, 2010

weller79, Sep 29, 2014

Mick-e-d, Mar 12, 2012

Djsaturn1, Mar 04, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Loads of carbonation, towering beige head with medium sized bubbles. Body is a very dark, amber brown with no light getting through it.

S: Some light molasses, oak, vanilla bean, light chocolate and cafe au lait.

T: Overly sour with strong cola twangs. Has some dried cocoa flavors mixed in with sour milk. Finishes cloying.

M: Full body with a touch of fluffy carbonation.

D: Not so good. I think this bottle went bad. I'm not gonna finish it. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one.

Westsidethreat, Aug 18, 2006
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company