New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -51%

I feel strange about this beer. I usually love big beers... this one was just a mess.

A- Came in a pint glass with minimal off- white head. The color was a very dark as night red. It's almost black. the head does not stick around for long and just leaves the unexciting dark liquid behind.

S- I am instantly hit with molasses. The next thing that comes to me is a strong bourbon/ whiskey odor. I struggle to get anything more out of this.

T- The flavor is the same as the smell. The molasses was smooth up front, which was kind of nice. But then the overwhelming whiskey hits. It is over-bearing and causes me to wince every time I take a sip.

M- Pretty thin for what it is. Burning from the whiskey. Not something I wanted to savor.

D- I really regretted getting this. I feel like I could appreciate a beer that is barrel aged, this was just way overbearing and it was not "milky" in any sense of the word.

david131, Jan 27, 2007

RyanGustner, Apr 10, 2012

thearsenal, Nov 18, 2011

Duvel, Mar 08, 2013
2.04/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

reviewed from notes 11/25/12
Pours clear and almost black in color can barely see through it unless you hold it up to the light then its very dark reddish brown. Smells very oaky and sweet with notes of vanilla low high carbonation tastes extremely overpowering...nope IS overpowering, way tooo rich! gut-rot! style I'd give a 3 out of 5 over all for me thoe a 1.5. The local craft beer magazine here "The Growler" I usually agree with but the review on this one couldn't be more off: "Super creamy stout" I find the body very thin for a stout. "Loads of caramel" I wish, I didn't even get a hint of it! "Tootsie Rolls" where?! "Roasted nuts" Nope!

Beerlover, Aug 13, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -48.5%

Pours an odd looking murky brown sludge with a fizzy tan head. No clarity. On the nose there is tons of chocolate and aggressive burnt wood. This is a real one directional aroma. The taste tells the same story: too much wood that somehow brings some chocolate to the table. The more delicate notes of the base beer are completely overwhelmed by the oak. Low drinkability. One of the worst fiscal decisions I’ve made lately...

yamar68, Mar 07, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -47.7%

A: Pours a dark black with a thin tan head.

S: Toffee, caramel, and roasted malts.

T: Coffee, caramel, and roast. A touch of bourbon with some woody oak notes towards the end. Strong, hot alcohol presence on the finish was a big turnoff. This just shouldn't happen in an 8.5% beer.

M: Good medium body, good carbonation.

D: This brings me back to the hot alcohol, which really ruined this beer. It became less appealing as it warmed as well, which made the hot alcohol much stronger.

Clearly, the hot alcohol was my biggest problem with this beer. I would give this another shot if it was cellared for a few months as it can possibly mellow out the booze, but from this first impression, this was a tough one to get down.

OrangeCharlie, Dec 12, 2009
2.11/5  rDev -47%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A: Clear, but as dark as used motor oil; just a hint of red mahogany shows through on the fringes. Head is 2 fringes of froth the color of toasted marshmallows, and lasts a good while before giving way to thin lacing.

S: Sweet malt, dark fruit, chocolate, and booze. A lot of booze...

T: Malt is sweet, almost cloying. Then there's an onslaught of flavors: dark chocolate, raisins, coffee, vanilla beans... It's a bit overwhelming for a brief moment, but then comes a harsh kick in the mouth as a bitter, chemical taste comes through. I can't quite place it, but it's as if someone poured bad grain alcohol into the vat to up the potency. Eventually it fades, leaving a residual taste of butter and fruit jam on burnt toast.

M: That heavy booziness on the nose is overpowering in the mouth. Some imperial stouts hide their high ABV's well, but not so this one. I can hardly pay attention to the carbonation or other sensory qualities. There's also a dry, nearly astringent finish, not that I'm worried about that at this point. Seriously, I've had 40% ABV whiskey that was smoother and less boozy than this stuff!

O: Looked good, smelled fine. Unfortunately, it all fell apart when it hit my mouth. An expensive drain pour.

TappaKeggaBrew, Oct 26, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -46%

22oz brown bomber with a cool white silk screen label with a dragon and barrel on it. Severed into a nonic glass. Very deep mahogany color with some rudy red highlights showing through with a tan creamy head with fair retentionleaving bits of webby lacing down the glass

Very earthy aromas with some woody boubon heat comming through and deep burnt carmell notes as well.

Lots of clean barrel wood tastes upfront with sweet vanallia candied carmell,not as boozy as the aroma would indicate.Smoother than anticipated,lacks complexity has clean sharp bitterness with a citrusy edge. Lacking carbonation with a syrupy edge that i'm not too fond of. Leaves bitter chocolate lingering with sone slight soured tartness. Not harsh,just not real pleasurable. Not a beer that i would drink again,but not repulsive either. Kind of boring,had a hard time finishing the entire bottle,the first half went down twice as easy as the last half.

jcdiflorio, Oct 13, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

A - good dark color for a stout, a little disappointed by the lack of head, around a quarter inch.

S - good, strong smell with a hint of a possible coffee flavor.

T - the initial taste was good, but the immediate aftertaste was pure alcohol. I felt like I had just done a shot instead of drinking a beer

M - I swished a mouthful around to get different tastes, and it gave me a slightly numb feel due to the high alcohol content.

O - a very potent brew, high ABV with a strong alcohol taste. I was disappointed by this one, and I am a fan of stouts. I sampled it next to Guinness and Left Handed Milk Stout, and preferred both of those. I think if this beer were 2-3% lower ABV, it would compare much more favorably, because it did have a good initial flavor.

afoltz2, Jan 28, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

I have to admit I purchased this beer because of the name. After trying this beer I had to read the reviews of others and was surprised with the high scores. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

I had the 22oz bottle and used an Imperial Pint glass. The pour was black with a nice tan head. I did not have the problems others have had with it foaming up too much.

The taste was very oaky with chocolate, malt and black cherry notes. It had a very acrid taste that made this unenjoyable to drink. I kept thinking that it would smooth out when it warmed up and it never did.

The reviews of this beer are all over the map. Some people experiencing LOTS of head and others none. Makes me think that there are bottling problems with this one.

My recommendation: Buy at your own risk.

Herrless, Jul 14, 2006
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company