New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
TheSixthRing

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Appearance - Pours jet black with cola brown edging where light can penetrate. Poured aggressively, it produced a cocoa powder colored finger with head with good retention. Nice, fine and silky lacing with great stick.

Smell - Alcohol astringent forward aroma, with lesser notes of vanilla and chocolate.

Taste - Starts with strong notes of vanilla and alcohol. Strong alcohol heat throughout. Mid-taste a chalky chocolate flavor makes it's debut. Aftertaste hits on mocha coffee and faint alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. Smooth and creamy to start, but the alcohol gives a thinning, dry finish.

Overall - This is a good stout, but comes through with a lot of heat. I imagine this being a beer hard alcohol drinkers might like; I myself find it a bit too aggressive and transparent. Decent complexity that's overwhelmed by the near numbing heat. That said, there's just enough redeeming stout character that I'd drink it again.

12-03-2012 05:50:11 | More by TheSixthRing
msgraves

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Served in a snifter from Dilly Deli in Mariemont, OH.

Presented as a deep, deep reddish-brown with minimal head and mediocre lacing around the edge of the glass.

What first hit me with the aroma was the astringency/alcohol and complexity of a fine bourbon. Lots of vanilla and chocolately sweetness compounded with some oak. Plenty of bourbon character to this one.

Again the bourbon shines through but with enough malt backbone to support it. Many of the aromas are mirrored in the taste: vanilla, chocolate, malt, alcohol.

Felt a little thin in my mouth. However, the beer finished sweet and lasted a moderate amount of time.

Look forward to having this one again.

06-19-2008 06:00:11 | More by msgraves
bditty187

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Dark brown in hue with a ruby influence, the liquid seems clear. The head was beige in color; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was decent, the bubbles collapsed to a soapy cap, it was thicker around the edges but not naked in the middle but after a few more moments there was exposed liquid. There was some subsequent lacing; it was unorganized and not very prevalent. On the whole, this beer looks respectable but not remarkable.

The nose really surprised me! There is a rustic chocolate twang with vanilla, old oak chips, cookies, cream, vanilla schnapps, and there is a distant whisky cake vibe. The potency of the aromas was moderate. The nose is articulate, even if it is a mouthful... there is a great deal going on here. I need a breather just to figure things out. I can’t say I find the nose inviting but I am interested in taking a sip. I’d call it odd and mystical.

The palate is as strange as the nose suggested. What is the deal with the acidity? This really throws a curveball in the mix. It is like a Milk Stout on crack mixed with bourbon and vanilla schnapps. Okay, I don’t really know what the whole “milk stout on crack” means but you get the point I hope. It reminds me of a lambic and a stout, mixed. At least I can call this beer unusual. I do like, a lot, the chocolate cake taste, the vanilla cookie sensation, and the oaky underbelly. Honestly, I don’t dislike any aspect of this beer, it is just odd but it is growing on me. The finish reminds me of yogurt. Do I really want his in a beer? I guess so… the alcohol burn is minimal but it does supply a good deal of supporting attributes. I wonder if this beer is suppose to have the lactic twang… if not, I could see this beer kicking-ass. If so, this beer is very good, very odd but very good. Without hesitation I would sum up this beer as “wacky as shit.”

Around medium in body, the carbonation is low but very fitting for this beer. The mouthfeel isn’t impressive but it isn’t flawed either. It is good... workable but in order to reach greatness there needs to be more might in the mouthfeel department.

This beer is pretty drinkable, all things considering. There are many pluses but there a couple minuses. When I add them up, the pluses win. This is a good beer but it is nothing I would seek out or buy many of if I had the chance. I would like to try it again but because this beer was so surprising I might like it more now that I have been acclimated. I need to thank mentor for the bottle. It was a gift, what a great guy.

08-16-2005 15:53:06 | More by bditty187
bluemoonswoon

3.85/5  rDev -3%

A: Brown out of the bottle, deep black in the glass, topped at first with an inch and a half of loose, tan bubbly brown head that fades into a just as loose and soapy looking cap.

S: Lots and lots of bourbon, sort of amazing, I think this could give Bourbon County Stout a run for its money in terms of all out bourbon aroma, though given a bit of time to warm up other aromas begin to show themselves: vanilla, molasses, raisins, bitter bitter chocolate, lots of sweetness but really mostly bourbon.

T/MF: Bourbon up front but sweeter, richer flavors developing beneath. Vanilla, oak, molasses, and even a bit of pitted cherries make an appearance here. Feel is thick and sweet and grabs the tongue on the way down.

D: Not really sure where this beer fits, it tastes a lot like bourbon barrel aged stouts I've had in the past except that it's not a stout and the bourbon really seems to be the only thing driving this beer. If the beer were not barrel aged I am wondering what I'd be left with. Knowing this though the beer is still pretty good and drinks a great deal lighter than the above mentioned Bourbon County Stout. One is good and I'd leave it at that for the night.

03-29-2010 00:59:48 | More by bluemoonswoon
SpdKilz

3.85/5  rDev -3%

First and foremost, a huge thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for hooking me up with this beer. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate color into my Bell's Tulip. Slight light can be seen through the beer. Less than a finger of tan head is achieved with a vigorous pour, which dissipates relatively fast leaving thin lacing.

Smell - I will admit, my nose is a hint stuffed up tonight, however, despite this I feel there is not a whole lot going on in the nose. I can smell the vanilla and oak, slight chocolate, dark fruits such as plum, and caramel/toasted malt.

Taste - An odd bitterness is at the forefront (a bitterness I was not expecting from the nose). There is heavy oak, bourbon, and vanilla. The more I drink this and the beer warms up, the more prominent the vanilla becomes. There is only a slight chocolate characteristic here - the overall sweetness is from the vanilla and molasses flavors. A bit cloying in the sweetness department.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light bodied, a bit watery to be honest. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability - For the style and ABV, relatively so. I don't get any alcohol flavor nor burn. I will admit, however, that the New Holland Night Tripper Kevin sent me was a hell of a lot better than this. I would be interested to see how this beer would do in the cellar for a year or two. I think it would do quite a bit for it and will have to try this again in the future after a few years of age on it.

11-07-2010 06:24:58 | More by SpdKilz
Bung

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Dark red/brown pour, almost no head to it. Not a strong aroma, slight coffee and toffe. Pretty malty with carmel and slight chocolate. Nice warming going down, 9% abv not offensive at all. Had some other bourbon barrel aged beers, I don't get much in this one from oak barrel.. Reminds me of Highland Brewing's Tasgall Ale. Not bad at all though.

12-10-2008 00:58:25 | More by Bung
claspada

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Aromas of dark roasted espresso beans with ample amounts of dark baker's chocolate. AS it warms you get slight alcohol, oak and light vanilla.

The taste starts off with milk chocolate cocoa powder and some oakiness that fades into a bitter dark chocolate boozy finish. One again as you let this warm to the appropriate temperature you get lesser notes of coconut and vanilla and a more prevalent sweetness/fruitness that is undetectable initially.

Mouthfeel was full with the oak aging helping to dry out the complex high ABV, maltiness and overall flavor profile. Overall I really enjoyed this beer, not as good as I first remember when I sampled it on draft at the original Savor, but still good non-the-less.

05-04-2011 16:39:42 | More by claspada
alcstradamus

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Near black pour with a small, quickly disappearing head. Smell is lightly toasted malts, faint hints of oak and toffee, and a bit of citric hoppiness.

Taste is roasted malt, oak, and a tiny bit of dark chocolate bitterness. A bit ashy in the aftertaste. Slightly fuller than medium bodied. This is standard fare for barrel aged stouts. Nothing to make it stand out, but definitely still very flavorful and somewhat tasty

12-08-2009 02:57:23 | More by alcstradamus
dbrauneis

3.85/5  rDev -3%

A: Pours a very dark amber to dark brown (almost black) in color with some brown highlights and light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation near the surface. The beer has a finger tall creamy tan head that reduces to a small patch of thick bubbles, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a medium-thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of bourbon and bourbon barrel (oak/vanilla) with some very light notes of milk chocolate sweetness.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of bourbon with some lighter notes of dark roasted malts, milk/lactose sweetness, milk chocolate, oak, and vanilla.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation.Moderate amounts of alcohol heat and some light dryness in the finish.

O: This is an enjoyable beer due to the bourbon barrel aging adding to the nice stout flavors and aromas but needs to be sipped slowly as this is a pretty big beer (and the alcohol is not too well hidden in it).

11-08-2012 20:17:23 | More by dbrauneis
JamesMN

3.85/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Opaque black with a hint of brown around the edges. Very thin light brown head that is now almost nonexistent.

Aroma: Get vanilla right away. Underneath that there are roasty tones, oak, alcohol, and just a dab of dark fruit.

Taste: This one definitely has a pleasant oaky quality to it. Starts like a regular Imperial Stout with dark roasted malts and a rounded flavor. About halfway through you start to get the vanilla and oak which only builds from there. The end adds a moderate alcohol note that stays through the finish. Leaves a bitter chocolate and slightly hoppy flavor on the palate as well as some dark fruit and an alcohol bite. Real nice warmth in the back of the throat long after drinking. The 10% ABV is by no means hidden but it seems to work well that way. The only drawback is that it's not quite as robust as one would expect it to be.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body which is a little light for the style. A little more carbonation than I had anticipated but fairly easy to drink.

Final Thoughts: A little let down because of the slightly thin body. However, it hits all the right notes in terms of flavor and doesn't disappoint when it comes to the oak aged quality. Would I drink it again? It would not be my go-to Imperial Stout but I would give it a try on-tap.

01-13-2013 06:05:15 | More by JamesMN
sweemzander

3.85/5  rDev -3%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a dark black color with just the tiniest bit of dark brown highlights. Absolutely no head formation even after a rather vigorous pour.

(S)- A general roastedness of malts. A bit of raisin & molasses-like coffee. Finishes with a touch of vanilla & brown sugar sweetness.

(T)- Basically, just like the smell foretold, only with an obviously present warmth. Rather sweet.

(M)- A good carbonation level for the style. A relatively good balance to it. Just has a small level of boozy warmth going down.

(D)- Definitely New Holland's best offering and perhaps their most popular too. Still a little sweet like most of New Hollands offerings, but not overly so. I wouldnt mind having this once and awhile.

01-16-2010 00:15:32 | More by sweemzander
avalon07

South Carolina

3.85/5  rDev -3%

A: When I poured this beer from a bottle to a pint glass, it had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a quarter inch head and some good lacing.

S: Not exactly an overpowering aroma, but solid. Strong presence of malt, chocolate and a bit of hops.

T: When you drink this, you get a big shot of coffee, then chocolate, then roasted malt. There's also some caramel in there as well. Very tasty and pretty complex.

M: This had a fair amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. It's not quite a full-bodied beer, but not a medium-bodied, either. Something in between.

D: This is a drinkable beer. It's a little on the heavy side, but it has a solid taste and a goes down easy.

05-12-2008 13:15:42 | More by avalon07
tobelerone

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Wasn’t expecting too much from this beer and it was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Pours like a good imperial stout should, jet black with a frothy brown head. Head dissipated fairly quickly, some patchy lacing remained on the glass.

Nose is chocolaty will prominent oak, maybe some subtle dark fruit, vanilla, coffee. Decently roasty. In the tasting the oak is there but not as prominent as in the nose, which I felt was a good thing; a little oak barrel is nice but I don’t always want to drink something that tastes like a wood shop. Again there was plentiful chocolate, a hint of vanilla and coffee, some raisins and figs, and a very mild touch of tartness that was a little odd. Thankfully it wasn’t particularly noticeable.

Body is medium-full, with moderate carbonation and a somewhat sticky overall mouthfeel. This is a pretty good beer, certainly not upper echelon, but not bad at all either. Lacks the fullness, heft, and complexity of the best of the style but also the pricetag of most. Worth a shot at least.

edit: more than two years and over a thousand beers later I find much of what I mentioned above still true, but I'd amend things by saying the body is firmly medium and isn't that sticky at all. Carbonation is medium but on the high side for style. Ultimately the feel is a little unsatisfying.

I'll give this beer credit for nicely counterbalancing sweet and roasty elements, but at this point I'm looking for more barrel out of my BA beers and more complexity out of this style in general.

05-11-2012 18:18:46 | More by tobelerone
joepais

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Bottle poured into a sniffer produced a fingers worth of tan head that turned to lace on top of a black body

Aromas of chocolate and coffee filled my nose a nice oak woodiness as well

Taste the same as the nose but with slight alcohol warmth

Full bodied brew not much carbonation

I had this before I flew out of VA and I am glad I did it turned into a long flight. I finished the bomber by myself and was looking for more it's a good brew

07-10-2008 01:38:28 | More by joepais
BarrelO

3.85/5  rDev -3%

22oz bomber poured into a goblet. 8.5% ABV according to the bottle.

A: Dark brown body, almost black. Little head with no lacing to speak of.

S: Lots of oak. Also some vanilla.

T: Again, oak and vanilla. Some whiskey-esque alcohol burn.

M: A bit thin. I would have liked it to have been more substantial.

D: I'm not sure what to make of this. It's kind of in style limbo. It has a few elements of a stout, an old ale, and a barleywine, but it never really takes off when taken as a whole. I don't regret trying it, but I don't see myself seeking it out in the future.

05-18-2009 06:55:24 | More by BarrelO
DoubleJ

3.85/5  rDev -3%

After 4 hours of not having electricity in my house, it has returned. And my beer is still chilled. On to the beer:

Black, as expected, with ruby red hues when shined through a light. The head fizzes away, which is dissapointing. But hey, it smells nice. Pleasnat. Mellow. There is some vanilla, cream, and a light touch of oak. Some coffee too.

It tastes sweet and milky at first taste. Milk and cream for certain. A pinch of booze heats things up. There's the oak, and it begins to take hold. It starts to impart a fruity flavor with wood. Medium bodied with light carbonation, not quite as "high gravity" as I would expect. Actually, it thickens up some as it warms. Overall, the flavors meld better as it warms.

I was unsure about this beer at first, then things started to get better and better as it warmed. A nice beer to try if you have a sweet tooth and/or are an oak lover.

08-27-2009 05:26:29 | More by DoubleJ
youngleo

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured a dark brown in color. Head was offwhite in color. Or you could probably say tan in color. Had a nice two fingered head that didnt hang around very long. Left some lacing, but not alot. Smelled of alcohol, caramel, and malt. Tasted sweet like caramel. Also notes of cream, oak, and alcohol. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. With the higher ABV, you couldnt make this a session beer. But it sure tasted good on a cool October evening.

10-18-2009 13:47:45 | More by youngleo
CoolJosh

3.85/5  rDev -3%

2006 courtesy of Nittanybeerfan. Dan, you are the man!!!

Poured from a 22 oz. Pours a nice chocolate hazy brown which shows some translucency around the edges. It yields a nice creamy tan head which laces the glass quite nicely.

Nice sweet chocolate and roasted caramel scents. Really creamy chocolate is very pleasing. Some vanilla and light oak reside here as well. Nicely done, but it is too subdued.

The taste mirrors the scent. The flavors are full blown and come out nicely, but they lack that over the top robustness found in some of the other Old Ales that I have had. Fairly creamy, with a nice roasted caramel flavor on the tail of the glass. Really good beer. The mouthfeel is a little bit thin, but that is overlooked in the high drinkability.

07-30-2009 01:27:28 | More by CoolJosh
JVEyck309

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Found this in my friend's local store, (Englewood NJ) hadn't seen anything by this Brewery before so I went for it.
Bomber poured into regular glass
Dark black with thin sticky head
Smell is big on the oaky side with vanilla caramel syrup
taste was to be expected, heavy warming alcohol, whiskey, oak, caramel vanilla, sweet malt
Oak flavor might be a bit much but I'm enjoying this, really warms the throat, great for a cold night like tonight.
High abv doesn't make this session worthy but I would get this again.

10-17-2009 03:10:04 | More by JVEyck309
Vancer

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Looked forward to this lil’ bad boy, the pour just got the juices flowing. A dark brown, almost black brew with a frothy tan head – head died to fast, but it did leave nice lace rings.

A malty wheat aroma, with hints of smoke. A dry and crisp pull noted caramel, chocolate and notes of a malty sour ale. Hints of burnt toast throughout the bottle.

A small alcohol burn during the bottle – this brew could have used another 6 months of aging.

07-17-2006 18:34:53 | More by Vancer
wiscokid920

Maryland

12oz Bottle poured into Pint Glass

A- Dark opaque brown to nearly black. Nice lacing but a tad bit thin. Head fades rapidly

S- Bourbon, Vanilla, Molasses, Oaky Char

T- Follows the nose well. Welcomed with bourbon, vanilla, and molasses which fades into a nice dark chocolate and sweet booze finish. Surprisingly sweet.

M- Creamy and smooth. Not a lot of carbonation. Starts out thin and heads with a chewing body.

O- One of the best barrel aged brews I have had. Very well balanced. It’s a delicious big beer that deserves to be enjoyed. An excellent offering!

12-15-2012 02:58:47 | More by wiscokid920
mdfb79

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 oz. Bottle into a pint glass.

a - A very dark black, letting in absolutely no light. It has a small amount of carbonation, and almost no head whatsoever. The smallest ring of white head appears around the edges.

s - Smells of roasted malts, vanilla, oak, also a little chocolate and coffee.

t - The taste that first jumps out at me is again the roasted malts, followed by the vanilla. It has a milky taste to it and also small hints of chocolate and bourbon, though nothing overpowering.

m - Moderate carbonation and a full body, it's actually kind of smooth.

d - Overall I think it's a decent strong ale, but nothing to write home about. It does have a creamy, smooth milk/vanilla flavor, but the alcohol comes through in it.

01-24-2010 22:40:57 | More by mdfb79
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.85/5  rDev -3%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This pours a very dark brown with reddish highlights and about a 1 finger head of tannis foam. Average head retention but it does have some nice lacing.

The smell is dominated by caramel malt but I also get some roasted malt, vanilla, and wood. Pretty nice nose.

The taste has notes of caramel and roasted malt, toffee, a real oaky flavour, and a bit of dark fruit but mostly caramel and toffee and it's hitting my tastebuds nicely. Oh, now I'm noticing a bit of vanilla; it's stronger in the smell than in the taste.

The body is thinner than I expected though it is quite creamy, carbonation is on the low side, and the abv is hidden pretty well.

Because of it's smoothness, I find it quite drinkable.. a very nice American Strong Ale indeed. I'd drink it again.

04-25-2008 23:30:44 | More by Bitterbill
Corndork2

12oz Bottle poured into snifter

A - Motor oil black. Thin head that dissipated quickly. No lacing.

S - Strong chocolate and coffee tones. Deep, dark malts come through as well.

T - It smells darker than it tastes. However, it tastes just like it smells. A big dark malty, coffee, and dark chocolate kind of taste

M - Coats the mouth and throat, the lack of head makes it feel less creamy than I would like. Its not watery by any means, but it is not thick by any means either.

D - Sharp going down, but overall a very good after dinner sipper

01-20-2011 22:49:42 | More by Corndork2
TheCondor

Missouri

3.86/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My buddy Small Paul hooked me up with this brew as a sample from the supplier he works with. He was really excited about this giving me this brew, as he knew I was a) a bourbon fan and b) a fan of stouts. By default, that makes me a huge fan of Bourbon Barrel Stouts and other such whisky inspired brews. I was looking very much forward to this as well. Side poured from the bottle into a custom Boulevard/Deschutes event tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours just like a nice solid stout should pour. Dark, basically black, with little head or retention to speak of. Looks like coffee inside the glass, which is exactly what I want. Cool packaging on the brew.

Smell - Fudge, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits. Everything you would expect from a bourbon branded beer except: bourbon! A smidge disappointing. I could only detect a slight odor, if at all, of actual bourbon. I still rated the beer highly, but I would like to see a little more bourbon notes.

Taste - Follow the nose closely, and again, lacking on the bourbon punch or burn. Vanilla, roasted malts, dark fruits, very tasty and satisfying.

Mouthfeel - Ultra smooth. I rated this portion higher because of the smoothness of the 10% ABV and the velvety character of the beer. While adding bourbon, like I have suggested, would result in a higher rating in smell and taste, it would add a bourbon burn to the mouthfeel. While that is off-putting to many drinkers, it is not to me.

Overall - As I have stated, I would like to see more of a bourbon character in a beer with bourbon right there on the label. With that being said, this is an excellent beer otherwise, and highly recommended. Just forget the bourbon part, and drink it as an imperial stout or something like that.

07-18-2014 01:59:10 | More by TheCondor
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company