Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev -48.6%

Pours an odd looking murky brown sludge with a fizzy tan head. No clarity. On the nose there is tons of chocolate and aggressive burnt wood. This is a real one directional aroma. The taste tells the same story: too much wood that somehow brings some chocolate to the table. The more delicate notes of the base beer are completely overwhelmed by the oak. Low drinkability. One of the worst fiscal decisions I’ve made lately...

2.08/5  rDev -47.9%

A: Pours a dark black with a thin tan head.

S: Toffee, caramel, and roasted malts.

T: Coffee, caramel, and roast. A touch of bourbon with some woody oak notes towards the end. Strong, hot alcohol presence on the finish was a big turnoff. This just shouldn't happen in an 8.5% beer.

M: Good medium body, good carbonation.

D: This brings me back to the hot alcohol, which really ruined this beer. It became less appealing as it warmed as well, which made the hot alcohol much stronger.

Clearly, the hot alcohol was my biggest problem with this beer. I would give this another shot if it was cellared for a few months as it can possibly mellow out the booze, but from this first impression, this was a tough one to get down.

2.1/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

No balance to this beer. Everything overwhelmed by the alcohol.

2.11/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A: Clear, but as dark as used motor oil; just a hint of red mahogany shows through on the fringes. Head is 2 fringes of froth the color of toasted marshmallows, and lasts a good while before giving way to thin lacing.

S: Sweet malt, dark fruit, chocolate, and booze. A lot of booze...

T: Malt is sweet, almost cloying. Then there's an onslaught of flavors: dark chocolate, raisins, coffee, vanilla beans... It's a bit overwhelming for a brief moment, but then comes a harsh kick in the mouth as a bitter, chemical taste comes through. I can't quite place it, but it's as if someone poured bad grain alcohol into the vat to up the potency. Eventually it fades, leaving a residual taste of butter and fruit jam on burnt toast.

M: That heavy booziness on the nose is overpowering in the mouth. Some imperial stouts hide their high ABV's well, but not so this one. I can hardly pay attention to the carbonation or other sensory qualities. There's also a dry, nearly astringent finish, not that I'm worried about that at this point. Seriously, I've had 40% ABV whiskey that was smoother and less boozy than this stuff!

O: Looked good, smelled fine. Unfortunately, it all fell apart when it hit my mouth. An expensive drain pour.

2.15/5  rDev -46.1%

22oz brown bomber with a cool white silk screen label with a dragon and barrel on it. Severed into a nonic glass. Very deep mahogany color with some rudy red highlights showing through with a tan creamy head with fair retentionleaving bits of webby lacing down the glass

Very earthy aromas with some woody boubon heat comming through and deep burnt carmell notes as well.

Lots of clean barrel wood tastes upfront with sweet vanallia candied carmell,not as boozy as the aroma would indicate.Smoother than anticipated,lacks complexity has clean sharp bitterness with a citrusy edge. Lacking carbonation with a syrupy edge that i'm not too fond of. Leaves bitter chocolate lingering with sone slight soured tartness. Not harsh,just not real pleasurable. Not a beer that i would drink again,but not repulsive either. Kind of boring,had a hard time finishing the entire bottle,the first half went down twice as easy as the last half.

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

A - good dark color for a stout, a little disappointed by the lack of head, around a quarter inch.

S - good, strong smell with a hint of a possible coffee flavor.

T - the initial taste was good, but the immediate aftertaste was pure alcohol. I felt like I had just done a shot instead of drinking a beer

M - I swished a mouthful around to get different tastes, and it gave me a slightly numb feel due to the high alcohol content.

O - a very potent brew, high ABV with a strong alcohol taste. I was disappointed by this one, and I am a fan of stouts. I sampled it next to Guinness and Left Handed Milk Stout, and preferred both of those. I think if this beer were 2-3% lower ABV, it would compare much more favorably, because it did have a good initial flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

I have to admit I purchased this beer because of the name. After trying this beer I had to read the reviews of others and was surprised with the high scores. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

I had the 22oz bottle and used an Imperial Pint glass. The pour was black with a nice tan head. I did not have the problems others have had with it foaming up too much.

The taste was very oaky with chocolate, malt and black cherry notes. It had a very acrid taste that made this unenjoyable to drink. I kept thinking that it would smooth out when it warmed up and it never did.

The reviews of this beer are all over the map. Some people experiencing LOTS of head and others none. Makes me think that there are bottling problems with this one.

My recommendation: Buy at your own risk.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

8.5% ABV. Dark brown, ruby edges, small tan head that was gone in less than a minute, very little lacing. I'm not getting much out of the aroma. I'm really hoping it's because it was poured rather cold. I'll give it a few minutes to warm up. OK, starting to warm now, some sweet, light fruity aroma starts to come out, some whiskey-ish alcohol, red grapes, and light chocolate. Flavor is a little strange to me. There's some very light, almost watery chocolate flavor going on, definite oakiness throughout, and a grassy, earthy component in the finish. There's the grape flavor again. What the hell is this? I'm starting to get a stale red wine flavor in the aftertaste. Ugh, this thing finished bad. It's very light bodied for the color. Maybe I just don't like it because it's dark and expect it to drink like a stout or a porter. It tastes more like a doppelback fermented with ale yeast and aged in oak. The taste and aroma does improve slightly as it reaches room temperature. Not my thing, but hey, I'll finish it anyway.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

I was sadly disappointed in this one.

A: Poured well a deep rich color but with absolutely no head. I knew I was in trouble...was expecting a rich thick head but got probably a 1/16 inch that fizzled quickly.

S: Smell was malt and chocolate. Was thinking maybe I was being too harsh.

T: IMHO, terrible. Let me stress I am a malty beer lover and do not like overly hoppy beers like IPAs. This was like drinking maple syrup however.

Just not very impressed with this one at all.

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Deep brownish black body with a lovely huge monster tan foamy head that includes some huge hollow bubbles. Like what you get if you made a root beer float. nose is a soft chocolatey malt feel with a bit of smokieness on the side. Now this is where the brew goes south for me... Enters the mouth kide day old cold coffee and quickly sours on the second half of the palate, which is not what I expexted. Finishes with that same sour and maybe a hint of nuttiness. Where is the oak and I was expecting a little more dark richness, and complexity from the look in the glass and from what I had heard about this beer, but polar oppisites. Odd, but I guess I could have had a bad bottle.?

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours black with just a little light shining through with no head and looks like it is flat.

S - Big oak smell right up front, some booze, coffee, and maybe a little black olive juice.

T - A lot of Oak and Bourbon flavors and pretty much overpower anything else in the beer.

M - Oily and thin bodied.

D - Wow does this suck, I think they just said "hey will put this in Oak barrels and it will be good because everyone else is doing it". The Oak and bourbon are way overpowering, just bad brewing in my opinion.

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

This is a review of later (than the previous review) bottles i have had of Dragon's Milk, purchased last week from a tiny bit further away from the brewery (Ann Arbor). The following phenomenon is consistent across three bottles worth that i have tried, pulled from at least 2 different cases (bought my own case, some from the shelf, and one from the cooler, and all three groups taste the same).

I now completely understand the disparity in reviews on this beer.

This bottle was sharp and acrid, filled the glass 95% of the way with foam as soon as I started pouring it, and bears little resemblance to the bottle that i previously reviewed.

There is a sour twist to the smell of the beer, and like i said it foams up ridiculously. It still has the good, rich brown color. Upon tasting it, the sourness is even stronger, overpowering what little remnants there are of the smooth, creamy dark ale that i loved in the earlier bottle.

I do not know exactly what causes these differences; it seemed like a bad batch but I can't really be sure. A look at some earlier BA reviews shows that at least occasionally, other people have definitely encountered this bastard cousin of the "real" Dragon's Milk over the course of the brew's existance. Much more so than can be chalked up to the normal occurance of beer going bad.

It is rather disappointing to have fallen in love with a beer that lives 5 states away, and end up nabbing a case of that beer which tastes nothing like what you liked at the brewery. New Holland needs to figure out what is causing so many "bad" bottles, and fix this issue, both in sour taste and in overcarbonation.

When this beer is good, it is one of the best i've had, but I can't really support the sour version.

Be careful with this beer, and if you get a sour tasting bottle, know that there are MUCH better ones out there.

2.35/5  rDev -41.1%

I had been anticipating this one for a while, finally got to try some on tap. My local tappery called this one a "American Strong Ale"; I think American Stout - as classified here - is a closer category. Definitely not enough hop backbone to balance out the overbearing sweetness of this brew.

The color is fine - a dark, opaque, stout-ish brown.
By the aroma alone you can already tell this is going to be one sweet beer - literally, sweet. The taste is not bad and somewhat interesting on first sip; tons of malt, caramel, sticky sweetness - but as you may have gathered from my tone, this sticky sweetness quickly caught up with me and left me reaching for water, not enthused about finishing the glass.

I guess this could classify best as a "dessert beer", served in small quantities when you want overly-sweet, imbalanced beer, but otherwise, I'd avoid it.

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%

My first impression of this beer was great. It had a unique smell...very full and some hints of vanilla.

The color was dark brown with a tan head that disipated quickly.

My first taste was like "Wow! This is a great beer!"

And then I had a few more sips and it became very hard to drink.

The flavor is so full and sweet that I had a hard time drinking another. It really does have a syrupy taste to it.

I picked up a 4-pack of bottles and I found myself choking down the last three. It's just too much. Too filling, too thick. Overall, it's hard to drink. The taste really isn't that horrible...it actually has a unique and rather pleasant flavor...but it doesn't sit well with me.

It's worth trying for sure. The first few sips were great.

2.42/5  rDev -39.3%

New Holland Dragon’s Milk: from a bottle. Pours a deep, almost impenetrable brown/black. Not much head, what it had was off white, and left a thick coating down the sides. The aroma is sweet, and although, its probably just the name, smells like a chocolate milkshake.

The first sip, and damn, this was not what I expected, it is extremely thick/creamy and smooth, taste’s very much like bailey’s and coffee, except even more sweet and almost cloying. Really unusual tasting beer, there is a definite smokiness to this brew as well. I can’t say I like this beer, and then after much consideration, I realized why: this beer is very similar in smell and taste to Ensure, the protein drink. The bottle notes that the alcohol level is 10%, but its hard to note. Cripes, I can tell this is well made, but I’ll have to choke down at least half of the bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -39.3%

appearance - Black garnet with little head. Normal amount of carbonation for a stout and an appearance to be expected of a stout.

smell - Potent. At first whiff, vanilla-oak then immediately overcome by only what I can describe as bourbon alcohol.

taste & mouthfeel - This stout is smooth going with a flash of alcohol at the end. It's hard to overcome the potent oak/bourbon alcohol. If you focus enough you can catch hints of the usual stout flavors of chocolate and coffee. They are quickly replaced by strong American oak.

overall - If I was a bourbon fan, this might be a stout for me. However, the stout aspects that I love were overwhelmed. I wish I had some dark chocolate to clean my palate.

poured into a stein

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

This beer came highly recommended. A dark brown color with hints of a red hue along the side of the glass. A substantial head formswith a beige color, that laces slowly down the glass.The scents are very nice some of the chocolate malt and some vanilla aromas are there, with a touch oak wood from the barrel. The taste is very surprising, immensely sour, mostly a fruity sourness with cherries and some lemon, there is some of the chocolate flavor at the end. In the mouth it was very carbonated, it was present from the beginning to the end of each taste. Drinkability, not so much the sourness makes it difficult to have several, but it is truely unique. I would recommend at least trying this beer once.

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this one in a trade with boatshoes a while back. Thanks a lot man!

From a bomber into a snifter.
Vintage: 2010

APPEARANCE: A brown, thin, transparent pour yields a one finger, medium looking, tan head with good retention. Dark brown body with lots of active carbonation everywhere. Very high levels of carbonation for the style. Head slowly fades to a good foam cap. A good wisp remains until the end and leaves some decent lacing down the glass. An alright head on this one, but the body is just to thin and light for the style.

SMELL: Medium nose of roasted malt, caramel and coffee, as well as a decent dose of sweet milk sugar and vanilla. Oak notes from the barrel are there as well. A nice nose for sure, though it could be a little bolder.

TASTE: More oak in the flavor than in the nose. Oak, some roasted malt, then lots and lots of alcohol. Lots of spicy booze for the ABV. A bit of bitter chocolate and light vanilla notes at the finish, but most of the nicer characteristics about the nose have been replaced by spicy alcohol. A bold and lingering aftertaste has hints of chocolate and bitterness, but is mostly alcoholic and metallic even. It’s like they brewed a quad and threw in some imperial stout for fun. Not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but not right either.

PALATE: Medium body and medium, prickly carbonation. Not creamy of smooth really, goes down fine and finishes dry on the palate. Some heat and spicy booze linger on the palate. Too hot and not creamy enough.

OVERALL: Not an epic failure per se, but nothing even close to a success either. The spicy boozy qualities just didn’t fit, making the stout taste somewhat metallic. I’m not quite sure what went wrong here. Perhaps one brewer wanted to make an imperial stout and the other wanted to make a quad, so they just made both, blended them, and threw it all into oak barrels as a band aid. Whatever happened, it didn’t quite work out all that well, and it certainly didn’t quench my thirst for a stout. Dare to be different, I guess. Glad to have finally been able to try this one, but I’ll pass on it in the future. Thanks for the fun trade boatshoes.

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Too strong the balance was off after a couple sips

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%