New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Pour from the tap to a medium head that lingers for a bit then mellows to a white cream around the rim of the glass. Dark, blood red in color. One can easily confuse this for a sweet stout or porter if not careful. It has a sweetness that can only be described as "aged". High in alcohol which when combined with the sweetness makes it kinda like as fine liquor. Only about 2% bitter and extremely smooth. I want the dragon that makes this milk!

~Jonathan Passow

imaguitargod, Feb 29, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer has quickly become one of my personal favorites, although I've noticed that it's not for everyone, due to how strong it is.

It's color is black as pitch, it's smell, sweet and rich.

It has a smooth feel in the mouth, I could detect oaken flavors in it as well as chocolate and coffee undertones. It delivers a very nice aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.

I also thought it to be very good while enjoying a steak.

BrandonNyte, Feb 18, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Dragon's Milk on tap at Bob's Bar in Columbus, Ohio. Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Beautiful black, huge fluffy head.

Smell: Oaky for sure. Some vanilla. Roasty aromas. Smells like a barrel!

Taste: Very rich and complex. It hits you with sugars, dark chocolate, milk.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, somewhat creamy. Right carbonation and great body.

Drinkability: Very good. A sipper, but a great one. Easy to drink.

DoubleSimcoe, Oct 15, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap at the new holland restaurant

A-pitch black with a moca head that retains
S-oaky under tones. Smells very sweet
T-very smooth chocolate. Almost tastes like a mudslide or chocolate milk
M-light bodied and very pleasant
D-very drinkable. The smoothness really impresses me here

brew3crew, Feb 05, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Man, I love winter. Not only for the snow and the crisp, cold air, but for the BEER!! And this one is definitely one that I can't wait to get my hands on as soon as it is released. Maybe it's because I'm also a big bourbon fan, but I really like this beer. In the nose, you can gather right away that this beer has spent some time in bourbon barrels. It has aromas of bourbon, toasted marshmallow, vanilla, sweet cream, chocolate, and a hint of spice. I also love the mouthfeel! Nice and creamy, (feels and tastes like there was some lactose thrown in to provide residual sugars) with a roundness and depth that just fills the mouth with goodness. The only downside to this beer is that (at least out of the 22oz bottles) the head is a little thin and tends to disappear quite quickly. I'd love it if the head were a little creamier and stayed around a little longer. Nonetheless, this is still one of my favorite winter beers. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it!

sudsface69, Dec 06, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

for those who notice such thing, the label has apparently changed, its a Stone-type imprint label

A - i had to double check the bottle, this is an ALE, right? looks like a stout! pours a very inky black with a 2 1/2 finger thick tan head that is Duvel-esque in longevity, and darkens as it shrinks

S - has a distinct aroma thats a combination of vanilla and amaretto with an alcohol kick at the back

T - Holy.... What The.... Is That...!?!? What an unusual and unexpected flavor combination, the vanilla and almond/amaretto followed from the aroma, but its also very sour like sour milk, but not sickening, even has a slight chocolate twang

M - very smooth, but sour, have to enjoy a nice sour pucker to like this

D - as drinkable as dragon-fire soured milk, a little lower because of the sourness, but still damn good, i really like this

sinstaineddemon, Apr 16, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a dark brown, near black, color with brown highlights around the edges. Mild cream head. Minimal lacing. Apperance is nothing special.

Nose is awesome - boozy, chocolate, malty, dark fruit and oak wonderfulness. Taste is much of the same - very boozy, with strong bourbon and oak flavors. The bottle says "oak aged" but there are strong bourbon notes at play here. This thing is seriously delicious - bourbon fans will be in heaven. I was in love at the very first sip. Generally, "boozy" tends to be a bit of a negative descriptor - but here? Total joy.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Carbonation is absolutely spot on. Just a smidge on the thin side.

Wow, what a beer. I came into this thing with no expectations, but was absolutely floored almost from the first sip. Tremendous oak aged beer. I plan to load up the next time I'm in a state where it's distributed.

Mavajo, Dec 31, 2010

Bomber into pint

Appearance- Dark brown with a great sold head, like a porter

Smell- Oak, vanilla, rasin with a hint of alchohal. The smell is wonderful, and strong, apparent as soon as you open the bottle.

Taste- Again like the smell, some roasted notes are apparent but not like its appearence would suggest. Caramel, a great oak vanilla falvor is what is most noticable, it's balanced and complex. There is a warming effect from the alchohal to finish. This is a great brew.

Mouthfeel- Thick and chewy, with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability- This was one of my first high end beers that I ever had and one I will continue to return to. This is a great beer, and a good interpertaion of the style. One that to be savored but can be enjoyed in more than one serving.

Burl41, Dec 16, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer came a slightly murky dark brown with cherry red highlights and a thin off white head. Smells of oak, brandy, and other sour woody notes with undertones of chocolate and dark sour fruits. Tastes of an initial wild cherry and wonderfully tart plumb sourness with a big oak, citrus and lilac dryness. The malt base that ties all of these together is thin and sweet chocolate and vanilla with a nice wild and musky sour fruitiness. The 10% alcohol isn’t detected on the nose or the taste at all. Fantastic and original flavor combinations here. If this isn’t original, someone please tell me of more options that are this wonderful and well blended. The mouth feel is light with a tingly carbonation. I’ll definitely track this one down again!

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 30, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured with not much head... the amount that was there was a nice frothy Chocolate Milk color. It was gone quickly.

The opaque pour into the glass spoke volumes of what was to come.

The aroma was FANTASTIC! Heavy dose of rich vanilla and a hint of bourbon.

The rich chocolatey taste with a Brandy like flavor, gives way to a lovely oaky finish.

Not a whole lot of bubbles, but that works for me.

The higher alcohol content definitely makes this a 1-2 bottle beer, but what a great bottle it'll be.

chadu, Nov 16, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

My first New Holland brew and looking forward to it after years of hearing about them. It pours dark black with a tan head that slowly settles to a consistent lacing around the top. The aroma is sweet of cocoa and vanilla with a hit of bourbon. Very nice though.

Wow, the first sip that is all I have to say. The bourbon is very prominent from beginning to end on this one. Good grief that is outstanding. It is sweet, hot and toasty. The finish is so good and just with a light touch of vanilla. The lasting flavor of homemade vanilla ice cream and bourbon is awesome. I absolutely loved this beer and so glad I picked this up on my road trip.

lonestar4lunch, May 24, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Bought this in the new 22oz bomber. Poured out a mohogony black. formed a big pilowy head in my Pint. the smell was great, that of sweet rasins, coffee, milk and honey. The taste is awsome. Sweet chocolate, toffee, and espresso. It also has just the right carbonation with a small alcohol burn and a thin mouthfeel that lets you enjoy big gulps at a time. This is very easy to drink which always is most important in my book. I am now glad New Holland switch to a bomber style for this beer, I can easily put one down in one sitting.

ToggleEyes, Jan 07, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

I've had this in bottles many times so I decided to try a half barrel of it at home.

Appearance: Very dark brown, perhaps mahogany if you look through it at a light. Nice creamy head, lots of lacing, probably more than I remember from bottled versions.

Nose: The first few glasses out of the keg are unbelievably good. Chocolate, woody, toffee, some vanilla and bourbon. Sweet, caramelized sugar. Some of the alcohol is there when it warms up a bit.

Taste: Mirrors the nose, but even more complex. Smooth, bourbon flavors up front. Then some vanilla and maltyness. Finish is chocolate goodness.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation, but I was also using 85% N2/15% CO2. The partial pressure CO2 was probably a bit off, but frankly I enjoyed it anyway. About the same bite as the bottle has, so it couldn't have been too far off. Medium body, very creamy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Just remember to stand up once in a while and take stock of your facilities before you get in trouble.

isubsmith, Jul 06, 2009
4.66/5  rDev +17.1%

I've had this on tap a number of times at Jacs (Madison). And while my wife loves it, I've always felt overwhelmed by its bourbon-barrel booziness. But somehow now that I'm having it from a 12 oz. bottle, I find it enchanting. Seems counter-intuitive that the alcohol would be better hidden coming from a bottle than from a tap. But the vanilla roundness and lactose sweetness play front and center, and I now love it.

martyl1000, Jun 14, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a chilled tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Really cranked the pour and at first there was no head. Then, a 1/4" head magically popped up! Very attractive reddish black in color with a tan head.

-Smell 5.0: Oh, wow. What a bouquet on this beer. First, the grains and hops hit and then immediately the vanilla and wood resins from the oak hit you. There's also this dark sugar essence in here...wonderful.

-Taste 5.0: Front is slightly malty with a very subdued sweetness. Middle is BIG with malt, raisin, caramel and oak tannins and vanilla. Finish is also big with more sweetness and vanilla and slightly tart on the edges of the tongue. Aftertaste is a monster and this is where you get hit with the hops...and the oak tannins again. Just an amazing beer experience.

-Mouthfeel 4.5: Well-balanced level of carbonation and the warming properties of the ABV are very noticeable (and enjoyable) in this brew.

-Overall 4.5: Just a fantastic beer that takes everything you may have heard about Innis & Gunn and multiplies it by at least five. This is a beer for fans of big ABV beers, but also a beer for fans of BEER. This brew is fantastic and worth every penny you will spend tracking it down. Worried about paying $5 shipping to get a big bottle of this? Dont. Just order it and order it now. Paradise awaits. WARNING: the ABV in this baby will creep up on you and knock you off your perch. I'm just saying.

BeerDocT, Oct 18, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

i had this on draft at the nachbar last week and it was awesome. it tastes, looks, and feels far superior on draft than from the bottle. the beer is dark as hell but masks the alcohol pretty well. it has some chocolate/coffe scents, and a bit of a taste, but not too much. $5 pints are some good news, man.

Steaks, Jan 16, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber, into a large snifter.

Apperance a very dark brown, when held to the light, you can see a hint of dark, ruby red. A thin strip of off white head rimming the glass.

Smell was more like a whiskey, or bourbon, with a hint of vinilla.

Taste, was to say the least, awesome! A heavey alcohol/ bourbon flavor up front. A malty flavor sort of takes over, then gives way to an oaky, wood flavor, and finishes with more whiskey/alcohol taste left in the your month.

Mouthfeel is strong, heavy and warm.

Drinkabilty, well, if I could get this in Arizona, it would always be in my fridge. I enjoyed this beer a lot, one of the better beers I've had in the last year! I'll be seeking out more of this!

buffettfan, Oct 30, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

I've had this multiple times and am reviewing this purely from memory. This is just an amazing combination of roasted malts, vanilla, and bourbon. I can drink this at anytime whether it's on a cold winter night or outside in the heat (I ordered it while sitting outside on a 90 degree day, just because I saw it on tap), which is saying something for a beer this type of beer. This beer was my first of New Holland's and I've been aggresively seeking out anything in their high gravity series ever since.

jonvan04, Aug 26, 2010
4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

A dang good beer overall! Just had it for the first time, purchased at a Giant Eagle in a 22oz bottle, purchased last month just poured April 1.

A - can you say black? Very black, no see through light with this beer. Just plain out black.. looks deep and strong with a very minimal head and good lacing.

S - sweet and divine. Almost like dark dark fudge chocolate brownies with a hint of bourbon and a lot of vanilla. Yum

T - follows the smell with more chocolate than vanilla or Bourbon. Although they are still present. Semi sweet but not overly sweet at all. Has some nice tones of vanilla and Bourbon going on here

M - heavy and not light or soapy at all. Nice and you can taste this for about 5 mins after your last drink. Nice mouth feel.

O - awesome, one of the best stouts in a long time I've tasted. Overall 4.75, near perfect . Also tastes minimally boozy for being 11% alcohol.
( this particular stout varys from batch to batch) I luckily managed to snag the 11% alcohol batch woohoo ;)

bman13, Apr 01, 2014
4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

A- thick, oily and nearly jet black in appearance, with thing tan head the dissipated pretty quickly.

S- sweet caramel and coffee scent. The bourbon/alcohol smell is fairly discrete.

T- the caramel scent gives way to a big mouthful of vanilla flavor. It is by far the most prevalent tasting note here and it is delicious. It is followed by coffee and oak and finishes with a taste of bourbon and caramel as it goes down. There is minimal alcohol burn. It's incredible.

M- this is a thick beer. There is slight carbonation, but otherwise it is fairly smooth. Most definitely a sipping beer.

O- after being fairly let down by the (in my opinion) overhyped Brooklyn Black Ops, this bourbon barrel stout blew me away. Smooth and delicious with just the right amount of vanilla. It seems the bourbon aged brews are having quite a moment. I see news ones every time I go to my local beer shop. This one to me, though, will definitely be one I'll pick up whenever I come across it.

AxMad, May 23, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours out a super-dark chocolate brown color, with a head of toasted light gold/tan. The head scatters to form a crown in less than a minute, and tiny pinprick-like lace dots are left on the glass.

Aroma offers wonderful warming tones of wood and vanilla, and maybe not much else, although a treacle sweetness enters, most likely the hyped-up malts a-talkin'. I'm just digging the vanilla and wood, it's very nice.

I LOVE THIS. I took a good 10 minutes to just sit and ponder several sips, and I think there is exceptional flavor happening here. Not even the most complex, maybe, but it's wonderful stuff. I think of honey (especially the candy Bit O' Honey), graham crackers (put 'em together and you get Golden Grahams), vanilla, oak, sherry-soaked raisins and grapes, toffee, treacle, citrus-prickly hops, and cloves. Even with all that, the word that comes to mind is "mellow"...and a very good mellow, at that.

Smooth, slick, round, gentle, silky...caresses the tongue and delivers just a touch of carbonation sizzle. Really nice in this department as well.

It's the 2010 vintage, so I'll bet it gets even better in a year. The ABV is listed as 10% on the bottle (not 9) and the label itself calls this a stout. It drinks more like an American strong ale, but who cares what it's called. This is pure magnificence in liquid form. If there was no other way to get this than to suck on a dragon's tit, I'd probably do it. I'd think about it, anyway.

Nah, I'd do it.

Metalmonk, Oct 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Just found a 12 oz four-pack of this at Woodlake-Kohler, after experiencing a Bourbon Stout in small glasses at Central Waters Brewery in Amherst Wisconsin, which I was not permitted to buy a growler of. (I settled for their Coffee Stout, which is also excellent.) Dragon's Stout is comparable. Delicious, full-bodied. Outrageously expensive, perhaps, but comparable to that on draft at Central Waters. The 10% alcohol content is shocking for a stout, which one expects to be low-alcohol and low calorie.

JamesTobin, Oct 29, 2013

cwyeary, Aug 31, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

22 oz. bomber bottle that was nicely silk screened with a picture of a big oak reclaimed Bourbon barrel and a black dragon with three spikes at the end of his tail in front of the barrel. On the right side of the bottle is the Govt. warning and New Holland's symbol, a windmill. Left of the picture and towards the back of bottle is 3 nicely worded paragraphs that tells you all about this beer you're holding in your hand. In simpler terms they you tell you that this is their Crown Jewel, it's barrel aged in Bourbon barrels, and the taste is very complex. Hopefully they can back up those words with this beer!

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was pitch black with little light shining through it. I held it up to the light and everything, very little light was even remotely shining through this beer. Although the color was very nice, the head of foam was disappointing. All I got was just a medium sized skim of tan colored foam and that dissipated into a tiny amount of rings and barely any lace at all around the glass.

Smell: This is one beer I didn't need to swirl around the glass for an hour to get the slightest hint of anything out of it, the aroma was just there. The aroma was that of dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, sweet caramel, hint of dark fruits, and plenty of oak in the background.

Taste: I was hoping that this beers taste wasn't going to be as disappointing as New Holland's other high gravity series beer Blue Goat. I'll tell you they were right when they said on the bottle that it was a complex ale. The flavors in this were just great! In it had the flavors of coffee, dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, molasses, hint of chocolate and some oak in the background. There was at the end just the slightest trace of alcohol. This is one of their high gravity series that was "high" in flavor. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, and with an aftertaste of dark roasted malt and alcohol. The alcohol was like the Dragon on the label, it didn't bother to hide in the barrel, it was just there. I know it sounds stupid, but after drinking more than half the bottle it makes sense. :-)

Drinkability: I know some of the reviews of this beer were bad, which means I got a good bottle of this. The one I had was at the peak of it's excellence. If most of the bottles were of this quality, I would defiantly buy again!!! They clearly backed up their words on the bottle!!! I can now understand why this is their Crown Jewel.

AltBock, Aug 03, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Brewed with Premium 2-row, Cara 45, Munich malts. Honey, de-bittered Black Belgian candy sugar. Nugget and Willamette hops.
OG=18.1P, 8.0% ABV, 87.4 IBU.

Opaque dark-brown with dark amber highlights, forming a small, but sticky dark-tan head of fine bubbles. Carbonation is very mild. Retention is poor and lacing is good. Aroma begins with rather mild resinous hops, pronounced pineapple, a wholesome sweet chocolate undercurrent, and distant sweet Munich grain husk. Rolling the brew in my goblet glass produces the aroma of vanilla beans. Mouthfeel is silken and syrupy with a medium-dense body. Taste begins with a surprising and very pronounced milk chocolate character, similar to Rogue Chocolate Stout, followed by vanilla bean, husken malt, mild herbal and earthy hops, a brief whiff of alcohol, and a lingering, semi-astringent syrupy finish with suggestions of oak. Alcohol is mildly perceptable, and becomes slightly more apparent as it warms. The bourbon and oak character is most pronounced in the finish, but it is relatively mild. The aging in oak barrels has imparted noticeable characteristics in the mouthfeel and carbonation level. Cleanly fermented.

Considering the mild, yet immediate pinous hop aroma, I was pleasantly surprised that this was not your typical overhopped barleywine. This is amazingly well-balanced, rich with subtle complexities, very smooth, and most importantly, easy to drink. Another winner from the alchemists at New Holland!

2004 Edition-(10% ABV, 32 IBU per the website, which doesn't make Zymurgical sense) Comparing this to last years, this aroma is much richer with milk chocolate...the resinous hops are not at all evident...lots of vanilla and mild bourbon character. Vanilla is hugely evident with winey oak character in the late nose. Mouthfeel is very smooth with mild carbonation. Silken with a medium-dense, syrupy body. Wonderful stuff. Taste is out of this world...lots of milk chocolate, mild roasted malts, syrupy malt body in counterpoint with tons of vanilla and a late oakiness with moderate woody astringency. Bitterness is mild but nicely balanced with lingering notes of bourbon in the finish. Great stuff, I think better than last years batch. Alcohol is never intrusive but sometimes evident in warmth only.

Upon re-review 02-23-05, I am picking up distinct sourness...the chocolate is nearly all gone, and the silken mouthfeel is now aceticly harsh. Gobble your stores up now, it's quickly depreciating with age. Those oak barrels must have added some lacto or something that is going crazy in the bottles.

Mitchster, Feb 21, 2004
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company