New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros

ZPB, Dec 23, 2011

JJFordick, Sep 21, 2012

beerhawk41, Mar 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

A disappointment considering I am generally a fan of New Holland's brews. It poured rather flat and the taste was quite overwhemling. The strong oak flavor overwhelmed all of it supposed complexities. It was a beer that I had to fight with to drink.

Katahdin, Nov 12, 2009

jagada, Sep 03, 2012

jawneyt, Mar 26, 2012

mwar, Dec 30, 2012

Envelopes, Oct 18, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured out a really dark brown. Looked more like a dark porter. I can smell the molasses and chocolate they used on the brew. The taste was milky and smooth with numerous malts but the taste of alcohol came on strong and it was too carbonated.

I wouldn't mind it of I never had one again. Nothing special.

toetag39, Dec 06, 2010

redlegacy, Dec 01, 2012

ThisSpaceForRent, Sep 20, 2012

chicagogirlie, Jan 02, 2012

Brushkanna, Jul 12, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a wine glass for maximum enjoyment.

Appearance: Opaque and black, with soft hints of red and/or mahongany. Thin tan head which does not stick around very long. Doesn't look overly thick or too thin, I like the look of this brew.

Smell: Immediately smell the oak. It's woody to the point of being perhaps just a touch over the top. Very little hop action, but the malt is prevalent in a strange way. Upon further review, it definitely smellls like merlot or cabernet sauvignon. I don't want my beer to smell like wine, so I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Simply put, much like red wine poured into a stout. Gentle carbonation allows the oak flavor combined with some chocolate/vanilla candy taste to envelop the palate. Strange grape attribute is not welcome here. Aftertaste is all wine.

Drinkability: I don't think I would purposely buy this beer again. If somebody else were to buy it and offer a taste, I would not decline, but only because we sometimes need to be reminded that price does not always equal quality.

Bought this after forty-five minutes at the store, staring at an endless supply of beer. Kinda wish I would have opted for my first decision, but then again, without moving forward, I can never refine my taste. *Shrug* No go, New Holland.

Lauthaha, Oct 12, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -36.4%

On tap at Fork Chicago.

This was beer recommended to me by the bartender. I got it in a short glass (6oz? 8oz?). I'm not thrilled about high abv beers, and this one was no different. All I tasted was the alcohol. I felt like I was drinking scotch with this one. Appearance is very dark with tan head. Smell was all alcohol to me, as was the taste.

Overall, I'd pass on this again. Not my kind of beer. Way too alcoholy for my tastes

Northsider, Jul 06, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Okay, there are a lot of great reviews of this beer and I must've missed the train because it was very very average. This tasted like alcohol from a home brew with to much water added to the primary.

A: Very white head with small amount of lacing when poured into a bar glass from a 12oz bottle. Bottle was dark color like a stout with a decent amount of light coming through.

S: Mostly chocolate roast, with a twinge of sour milk (Which was a good thing).

T: Alcohol with a watered down milk chocolate flavor, and did get and woody flavor from the barrels. The kind of wet sweetness was average. It was very drinkable, just not what I expected from this "High Gravity" series from New Holland. All they did was bump up the alcohol, I didn't get any new body, and I used to really enjoy Dragon's Milk.

M: Pleasant, low carbonation, and if you like to use stouts as your main drinking beers, use Dragon's milk.

O: Don't buy this, its expensive here in VA and New Holland seems to be riding on the back of the reputation of the 09 vintage.

YumYumGumGum, Aug 22, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

jorjoria, May 09, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -35.2%

On tap, Autumn Brew Review 2003...

Burly opaque black with a 1/4 inch head of decent persistence. Ring laces. Hugely diacetyl aroma, so much so that its like artificial butter on movie popcorn. The flavor moves beyond that in even stranger directions, quick sweetness, tons of lime juice mid mouth and a crashing finish that reminds me of German Black Forest Chocolate Cake with cherries. Long and lingering impression in the aftertaste. Does have alcohol notes. Geez, this is weird, a little gunky and as far away from any Old Ale as I can think of. I'll give it different -- but I won't say I like it particularly much...

ADR, Sep 07, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -34.7%

Dark cola brown with a slight veil of haze and a frothy, sizzling tan head that dissapears too quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma is immediatly oaky with vanilla and bourbon. It's pleasantly malty with a bit of fruit and earthy notes, not very complex though.

Flavor is not as expected. caramel malt, vanilla, oak, and berries, then an unpleasant sour note as described in other reviews. It finishes tart and astringent, with an almost yogurt-like taste.

Body is light to medium, with loose bubbles of carbonation and a fizzy, then partially-fglat mouthfeel.

I have a feeling that the less favorable reviews of this beer, like this one, are of older bottles. The good reviews are probably fresh bottles. That, or this beer just isn't that good?

AlexJ, Apr 05, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -33.4%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

bamojr, Aug 20, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty dark beer. Almost black. Thin and airy light brown head. Lace is decent. Aroma is of oak, tannins, whiskey and slight caramel. Flavor is dried fruits, wet cardboard, tartness and stale bread. This one is just not hitting the spot as I thought it would. Nothing seems just terribly "off." Maybe a little oxidized. Just really not that good. Bland. I don't even pick up any barrel properties.

Bighuge, Feb 09, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy.

brushpig, May 24, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

head is decent. color is good, but some light is getting through. nose is cardboard and molasses. Unfortunately, that is the taste, too. not worth the price. disappointing, given I've been looking forward to trying this. Based on reviews, I will be much happier with Night Tripper. Looking forward to it.
At this ABV, why is this classified as an american stout, versus a double? though I guess it does taste like a fairly weak american stout with some Old Crow mixed in. or maybe just crystal palace vodka.
It is still Way better than Boak's monster mash. That is my number one worst Impy experience. Still looking forward to Night Tripper. If that is so good, why is New Holland still marketing this?

irs, Mar 16, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aggresive pour yeilds a dark brown, almost porter-like appearance. Good inch of off white, large bubbled head. dissipates slowly, leaving decent lace behind. no complaints here.

Smells like a chocolate porter. dry, very faint bourbon notes. nothing spectacular at all.

This is where it falls apart. Initial taste is a strange and uncomforting astrigency on the tongue. Followed by dryness of a porter that doesnt hold much of a bourbon flavor. After taste is chemically. Alcohol is well hidden tho.

Aside from astringent taste, the beer has a nice weight to it. It isnt too bad in the mouth but it falls apart after.

Drinkable, I dont think so. Im wondering if I can finish it.

imagineiii, Jan 04, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head that quickly goes to a collar.

The aroma is oakey and vinous with a big chocolate and peat malt base and a touch of tart and sour dark fruits. As it warms, old cheese and strong alcohol comes out.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with some vinous alcohol and plums. It has a smooth woody finish. As it warms, a lot of alcoholic and tart (almost sour) fruitiness comes out (cherries, plums). The mouthfeel is medium bodied and velvety.

Overall, it was not as complex as I had expected. I liked the first sip, but the more I drank of it, the less I liked it. The alcoholic tart sourness started to become a bit overbearing. It kind of reminds me of liquid fruit cake.

Beaver13, Apr 13, 2006
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company